Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#321629 - Sat Sep 09 2006 10:57 AM Scariest thing in your life?
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I was trawling in the depths of this forum and came across this question.

What has been scary for you in your life? Getting married? Going to your first job interview? Being plunged into shark-infested water?

#321630 - Sat Sep 09 2006 11:38 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Having given this a great deal of thought, I have finally come up with an answer.

I have had a stroke, I have had an infection which is 100% fatal if not treated, I have had open heart surgery, I have had complete heart block but none of these things was as scary as when my daughter telephoned me to tell me that she had two detached retinas and was being admitted to hospital that day to have surgery the following day. That is something I never want to experience again, or anything similar.

#321631 - Sat Sep 09 2006 11:53 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I'm such a freak of nature, I think. I really don't get scared too often - even when I was little I didn't. If something that was, by definition, terrifying happened I just tackled it happily (or at least I told myself that's what I was doing ). I was more than likely just too dumb to know that I was really scared. I remember I felt pretty scared (or was it just a major 'sunk' feeling?) when I saw a picture of my mother's heart - or what was left of it - in CICU the night before she passed away. And I KNOW I was, if for no longer than a moment, pretty terrified the first time I got robbed and a pistol was stuck up my right nostril. But, again, I didn't feel like there was time to be too jumpy about the developments at hand. Oh ~ I just remembered one. I was petrified the entire time I was in jail, all 27 hours of it. As if not knowing why I was there to begin with wasn't enough, socializing with the -um- locals in there was quite all I needed to become completely unglued. I certainly knew that there was no 'controlling' the situation. Maybe that's what fear is to me. Lack of control. Powerlessness.
But, strangely enough, I don't really feel that way these days (and am powerless to literally everything)...

#321632 - Sat Sep 09 2006 11:55 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
Heidi66 Offline
Participant

Loc: Neuss Germany
In chronological order:

a heartattack of one of my brothers, who was just just 30 at this time (he survived)

the death of my father

the birth of my son, 10 weeks too early, very small and little and with little chance to survive

the year after his birth this roller coaster with up's and down's lung trouble and all this stuff

being told when he was three, that he wasn't only retarded but really mentally handicapped (but this was also a relief - it is good to know!)

one time our son did disappear out of a restaurant - on an island close to the harbour!- but thankfully was stopped by a woman.

and some 5 years ago the death of my mom.

But the most scary moment was when he was brought back to live in hospital by the doctors while I was close by.

I've good to add that's he's now a happy completely healthy boy - even if he's mentally 2-3 years old.

#321633 - Sat Sep 09 2006 12:36 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
The only thing that I can think of at the moment is back in the early 1980's when I was a newlywed, my first husband was involved in an accident at work. I was called by a friend of mine who told me he was taken to the emergency room at a nearby town. After driving well above the speed limit to get there, I ran into the emergency room to be told "he's in room two". As I got closer to the room, I saw a nurse standing by the door and beyond her I could see his body totally covered from head to toe with a white sheet. I just knew he was dead and started to collapse before the nurse quickly explained that he was covered by cold towels to soothe the burns he had received on his face. I had nightmares for a long time afterwards.

#321634 - Sat Sep 09 2006 12:52 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
There are a couple of things that come to mind: The first time I ever experienced a tornado warning, and the image of a black line of clouds with FINGERS twining down and back up, sinuous and sinister. When the doctors told me my 2 hour old daughter was a step away from a critically low number of platelets, and was at risk for sudden, fatal brain hemorage. When my mother got a phone call from airport authoriy to tell us that a plane which my dad was flying had made an emergency "soft field" landing and that the passengers and pilot had been taken to a nearby hospital with injuries of an as-yet-unknown extent.

But the winner by a nose: When I was five and my sister and I almost drowned. At the time, I was not afraid of drowning. I was five, and I don't think I really understood the level of danger I was in. I was, however, desparately aware that my little sister was barely hanging onto my neck, and her struggles were pulling us both under water, and I was terrified that if I didn't keep kicking my legs and kicking my legs, that she would not be able to get enough air. My only thoughts the entire time were keeping HER head above water as much as possible and trying to attract someone's attention. (That and a small worry that I would get in trouble for swearing, as each time my head broke the water I tried to yell help and never got the P out before I went under again.) To this day it gives me a lump in my throat just thinking about it. I have thought how strange it is that it has never bothered me how close I was to dying. I knew what I had to do to keep myself alive, and I did it. But I have a very hard time thinking about how close my sister was to dying, and all that saved her was her big sisters little legs. Honestly, how could such a little girl now how to deal with such a thing? I didn't, and as much as anything I know I was terrified that I would fail, and it would be all my fault. That by being not quite big enough, or smart enough, or strong enough, or fast enough, I might kill my sister. *shudder* My very young brain talking, I know, but while I was never afraid of the water, even after that, that feeling of powerlessness and blame has always been with me.

