Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#323583 - Mon Sep 25 2006 05:52 AM What use are spiders?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Most people loath the things, do they actually serve a purpose in life?

I was intending to start a garden 'tidy up' before the autumn sets in, then I saw all these horrid spider webs complete with nasty spiders in residence and I am now seriously thinking of employing someone to do it for me.

#323584 - Mon Sep 25 2006 05:54 AM Re: What use are spiders?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
This is the particular spider that I am seeing, the common garden spider.

#323585 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:06 AM Re: What use are spiders?
Catamount Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Coquitlam BC Canada     
They eat mosquitoes.

#323586 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:08 AM Re: What use are spiders?
Gamemaster1967 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Richmond TX
Sue, I haven't seen that spider before, but we have TONS here in Georgia! I actually quite like them, as they eat flies! But, it seems every time I totally relax, I get a bite from one! It isn't really painful, just burns and itches for a day or so. I try to never kill them, since their lives are so short anyway. But, if you wanna discuss roaches... let's talk warfare!

Wendy

#323587 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:21 AM Re: What use are spiders?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
You haven't seen that one before? Come to my garden, there are loads of the blighters, I just went to look and saw no less than four within a metre. I am definitely going to pay someone to do my clear up, either that or they will have to die and I guess that wouldn't be fair.

#323588 - Mon Sep 25 2006 06:35 AM Re: What use are spiders?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Their only use is to scare me, I think. My house is usually pretty good, I have it sprayed, but the last couple weeks I'm seeing a few of the eight legged demons getting about. Time for a re-spray!

#323589 - Mon Sep 25 2006 08:11 AM Re: What use are spiders?
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
The common garden spider is a godsend Sue. Like you, I'm thinking of tidying up the garden. However, I can't bear the thought of destroying all those webs that took the spiders ages to make, so I have to come indoors and waste time on this site instead. I'm trying to encourage them to construct webs over my ironing board as well.

The webs look really lovely in the morning when they're covered with dew, or after a frost.

#323590 - Mon Sep 25 2006 08:53 AM Re: What use are spiders?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
If it is a godsend, what does it actually do apart from making huge webs?

#323591 - Mon Sep 25 2006 05:47 PM Re: What use are spiders?
Copago Offline

Quote:

I'm trying to encourage them to construct webs over my ironing board as well.

HA!!! You're right, Sal, inticate webs look fantasitc in the early morning dew - I'm too much of a scaredy cat to get too close though.

#323592 - Mon Sep 25 2006 09:09 PM Re: What use are spiders?
boji8 Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington USA
Spiders are one of my most feared. We have a couple of posionous ones. I go to spider web sites and watch shows. There is some pretty grusome pictures of people with spider bites. I hear the most deadly is the Funnel Web? I do not have that one. Never meat anyone who has seen one. Sue, your picture scared me.(haha) I clicked on it out of pure wonder. Yes, he was scary just like i thought he would be. I totally understand the garden situation. I am the same way.

Edited by boji8 (Mon Sep 25 2006 09:10 PM)

#323593 - Mon Sep 25 2006 09:20 PM Re: What use are spiders?
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
The Sydney Funnelweb is a very scary creature, and I have seen many of them. We actually found one resting on the bottom of our swimming pool, surviving in a bubble of air. Fortunately, all hospitals carry anti-venine, and fatalities are very rare these days.

I was driving home from work last week, and a Huntsman spider crawled across the windscreen. These fellers are not very dangerous, but they are huge (about 2 inches across), and look terrifying! Check out the first picture on this site. Luckily there was no other traffic on the road, but I probably looked silly trying to chase him out of the car!

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#323594 - Mon Sep 25 2006 10:15 PM Re: What use are spiders?
boji8 Offline
Participant

ozzz2002, geez that spider is awful. Thank you for the picture. I can not resist looking at them. So you live with the dreaded Funnelweb. I have never talked to anyone who has seen one. I have only seen a couple of shows that talk about the Funnelweb. I seen this show where a lady had one in her shoe. Yikes. I believe they are quite big? And i hear they like to live inside homes.

#323595 - Mon Sep 25 2006 10:37 PM Re: What use are spiders?
Copago Offline

I don't think they're that big at all, are they? They dont live where I am so don't know for sure.

If I were in the car and a huntsman ran across the windscreen I'm out of there, possibly causing accidents in the process, they are the most horrible spiders ever. It's the size of the spider that worries me, a small deadly redback doesn't bother me (unless it's on the toilet seat of course! ) but a large harmless huntsman will send me to tears.

#323596 - Mon Sep 25 2006 11:51 PM Re: What use are spiders?
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
The Funnelweb is about half the size of a Huntsman, but very aggressive. They will rear up into attack mode very quickly, as this picture shows. They are fairly common in Sydney and surrounds. This site has a few facts and figures that may interest you.

The Redback Spider is also quite dangerous, and much more widespread. Read all about them here. Copago's reference to the toilet seat brings back some painful memories, as I was bitten by one of these little blighters when I was a kid. There is even a song about this occurrence, which is quite funny. The lyrics are here.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#323597 - Tue Sep 26 2006 01:52 AM Re: What use are spiders?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Right, that is Australia crossed off my 'to visit' list. We might havae about 600 different spiders in the UK but none are poisonous. I have only ever seen one HUGE one and that was about forty years ago, I was in a pub with a boyfriend and it ran across the floor, we were out of there so fast, ewk - I have no idea if it was an escaped pet or what.

#323598 - Tue Sep 26 2006 02:15 AM Re: What use are spiders?
boji8 Offline
Participant

I missed the picture of the Redback spider earlier. Just viewed it. Yes, it looks alot like the Black Widow. We have Black Widows where i live. I have had many encounters. I have never been bit. We also have the Brown Recluse. I have to tell this story. I was having a moving sale a few years ago. I had this old speaker box that i pulled out of my garage for sale. This man wanted to buy it. He said "I'll give you five dollars over your asking price if you remove the two Black Widows in there". I looked in there, sure enough two Black Widows had moved in. My answer was no.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943