Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#321659 - Sat Sep 09 2006 11:54 AM Do you have a phobia?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Most of intensely dislike certain things or situations, but not normally to the phobia stage.

Here is an article about some people and phobias.

Do you have a phobia? Does it have any effect on your life?

#321660 - Sat Sep 09 2006 12:34 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
draculanut31 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Waterford New Jersey USA    
I have a few:

-Claustrophobia. Does it affect my life? It sure does. When my parents bought their new house, I had to make sure the bathroom and my bedroom were big enough. If not, I wouldn't be able to live here.

-Belonephobia. Fear of needles. It's a stupid phobia, but it's horrible. When I have to get bloodwork done, the poor phlebotomist needs to give me something to grab on to. If not, I may swing.

-Agoraphobia. Fear of crowds. I hate being stuck in crowds with no elbow room. When I go to public events, sometimes I have to wait until the crowd dies down a bit.

That's it for me.

#321661 - Sat Sep 09 2006 02:04 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
The only thing I have a real phobia about is scorpions. But since I don't run into them in my daily life, being a big city girl, it doesn't affect me too much.

#321662 - Sat Sep 09 2006 02:10 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Heights are my fear. I don't even like getting up on a stool to get something off the top shelf in my kitchen. And considering the fact that I'm only 5'2", that's a problem.
I'm also not keen about June Bugs and bats or anything else that swoops at my head (birds indoors).

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#321663 - Sat Sep 09 2006 04:11 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
My phobia is bees/wasps/anything that buzzes and stings. One reason why I don't sit out in the sun:) And injections...when I have to have them, the nurses have a pretty hard job finding veins

#321664 - Sun Sep 10 2006 04:01 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
Having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, it is not a phobia i can do much about, yet it happens to be a weird one. I have a phobia of odd numbers. I can't do things once, three times etc yes, i have to do it twice or 4 times! It really gets in the way of my daily life but... there isn't much i can do about it.

#321665 - Sun Sep 10 2006 04:19 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
So if we see duplicate posts we will know why. Seriously, it must be very upsetting for you.

#321666 - Sun Sep 10 2006 05:03 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Cockroaches
Mustard and any slimy sauce like ketchup,or pickle. I can't touch it at all.I could never clean the sauce bottles when I worked in restaurants, or mix mustard in case I got it on my hand.
Weird, I know.

#321667 - Sun Sep 10 2006 05:47 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
jill-geo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hartlepool England UK       
George has a phobia of crossing bridges, which I think is linked to his fear of heights.

Mine has to be cockroaches (I dont even like typing the word) which was a huge problem for me when I lived abroad.

#321668 - Sun Sep 10 2006 06:04 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
SNAKES and SPIDERS! Just the idea of them scares me to death.
PF

#321669 - Sun Sep 10 2006 08:26 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I'm not sure why but insects don't ruffle me at all - I think it's because I'm so much bigger than they are that it seems like an unfair fight in my favor . However...the top of a skyscraper or the depth of an ocean (or, on that one, the deep end of a pool ) ARE a bit larger than me so drowning and/or heights have always been notable phobias for me.

#321670 - Sun Sep 10 2006 09:08 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
My worst has always been being stuck in a crowded place like an audience or a restaurant. Having to wait at others' paces or timetables can make me feel very trapped if whatever I'm watching or doing becomes boring and the time seems to pass almost as if frozen. It's a bit like being in a lift, everything's fine unless it jams, and that's how it can make me feel in all the other situations.

#321671 - Sun Sep 10 2006 10:02 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I am absolutely terrified of flying insects, anything from a flying ant to a moth or beetle - ugh, but not houseflies or ladybirds. I will not go out when the ants are flying, fortunately this seems to be just a day or two each year (last week!). Moths and flying daddy longlegs (crane flies) mean that I cannot have windows open at night no matter how hot it becomes, they are attracted by the light. When on holiday I have seen huge flying bugs and they have terrified me so much that I would lock myself in the car and refuse to leave or open the window even though it was scorching hot.

I dislike normal spiders and ants, but I am not phobic about them, butterflies are tolerable, just. Mice don't scare me and we don't have snakes.

I think my phobias can be traced back, certainly the moths. One day when I was about nineteen I turned my head and there was a huge brown moth on my shoulder, I have been freaked out by them ever since.

#321672 - Sun Sep 10 2006 04:54 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Guess this could have been in the 'scariest' thread also

A few years ago there was a King Brown snake wrapped around my toilet and then about a year later I was once sunbaking and a brown snake slithered across my hand and I looked up and my face was less than a foot from the snakes mouth. Been a tad worried about them since.

#321673 - Tue Sep 12 2006 07:43 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Quote:

I have a phobia of odd numbers. I can't do things once, three times etc yes, i have to do it twice or 4 times!

