Quote:

October trivia rounds
Mondays - Gatsby and Wdwfla
Tuesdays - Me and Srini
Wednesdays - Kuu and Polaris
Thursdays - Ren and MaggieG
Fridays - Denni and Howie
Saturdays - Mugaboo and CinnamOm

Each day (hopefully ) the host of the day posts 5 questions. We then PM (Private Message) our answers to the host of the day. The rounds are open for at least 48 hours. Enjoy

#324656 - Sun Oct 01 2006 05:48 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
An early Round 2 Monday

'Just some stuff that passed through my head the past week or so is the -ahem- theme. In other words, I don't have a theme ...'

1. In researching my newest quiz (loosely tied together by the perils of, of all people, 'Snow White') I learned that 6 men lent their voices to the dwarfs in 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Please give me one of those men's names. Note: this question also serves as a shameless plug for my new quiz, too .
2. It being October and all I got to thinking about spooky stories of my youth. My pick of them was the one about ol' Ichabod Crane. In 1820 Washington Irving released the book "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories: Or, the Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent." I'm looking for a story/chapter in that collection that begins with that useful word 'The'.
3. A buddy and I were talking about an old one-hit (mostly) wonder band we'd almost forgotten about last week called 'Kajagoogoo'. They released an album "White Feathers" in 1983. Tell me a track from it, OK?
4. A local TV station was running some old moments from the 60's TV show "Lost in Space" last Thursday [I couldn't get enough of it the first time around and still can't, I discovered]. Danger, Will Robinson! ~ I'm needing the episode title from that series from 1965 -or- 1966 that had the word "Space" in it.
5. Just yesterday my AOL Welcome Screen led me to an interview with a survivor of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 that crashed in South America in October 1973. You may remember the ordeal? They made a movie about it (let's just say the menu wasn't the most appetizing subject, among others, those poor folks endured ). To finish, please give me the name of one of the survivors of that flight back then (there are 16 to pick from).

That's it for this Monday! We'll close up Thursday late-ish [or until answers stop coming in for a day - adequate notice will be given]. If any helpful nudges are required, feel free to reach me!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Oct 01 2006 05:51 PM)

#324657 - Tue Oct 03 2006 01:29 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Tuesday 2nd October

1. Something you would see at a swimming pool
2. A subject taught at school
3. Something you associate with Winter time
4. One of Pooh Bear’s friends in Hundred Acre wood
5. A colour of the rainbow

#324658 - Wed Oct 04 2006 01:10 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Virginia USA
Round 4 questions

1. An actor/actress credited as 'Russian rocket crew' in Spies Like Us (1985).

2. A country where you can find Johnny Rockets restaurants.

3. A baseball team which Roger "The Rocket" Clemens has played for.

4. A character with a first and last name, in the credits from the movie October Sky (1999), which is based on the book Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam.

5. A song from the Bottle Rockets CD, Songs of Sahm.

#324659 - Wed Oct 04 2006 08:01 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Thursday 5th Oct
October eh?
Time flies.
1. There are several days in October when you might send a card. From here , name one day this month(scroll down on the right for the card sending possiblilities).
2.On 5th Oct 2006, The Snow Board Club of UK are holding an Academy. I shall not be there this year. Name another snow or ice based sport.
3. The date that is most commonly referred to as the beginning of the ‘Troubles’ is October 5th 1968. On this day the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association had intended to march from Duke Street in Derry’s Waterside to the city centre. As the march assembled the Royal Ulster Constabulary attacked the demonstrators in full view of the world’s media. Within hours of the event pictures of police brutality were transmitted around the globe.Name one of the 6 counties of Northern Ireland.
4. 5th Oct 1969
In Britain, BBC TV screens the first 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' comedy programme which soon becomes an international success.
Find the sketch which deals with the Whizzo Quality Assortment of chocolates(The Crunchy Frog Sketch, my true favourite) Name an ingredient from that selection of chocs.
Crunchy Frog Sketch
5 On Oct 5th 1917
In Britain, Sir Arthur Lee donates Chequers in Buckinghamshire to the nation as a permanent country retreat for British prime ministers.
Name a British prime minister from the 1920-50 era.

And that's it. Not too inspired this time... but I will send the cavalry if anyone is needing them (not the Mounties though, they are all MINE!)

