Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#324134 - Thu Sep 28 2006 06:32 AM Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Most of us have some gadgets around the home, some of us could even be described as being suckers for them, yes, me.

So looking around your home, which gadgets do you have which are really useful, and frequently used? Then on the other hand, which gadgets looked promising but you really never use it and it would be better off recycled?

Useful

Sandwich toaster. I just broke the handle on mine so will buying a new one today as I use it very frequently.

Label printer. I only bought it a couple of months back and do not know how I managed without it, I use it far more than I expected.

Rottiserie. I only use it to cook chickens but they taste devine.

Waste of space

Breadmaker. Used a couple of times but I will use it more, honest.

Lean mean grilling machine, yes named after a boxer. I used it once and it took an age to cook some bacon so I haven't bothered since.

Air compressor. Yes, yes, yes. It is STILL in its box, never unpacked from when I first bought it.

I am sure more will occur to me.

#324135 - Fri Sep 29 2006 06:16 AM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
Gamemaster1967 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Richmond TX
I'll admit I am a gadget lover. I am not totally adept all the communication gadgets as of yet, I've never owned a MP3 player.

Very useful:

Dishwasher
Clothes washer/dryer
Microwave
Cordless Phone
Cellular Phone
Home computer
Remote Controls
DVR
MP3 Player (I really want one)
Video game consoles and handhelds
PDAs, though I've never owned one
Laptops
Toaster
Coffee maker
Counter top grill

Less useful for me:

Breadmaker (FOR SURE)
Toaster oven, somewhat useful, too much space used
Space heater, somewhat
multi function calculators
Coleman stoves, gas scares me
gas burning fireplaces, I like wood burning
Coin sorters, I use Coinstar

#324136 - Fri Sep 29 2006 06:40 AM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
I love my breadmaker; I've had it for about 15 years and have made lots of terrific bread.
A bowl of home-made soup (or stew) and a slice of bread from the breadmaker is one of my family's favourite meals.
I love my slow cooker. I resisted getting one for years (never liked the idea of going to work for the day while it was on) but now that I work out of the home, it's one of my favourite toys.
I don't use my food processor nearly as much, but when I need it, I'm awfully glad that I have it.
I'd have to say that one of my favourite toys right now is my blender. I finally packed in the old one (over 25 years old and not the best to begin with) and got a new one.
Fruit smoothies are now another popular meal around here - but for lunches more than dinners.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#324137 - Fri Sep 29 2006 11:41 AM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I bought a slow cooker and as it was still boxed three years later I gave it away for free on our recycling scheme. I also gave away one of my breadmakers, I still have one but don't use it.

#324138 - Fri Sep 29 2006 12:29 PM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Let's see, I love my Crockpot, but since my hubby does most of the cooking, it doesn't get used terribly often. However, the roaster/slowcooker thing his mom got him gets used regularly. The electric griddle sat in the box for a year, then got used every other day for 8 months, and has sat unused for 4 months now. Our rotation of meals goes in spurts, it seams. I own a waffle iron and a blender that I keep swearing I will use regularly some day, because I love waffles AND fruit smoothies, but with so little counter space, and almost as little cupboard space, the vast majority of our kitchen appliances get put no a shelf in the basement until such a time as we want to use them, and out of sight, out of mind. The only small appliance that sits out on the counter is my coffee pot. Another appliance that I'm sure most would DISagree with me on is my air popcorn popper. I LOVE popcorn, but I dislike microwave popcorn for many reasons, to include taste and lingering weird odor, so getting my hands on a popcorn popper was a moment of celebration, and I use it at least twice a week.

#324139 - Fri Sep 29 2006 01:55 PM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
hmmm, I thought a crockpot was a slowcooker? Anyway, I have a crockpot and use it regularly - put a stew on the night before, add some stuff like soup mix the next morning and it's ready by lunch. Too easy. Love my breadmaker too - use it everyday.

The things I don't use would be the juicer - I want to use it but it's always a hassle. The food processor doesn't get used much either but as Skunkee said, it is handy to have when you need it. And a deep fryer - used it often when I first got it but seldom since.

#324140 - Fri Sep 29 2006 02:19 PM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Yeah, a crockpot is a slowcooker, but it's a brand name. I have an actual CrockPot, but my husband's roaster/slowcooker thing is a different shape and has no pottery insert, and for some reason he prefers it. (I actually think it is because it is long and low, so a roast fits in nicely.) He just doesn't like using the CrockPot.

In addition, we also have a Fry Daddy deep fryer and an Oster Kitchen center with food processor and ice cream maker attachments that have never been used in our current home.

#324141 - Fri Sep 29 2006 02:36 PM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
I'm just curious. For those of you who have a breadmaker and don't use it. Is it because you make bread the old fashion way or you don't make bread at all and just buy it at the store. We have a breadmaker that the kids bought us. My better half likes to make bread by hand as she says it gets rid of her frustrations (I have no idea who would be frustrating her). However I thought it would be a great gadget for older people who still like the taste of homemade but because of arthritis can't knead anymore. We sometimes use the mix and knead programs then bake the bread in the oven as my wife thinks the oven does a better job.

Homer Simpson

#324142 - Fri Sep 29 2006 02:45 PM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

My mother has a breadmaker and doesn't use it anymore. She used to use it all the time, but then my dad went on the Atkins diet and she had to stop making fresh bread because it was too tempting. Well, now they aren't on that diet anymore, but in the meantime she found Exekiel 4:9 bread, which is made of whole grains and legumes with no flour, and it is quite tastey, and about the only bread they eat anymore. (Well, not including oat scones, biscuts ad cornbread, of course...) So mom's breadmaker just sits gathering dust, and probably will continue so, unless mom can figure out an Ezekiel bread recipe for it.

#324143 - Fri Sep 29 2006 02:56 PM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I tend to buy bread. I really must try making it again, it really does taste so much better than the plastic stuff. The main problem will be trying not to eat it in great chunks, yum.

#324144 - Fri Sep 29 2006 03:21 PM Re: Gadgets, love 'em or loath 'em?
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I have a breadmaker and used to use it quite often, but then I started doing something wrong (that I can't figure out) and the loaves kept turning out about half as long as they were supposed to. So now it's in the closet. I love baking bread the old-fashioned way, and still do in the cooler months. We bought the breadmaker specifically for the warmer months when it's too hot to bake.
I absolutely couldn't live without my slow cooker. I love doing all the preparation in the morning and having everything ready and waiting at suppertime. I use it even if I'm home all day. You name it, I've cooked it in my slow cooker. And just like the breadmaker, it's especially good in the warm weather to keep from heating the kitchen up with the oven.
My Kitchen-aid mixer was a gift from my husband a few Christmases ago, and it's one of my favorite gadgets. I actually let it do the kneading of my bread if I'm busy with other things, and my pizza dough, too. I got the grinder attachment off ebay, and grinding up chicken or ham for chicken/ham salad is so fast and easy with it.
My son got me a pasta maker a few years ago for my birthday. It's the kind where you turn the crank, not the electric kind. Although I've made homemade noodles a few times with it, and they are TO DIE FOR, it's just so much of an ordeal and mess I don't do it much. It takes 2 people, one to turn the crank and feed the dough through, and one to catch it coming out. I think my Christmas list this year will include the pasta maker attachment for my Kitchen-aid!

Moderator:  ren33, sue943