Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#322210 - Thu Sep 14 2006 08:08 PM Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
prof_electro Offline
Explorer

Loc: Reno NevadaUSA
OK, I confess, we've all done a dumb or embarassing thing or two (or many). What would you like to confess? Tell the doctor (and I might have a laugh with you.)

Here's my first entry:
I am not a morning person. I start each day with a shot of espresso. Over the years I have:
1. Forgotten to put the little cup under the spout (an all-over ejected, dripping, steaming mess).
2. Turned the switch on to the "froth" position (no coffee but a lot of steam from the wrong nozzle).
3. Forgot to put the coffee in. (nice hot water though).
4. Forgot to put the water in and then wondered why it didn't come out. (that was THIS MORNING!.. arrggggghhhhhh)

Now I'm a fairly bright, kinda likable fellow but I think my espresso machine hates me or I have a rare medical condition that precludes espresso-brewer-cognition.

#322211 - Thu Sep 14 2006 10:36 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Wow, my husband and I were just laughing over something I did last night. I was getting ready to go out and was looking for my cell phone. I couldn't find it anywhere and I was going crazy thinking that I had lost it, yet I knew that I had had it earlier so I knew it had to be somewhere here. Then I noticed some paper towels wadded up and sitting on the countertop. I couldn't figure out why they were there and not in the trash when it occurred to me....uh-oh, yep, look in the trash can and there's my phone. I threw it away instead of the papertowels that were in my other hand, then just walked away without giving it another thought. Good thing I didn't take the trash out.

#322212 - Fri Sep 15 2006 04:16 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong HongKong
I tell this one from time to time, (and George always has a little giggle) I came out of hospital; with my brand new baby daughter. I dressed myself up to the nines and put the baby in her brand new coach built pram. I pranced down the road , proud as punch, and did some shopping. Last stop the butchers. I got sausages and pork chops and went home. I arrived at my front door and realisied I had the shopping, but left the baby outside the shop. I ran back to meet the dear old cockney butcher, wheeling the pram towards me. "Did yer forgit something darlin'?" he asked?

#322213 - Fri Sep 15 2006 04:53 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
My mother-in-law did the same thing with my husband Ren. The shameful thing is that she remembered to bring the dog home!

I've absent mindedly put the loo rolls in the fridge before now, prompting the family to ask if curry was on the menu.

#322214 - Fri Sep 15 2006 05:39 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
The American doctors apparently have a name for confusion problems suffered by people have who have been on heart-lung bipass, we are known as having 'pumphead'.

I keep turning up for appointments on the wrong days, it is almost becoming a habit. A day early is not so much a problem as being a few days late.

#322215 - Fri Sep 15 2006 08:28 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury LondonUK
I am simply absent minded and rush things. I can't remember more than two things at a time and the third will usually be forgotten if not written down.

I have regularly demonstrated this here by asking questions either someone else had just asked or the links I'd lost were right in front of me and I didn't notice (like 'flat mode'). I tend to act first and think later, but I hope I learn from each mistake

#322216 - Fri Sep 15 2006 09:02 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England�UK...
I've made three of prof_electro's four foul-ups with the coffee-maker (there isn't a froth position on my machine or I'm sure I'd have done that as well). I've also absent-mindedly tossed a teabag into my cup and then made coffee and poured it in.

#322217 - Fri Sep 15 2006 07:48 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
prof_electro Offline
Explorer

Loc: Reno NevadaUSA
Oh, ClaraSue you have reminded me of another faux-pas.....

I came home and promptly put the groceries away. I heard the cell phone ringing but could not locate it. I looked through the cupboards and drawers in my small home. I live in a 5th wheel trailer (caravan to you Brits and Aussies). I did find it later that evening.... in the refrigerator.

Good one, professor dummy! What'dya do for an encore?

#322218 - Fri Sep 15 2006 08:31 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong HongKong
Who has ever picked up the TV remote control and tried to call their friend?

#322219 - Fri Sep 15 2006 08:46 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area CaliforniaUSA
I have tried to answer the remote before.

On more than one occassion I've found the cereal in the refrigerator and the milk in the cupboard.

My husband has a habit of getting up in the middle of the night to eat ice cream. We've lost several cartons of it because they wind up in the fridge instead of the freezer...

I do way too many dumb things to list them here. That's what ADD will do for you--I'm a bit of a scatterbrain.

#322220 - Sat Sep 16 2006 05:00 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

ChannelIslands
Often I have poured boiling water into an empty mug, having forgotten to put a teabag in there first.

#322221 - Tue Sep 19 2006 03:29 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
The list of less than smart things I`ve done is a long one but here are some actions and thoughts for your entertainment.

I was throwing rubbish into a pit and quite deliberately and with some force threw my only set of car keys in, I was supposed to pick up a girlfriend from the airport that arvo, but that didn`t happen.

Recently whilst viewing some panoramic photos on the net I became aware that the greens and reds in the photos were amazingly vivd for me, I`m slightly red and green colour blind. I was looking at the pics and the thought occured to me that because I have spent so much time looking at my monitor the radiation had cured my colour blindness, miracle of miracles! Soon after I realised that the photos were simply very high resolution.

