Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#323551 - Mon Sep 25 2006 04:18 AM Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I have bought a few things, it was a case of buying them when I saw them saw them. Normally I don't start buying yet.

Anyone else done any of their shopping yet? Do any of you start in January? Who leaves it to the last minute?

#323552 - Mon Sep 25 2006 04:32 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
Quote:

Who leaves it to the last minute?

That's me! About a week before Christmas, i realise that i've missed certain people, and it's them that get the dodgy, last minute presents!

#323553 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:14 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
Gamemaster1967 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Richmond TX
Sue, I just started thinking about that last night! I do usually leave it for the last minute, due to financial reasons. I have a huge extended family, but only buy for my mom, grandmother, my husband's parents, and our son. I almost never buy my husband anything, and I've almost trained him to stop buying me gifts.

Wen

#323554 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:25 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
I'll put my hand up and admit that I have started.
When we were in Alaska I picked up a few things that I couldn't get around here, but just last week I started regular Christmas shopping.
Most of the people whom I have bought for actually have birthdays between now and then, and it was very much a case of getting both the birthday gift and the Christmas gift while on a roll.
However I do confess that I am one of those people who absolutely loathes last minute shopping, and if I'm not 90% done by Dec 1st, then I start to obsess. I hate the crowds, hate the 'all day power shopping' where you get jostled while looking and then stand in line for ages. And I really hate the thought of settling for something that isn't exactly what you really want to give, but you've run out of time to look anymore for the right thing.
When I was in the stores last week and sheepishly asked the salesclerks to mark the receipt as Christmas gifts, most people looked at me like I was daft. However one proclaimed me to be very smart and said that she too had already started because she felt you generally had a better selection at this time of year, as things weren't so picked over.

My sister is a last minute power shopper who doesn't even think about Christmas shopping until after Dec 1st. She is thoroughly miserable about the whole thing and snaps if you ask her what her daughter would like and curses you for getting things done so early.
She does the same thing to herself every single year, and derives absolutely no pleasure out of the season until December 24th. We draw names among the adults and I cringe when I draw her name because she will be the one who will drag my shopping on because she's so unco-operative about providing ideas, and yet doesn't respond well to surprise gifts.
Conversely I start my shopping early, do a little each week, take my time to find what I really want, and thoroughly enjoy the process.
I really don't understand why she does this to herself every year and suggest that she start sooner but she just snarls and says that she doen't have the time. I try to point out that it would actually take less time early, without the crowds, but she doesn't want to hear it.
My other sister used to shop like her, but has listened to me and started doing some a little earlier. She agress that it's a much more pleasant experience.

I remember years ago when I worked in a drug store while going to university. On Christmas Eve, 20 minutes before we closed, a young man walked in and handed me his Christmas list (about a dozen names, no ideas). He had not even started his shopping, and the whole mall was going to close. I was flabbergasted.
This was a drugstore, remember, so the people on his list got a lot of blow dryers, colgnes and chocolates that year, and he made us close late in the process.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#323555 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:28 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
One problem that I have in shopping early is that I forget that I have bought presents and end up buying more for the same people!

#323556 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:31 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Not quite the same thing, but this year I decided to be inspired by JaneMarple and Mrs TW and try my hand at making some cards. I have bought lots of card blanks and other bits and pieces and then today when I started trying to tidy my house a little, I found all those boxes of Christmas cards I bought in January at half price!

#323557 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:35 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Sad little me started about a month ago - just picking up something here and there. I'm finding it easy to get things for the extended members of the family and friends but when it comes to the direct members I struggle so if I see something I get it and put it away. (and usually about mid December my Mum, trying to avoid the hassle of Christmas shopping, will say, "let's not do pressies this year" and I reply "I've already done most of mine" and she will have to do it all anyway. )

#323558 - Mon Sep 25 2006 07:56 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Quote:

One problem that I have in shopping early is that I forget that I have bought presents and end up buying more for the same people!

I have a list that I keep on the computer, otherwise I would do the same thing. Every time I make a purchase I add it to the list, which then gets printed out when it's time to wrap.
Since I do 99.9% of the shopping, my hubby and the kids do 99.9% of the wrapping!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#323559 - Mon Sep 25 2006 09:20 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I've got two of my own Christmas presents already - Christmas jigsaws. And I've also got a little present for one of my friends, which I knew she'd like. My Christmas shopping usually is done in three or four weeks. Usually know more or less what I want to buy for people, so it is usally easy.
I am sure Sue that you'll be able to "recycle" the Christmas cards which you have already brought

#323560 - Mon Sep 25 2006 05:46 PM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Have you started making some cards yet this year, Jane? Would love to see them when you do (and steal some ideas! ) I got some blank card half price this weekend so hopefully will do somethign with them.

#323561 - Tue Sep 26 2006 01:09 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Yes, me and Mum are almost through with making them, next job is to make the "inserts" for inside them. Pictures will come along in a few weeks!

#323562 - Tue Sep 26 2006 01:18 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
We have a few gifts bought and I have started on the overseas and United States ones.

Hopefully this year the parcels will arrive before Christmas.

I love Christmas and I love to spend money on others.It gives me a rush to buy gifts for others that I hope they will like.

I just miss the snow!!

PF

#323563 - Tue Sep 26 2006 06:21 AM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

They're predicting a milder than average winter for us, so I don't expect we'll have too much snow either - especially not the kind that hangs around for any length of time.

#323564 - Wed Sep 27 2006 03:54 PM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I haven't because I'm busy buying things for my wedding.

Editor for Television Category

#323565 - Wed Sep 27 2006 04:49 PM Re: Anyone started their Christmas shopping?
tiffanyram Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Tennessee USA
I'm always a last minute shopper. I am usually still buying gifts on Christmas Eve! Usually if I see something during the year, I just thing of buying it later because if I didn't then I would probably end up keeping it for myself since most of my friends like the same things I do.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943