Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#324410 - Thu Sep 28 2006 11:01 PM Need help with a little story
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Ok, so I'm making a pre-designed scrapbook for my dad for his birthday on Saturday. I've been nurturing a few volunteer oak trees for him, and will be replantng this fall, and I wrote a story to go in the scrapbook, and am leaving places for him to add pictures of the planting, and the trees' growth. So I wanted to run the story by you guys, to make sure it flows OK, keeping in mind that it is meant to be a childrens' story, and that some of the organization of the sentences is dependant on how it will sit in the scrapbook...

Edited to remove story contents now that the project is on its way, to avoid, as Ren pointed out, any unscrupulous use. However, if anyone is interested in reading the story, or having a copy, just PM me.

Does it work?

Edited by Lothruin (Fri Sep 29 2006 10:35 PM)

#324411 - Fri Sep 29 2006 01:18 AM Re: Need help with a little story
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I think it works great - what a fantastic idea (and one that I might steal and work in with something else if that's okay?)

Perhaps a page of the tree in a storm (if that's possible) to show it's strength?

Edited by Copago (Fri Sep 29 2006 01:19 AM)

#324412 - Fri Sep 29 2006 01:27 AM Re: Need help with a little story
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
pg 5 "above the fall blankets" sounds like it needs something more.
I love it and think it is a great gift for your dad. What a good idea!

#324413 - Fri Sep 29 2006 01:39 AM Re: Need help with a little story
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Thanks guys!

You're right, that phrase is a little off. I'll have to sleep on it and see if I can come up with a little better wording there.

Copago: It isn't stealing if you have permission.

Each of the "spreads" has coordinating pages (I just finished the layout bits) and the text will be printed in various matching colors and on various sizes of small boxes in either cream or white, depending on what page it'll be going onto. (I'd write them all out, but I have terrible handwriting.) So, there are specific places left for photos to be added at the right times, but there are also places on each page left to add other little items to illustrate the page, like a picture of Momma Oak (a fine 100yr old pin oak, I must say) in a storm. Unfortunately, I got this idea last minute, so I don't have all the pics I'd like to add, but it's a work in progress anyway, and meant to be added as we go, so I think that'll be OK.

Edited by Lothruin (Fri Sep 29 2006 01:39 AM)

#324414 - Fri Sep 29 2006 01:53 AM Re: Need help with a little story
Copago Offline

Everyone thinks their handwriting is terrible but it is yours and a great way to put a bit of "you" on a page. You've probably heard all that before though

#324415 - Fri Sep 29 2006 04:12 AM Re: Need help with a little story
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

Copago: It isn't stealing if you have permission

I would do something about keeping that safe from theft. Anyone could come along and copy that and publish it as a childrens' book. It is lovely, and certainly good enough to make into a book, I think.

#324416 - Fri Sep 29 2006 04:59 AM Re: Need help with a little story
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I, too, like that Lothruin! How perfectly genuine and right to read ! I didn't have my "Literary Glasses" on yet but I think they weren't needed. Stories like that mean to sound how they're meant and just mean what they say. Your oak trees do both of those things quite nicely! Very nice, for sure.

#324417 - Fri Sep 29 2006 07:24 AM Re: Need help with a little story
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Thank you so much, Ren and Gatsby.

Ren, Now that it's here, I don't know how I'd go about protecting it except either publishing it on MY website and posting a link, or simply removing it after this afternoon, by which time I will no longer need advice on it, since I'll have to have my project finished. Which would you suggest?

(I've had artwork stolen off my website before, and had items with my artwork on them sold by someone else with a made up story about how her husband had drawn them. And once bitten, twice shy, for certain, but artwork is easier to protect than a story. Can't watermark the story. I don't have any designs on publishing the story, but one never knows, and I certainly don't want anyone ELSE to publish it! I suspect that the safest thing to do would be just to remove it once it is no longer a timely item...)

#324418 - Fri Sep 29 2006 09:15 AM Re: Need help with a little story
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Yes, I agree. The first thing I thought of.

#324419 - Fri Sep 29 2006 01:54 PM Re: Need help with a little story
Copago Offline

When I meant steal it I meant the concept, not the story, so you've no worries there - if I ever got around to doing something like that I'd probably use an animal. I do a lot of scrapbooking these days and it's all in chronological order but it would be great to do an album with a page a year or something to show how something is growing.

Just back to the handwriting, you could always print somethign out and use vellum and trace over it if you wanted the neatness.

#324420 - Fri Sep 29 2006 10:33 PM Re: Need help with a little story
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

I figured you meant the idea, Copago, though I wouldn't mind someone using the story if they asked. But yes, I think it'll be a great little accompaniment to the trees we'll be planting, and Katherine is just the right age to be able to help.

I've got your typical "here's my baby, see how she's growing" milestones scrapbook, as well as a couple of specific ones for a particularly jam-packed season or two, but one of my other ideas is working out brilliantly, too. I've been making a charm bracelet for Katherine, buying a charm for every state she visits, as well as charms from tourist attractions, or to signify certain events, etc. I've always loved that quaint, little custom, though it's become more difficult since Italian charms have made such a splash. I've taken it a step further, though, keeping a scrapbook with a page or two per charm, with a picture of the charm itself, and then photos and journaling about where the charm came from. Her little Indianapolis Motor Speedway charm page has pictures of the speedway, her sitting in a race car in the museum, and the tickets from our one-lap bus tour... that sort of thing. Especially since a few of the charms were aquired before she was old enough to really remember the events, I think this will be a great partner to her charm bracelet.

#324421 - Sat Sep 30 2006 05:49 AM Re: Need help with a little story
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Edit it out of your post and make a note to say why and that we know about it - we normally ask that member don't edit posts which will then make a nonsense of following posts but in this instance I think it wise.

Edited to add that I see you have pe-empted me, very sensible.

Edited by sue943 (Sat Sep 30 2006 05:50 AM)

#324422 - Sat Sep 30 2006 09:00 AM Re: Need help with a little story
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Sorry, Sue, that was naughty of me. I should have shot off a short message to you before doing it. I actually DO know better than that.

#324423 - Sat Sep 30 2006 09:08 AM Re: Need help with a little story
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I wouldn't expect you to hang about until I was back online, it is much better that you removed it as soon as possible.

#324424 - Fri Oct 13 2006 08:46 AM Re: Need help with a little story
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Lothruin I would like to know what your Dad thought of your book and also how it turned out? Please let us know

#324425 - Fri Oct 13 2006 02:21 PM Re: Need help with a little story
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Oh yes, sorry... He liked it, I think. He's kind of a silly man, and now that his girls are adults, he isn't as comfortable being emotional around us. So, he read the story and by the time he got to the end he was blinking a lot and his eyes were getting a little red, but I'd made a small miscalculation, as I didn't know some of my parents' friends were also going to be at dinner... Anyway, I'm pretty sure he was trying not to cry. So he finished, gave me a goofy grin and said "Thanks, Mel" and then promptly started reading it outloud to my daughter, who was sitting next to him. lol But he put the book up open on the table so no one could see his face while he read to her... he thought he was being sneaky. But, the only way I'm ever REALLY sure if my dad likes a gift is by asking my mom later, and she said he liked it, so overall I think it went over OK.

I didn't get any pictures of the finished book before giving it to my dad, but I was going to ask my mom to take a few pics of one or two of my favorite pages, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

#324426 - Sat Oct 14 2006 02:18 AM Re: Need help with a little story
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Thats great Lothruin Im glad he liked it. Reading your description of your dad reading it almost brought tears to my eyes. Still think it was a great gift.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943