Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#321684 - Wed Sep 13 2006 09:20 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Quote:

For me, my one real phobia is needles. Can't look at them, not even on TV, just the thought of them makes my heart beat faster and my breath feel short. Knowing I have to have blood drawn or a shot of some kind makes me hysterical (literally) and I've been known to yank my arm away from nurses on reflex, and also cried and carried on like you wouldn't believe, to the point I had one doc (the oral surgeon removing my wisdom teeth) tell me that either I was going to get the darn local or I was going to leave his office and never come back. (I asked him to knock me out, told him I was terrified of needles, and he assured me the nitrous oxide would be enough, that I wouldn't care. He was wrong, I was right, he was sorry.)

Oh Lothruin, that sounds so much like me Just absolutely terrified of injections. And it is so weird, as I enjoy embroidery so much I go to pieces when I have to have injections

#321685 - Wed Sep 13 2006 10:27 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Jane, yeah, for me it's really specific, and not very consistent. I sew and embroider, and I have three tattoos. But threaten to even prick my finger for a blood test, and it's all I can do to keep myself from running out of the room.

#321686 - Wed Sep 13 2006 05:47 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
draculanut31 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Waterford New Jersey USA    
I gave the girl who gave me an I.V. a fair warning...give me something to hold or I will clock you...

She game me a pillow I feel for you Lothruin.

#321687 - Mon Sep 18 2006 03:25 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I don't mind spiders and things so much -but years ago I used to break out in a sweat when walking into an empty movie theatre!
As a teenager, I had a job painting those old fashioned sing along cards like they used in vaudeville and silent films [ we had a real vaudeville show in Eureka at the old theatre back in 1975 ] The workroom was in back of the place, and the only way I could get back there to work was to walk through that big dark EMPTY theatre -the very thought of it made me weak. But if I didn't get ovr it in a hurry, I couldn't get paid, obviously. So I ended up walking up and down those eisles, fighting off panic. Even though I was able to overcome the phobia well enough to get by, I still breathe fast when I go to the movies these days. I just keep telling myself that I whipped this thing a long time ago, and there's no need to go backwards with it.

#321688 - Mon Sep 18 2006 03:47 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I wonder if that has a name ,Kate?

#321689 - Mon Sep 18 2006 03:50 AM Re: Do you have a phobia?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Theatrophobia- Fear of theatres.
Kenophobia- Fear of voids or empty spaces.

Pehaps it is kenotheatrophobia!

Not sure if that covers it.

This is a great list of phobias

Edited by sue943 (Mon Sep 18 2006 03:54 AM)

#321690 - Mon Sep 18 2006 02:11 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Wow. I'm sicker than I thought. I didn't know those things all had names.
I'd better go lie down.

#321691 - Mon Sep 18 2006 04:13 PM Re: Do you have a phobia?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Maybe you should take comfort in the fact that you're not alone in your fears! They didn't make up a name just for you.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ren33, sue943