Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#324382 - Thu Sep 28 2006 02:01 PM What makes a good website?
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Since Terry has been doing so much around the site lately, I was just wondering what everyone else thought about what makes a good website. Certainly, as Terry has illustrated, is communication and a willingness for the programmers to listen to the users. Also, I think a good community is very helpful, and I think that actually means strict rules, especially when it comes to forums and discussion.

Now not all websites mirror Funtrivia, so what other sites are out there that have pleasing aspects to them?

Editor: World and General

#324383 - Thu Sep 28 2006 03:31 PM Re: What makes a good website?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I am not quite sure what you are asking, if you are asking people to recommend other sites of a similar nature then I don't think that is appropriate. If you are being more general, for instance I think the BBC News website is an excellent site. There are lots of great sites out there, it really depends on your needs and requirements.

#324384 - Thu Sep 28 2006 03:41 PM Re: What makes a good website?
trident Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
Basically, what I am asking is what aspects of websites appeal to people. Here, I enjoy the friendly atmosphere and the fact that there is a lot of communication between the users and Terry, the designer.

There are other sites that I enjoy for these reasons. I think another important aspect of a site is its graphics or design. I can't stand looking at ugly, poorly designed pages.

Editor: World and General

#324385 - Thu Sep 28 2006 03:53 PM Re: What makes a good website?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Websites must be about something. Just creating a website to create a website won't do.

They need to make sense in how they're laid out. I never realised how much work that took until I met my fiance and he asked me to beta test a design. I'd click on something and he'd ask things like "Well, WHY did you click there? Where did you think it would take you?"

And they can't be overrun by the masses. If there is a discussion area, people can't be allowed to just run around like crazies or else it will be anarchy and chaos.

Editor for Television Category

#324386 - Fri Sep 29 2006 02:20 PM Re: What makes a good website?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I think to me there are a couple of things that make a good website.

One is community - one site that I spend almost as much time on as I do here is a message board for a twelve step group I belong to. Badly designed, ugly colours, but a wonderful group of people.

Another is that it have something I want, for want of a better term. I go to ebay to buy or sell things, I go to washingtonpost.com to read the funnies and Miss Manners, etc. If I have a choice of two or three places that offer the same service, then, sure, I'll go to the easier-to-use, more attractive one, but I'm there for the service, not the page.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943