Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#321366 - Tue Sep 05 2006 09:19 AM Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Hi all,

I have just registered to Fun Trivia Forums and i am happy to be here with you.
I am not a newbie on the Fun Trivia Global Challenge - i've registered in there end of April this year and been playing continously since then. I think "addicted" is the proper word
Browsing through the posts, before registering, i noticed how much fun and good conversation can be found here so i couldn't miss the opportunity.

I have to send all my gratitude and best wishes to Terry, who's putting so much effort into keeping us content.
And the same for the other wonderful people who voluntarily keep this small world alive on the internet.

THANK YOU ALL!

#321367 - Tue Sep 05 2006 09:31 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
Welcome to our forums Denni19. It is good to have you with us. I am not sure if you are the first Romanian that we have had in the forums, probably.

#321368 - Tue Sep 05 2006 09:40 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

Thanks Sue!
If what you say is true, then it will be the first time since high-school that i'm "first" anywhere.

Because I chose here the same username i have in Global Challenge and i know many people took me for a boy/guy aged 19 here are a few facts about me - i'm 44, female and my name is Madalina. I work as a CAD technician with the Romanian Underground/Subway/Metro....never knew which is the exact English word for it.
Mada

#321369 - Tue Sep 05 2006 10:14 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington OntarioCanada
Welcome from Canada!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#321370 - Tue Sep 05 2006 10:31 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Welcome to the forums

#321371 - Tue Sep 05 2006 11:49 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>EnglandUK
Great to have someone from Romania, you're very welcome! I hope you'll be giving us a bit more of an introduction, and telling us something about your country.

Edited by aramis (Tue Sep 05 2006 11:50 AM)

#321372 - Tue Sep 05 2006 11:53 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

I work as a CAD technician with the Romanian Underground/Subway/Metro....never knew which is the exact English word for it.
Mada

They're all correct Mada, just depends which part of the world you're from, and funtrivia is international!

#321373 - Tue Sep 05 2006 01:30 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Madalina! Great to have you in the forums

#321374 - Tue Sep 05 2006 02:33 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome

Aramis - thanks for easing my 'language' embarassement. In Romania we call it Metro.

Speaking about my country...i am happy to give you any details as long as you ask.
I really find it more easy to talk about something in particular which might interest you, then starting with "small country in Eastern Europe....former communist regime....had a revolution in december 1989.....shot Ceausescu (and sometimes regret it)...home of famous Dracula..."

#321375 - Wed Sep 06 2006 06:35 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
We're glad to have you here in the forums!

#321376 - Wed Sep 06 2006 07:25 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome

Aramis - thanks for easing my 'language' embarassement. In Romania we call it Metro.

Speaking about my country...i am happy to give you any details as long as you ask.
I really find it more easy to talk about something in particular which might interest you, then starting with "small country in Eastern Europe....former communist regime....had a revolution in december 1989.....shot Ceausescu (and sometimes regret it)...home of famous Dracula..."

Your English is just fine, in fact more tha fine, better than that of many English people! How about telling us of the sights and scenery of Romania, then the history - not just recent either. though maybe you should get used to the forums for a while before posting, and then maybe start a new thread or continue one or more of the existing threads where members describe where they live.

#321377 - Wed Sep 06 2006 12:13 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

Thank you aramis for your kind appreciation of my linguistic skills
I find it very hard to believe my English is better then that of English people, but if someone from UK says so then...maybe it is so

I am trying to adapt in here. So many interesting subjects and intelligent people. Yes, i promise i will start talking about my country as soon as i find the proper place (and time) to do it.

#321378 - Wed Sep 06 2006 12:19 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
AlienGoddess Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Pleasanton CaliforniaUSA
Welcome denni! I remember you very well from playing "Last One Standing". If I remember correctly, you always kicked my tail! So you're a CAD tech? Hehe, I use CAD frequently, maybe you can help me if I have a problem!

Welcome to the forums!

#321379 - Wed Sep 06 2006 03:18 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

Hello and thanks AlienGoddess! So nice to see you here

Yes, we've met many times in LOS. But i remember we took turns at kicking tails

I'd be honoured to be of any help with CAD mysteries, but please take notice that the only CAD software i use is AutoCAD. I do structural and architectural drawings.

#321380 - Wed Sep 06 2006 05:22 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
AlienGoddess Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Pleasanton CaliforniaUSA
Quote:

I'd be honoured to be of any help with CAD mysteries, but please take notice that the only CAD software i use is AutoCAD. I do structural and architectural drawings.