Well I`ll be.....I never considered it a phobia but I really dislike odd numbers myself and do have to have things work out to an even number. When I was younger if I happened to turn to look at something, say over my left shoulder, I really had no choice in it but to also turn and look over the right shoulder as well, everything worked out even then. Lol what a strange child I was.

#321674 - Tue Sep 12 2006 11:05 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
gretas Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northern Maine, USA
Okay, curiosity strikes: Can a person actually have a phobia of odd numbers? It seems like that would be more of a compulsive thing that would make it impossible for you to do things one or three times. I know that I have struggled with obessessive/compulsive disorder all of my life, as have my kids. Just wondering, though; I'm no expert. I DO have a mind-numbing, bone-chilling phobia of snakes. All snakes, all sizes, and poisonous or not. I'm also terrified to put my head under water, so swimming's out for this gal.

#321675 - Tue Sep 12 2006 01:41 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I've mentioned here before that I have a very healthy fear of daddylongleg spiders. I know they are harmless but if I see one, I cannot get away fast enough and I will beat myself up trying to get one off me, but I don't know if that would be classified as a true phobia.

I do have a phobia of water though. I can get in a swimming pool with no problem but get in water at a lake, pond, the ocean...forget it. Even on a boat causes me great fear, especially if I can see to the bottom. I underwent hypnosis a few years ago to try to overcome my fear and it seems to have helped a little, at least to the point where I was able to board a ship for a cruise, but I had to stay well away from the railing. We had a suite with a private balcony and my husband spent lots of time out there, but there was no way in heck I was going out there. If I have to get in water for any reason, I start to hyperventilate and will start crying uncontrollably. It's just better that I stay a landlubber.

#321676 - Tue Sep 12 2006 07:39 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
jarsma63 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Michigan USA  
This is an odd one--I am scared to death of heights, so much I've never been on a plane. But I love roller coasters--why can I get on those without freaking out?
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Cor 13:13).

#321677 - Tue Sep 12 2006 09:07 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

When I was younger if I happened to turn to look at something, say over my left shoulder, I really had no choice in it but to also turn and look over the right shoulder as well, everything worked out even then.

It's funny you say that actually because i have exactly the same habits. It's nice to know that i'm not alone in that habit, because other obsessive/compulsive people i have met, don't experience this.

#321678 - Wed Sep 13 2006 02:47 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Nic have you ever done the complete spin back around, like turn completely around one way then have to turn around the other way? Me doing that was certainly an amusing sight for anyone walking down the street. I also count things, like if watching a movie for example I have to count the number of shots fired (hehe I really have a problem with machine guns firing though) or the number of times someone knocks on a door.

#321679 - Wed Sep 13 2006 03:13 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

I have done the spin thing, but the most amusing thing i ever used to do in public was, if i had to bend down to pick something up, and say my left hand touched the ground, i would have to bend down AGAIN and touch the floor with my right hand. This looks amusing to some people, and i have been questioned many times!

#321680 - Wed Sep 13 2006 03:45 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Another thing I am "scared of"...not exactly a phobia...is bare trees and twigs in flower arrangements etc. I just find twigs scary and ghosty. Especailly if I look out of the window and see a bare tree, swaying the the wind

#321681 - Wed Sep 13 2006 04:55 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

So what do you do in winter then? Do you lock yourself in the house!

#321682 - Wed Sep 13 2006 05:05 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Not so scary in daylight...at dusk it's drawn curtains

#321683 - Wed Sep 13 2006 07:14 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
For me, my one real phobia is needles. Can't look at them, not even on TV, just the thought of them makes my heart beat faster and my breath feel short. Knowing I have to have blood drawn or a shot of some kind makes me hysterical (literally) and I've been known to yank my arm away from nurses on reflex, and also cried and carried on like you wouldn't believe, to the point I had one doc (the oral surgeon removing my wisdom teeth) tell me that either I was going to get the darn local or I was going to leave his office and never come back. (I asked him to knock me out, told him I was terrified of needles, and he assured me the nitrous oxide would be enough, that I wouldn't care. He was wrong, I was right, he was sorry.)

I'm also afraid of flying insects, but mostly bees/wasps and cicadas. Cicadas, just because they're huge and clingy and make a lot of noise, and bees/wasps because, well, they sting... Stopped at a drivethru window, a wasp flew in my car, and I actually threw it in park and bailed out, with cars behind me AND MY DAUGHTER in her car seat in the back... (I'm a BAD mommy!) I admit I also duck away from moths and millers and june bugs (ugh!!) but in most cases I can gain master of my reflex reactions if I need too. (Like climbing back in said car and getting out of everyone's way, then shooing the wasp out and closing up the windows tight.) I was the Vanquisher of Yellow Jackets at the preschool I worked at. Just give me a broom, fair damsel, and I shall thwart that vile, winged demon! So, I wouldn't count this one as an actual phobia, I guess. It isn't really reasonable, but I do have control over it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943