Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#323566 - Mon Sep 25 2006 04:32 AM Meeting long lost family members
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
In a few weeks time I will be having a very strange weekend. I am going to stay with my brother for a few days as I have a forty year school reunion to attend - that ought to be fun. If that isn't enough, I will be meeting three or four cousins whom I have recently 'found' after many years.

I met one of them a couple of years ago at my mother's house but I am to meet her two brohers, neither have I seen for well over forty years and I only saw them once then although I must have seen them when I was a toddler. Then I might also meet a female cousin whom I haven't seen for forty years.

The reason for the estrangements is that for the first three cousins, their parent had an acrimonious divorce and they lost contact with their father and his family. The female cousin's father died and his widow moved away and broke off contact with her husband's family. We have all 'found' each other when researching our family history. My mother, and their fathers shared a very unusual surname. I was searching for information about my grandather and found someone looking for their grandfather of the same name. I sent a message to say that if it was the same person it made us cousins. I got a message back and yes, we were first cousins. She then said that she had made contact with these other cousins who were also searching for infomation about the same man - so we will meet up.

The school reunion is being arranged by someone who contacted some of us through Friends Reunited.

#323567 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:16 AM Re: Meeting long lost family members
Gamemaster1967 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Richmond TX
Sue, good luck at the reunions! High school would make me more nervous than long lost relatives! Those folks were so judgmental, and I could care less what my family thinks of me.

#323568 - Sun Oct 01 2006 03:37 PM Re: Meeting long lost family members
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I have just received a list of names of those from school who will be attending, including me there will be nineteen, so nineteen per cent of the year as we were one hundred in total. That is quite a good turn out, some will be living overseas, some will be dead. I know some of these people will have travelled quite a way, like me, to be at the reunion.

A number of them are teachers, in fact probably quite a few, certainly one is a head teacher, another is a deputy head teacher. Makes me glad to be 'on the sick' and basically retired, I don't have to compete with them.

I am getting quite excited, it is in two weeks time.

#323569 - Mon Oct 02 2006 12:29 PM Re: Meeting long lost family members
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I'm a sucker for nostalgia, as everyone has probably noticed. My favourite school started rehular reunions in 1986, and since I was there less than 2 years made up for it a little by my regular returns, though nowadays hardly anyone I know bothers to come. Then my primary school had their second in 2002 (I didn't hear the first as I'd moved) and besides the hall where we voted till moving in 1993 hadn't seen the rest since 1969. There were many new buildings but the rest were identical, and I filmed the lot. Sadly only two people I knew were there but it was a nice day and brought back memories.

As for relatives my family has the bare minimum. No brothers sisters or cousins, one late uncle and an aunt by marriage, plus parents and my grandma. It makes the few of us a lot closer though, but it would be nice to discover one more, especially my own age as the closest was my uncle who was 21 years older. There are no family twists and turns though, what I see is exactly what I get, but we do have the quality though little quantity.

#323570 - Mon Oct 02 2006 02:21 PM Re: Meeting long lost family members
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
This one is good in the fact that we know in advance who is going to be there, we were sent a list of maiden names together with current names. A couple of them were particular friends of mine. One was at school with me from the age of four (almost five) until I left my senior school, we used to play outside school too. Another was a special friend during most of my senior school.

#323571 - Thu Oct 05 2006 10:23 AM Re: Meeting long lost family members
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
This reunion weekend is getting even better. I have now been contacted by someone that I used to work with more than thirty years ago, she is arranging a reunion a week or so later as another old friend will be back from Singapore for a couple of weeks, she apparently will get back the day after I arrive in England and has a wedding to attend on the same day as my school reunion. I haven't been in touch with her yet but hopefully I might meet up with her while she is back, and also meet with the person who contacted me. It really could be the weidest weekend if I meet with old schoolfriends, long lost relativess and old colleagues. I will be exhausted.

#323572 - Thu Oct 05 2006 10:57 AM Re: Meeting long lost family members
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
There's so many family members in my family (Dad one of 12, Mum one of 13) that it is easy to lose track of how many cousins I have And too many to try and make a family tree. Good luck with the school reunion Sue. It will be a few years before there's a school reunion for my year (left in the early 90's) but not sure if I would want to attend. So many different things change during the years.

#323573 - Thu Oct 05 2006 11:00 AM Re: Meeting long lost family members
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I know that feeling, my father was one of 6 and my mother was one of 15.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943