#324660 - Thu Oct 05 2006 04:02 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 2 will be a 'wrap' in 8 hours or so. After that, the band charges overtime...

#324661 - Thu Oct 05 2006 10:10 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 3 closes tomorrow

#324662 - Thu Oct 05 2006 03:45 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 2
10 wonderful players !

1. In researching my newest quiz (loosely tied together by the perils of, of all people, 'Snow White') I learned that 6 men lent their voices to the dwarfs in 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Please give me one of those men's names.

For 10 points:
Scotty Mattraw (Bashful), Roy Atwell (Doc).
For 5 points:
Billy Gilbert (Sneezy) (3), Pinto Colvig (Grumpy -and- Sleepy) (3), Otis Harlan (Happy) (2).

No one mentioned Eddie Collins who voiced 'Dopey'.

2. It being October and all I got to thinking about spooky stories of my youth. My pick of them was the one about ol' Ichabod Crane. In 1820 Washington Irving released the book "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories: Or, the Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent." I'm looking for a story/chapter in that collection that begins with that useful word 'The'.

For 10 points:
The Art of Bookmaking, The Broken Heart, The Pride of the Village, The Inn Kitchen, The Angler.
For 5 points:
The Mutability of Literature (3), The Stage Coach (2).

3. A buddy and I were talking about an old one-hit (mostly) wonder band we'd almost forgotten about last week called 'Kajagoogoo'. They released an album "White Feathers" in 1983. Tell me a track from it, OK?

For 10 points:
Ooh to be Ah, White Feathers, Too Shy, Lies and Promises.
For 5 points:
Hang On Now (2), This Car is Fast (2), Ergonomics (2).

4. A local TV station was running some old moments from the 60's TV show "Lost in Space" last Thursday [I couldn't get enough of it the first time around and still can't, I discovered]. Danger, Will Robinson! ~ I'm needing the episode title from that series from 1965 -or- 1966 that had the word "Space" in it.

For 10 points:
"The Space Croppers" (3/30/66), "Return from Outer Space" (12-29-65), "The Prisoners of Space" (10-19-66), "The Space Trader" (3-9-66).
For 5 points:
"Ghost in Space" (2-2-66) (2), "Space Circus" (10-12-66) (2), "The Thief from Outer Space" (11-9-66) (2).

5. Just yesterday my AOL Welcome Screen led me to an interview with a survivor of Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 that crashed in South America in October 1973. You may remember the ordeal? They made a movie about it (let's just say the menu wasn't the most appetizing subject, among others, those poor folks endured ). To finish, please give me the name of one of the survivors of that flight back then (there are 16 to pick from).

For 10 points:
Antonio "Tintin" Kizintin, age 19; Alvaro Mangino, 19; Javier Methol, 33; Carlos Carlitos Páez, 18; Adolfo "Fito" Strauch, 24.
For 5 points:
Roberto Cannessa, 19 (3); Eduardo Strauch, 25 (2).

The Results!

glamel...45 points!!!
cujimmy, gemini19...40 points!!!
denni19, Engadine, Santana2002...35 points!!!
bethfay, cinnamOn, Mugaboo, ren33...30 points!!!

Well played by everyone! Thank you for your participation and superlative answers. A point for the month to glamel !

#324663 - Thu Oct 05 2006 11:13 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Questions, questions, questions.....well, five of them for Round 6.

1) The 2006 Major League Baseball play-offs have started. Please give me the name of one of the eight teams involved.
2) Please give me the name of a sister city to Miami, USA.
3) Please give me a track off the Elton John album "Jump Up".
4) Please give me the name of one of the 20 National Parks in the British Virgin Islands.
5) Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage site located in Kenya or Tanzania.

Now let the answers come flooding in.

This round will close in the usual number of days for me.

