Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#320424 - Mon Oct 30 2006 05:23 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
Yep mine is fine as well, I don't use it that much, not that much to say.

Living in a rather rural village, we don't tend to have too many highs or lows so at the moment I am in indifferent mode

Oh actually a high,

Joining the discussion forums

Jon

#320425 - Mon Oct 30 2006 09:19 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario†Canada††
Definte low here; one of my son's classmates and fellow team mates from his football team died in class today. Apparently he fainted and struck his head while falling. One has to wonder whether or not he experienced an embollism or something.
My son is pretty upset, and he wasn't even in class with the boy when it happened. I can't imagine how the poor boy's family is feeling right now.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#320426 - Mon Oct 30 2006 10:42 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Skunkee, that's terrible! It's always such a shame when the young ones die, especially so suddenly. And it's so tough on the friends. We've had several high school football players die here in the last few years, and only one of them was on the field. Some parents have started to wonder if there isn't some drug enhancement issue that's causing problems.

Clarasue, I'm sorry to hear about your accident, too! Car accidents are always so scary. And even if you come out the other side OK, they're such a hassle too.

I don't usually post on this thread, (and I don't use the FT blog, because I actually have two of my own and usually manage to get most things off my chest there,) but I wanted to share my low of the week last week, as a cautionary tale... I went to a Halloween party on Saturday night, and long about 1:00am, after having had only 5 drinks since 8:30, I very suddenly felt very ill, and thought how odd that was because I hadn't really had enough to drink for that kind of reaction. I know my limits intimately. I locked myself in a bathroom, got sick, started sweating, started shaking, my blood pressure and body temp dropped, I started having trouble breathing and could barely stay conscious. When I heard my friend on the other side of the door, I managed to get it unlocked, though I could barely control my body at that point, and she and her husband basically forced water into me and put layers on me and finally managed to get me upright (I'm told I was in the bathroom for over an hour, half of that time alone...) and got me home. I was drugged. At a friends house, at a party I've attended three years in a row. At the time, most of the party-goers thought I was just drunk and stupid, and there's no telling who did it at this point. It was terrible and scary, and I just want all you ladies (and guys too!) to remember that anymore it doesn't even matter if you're in a place you SHOULD be safe. One friend-of-a-friend is all it takes. Don't leave your drinks out of sight. And if you start to feel weird, find a trusted friend to take you home, or to the hospital.

So I guess you could say, my week last week ended pretty well. Midnight rolled around and I was having a lot of fun. But boy did this week start off crummy!

#320427 - Mon Oct 30 2006 11:58 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
I had a good time on Saturday as well, but to have the fun, I drove about 200 miles to get there. I got to see about 40 of my classmates for the first time in ten years. One said something to me, "I know I haven't seen you since graduation." I moved a month after graduation to Dallas. It was a great time had by all.

If anyone is interested in seeing the pictures from it, PM me and I will send a link.

#320428 - Tue Oct 31 2006 01:27 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong† Hong†Kong††††††
Clara I am so sorry to hear about that awful accident
I do hope you are recovered and feel able to face life in traffic again. Accept my commiserations. Poor you.
I am also saddened by your news, Skunkee, it is always so much worse when a young person dies. It was very upsetting for your son , as you say.
Life seems sad at the moment. Thank goodness we have this site to share our troubles in and try to support others.I am very glad of it at times.

#320429 - Tue Oct 31 2006 08:11 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
That was terrible news Skunkee, I just saw it. It can happen to anyone at any time and though rare at school age does happen as it did to my friend's sister. It's a real shame but also does accustom people to it sooner or later as unfortunately it's impossible to avoid for too long with someone they know.
And Lothruin, that is frightening. Did you have any tests to see what it was as it is best to try and find out exactly what got you.

It's a weird blog situation, a few people are having the same problem, one was fixed yesterday but the rest are all doing the same shtick. The new post window has no box for anything to write, and when I open my blog the homepage link and picture on the right don't show up.
I've tried two computers and changed my password but no dice. If I try and edit a title I get an error message as well. These are some clever gremlins.

