Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#324680 - Thu Oct 12 2006 01:04 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Round 6 will be closing in about 6 hours. Anyone else out there?

#324681 - Thu Oct 12 2006 02:50 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
A very early Friday round....

Round 13 (my newest lucky number)

I am quite passionate about astrology and horoscopes. So for today i've been thinking a lot about....me

1. I was born in the beautiful spring, under the sign of Taurus. Apart from being an astrological sign, Taurus is also a constellation. It is visible on the night sky between latitudes 90 and -65 degrees, and its brightest star is Aldebaran.

*Please give me the name of another star in the Taurus constellation.

2. In "Harry Potter" books we are advised - Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus or, Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon. I will paraphrase that and say: "Never wave a red cape in front of a Taurus (Bull)", because it might get very nasty. But there are numerous men who actually do that for a living - the bullfighters.

*Give me the name of a French or Portuguese bullfighter.

3. It is said Taureans love good food and wine and they may have to resist the temptation to over indulgence.
In Manchester, UK on Canal Street, we find Taurus Bar & Restaurant . It is a place enjoyed by all ages, genders and orientations; a melting pot of those who share a mind set. Relaxed atmosphere and a place to converse. Excellent food & drink. Now, the temptation is very big but I am having some trouble deciding, so you will have to come to my rescue.....

*Pick a wine from their list for me, please!

4. If you didn't know i'll tell you now - the Taurus constellation is occupied by the Sun from April 21 to May 20. People born between these dates are Taureans. I am honoured to share the same sign with many great, exceptional persons. So please do some searching and.....

*Come up with a Taurean actor or actress.

5. Finally, after this huge effort to 'invent' 5 lousy questions, i need to take some rest. A peaceful and idyllic image comes to mind - lying in the grass under a big shady tree, surrounded by fragrant flowers....day-dreaming - Yes! It's me, Ferdinand the Bull. You know me from that old (1936) book "The Story of Ferdinand".

*Give me the title of another children's book written by my 'daddy' -- Munro Leaf.

[Round will stay open until Sunday October 15th - 21:00 GMT ]

#324682 - Thu Oct 12 2006 04:11 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
I apologise profusely to all those posters whose quizzes I have missed lately, and to those of you who noticed I missed my last Thursday round in September. It's been a difficult few weeks in work and it's made it hard for me to spend as much time as I want to on here. Sorry!
Anyway here I am with a bit of a cop-out round, but with a reasonable range of choices, this could be a high scoring round...

As it's the twelfth, I've scouted about for things that come in twelves...

1)Anthony Powell wrote 'The Dance to the Music of Time', a novel in twelve volumes. Please give me one of the novels which comprise this epic work.

2) Name one of the signs of the Zodiac.

3)Hercules performed twelve labours to atone for killing his wife and children. Name one of them.

4) The twelve tribes of Israel were descended from the sons of Jacob, later named Israel. Pease give me the name of one of his sons.

5) One of the all-time great films was 12 Angry Men starring Henry Fonda in one of his most memorable roles. Name one of his fellow jurors (actor not character).

Please play to show I'm forgiven!

#324683 - Thu Oct 12 2006 08:56 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

As no one else has entered, I will now close round 6 and proceed with sorting out the results.

#324684 - Thu Oct 12 2006 10:47 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India           
Round 10 also closes in 6 hours. Heard from one of my "regulars", still waiting for Howie .....will he, won't he...will he, won't he...

#324685 - Thu Oct 12 2006 11:09 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

I will get there.

#324686 - Fri Oct 13 2006 01:17 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

There is a delay to the results being posted. I need to hear back from some people so the round is back open. Probably close again sometime in the morning New Zealand time.

#324687 - Fri Oct 13 2006 05:11 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 10 closed....without Howie

I am really sorry, Howie....but I won't be there for the weekend and didn't want to keep the round open longer than today

Results to follow shortly...