#324664 - Fri Oct 06 2006 01:31 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 3 = closed

#324665 - Fri Oct 06 2006 01:36 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Tuesday 2nd October
1. Something you would see at a swimming pool
For ten points:
A cute lifeguard in dark glasses, Tiles, Pool noodle, Ladder, cement, hair in the shower areas, Safety grips, Life-saver (life-buoy), Lifeguard’s whistle, Wtaer slide, A old sticking plaster,
For Five Points:
Water (2),
Not mentioned:
Children, flip-flops, floats and more

2. A subject taught at school
For ten points:
DT (Design Technology), Physics, Domestic science, Statistics, Commerce, Greek mythology, Japanese, Latin, modern foreign languages, French, Reading, Ancient History, Welsh
For Five Points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
German, Geography, Drama and more

3. Something you associate with Winter time
For ten points:
Hibernation, Bobsledding, Sleet, Icicle, Ear-muffs, winter solstice, hypothermia, Homemade soup, bare trees, Snowmen, Fireplace, Christmas in July, Chilblains,
For Five Points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Snow, Presents, Central heating and more

4. One of Pooh Bear’s friends in Hundred Acre wood
For ten points:
Rabbit, Gopher, Roo, Tigger, Owl, Christopher Robin,
For Five Points:
Eeyore (3), Piglet (2), Kanga (2),
Not mentioned:
Can’t think of anybody!

5. A colour of the rainbow
For ten points:
Green, Blue, Orange,
For Five Points:
Red (6), Yellow (2), Indigo (2),
Not mentioned:
Violet

SCORES - 13 wonderful players
Aginor – 50
Mugaboo – 50
Santana – 50

Denni – 45
Gatsby – 45

Cinnam0n – 40
Cujimmy – 40
Engadine –40
Gemini - 40
Glamel – 40
Maggie – 40
Ren – 40

Beth Fay - 35

Well done to - Aginor, Mugaboo and Santana too!

#324666 - Fri Oct 06 2006 05:29 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Results of Round 5 later today. Roll up roll up!

#324667 - Sat Oct 07 2006 03:15 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
October 7 - Round 7

1. On Sunday Prentiss Barnes of the Moonglows passed away. Give me a record label that the band recorded with.
2. On Monday, model and actress Tamara Dobson died. She appeared in one episode of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century". Please name anyone who appeared in more than 10 episodes.
3. On Tuesday Australian Sprinter Peter Norman died. Select any other finalist of either the men's 100 or 200 meters at the 1968 Olympic games in Mexico City.
4. On Wednesday actor Tom Bell died aged 73. Give me any Movie (not made of TV) that he appeared in.
5. On Thursday it was the turn of George King, he was head coach of the Purdue Boilermakers from 1965-1972. Give the name of a player who is on the current men's college basketball roster.

Before you decide to join any of the above, PM me, and I'll give you a link or five. Round closes Thursday.

#324668 - Sat Oct 07 2006 04:31 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
ren33 Online   FT-cool

5th October results
There were Nine Entrants for this. A close result .
1. There are several days in October when you might send a card. From here , name one day this month(scroll down on the right for the card sending possiblilities).
10 points
Friday 13th, Sweetest Day,Samhain,UN Day, Boss Day, Diwali
5 points
German Reunification Day, (3),
2.On 5th Oct 2006, The Snow Board Club of UK are holding an Academy. I shall not be there this year. Name another snow or ice based sport.
10 points
Bobsledding,Curling,Sledge hockey,Nordic Skiing, Pulka,Ice climbing,Ice fishing,
5 points
Dogsledding(2)

3. The date that is most commonly referred to as the beginning of the ‘Troubles’ is October 5th 1968. On this day the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association had intended to march from Duke Street in Derry’s Waterside to the city centre. As the march assembled the Royal Ulster Constabulary attacked the demonstrators in full view of the world’s media. Within hours of the event pictures of police brutality were transmitted around the globe.Name one of the 6 counties of Northern Ireland.
10 points
County Armagh, County Fermanagh
5 points
County Down(2),County Tyrone (3),County Antrim(2)
4. 5th Oct 1969
In Britain, BBC TV screens the first 'Monty Python's Flying Circus' comedy programme which soon becomes an international success.
Find the sketch which deals with the Whizzo Quality Assortment of chocolates(The Crunchy Frog Sketch, my true favourite) Name an ingredient from that selection of chocs.
Crunchy Frog Sketch
10 points
Lark's Vomit, Cockroach,
5 points
Glucose(3),Ram's Bladder (2), Anthrax Ripple (pause for hysterical giggle (again) (2)
5 On Oct 5th 1917
In Britain, Sir Arthur Lee donates Chequers in Buckinghamshire to the nation as a permanent country retreat for British prime ministers.
Name a British prime minister from the 1920-50 era.
10 points
Clement Attlee
5 points
Ramsay MacDonald( 4),Stanley Baldwin(2), Bonar Law(2)
SO....
The Winner , with 40 points is....Santana!!
Next with 35 Glamel,Gatsby,Cujimmy,Bethfay,Denny,Howie,Mugaboo
and with 30 (so close)Engadine. Well done all you clever people. Extra well done *Santana*

#324669 - Mon Oct 09 2006 08:45 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Last call for Round 4.

