Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#320839 - Wed Sep 20 2006 08:57 AM Re: September Trivia rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 16 Results

1. A Prince of Wales since 1600

10 points- HRH Prince Albert Edward; Charles, Duke of Cornwall

5 points - James Francis Edward Stuart (2); Frederick, Duke of Cornwall (2), George Augustus, Duke of Cornwall (2)

There were 6 others.

2. A brand of General Motors car

10 points - Cadillac, LaSalle, Oldsmobile, Hummer, Holden

5 points - Pontiac (3)

Not mentioned were Buick, GMC, GM Daewoo, Opel, Saab, Saturn, and Vauxhall.

3. A color in Play-Doh's Color of Cases

10 points - Peach, Red, Orange, White, Yellow, Purple

5 points - green (2)

I originally disallowed some of these answers because the info from the site I found didn't include them. However, I searched some more and found other combinations of colors for the product, so I have given credit for all!

4. A movie with Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart

10 points - The Big Sleep

5 points - Key Largo (5), Dark Passage (2)

Not mentioned was To Have and Have Not, plus Pulp Cinema and Two Guys From Milwaukee in which they appeared in archived footage.

5. A TV show that Paul Henning wrote for

10 points - The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, The Real McCoys

5 points - Petticoat Junction (3), The Dennis Day Show (3)

Not mentioned - The Andy Griffith Show, The Bob Cummings Show, and Where's Raymond?

Scores are as follows....

In a 3-way tie for first place, with 40 points apiece,
Engadine, bethfay, and ren33 !

35 points - denni19, Mugaboo
30 points - srini701, glamel
25 points - Gatsby722

Thanks to the 8 who played, and a point for each of the winners!

#320840 - Wed Sep 20 2006 12:01 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Virginia USA
Round 20 questions

1. A country which borders the Mediterranean Sea.

2. The name of a mare (or sea) on the moon.

3. An actor or actress who was a regular (no recurring guests) on the TV series SeaQuest DSV (1993-1996).

4. A country which is a member of the North Sea Commission.

5. An actor or actress who played an uncredited role in the movie Romance on the High Seas (1948).

#320841 - Wed Sep 20 2006 07:20 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
I will close Round 13. Sorry about the delay but this is what happens when 4 people use the same computer and it is the school holidays . I will put the answers and scores up after my husband finishes using the computer.

#320842 - Thu Sep 21 2006 05:47 AM Re: September Trivia rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

ANSWERS TO ROUND 13 - 10 people played

1) Name an actress that portrayed one of the Perez de la Torre sisters in the movie "Lady in the Water"

Worth 10 points
Natasha Perez, Carla Jimenez, Monique Cumen

Worth 5 points
Maricruz Henandez (3), Marilyn Torres (4)

{b]2) Name one of the species of flamingo

Worth 10 points
James's Flamingo

Worth 5 points
Andean flamingo (4), Lesser flamingo (3), Greater flamingo (2)

3) Name anyone with the name Andersson who was a passenger on the "Titanic"

Worth 10 points
Mr W. Anderson Walker, Ellis Anna Maria Andersson, Sigrid Elizabeth Andersson, Samuel Anderson, Erna Andersson, Ingeborg Andersson

Worth 5 points
Paul Edvin Anderson (2), Sigvard Andersson (2)

I accepted the name Anderson because many sites give that spelling for the Swedish family though 'Encylopedia Titanica' uses the double S spelling. I also allowed the person who had Anderson as a middle name.

All the members of the Andersson family died.

The Andersson family (parents and 5 children) was not the largest family on board. The Sage family consisted of 9 children and 2 parents. The Goodwin family consisted of parent and 6 children. Both these families also perished.

Cambodia is divided into 20 provinces (known as khalitt) and 4 municipalities. Name one of the 20 provinces.

Quite a bit of confusion here as different sites gave different spellings but I think I sorted it all out right

Worth 10 points
Kratie (Krachen), Pursat (Pouthisat), Kampang Cham, Prey Veng,Otdar Mean Cheay (Oddar Meancheay)

Worth 5 points
Stung Treng (2), Siem Rieb (2)

I received an answer "Pailin' but both Wikipedia and the CIA Factbook give it as one of the municipalities not one of the provinces.

5) Name an object that you can write with

Worth 10 points
Non-permanent marker, coal (used to write on walls in India), nib, ballpoint pen, a stick in the sand, mechanical pencil, fountain pen, soap (on window at Halloween)

Worth 5 points
Quill/feather (2)

SCORES

40 points - denni19, srini701, MaggieG

35 points - Endagine, glamel, Ren33, Mugaboo, Cinnam0n, Gatsby722
30 points - bethfay

Congratulations to denni, srini and Maggie.