#321635 - Sat Sep 09 2006 05:04 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Can't think of anything else but the first experience of an earthquake in 1977. The shock was so big that for 2 days i couldn't speak, didn't articulate one word , didn't eat or sleep. Horrifying!

#321636 - Mon Sep 11 2006 11:28 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
mandelbrotset Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside Chicago Illinois USA
I've found some very scary things in the back of my fridge on occasion.........But the scariest times I've ever lived through were when my daughters (each one of them has done this to me once) took it upon themselves to vary their usual routines and not come home from school for 8 or 9 hours. And not phone me about it either. Talk about hysteria- I honestly thought I would die from a heart attack or a stroke.

My heart truly goes out to any parent who loses a child like that, I don't know how they manage to go on with their lives. I'm the kind of mom that has to know where they are, whom they're with, and what they're doing at all times and I've trained them well to communicate with me in this regard, so when I don't hear from them I immediately freak out and think the worst has happened.

Luckily my kids are not trouble makers but that only made my fears worse because I could think of no benign reason for their apparent disappearance. How these events actually turned out was that daughter #1 decided to go to the library after school and stayed until closing time, then strolled around the neighborhood for another hour, while daughter #2 mis-communicated to me (forgot to tell me?) her intention to hang out at a classmate's house after school.

#321637 - Mon Sep 11 2006 11:17 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I think the scariest time for me was when I was in labour with my daughter and the nurse couldn't find a foetal heart-beat. I'd already lost three babies previously and I truly don't know if I could have handled losing a full-term pregnancy. Luckily, the problem was that someone had turned the volume on the machine way down!

#321638 - Tue Sep 12 2006 12:47 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
My kids have given me some grey hairs...should have bought shares of Loreal.

Kid one fell on a tent stake and cut her face, but, for a minute there, well does not bear repeating...
I dealt with it calmly and cooly but once she was ok, and bandaged at the campground, I almost fainted and broke into tears. Plus that kid always did something where I'd have to cope in a different language while traveling...in the middle of a Swiss campground in a storm. Unfall unfall, tochter...thank goodness he took me seriously and spoke perfectly good English...
Her fever when tiny was in Italian as I was traveling...gee whiz...at least I had enough vocabulary.
It would have been nice not to be looking for a calculator for Farenheit vs Celsius for her father...I learned that you must forget the temperature, and look at the child...and lasciala dormire signora...let her sleep...leave her the hell alone.

Kid two did a couple of things, so, I have to say it's my kids who scare the daylights out of me.

#321639 - Tue Sep 12 2006 02:32 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I know that I have never had anything like the scary moments that I have just read through on this thread. How on earth did you get through it?
All I can say is, I had a very scary five months after losing one of my twins in a miscarriage at about 3 months. I went home from hospital unaware that I was still carrying the second twin. No scans in those days so I just waited to see what I would produce! All the nightmares of deformities that you can imagine were with me for those weeks. She turned out to be perfect, early yes, tiny , yes, yellow with jaundice yes. But she was perfect. The only baby that left the hospital having regained her birthweight plus a pound in the history of the hospital. I was so lucky.

#321640 - Tue Sep 12 2006 02:38 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Quote:

I'm such a freak of nature, I think. I really don't get scared too often . . .

I'm like Gatsby! Not much scares me really, but, the following shook me up somewhat . . . and I was 'haunted' by terrible nightmares for quite a long time afterward (still don't like carparks to this day . . .)

Being held at knifepoint, stabbed a couple of times, and nearly losing a finger into the bargain!

#321641 - Tue Sep 12 2006 02:44 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Some many years ago I was walking along at night minding my own business when I was grabbed by 4-5 men. They proceeded to rough me up a bit then tried to roll me on my stomach and take my pants off. A number of comments about what they were about to do to me were made and I was pretty concerned. I managed to get away by punching and kicking and I think they were surprised at the fury and suddeness of the defence (well I do place a high value in keeping the integrity of my posterior). I was overjoyed at my escape and my fortune in escaping without any harm. I`m actually smiling at my luck as I type this but at the time I was as scared as I`ve ever been.

#321642 - Tue Sep 12 2006 04:04 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I can honestly not remember the last time I was really really scared. Feeling really upset is so different than being scared. I'll have to think really hard

#321643 - Tue Sep 12 2006 04:38 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
When I was a child, I almost drowned in my aunt's swimming pool - but I can't say I was really scared for more than a moment or two.

But there was another incident when I was a child that was really scary and I had forgotten until now.

My friend's parents had to take a visitor to the main railway station in the city. My friend and I went along for the ride. I don't remember how old I was but I must have been about 7 (because we moved from the area when I was 8). My friend and I waited in the car while her parents saw the visitor off on the train.