#324670 - Mon Oct 09 2006 01:45 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Beresford, SD, USA
Round 9

My week again so soon? I'm in a bit of a hurry so you will have to keep up. I've been a bit preoccupied with research about one of my favorite places in the world. The ocean.

1.The ocean is home to many cetaceans.There are over 80 different species but you only have to name one.

2. The deepest parts of the ocean floor are trenches. Name a major oceanic trench.

3. You can't mention the ocean without thinking of surfing. The North Shore of Hawaii has several famous surfing areas. Name one.

4. Name a notable marine biologist.

5. Coral reefs are home to a large variety of sea life. Tell me a fish that calls the reef home.

This round will close on Saturday.

#324671 - Mon Oct 09 2006 11:38 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Round 10: Tuesday, October 10

I was holidaying the last 2 weeks, so this round's theme will be on India tourism

1. I was in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a group of islands off the south-east coast of India. The islands are home to some of the rarest and primitive tribes of the world (so much so that even taking a photograph of them is prohibited these days). Name a tribe from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

2. India has some fantastic hill resorts for a cool retreat. Far too many of these wonderful stations all over India, so just name a hill resort in either Himachal Pradesh (in North India) or Tamil Nadu (in the South).

3. From the hills to the beaches. Goa has some of the most beautiful beaches seen anywhere in the world. Name a beach of Goa.

4. India has an incredible array of wildlife and is a virtual paradise for a lover of nature. There are over 300 wildlife sanctuaries in India, but I am looking for the name of a Tiger Reserve in India.

5. With sincere apologies to Howie for encroaching into one domain of his, name a UNESCO world heritage site located in India. I hope Howie won't mind

The round stays open till Friday evening, India time and I hope to see many enthusiastic responses this time too .

--Srini701

PS: Along with your answers, please also let me know if you think this "India-centric" theme is too "one-way traffic" and if you would like me to branch out to other themes. I still have some India based questions up my sleeve.

#324672 - Tue Oct 10 2006 01:16 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Sincere apologies. For question 1, it should be "Hill station" NOT "resort".

I am just looking at the name of a place/station, not a specific hotel or resort.

--srini

#324673 - Tue Oct 10 2006 01:27 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Damn it....I am being really stupid now

The Hill stations is Question 2 and not question 1

So this makes it a post-post script correction

#324674 - Tue Oct 10 2006 08:18 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Polaris101 Offline
Multiloquent

Round 4 results - 14 players

Q1. An actor/actress credited as 'Russian rocket crew' in Spies Like Us (1985).

10 points: Sergei Rousakov

5 points: Vanessa Angel (6), Garrick Dombrovski (3), Svetlana Plotnikova (2), Bjarne Thomsen (2)

Q2. A country where you can find Johnny Rockets restaurants.

10 points: Bahrain, Bahamas, Canada

5 points: USA (2), Qatar (2), Mexico (3), Dubai, United Arab Emirates (2), Kuwait (2)

Q3. A baseball team which Roger "The Rocket" Clemens has played for.

10 points: Round Rock Express

5 points: Toronto Blue Jays (3), San Jacinto College North (2), Houston Astros (4), Boston Red Sox (4)

not mentioned: University of Texas, New York Yankees

Q4. A character with a first and last name, in the credits from the movie October Sky (1999), which is based on the book Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam.

10 points: Jack Palmer, Homer Hickam, Roy Lee Cook, Elsie Hickam, John Hickam

5 points: Leon Bolden (2), Jake Mosby (3), Sherman O'Dell (2), Ike Bykovsky (2)

not mentioned: Frieda Riley, Quentin Wilson, Jim Hickam, Dorothy Platt, Valentine Carmina, Basil Thorpe, Fred Smith, Tom Webster, Wernher von Braun

Q5. A track from the Bottle Rockets CD, Songs of Sahm.