Edited by Kuu (Thu Sep 21 2006 06:01 AM)

#320843 - Thu Sep 21 2006 12:24 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Round 19 closes tomorrow

#320844 - Thu Sep 21 2006 12:46 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Which reminds me: Round 18 will close in app. 8 hours....

#320845 - Thu Sep 21 2006 12:55 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
And round 14 will close in a couple of hours too.

#320846 - Thu Sep 21 2006 03:18 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Closed now. Scores to follow

#320847 - Thu Sep 21 2006 04:03 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

12 wonderful players this time!

1)While there are only four basic types of bridge, there are variations on each. Give me the name of one of the variations.
For 10 points
hinge-less arch, open spandrel deck arch, pratt truss, tied arch, aqueduct, viaduct, swing bridge, truss arch, beam bridge, 2 hinged arch bridge

For 5 points
tilt bridge (2)

2)Name a track from the 'Bridge over Troubled Water' album by Simon and Garfunkel.

For 10 points
Keep the Customer Satisfied, Baby Driver, The Only Living Boy in New York, Cecilia, Bye Bye Love, So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright

For 5 points
Song for the Asking (2), The Boxer (4)

3)There was an album by The Nice in the seventies entitled 'Five Bridges' which was based on the bridges across the river Tyne in Newcastle. There are more than five now - can you give me the name of any of the bridges across the river Tyne? (Not just in Newcastle).

For 10 points
Blaydon Bridge, Tyne Bridge, Bywell Bridge, Gateshead Millennium Bridge, Blue Bridge, King Edward VII Bridge, Newburn Bridge, Wylam Bridge

For 5 points
Redheugh Bridge (4)

4)Mrs Bridges was the cook in the popular British drama series of the 1970's, 'Upstairs, Downstairs'. Can you please give me the name of one of the other servants who worked with her below stairs at 165 Eaton Place?

For 10 points
Violet, Frederick Norton, Edward Barnes
For 5 points
Ruby Finch (2), Daisy Peel (later Barnes) (3), Rose Buck (2), Maude Roberts (2)

5)And if you think I've gone too far with the bridges theme - can you please give me the name of one of the actors in the 1977 film 'A Bridge Too Far'.

For 10 points
Robert Redford, Shaun Curry, Gene Hackman, Ryan O'Neal, Elliott Gould, John Ratzenberger, Edward Fox
For 5 points
Laurence Olivier (3), Maximilian Schell (2)

Results!!

50 points - Gatsby

45 points - Bethfay, glamel, Howie72

40 points - denni19, cinnam0n, gemini, Engadine

35 points - ren

30 points - aginor, mugaboo, srini

This round's winner with a perfect score of 50 is Gatsby!

Congratulations to him - and thank you all for playing!

#320848 - Fri Sep 22 2006 05:04 AM Re: September Trivia rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 18 Monday
"Animal House"
10 Excellent Players !

1. Tim Matheson played Eric 'Otter' Stratton in the film ~ he was also the voice of the original "Jonny Quest", an animated adventure that appeared on TV in 1964. Besides Jonny himself, please tell me another character from that short-lived (but pretty cool) cartoon series who appeared in three episodes or more.

For 10 points:
Bandit, Dr. Zin, Jade, Dr. Benton C. Quest.
For 5 points:
Hadji (2), General Fong (2), Roger T. 'Race' Bannon (2).

On that question it was brought to my attention that one actor voiced in three episodes BUT two different characters were involved. I accepted the answer of the character as it is shown on IMDB (which is not altogether accurate, I discovered). Also, doing that had no overall effect on the scores/winners.

2. Stephen Furst was Kent 'Flounder' Dorfman in Animal House -- flounder is a tasty flatfish, of course. One of the largest markets selling fresh fish in the world is the "Tsukiji Market" in Tokyo. It is serviced by 7 wholesalers. Pick one of them!

For 10 points:
Daito Gyorui Co., Ltd.
For 5 points:
Tsukiji Uoichiba Co., Ltd. (4), Daiichi Suisan Co., Ltd. (3), Chuogyorui Co. Ltd. (2).

Three others (Tohto Suisan Kabushiki Kaisha, Sougou Syokuhin & Chiyoda Suisan Co., Ltd.). And to the player who observed: "They all sound like Japanese cartoon characters!"... yes, they certainly do - boasting long and hard-to-spell names, I might add .