I use AutoCAD as well, although my focus tends to be grading plans and volume calculations. Small world, isn't it?

#321381 - Wed Sep 06 2006 07:12 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I've a question! Does Romania go to great lengths to sell the Dracula name? I mean are there a million tourist stalls that sell really tacky souvenirs? I can just imagine little plastic vampire dolls that have eyes that glow red or something.

#321382 - Thu Sep 07 2006 12:45 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

I agree with you AlienGoddes. The world is the size of a nutshell

Grading plans always seemed the most difficult to me and i am glad they're not part of my job. But i know who to call for help if i need it

#321383 - Thu Sep 07 2006 01:09 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

Copago,

I wouldn't say that Romania, as a whole, goes to great length. In fact, the majority of us, the simple people, are bothered by this idea mostly because vampires are not part of Romanian folklore and Vlad the Impaler, which is usually identified with Dracula, was not a vampire, only a just but very cruel leader.
The government decided that it's easier to go with the flow than to deny and explain the false myth. And of course, this can help raise money for the budget so why not take advantage.

Also, people from Transylvania's small villages (adjacent to the Bran Castle area but not only) are the ones keeping the tourist stalls.
Your imagination is not far from the truth. The vampire dolls i've seen myself didn't have red glowing eyes but they certainly were made of plastic. There's one with Dracula springing from the coffin , and my favourite one - Dracula holding a naked woman in his arms and sniffing her jugular!!!

#321384 - Thu Sep 07 2006 04:45 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

If you've got a ready made tourist attraction, go for it and exploit it I say! If the conversation turns to holidays, saying 'we went to Transylvania' would beat most anything else!

#321385 - Thu Sep 07 2006 07:10 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

You are saying it's trendy to visit Romania ?

Then by all means come people, come!

#321386 - Mon Sep 11 2006 01:32 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
IRB Offline
Participant

Loc: UK
Well it sure sounds good when I tell people my wife and I went too Transylvania. Even better when we tell them In thundered and lightened when we came out of Draculas castle !!

There sure are a lot of tourist shops at Bran Castle, however, Bran Castle itself, is quite beautifull, and in no way peddles the Dracula myth.

It also happens to be in the skiing region, and is alot like Austria. The area is stunningly beautifull!

Roads are a little poor, and buildings in the towns, a little run down, but that kind of adds to the charm.

Some older Romanians were a little stand offish, but younger Romanians were extremely friendly.
Eating out was an interesting experience, different but ok.
Smeech (I think that is what it was called) looked frightening, but tasted great !
Best of all........ Romania is cheap !
Four of us, three course meal with alcohol......... 15 !! Though not in the towns, or the ski resorts.

In summary. Visit Romania now ! Before us tourists spoil it !

Regards

Ian

#321387 - Mon Sep 11 2006 02:04 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

I am glad you and your wife enjoyed your visit to my country. And yes, the Bran Castle area is one of the stunning ones

I think that by "smeech" you mean the famous Romanian spicy meatballs. Why did they seem frightening?

I've a good friend in Glasgow and he was also fascinated by how cheap everything was here in Romania....when bought with english pounds

I appreciate your kindness and diplomacy when calling Romanian roads "a little poor"...they are worse than that

About older people being standoffish...well, there may be an explanation. A saying goes, among us Romanians, that we are eagerly waiting for the Americans ever since World War II. So maybe older people are still looking for them and don't welcome other nationalities

May i ask what year did your visit take place?

Mada

#321388 - Mon Sep 11 2006 04:53 PM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
IRB Offline
Participant

Loc: UK
May, this year Mada.

My cousins wife is Romanian and we stayed at her mothers flat in Brasov.

Well ok, there were a few potholes in the roads....

But we did love the place despite the pot holes

photo

Regards

Ian

(edit to remove photo, sorry Ian we don't allow them but please feel free to link to them Copago )

Edited by Copago (Mon Sep 11 2006 06:13 PM)

#321389 - Tue Sep 12 2006 06:41 AM Re: Hello from Bucharest, Romania
denni19 Offline

May this year was a great time to visit. The weather was fine and lot of green to be seen around

Thanks for the photo, i can see you have a talent for that so maybe you'll come back here soon, to take some more

Regards,
Mada

Moderator:  cinnam0n