Edited by satguru (Tue Oct 31 2006 08:59 AM)

#320430 - Tue Oct 31 2006 08:13 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Lothruin that is truly scary - why on earth would anyone think that was a fun thing to do to anybody? Thank goodnes you're alright.
Thanks for the kind thoughts people.
I sent my son to school today, even though he wanted to skip first period because that is the class he was in with this boy. I told him that it would only get harder the longer he put it off.
The news report this morning makes me think that it wasn't striking his head that killed him, but some other issue, like perhaps an embollism. We will have to wait for autopsy reports I suppose - if we ever hear.
My husband says that it's often expected that the team attend the funeral with their jerseys on. I think I will let that be his decision.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#320431 - Tue Oct 31 2006 10:51 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
That is a real shame Skunkee, about the boy in your son's year. It just shows how life can be take, no matter young or old Yes, I think you were right to send your son to school. It is better to get back to some sort of "normality" as soon as possible.
That is really frightening, Lothruin. Why do people do such stupid and silly things? I don't usually go out alone, but always extra careful when out with family and friends.

#320432 - Tue Oct 31 2006 02:49 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Thank you, Ren and Loth for the kind words. I still get the jitters if someone gets too close to us on the road, but I'm getting better. Skunkee, that's so awful for your son's friend. I can just imagine how your son must feel. Is your son's school providing the students with counseling?

Loth, I'm glad that you're feeling better, but you are so right in not letting your drinks out of your sight. To have it happen to you at a friends house makes it all the more horrible. It's so scary thinking that something like that can happen at a place and with people you feel you can trust.

#320433 - Wed Nov 01 2006 08:11 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio†USA††††
Yikes . Such unsettling news all around ~ where does one begin?

- ClaraSue, what an awful thing to happen! All I can come up with to utter is "Thank goodness you survived it OK and that the "road" to recovery is smooth (not to mention accident-free!)".

- Skunkee...how tragic about that young man! Must rattle your son's sense of mortality a LOT (the young instinctively think they're invincible and will live forever). I hope he and all his mates find their way through such a horrible turn of events.

- And Loth! Holy cow! You are SO lucky (although I'm sure it doesn't feel that way for you at the moment). A similar "thing" happened to a guy in my high school class some 30 years ago. We live in a small town, everybody knows everybody and no parties (at least back then) had any strangers mixed in but during one "party" this guy's drink got spiked with something. No one ever was determined to have commited this unsavory thing [good thing, too, because there would have been NO fair 'justice' at the hands of a bunch of young fired-up Ohio boys had we found out who did it ] but the worst part of the story was that the victim of the unknown substance, an otherwise friendly a happy-go-lucky sort of guy, never fully recovered. The hallucinations and resulting trauma of the drug messed his head up beyond repair and, last I heard, he's incarcerated now for something violent - the anger/imbalance never left him. So, bad as your experience was, I am real glad it didn't end up much worse.

Here's to a much more peaceful November ahead to us all. Sounds like October was a total stinker ....

#320434 - Wed Nov 01 2006 11:15 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Sounds possibly like LSD Gats, that can cause flashbacks for life and a friend of mine had to drop out of college after someone put it in her drink, and then she suffered from psychosis and depression on and off ever since, though it may have happened anyway.

Two people's blogs are now working but mine is still down! OK, besides some more photos and a haircut nothing actually happened, but I'd like the option...

#320435 - Wed Nov 01 2006 05:32 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

No idea what caused it as it wasn't just me, but I ended up using Firefox and have got the blog working.
Now if anyone knows how to remove that awful Google toolbar (write protected) and replace my Yahoo one, also as the Firefox popup blocker is useless and the Yahoo one is part of the toolbar attached to IE. If I can't add it I still want to remove Google as it takes up far too much space. It has a part of the top line and then a repeat on the lower one with another row sandwiched in between. Why?

#320436 - Wed Nov 01 2006 06:36 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Thanks guys, it was pretty terrifying at the time, but now it's just sort of another event in my life that serves as a warning. As my residual headache has subsided the crystal clear memories are fading. When I awoke on Sunday, the memory of what happened, everything I went through, was vivid, but now it's sort of whitewashed with relief, and it could also be a side-effect of the drug.