3. Peter Riegert played Donald 'Boon' Schoenstein in the crazy flick, which put me in mind, rather speedily, of US frontiersman Daniel Boone. The historical Boone had a good many children as time passed. Can you kindly give me the first name of one of his offspring?

For 10 points:
Jessie, Levinia.
For 5 points:
William, James, Susannah, Nathan (all 2 each).

Israel, Jemima, Rebecca and Daniel were the others.

4. Tim Hulce was given the role of Larry 'Pinto' Kroger. Hulce is likely best remembered for his portrayal of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in the highly regarded Amadeus in 1984. This time I need to know the name of one of Mozart's operas (there are over 20 to pick from).

For 10 points:
La Clemenza di Tito, Bastien et Bastienne, Der Schauspieldirektor, Idomeneo, Mitridate Rè di Ponto.
For 5 points:
Cosi fan tutte (3), Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute) (2).

5. And, finally, the popular favorite John Belushi played John 'Bluto' Blutarsky. The name Bluto is familiar as Popeye's nemesis for decades. Popeye was created by Elzie Crisler Segar in 1929 and proved so popular that The National Cartoonist Society issues an award named after him. Please choose a recipient of the 'Elzie Segar Award' from 1984 to the present.

For 10 points:
Jim Davis [Garfield], Mike Peters [Mother Goose and Grimm].
For 5 points:
Mort Walker [Beetle Bailey -and- Hi and Lois] (2), Fred Lasswell [Barney Google and Snuffy Smith] (2), Brant Parker [The Wizard of Id] (2), Tom Armstrong [Marvin] (2).

The Results!

bethfay and Mugaboo...40 points!
Howie72 and ren33...35 points!
cinnamOn, denni19, Engadine and srini701...30 points!
gemini19 and MaggieG...25 points!

Yay! As I've said before ~ you all rock! Thanks for joining in and congrats [and a point for the month] to bethfay and Mugaboo !

#320849 - Fri Sep 22 2006 05:09 AM Re: September Trivia rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 19 results on their way!

#320850 - Fri Sep 22 2006 05:14 AM Re: September Trivia rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Tuesday 19th September Results

1) A boy’s name beginning with L
For ten points:
Leonardo, Lalit (means "beautiful"), Lachlan, Langston, Lance, Leroy, Lleyton, Lois, Lemuel, Luther,
For five points:
Lee (2),
Not mentioned:
Leo, Luke, Liam and more

2) A girls name beginning with L
For ten points:
Lavinia, Latika (means "a small creeper"), Lamorna, Ludmilla, Lolo, Larissa, Lise, Lorelei, Lisa, Latifah, Lalya, Lee,
For five points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Laura, Lucy, Liz and more

3) A profession beginning with L
For ten points:
Legal lexicography, Lavatory attendant, Literary critic, Log Graders and Scalers, Lapidarist, Linguist, Limousine driver, Loan advisor, Lino Layer, Lightouse Keeper,
For five points:
Lyricist (2),
Not mentioned:
Librarian, Language teacher, Lollipop Ladie and more

4) A FICTIONAL character with the surname beginning with L
For ten points:
Locus (a villainess in x-men series[comics]), Lakshman, the younger brother of Rama in the literary work "Ramayana", Mr Lilyvick (from Nicholas Nickleby ), Victor Lord (TV's One Life to Live), Lex Luthor (from Superman), Barney Livingston (from the novel "Doctors" by Erich Segal), Mary Beth Lacey (from Cagney and Lacey), Lois Lane (Superman), Laurie Laurence (Little Women), Charlotte Lucas (Pride and Prejudice), Stuart Little, Larrabee (from "Get Smart")
For five points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Simeon Lee, David Lee, (both from Hercule Poirot’s Christmas), Remus Lupin (Harry Potter series) and more

5) Any animal beginning with L
For ten points:
Lark (terrestrial birds), Langur (a type of Monkey), La Touche's Frog, Limpkin, Lobster, Little Pygmy Possum, Ladybird, Leatherback Turtle, Lamb, Lynx,
For five points:
Lizard (2)
Not mentioned:
Llama, Lion, Leveret and more

Scores – 12 players (wow!)
Aginor – 50
Cinnam0n – 50
Engadine - 50
Gemini – 50
Glamel - 50
Mugaboo – 50
Ren – 50

Denni – 45
Gatsby – 45
Howie – 45
Srini – 45

Maggie – 40

Well done to Aginor, Cinnam0n, Engadine, Gemini, Glamel, Mugaboo and Ren!