Late one evening I was looking at a closed timber paneled door that I can see from my bed, there was faint light seemingly coming from behind a couple of the timber panels and I recall thinking wow the timber must be so thin there that I see through it. Later on I realised that the light was shining on the door from another source.

#322222 - Tue Sep 19 2006 03:37 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

ChannelIslands
I am befuddled here, did you MEAN to throw the cars keys away?

#322223 - Tue Sep 19 2006 03:38 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
I meant to throw whatever was in my hand at the time Sue, sadly it happened to be my keys. I then spent almost an hour looking through several tons of rubbish that the tip workers were good enough to retrieve and spread out for me, not a fun experience especially as the keys were gone for good.

Edited by damnsuicidalroos (Tue Sep 19 2006 03:41 AM)

#322224 - Tue Sep 19 2006 03:51 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

ChannelIslands
Oh dear.

#322225 - Tue Sep 19 2006 05:05 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I once had a pretty heavy night out and I'd camped on the lounge at a friends. Next morning, feeling a bit second hand, I could see the carpet on the floor sort of rolling. I thought I was going nuts as anyone that walked in or past couldn't see it. I was certain it was doing it and made my mate sit on the lounge until it did happen again. Phew. Turns out it was just really windy and it was coming up through the floor boards and the carpet had never been nailed down.

#322226 - Tue Sep 19 2006 07:32 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

NSW Australia
Hehe, that reminds me of my brothers dumb thing. A few years ago in Sydney we started to get many blokes selling hotdogs from portable water heaters on stands outside pubs, my brother came out of a pub more than a little under the influence and approached the old bloke outside, "Hello mate I`ll have two with sauce thanks", the old bloke was a little slow with the hotdogs but my brother could "see" him bending over the hotdog warmer getting them out. The old bloke seemed to be taking a long time about it and he was asked again "c`mon I just want two with sauce please", the poor old bloke stopped bending over the rubbish bin he was scrouging through for aluminium cans and headed off to somewhere young drunks wouldn`t annoy him.

#322227 - Wed Sep 20 2006 06:26 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha NebraskaUSA
I turned the wrong way onto a one-way yesterday. Thankfully, the results were less than tragic.

#322228 - Wed Sep 20 2006 08:17 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I'm in the "don't let me do anything without two cups of coffee" (including make coffee) group. I too have done all but the 'froth' booboos. Even setting the coffee maker (not espresso, in my case) up ready before bed doesn't seem to work - I either forget to plug it in or don't flip the switch...

#322229 - Wed Sep 20 2006 03:25 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I remember one workplace I was in, and I was tired in the late afternoon and I'd go the candy machine for a Bounty...and lean my weary head against is, put the money in and wait...then realize it didn't read my mind.

I have put unground beans in my espresso maker from time to time...then realized only too late.

#322230 - Fri Sep 22 2006 05:40 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
Gamemaster1967 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Richmond TX
Quote:

4. Forgot to put the water in and then wondered why it didn't come out. (that was THIS MORNING!.. arrggggghhhhhh)

I've done both of these, more than once.

I have put my cell in the fridge as well, but this tops that. I looked all over for my keys and my cell (separate occasions) and they were.... you guessed it folks, in my HAND!

LOL

Wendy

#322231 - Fri Oct 13 2006 08:58 AM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng SouthAfrica
I cant count the number of times I have made out my shopping list only to leave it at home on the table.
I have also made my husband a cup of tea, with a tea bag and filled it up with coffee. In all honesty it was a little dark and the coffee was in an unmarked thermos so I did not see that it was coffee. He loves to tell everyone the story over and over again.

#322232 - Fri Oct 13 2006 12:47 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
malarson Offline
Participant

Loc: Colorado USA
My dad quite often puts his socks in his back pocket and promptly loses them......without removing them from his pocket........

#322233 - Mon Oct 16 2006 08:30 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
Mozziebabe Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Queensland Australia
Quote:

Quote:

I've done both of these, more than once.

I have put my cell in the fridge as well, but this tops that. I looked all over for my keys and my cell (separate occasions) and they were.... you guessed it folks, in my HAND!

LOL

Wendy

Haha. I've done that before except with my watch. Looking everywhere for it...half an hour later someone says "Uhh...you have it around your wrist."

#322234 - Wed Dec 13 2006 12:33 PM Re: Dumb confessions....oops, I can't believe I did that!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

ChannelIslands
A few days ago I wrote all my Christmas cards (but already have found a few that I missed), and posted them. I have this lovely label printer and it saves the names and addresses of everyone for whom I have created a label. This is invaluable as you can imagine for doing Christmas cards, just print off one for every address (barring commecial concerns) and then make and write the cards - easy peasy.

Slight problem, I came across one address, thought it was a certain person so made a suitable card and posted it. Then I receive an email from that person and realise the surname didn't tally. Then the penny dropped, I have posted the card to a seller on ebay who asked for a cheque rather than paypal!

What a prat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943