10 points: Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day, You Can't Hide a Redneck (Under that Hippy Hair), Floatway, Be Real, I Don't Want to Go Home, Lawd, I'm Just a Country Boy in this Great Big Freaky City

5 points: At the Crossroads (2), She's About a Mover (3), Stoned Faces Don't Lie (3)

not mentioned: Mendocino, Nitty Gritty, Song of Everything, I'm Not that Kat Anymore

SCORES

40 - Bethfay
35 - Glamel, Jimjih, Gemini, Howie
30 - Denni, Ren, Mugaboo, Physalius, MaggieG
25 - Gatsby, Engadine, Cujimmy, Srini

Congratulations to the winner, Bethfay.

#324675 - Wed Oct 11 2006 09:27 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
Sorry I haven't posted my round.

There is a bushfire burning not far from our house and I am just waiting for my children (and pets) to be picked up by their great-aunt. I don't think our house is in any danger as there are 5 firecrews and a helicopter fighting the fire.

After my kids leave I will join my husband outside in case we have to put out any small fires stated in our yard ny embers. We already have plenty of buckets and pots of water, wet mops etc ready. The smoke is thick but we don't think that oyr house in in danger. I am just posting to settle my nerves because I hate waiting.

I will try and post my round tomorrow.

#324676 - Wed Oct 11 2006 11:34 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Huh!! Some people would do anything to get out of setting their quiz!!
No, only joking Kuu. You just stay safe. A quiz means nothing beside your health and safety and that of your family too.

#324677 - Thu Oct 12 2006 02:34 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Saty safe Kuu. Funtrivia will be here when you're ready

#324678 - Thu Oct 12 2006 04:36 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Yep. Take care, Kuu and stay safe and cool.

Last 24 hours for Round 10 and still waiting to hear from a couple of regulars, including Howie, Maggie and Aginor...

--srini

#324679 - Thu Oct 12 2006 11:07 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 7 - 9 played

1.On Sunday Prentiss Barnes of the Moonglows passed away. Give me a record label that the band recorded with.
For 10 points: Chess Records; Times Square Records
For 5 points: Champagne Records [3]; Chance Records [2]; Lana Records [2]
Not mentioned: All Platinum; Big P; Crimson; Monogram; RCA; Relic; Robin Hood; Skylark

2. On Monday, model and actress Tamara Dobson died. She appeared in one episode of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century". Please name anyone who appeared in more than 10 episodes.
For 10 points: Mel Blanc; Thom Christopher; Jay Garner; Eric Server
For 5 points: Tim O'Connor [3]; Wilfred Hyde-White [2]
Not mentioned: William Conrad; Jeff David; Gil Gerard; Erin Gray; Felix Silla

3. On Tuesday Australian Sprinter Peter Norman died. Select any other finalist of either the men's 100 or 200 meters at the 1968 Olympic games in Mexico City.
For 10 points: Tommie Smith; Melvin Pender; Harry Jerome; Edwin Roberts; Michael Fray
For 5 points: Charles Green [2]; John Carlos [2]
Not mentioned include: Roger Bambuck (France) who was the only person to run in both.

4. On Wednesday actor Tom Bell died aged 73. Give me any Movie (not made of TV) that he appeared in.
For 10 points: The Boxer; The Last Minute; All the Right Noises; Let Him Have It; Royal Flash; The Spy's Wife; Summer Lightning
For 5 points: He Who Rides a Tiger [2]
Not mentioned include: The Krays

5. On Thursday it was the turn of George King, he was head coach of the Purdue Boilermakers from 1965-1972. Give the name of a player who is on the current men's college basketball roster.
For 10 points: Terrance Crump; Marcus Green; Carl Landry; Geno Parker
For 5 points: Chris Hartley [3]; Bobby Riddell [2]
Not mentioned: Keaton Grant; Chris Kramer; Chris Lutz; David Teague; Johnathan Uchendu; Dan Vandervieren; Gordon Watt

Scores:
45 points: Bethfay; Cujimmy
40 points: Glamel
35 points: Denni19; Engadine; Gatsby722; Howie72; Ren33
30 points: Srini701

Two winners this round, both of whom get a hearty cheer.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002