#320851 - Fri Sep 22 2006 06:41 AM Re: September Trivia rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Virginia USA
Round 6 results - 12 players

Q1. A credited role in Trading Places (1983) which includes a number sign in it (ie, Junior Executive #1, Hooker #2, these can be used if you want).

10 points: Hooker #1, Baggage Handler #2, Cellmate #3, Cop #4

5 points: Trader #3 (4), Trader #4 (2), Cellmate #2 (2)

not mentioned: Baggage handler #1, Cop #1, #2, #3, Hooker #2, Junior executive #1 & #2, Trader #1, #2, Official #1 & #2

Q2. A word of at least three letters from N-U-M-B-E-R-S.

10 points: serum, Bern, bum, rune, mure, nubs, brumes, sneb, runs, berm

5 points: snub (2)

not mentioned: numb, burn, rum

Q3. A number one single by the Bee Gees (UK or US charts).

10 points: You Win Again, Tragedy, Jive Talkin', I've Gotta Get a Message to You, Too Much Heaven

5 points: Love You Inside Out (4), How can you mend a broken heart (2)

not mentioned: Massachusetts, You Should Be Dancing, How Deep is Your Love, Stayin Alive, Night Fever
not allowed: Children of the World

Q4. The STS number of a mission flown by the space shuttle Atlantis.

10 points: 51J, 34, 27, 44, 74, 79, 84, 46, 38, 81

5 points: 43 (2)

not mentioned: 61-B, 30, 36, 37, 45, 46, 66, 71, 76, 86, 101, 106, 98, 104, 110, 112, 115

Q5. A number worn by an active member of the New England Patriots, whose last name begins with S.

10 points: #96 Johnathan Sullivan, #81 Jonathan Smith

5 points: #90 Le Kevin Smith (2), #31 Antwain Spann (3), #36 James Sanders (3), #22 Asante Samuel (2)

not mentioned: #30 Chad Scott, #55 Junior Seau, #93 Richard Seymour, #18 Matt Shelton, #63 Dan Stevenson

SCORES

45 - Engadine, Glamel
40 - Mugaboo, Jim, Denni, Bethfay
35 - Ren, Maggie, Cinnam0n, Howie
30 - Gatsby, Srini

Thanks to everyone for playing, and a point to each of our winners, Engadine and Glamel

#320852 - Fri Sep 22 2006 08:08 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Just me again, it only seems like 2 weeks ago I was doing this.

Anyway, here are some questions for Round 22.

1) Please give me the name of a golfer competing for the European team at the 2006 Ryder Cup.
2) The Pan American Games were first held in 1951. Please give me the name of a city that has hosted these games.
3) The Pacific Islands Forum was founded in 1971 as the South Pacific Forum. Please give me the name of a member state of this Forum.
4) Please give me a name of an actor that was nominated for "Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series" or "Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series" at the 2006 Primetime Emmy Awards.
5) Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage site in Japan.

This round will close in about 7 days, or maybe a week, so it should give you plenty of time to send some answers in.

#320853 - Sat Sep 23 2006 02:59 AM Re: September Trivia rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 23

1. Select anyone who has won the World Bog Snorkelling Championships (Open event).
2. Name a God or Goddess of the Hittites.
3. Give me an actor or acress who appeared in the movie "The Pure Hell of St. Trinian's" (1960)
4. Give me an emergency number, you could call the fire service on, in any European country.
5. Name a volcano in Costa Rica (Active or extinct).

Round should close on Thursday.

#320854 - Sun Sep 24 2006 05:15 PM Re: September Trivia rounds
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Round 21 will close today.... any more for Shooting the Sheriff?

#320855 - Mon Sep 25 2006 05:47 AM Re: September Trivia rounds
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Thanks to those who wished me luck. Yes I got my ticket!
Thanks all 9 of you for your entries.
1 Name a member of the early group , The Bluesbreakers.
10 points
Hughie Flint,Eric Clapton,Walter Trout,Don Harris,Aynsley Dunbar,John McVie,Mick Fleetwood,Peter Green,Andy Fraser3) (all of you!)
2 A base player in the Yardbirds
10 points John Idan,Rod Demick,Paul Samwell Smith,
5 points
Chris Dreja(3),Jimmy Page(3)