A man came up to the car and starting talking to my friend. I was pretty nervous about this as we had all been instructed about not talking to strangers. My friend even rolled down the car window and shook hands with this man and then encouraged me to do the same, insisting he was harmless. I was very reluctant but I extended my hand for him to shake and he tried to pull me out of the car through the window.

Whether it was his idea of a joke, or whether he was going to abduct me, I've no idea, but I do remember that I was absolutely terrified. I don't know what would have happened had my friend's parents not returned at that point and the man ran off.

Edited by MotherGoose (Thu Sep 14 2006 12:26 PM)

#321644 - Tue Sep 12 2006 07:38 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
jarsma63 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Michigan USA  
Back when I was 17, a tornado ripped through downtown--I was there an hour prior and watched to funnel go directly over my parents house(really smart-standing outside on the porch). After seeing the distruction, and helped to clean it up(couple of friends got hurt badly), ever since that day, tornadoes freak me out. Since then, I had been in the path of two others--I feel somtimes that I'm living on borrowed time.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Cor 13:13).

#321645 - Wed Sep 13 2006 10:50 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

You know, I've seen tornados (as I mentioned above) and I've seen serious tornado damage (I live 20 minutes from Hallam, NE, scene of the largest tornado on record, 2.5 miles wide, 50 mile path and classified an F4,) and have friends and family who've been affected by tornados. (Hard not to in Nebraska.) I've been scared by tornados and bad weather, and I've been in (and back out fast!) the path of huge tornado-spawning storm cells. I've looked above me into a storm cell and seen rotation. After that first moment when I as 5 and I saw my first tornadic activity, I've never been afraid of it. Geesh! I'm the type who wants to be a storm chaser. I've run out and hopped in my car when the sirens blew...

#321646 - Wed Sep 13 2006 10:11 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
LOL, I know exactly how you feel Loth. I used to live in Eastern NM, the supposed start of "Tornado Alley" and saw many tornados. Every time the sirens went off, I was the first one out hoping to see one. I love to watch programs about tornados and I would dearly love to become a storm chaser.

#321647 - Thu Sep 14 2006 07:50 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

I know a lot of people who panic at the slightest hint of bad weather, and I can understand that. The destruction that has happened just in my little neck of the woods is pretty frightening. But I've really always been fascinated by it. We had a really strong storm cell move through a couple years ago, that spawned a number of tornados to the south and north of us. I was standing on my front porch, and the clouds above me were... weird looking, and I couldn't figure out what about them was weird. And the air was charged, you know, and the ambient color was more green than is natural, and I finally realized that what was weird about the clouds was that in a SMALL spot directly above me, things were swirling. Fast. I was looking straight up into the bud of a not-yet-tornado. As that cell moved away, that little bud (or another,) destroyed a couple of houses, we got golf-ball-sized hail and I stood the entire time on my covered front porch soaking in the electricity.

#321648 - Thu Sep 14 2006 08:02 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
mandelbrotset Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside Chicago Illinois USA
I'm with you lothruin; I couldn't stay in the house and not watch that either. I'll always take my risks with storms because I love them.

#321649 - Fri Sep 15 2006 09:00 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Heh, just thought I'd pop in with a little note: The tornado sirens are going off just up the street from me. We're in a tornado warning at the moment, but the rotation is still about 10 minutes south of us, and no tornados have actually been spotted yet. (What they call a "doplar" tornado, because the rotation is only showing up on the radar.) Anyway, I'm getting ready to head for the basement. To dark out to watch much, and it's funny... this is the first time I've been in a tornado warning since Kit was born, and frankly, it doesn't seem as interesting when you've got a sleeping child you might have to bundle up and carry to the basement with you...

#321650 - Fri Sep 15 2006 09:23 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Oh yes...I live for wild storms and love nothing more than to sit on my big front porch in the dark, listening to the wind howl and see lightning flash across the sky. It's so real, and just plain satisfying somehow. I highly recommend it if you've never succumbed before.

#321651 - Fri Sep 15 2006 10:11 PM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
My sister was on a major tourist island in Thailand the day that the tsunami hit, and we knew she would have been out on the beach. We weren't sure what island she was on.

We had no contact for about 5 days as all the phones were down. All we had was news reports saying that many of the major tourist spots had been hit and a lot of people killed.

Fortunately, it turned out that she was on an island in Thailand protected by land, and the tsunami had not been able to make it there.

#321652 - Sat Sep 16 2006 05:06 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Oh Terry, how dreadful for you and your family, thank goodness it turned out to be fine for your sister.

#321653 - Sat Sep 16 2006 07:34 AM Re: Scariest thing in your life?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
That must have been a long 5 days Terry. Wow, with this and your story about the bush fires, your family has had a few near misses with Mother Nature.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

Moderator:  ren33, sue943