To answer your question, Satguru, no, I didn't have a test. My symptoms match almost exactly a drug called GHB which is used by bodybuilders, and also as a "party" drug, but is also used as a so-called date rape drug, and the effects are fairly pronounced (and also can be deadly) when mixed with alcohol, especially when in unknown dosages, as in my case. Which brings up the point that this action was most likely NOT just for the "fun" of it, it was probably meant to be a precursor to something more sinister, but as soon as I felt something wrong, I locked myself up until I knew a trusted friend was there who could help me. But also, typically, even if a woman suspects she's been assaulted through use of a drug, drug tests aren't usually performed unless requested. GHB flushes out of the system so fast, even if I'd gotten a test first thing the next morning when I awoke, it would probably not have shown the drug, and the test is expensive. Typically, the drugs used as date rape drugs aren't known for long-term effects provided nothing really devastating happens while the drug is active. I'd like to know what it was, but I can't afford to go on what might be a fairly expensive wild goose chase, unfortunately, and since I didn't actually suffer from an assault, the chances of getting much help from the related organizations is pretty slim.

#320437 - Fri Nov 03 2006 03:59 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
A high today! In the local newspaper this evening was the annual notice from the Social Security Department regarding the Christmas Bonus, it gave a list of benefits and said if you are receiving any of them not to apply for the Christmas Bonus as it would be automatic - so I am to receive £85 as I get incapacity benefit. What fun. They introduced the Christmas Bonus a year after the UK and like there, it was £10 initially. Unlike the UK, ours is increased each year in line with inflation, as I said, it is now £85. Next year they will introduce fuel payments and lucky me, I will become a pensioner next year so will get that too.

#320438 - Fri Nov 03 2006 10:22 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South†Australia
Obviousley that's an incentive to grow old

My high this week was the pay rise i received at work! Wow... It was a whole .55 cents!

Yes, it's been a quiet week!

#320439 - Tue Nov 07 2006 05:22 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Oh a high, and WHAT a high! I got a Lucky Ducky badge! You should have heard me, yelling "I got a Lucky Ducky" - the cat thinks that I am crazy.

#320440 - Tue Nov 07 2006 05:29 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong† Hong†Kong††††††
<shakes head sadly> Oh dear me....

#320441 - Tue Nov 07 2006 05:34 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio†USA††††
Well! Harumph indeed. None of my badges have feathers and I think I want some. Care to conduct a little swap, Sue ?

#320442 - Tue Nov 07 2006 05:35 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South†Australia
Ren i agree, Sue has lost the plot! Congratulations though Sue, i mean that is lucky!

#320443 - Tue Nov 07 2006 05:41 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
I wouldn't swap my Lucky Ducky for diamonds!

#320444 - Tue Nov 07 2006 07:43 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Well done dear girl!

#320445 - Tue Nov 07 2006 07:45 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
Actually it couldn't have come on a better day. Today was to have been a real down day as it is the first anniversary of me losing my job. Now it is a happy day instead.

#320446 - Tue Nov 07 2006 08:56 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

It still amazes me what people are capable of doing, the woman who was once only the second person to like me as much as I liked her has gone beyond not replying to my email, she actually returned it! I've seen some stuff online but in nearly 7 years this is the first time anyone's done that. I may be the only person in history for my email to be sent back, and it wasn't a machine bounce as it was a PM system like this one.

I don't half bring out the worst in some people, and always when I'm doing my best. Can anyone top this?

#320447 - Tue Nov 07 2006 09:07 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
How do you mean 'returned it', how do you return an email or PM?

Edited by sue943 (Tue Nov 07 2006 09:08 AM)

#320448 - Tue Nov 07 2006 06:09 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Back to about 1975 when I wrote to a girl whose address came my way and she tore up the letter and sent it back to me. You can expect this from kids but that's the only other time it happened.
This lovely individual copied and pasted my email, put it into the reply and sent it back to me as if she'd sent a normal reply, but when I opened it all it had was my original email, the purpose being to let me know in no doubt "This is what you can do with your email". I'm not surprised it didn't occur to you how this could be done, it may never have occurred to anyone to bother to do until muggins here catches it. Truly the fruits of a twisted mind...

Edited by satguru (Tue Nov 07 2006 06:16 PM)

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943