3 A track from "Disraeli Gears" by the fabulous"Cream".10 points
Strange Brew,Outside Woman Blues,
5 points
We're Going Wrong(3),Blue Condition(2),World of Pain(2)
4 A line from "Wonderful Tonight" (Of if only someone had written that song about me!)
10 points
It's that you just don't realise,So I give her the car keys,It's late in the evening, This beautiful lady that's wandring around with me, My darling you were wonderful tonight.
5 points
We go to a party and everyone turns to see,(2), And then she asks me,:Do you feel all right?",(2),
5 Name any of Eric Clapton's children.
10 points
Sophie
5 points
Ella Mae(3),Ruth(3),Conor(2)
So with 45 points, the Winner is ...
Engadine!)
with 40 Mugaboo
with 35, Denni,Gatsby,Glamel,Srini,Howie,CinnamOn
and with 30 Bethfay
Thanks all for indulging my idolatry! Congrats to Malcolm.

#320856 - Mon Sep 25 2006 02:30 PM September Trivia Round 25
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Beresford, SD, USA
I'd like to apologize for not being able to do my rounds lately. And say a huge thank you to Gatsby for all his help.

1. The Valley of the Kings in Egypt was the burial place of many pharaohs. Tell me someone who was buried in the East Valley.

2. Name a pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

3. Charles Dickens has always been one of my favorite writers. Name either a book or a poem that he wrote.

4. Ahh the seven deadly sins. Some of which can be quite a lot of fun. Please name one.

5. It is only fair to mention the seven holy virtues. Please name one.

#320857 - Mon Sep 25 2006 11:04 PM September Trivia Round 26
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Tuesday, September 26

I am resuming my theme of "India" and hope to see enough interest generated among you all this time too

This round will be on Indian literature .

1. The Ramayana, written by Valmiki, is considered a very important text in the canon of Indian literature. Name a character from the Ramayana.

2. The Mahabharata is the greatest literary text from ancient India and is the longest epic poem in the world. The main protagonists of this fantastic epic are the "Pandavas". Give me the name of one of the Pandava brothers.

3. Kalidasa is one of the earliest known writers in Sanskrit and has penned some of India's classic Sanskrit literature. Name any literary work of Kalidasa (poetry or plays).

4. Rabindranath Tagore became the first Asian to win a Nobel prize, when he won the Nobel for literature in 1913 for his work on "Gitanjali". From this page here , give me the name of a work of Tagore that has been translated into English.

5. Indian English writing gained acceptance in the literary world since the 1930s when some of the finest Indian writers emerged. Raja Rao, Nirad Chaudhuri, Kushwant Singh and later on Salman Rushdie, Vikram Seth and Arundhati Roy, all were exceptional writers in their own right, but probably the one writer who symbolised Indian English writing the best was R K Narayan. Give me the name of a novel written by R K Narayan.

Remember, Help is just a mail away should you need it

This will be a short, snappy round and will close on Friday morning India time (Thursday night in the Western world), so rush in your entries now !!!

--srini701

#320858 - Wed Sep 27 2006 10:43 PM Re: September Trivia Round 26
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

24 hours more for Round 26....hardly any entries at all

--srini

#320859 - Thu Sep 28 2006 02:54 AM Re: September Trivia Round 26
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Round 27 Questions

Quote:

1) Name an item one would expect to find in most women's handbag
2) Name a species of bushbaby (galago)
3) Name any work by Charles Dickens that was first published before 1845
4) Name one of the 26 states of Brazil
5) Give me the name of an astronomer who has held the title Astronomer Royal for Ireland

I will keep this round open to at least Monday.

#320860 - Thu Sep 28 2006 04:31 AM Re: September Trivia Round 26
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 23 will close in 24 hours.

#320861 - Thu Sep 28 2006 05:52 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
I will start by saying a big "Thank you all!" for making me part of the team. I will try my very best to keep Trivia Rounds at its high standard.
Please feel free to correct me on spelling, grammar, phrasing - it will be of great help to me.

But for this Round which is my very first....please be gentle

Round 29 - Friday

1. Name an American poet whose surname begins with E, F or G.

2. Name one of the athletes that have delivered the Olympic Oath.

3. Name an European city where you can find a Sofitel Hotel.

4. Name an uncredited actor (not character) from the cast of Ron Howard's "A Beautiful Mind".

5. Name one of Chris de Burgh's albums.

#320862 - Thu Sep 28 2006 09:21 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Round 22 is closing soon but there is still time for you to throw some answers my way.

#320863 - Thu Sep 28 2006 11:38 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 26 closed. A BIGGG Thanks to the rush of entries over the last 24 hours

Results pretty soon. Watch this space....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002