#324688 - Fri Oct 13 2006 05:36 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 10 results

10 players for round 10 . Thanks to all who played. I hope you enjoyed the round ;

The theme was inspired by a message from Maggie and I am glad she sent in her entry at the very last hour! I am also sorry I could not really wait for Howie. I am feeling bad for that ;

And now the results:

1. Name a tribe from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

For 10 points: Great Andamanese, Onge
For 5 points: Jarawa (3), Sentinalese (2) and Shompen (3)
Not mentioned: The Nicobarese

2. Name a hill station in either Himachal Pradesh (in North India) or Tamil Nadu (in the South).

For 10 points: Chail; Dalhousie; Kufri; Kodaikanal; Coonoor
For 5 points: Kasauli (3); Kotagiri (2)
Note mentioned: Ooty, Shimla, Manali; Kullu and many more!

3. Name a beach of Goa.

For 10 points: Arambol; Bogmalo; Baga; Candolim; Benaulim; Dona Paula; Keri; Mandrem; Palolem; Vagator
10 points to all!!

4. Name of a Tiger Reserve in India.

For 10 points: Ranthambhore; Kanha; Periyar; Namdapha; Bandipur-Nagarhole; Pench; Tadoba-Andhari; Sariska
For 5 points: Dudhwa (2)

5. Name a UNESCO world heritage site located in India.

For 10 points: Sun Temple, Konârk; Fatehpur Sikri; Humayun's Tomb; Qutb Minar; Mahabodhi Temple; Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka
For 5 points: Kaziranga National Park (2); Elephanta Caves (2)
Not mentioned: Ajanta Caves; Ellora Caves; Taj Mahal; Khajuraho; and many, many more!

And the final scores (pretty close round, I must say)—

50 points: Engadine
45 points: Gatsby; Glamel
40 points: Ren33; Cujimmy; Mugaboo; MaggieG
35 points: Bethfay; JaneMarple; Denni19

One more point for the month to Engadine !

Thanks once again to all you wonderful players...and thanks for encouraging me to keep up with my "India-based" themes. You might see a lot of them in my next few rounds...

--Srini

PS: I observed a very curious trend in my rounds. The very first person who sent the answers for my rounds has won on 3 of the 4 rounds I conducted so far

#324689 - Fri Oct 13 2006 06:15 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
*Jane makes a note to herself, to be the very first person to send answers into to Srini next time *

#324690 - Fri Oct 13 2006 01:44 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

I have closed, I have sorted, I have re-opened, I have re-closed, and now it is time to post the answers to round 6.

We had 9 amazing players this round.

1) The 2006 Major League Baseball play-offs have started. Please give me the name of one of the eight teams involved.
10 Points: Oakland Athletics, Detroit Tigers
5 Points: St. Louis Cardinals (3), New York Mets (2), Minnesota Twins (2)
Not Mentioned: Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres, New York Yankees

2) Please give me the name of a sister city to Miami, USA.
10 Points: Palermo in Italy, Santiago in Chile, Cochabamba in Bolivia, Kagoshima in Japan, Montes de Oca in Costa Rica
5 Points: Kaohsiung City in Taiwan (2), Murcia in Spain (2)
Not Mentioned: Agadir in Morocco, Amman in Jordan, Nice in France, Ramat Hasharon in Israel, Santo Domingo in Dominican Republic, Varna in Bulgaria, Bogotá in Colombia, Buenos Aires in Argentina, Managua in Nicaragua, Cancún in México

3) Please give me a track off the Elton John album "Jump Up".
10 Points: "I Am Your Robot", "Blue Eyes", "Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)", "Princess", "All Quiet On The Western Front"
5 Points: "Legal Boys" (2), "Where Have All The Good Times Gone?" (2)
Not Mentioned: "Dear John", "Spiteful Child", "Ball & Chain"

4) Please give me the name of one of the 20 National Parks in the British Virgin Islands.
10 Points: Diamond Cay, Little Tobago/Great Tobago, Rhone Marine (Wreck of the Rhone), The Baths, Little Fort National Park, Gorda Peak, Spring Bay
5 Points: Fallen Jerusalem (2)
Not Mentioned: Dead Chest, West Dog, Cam Bay, Prickly Pear, J.R. O'Neal Botanic Gardens, Mount Healthy, The Queen Elizabeth II Park, Sage Mountain National Park, Shark Bay at Brewer's Bay, Devil's Bay, The Coppermine

5) Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage site located in Kenya or Tanzania.
10 Points: Ngorongoro Conservation Area in Tanzania, Stone Town of Zanzibar in Tanzania, Kondoa Rock-Art Sites in Tanzania
5 Points: Lamu Old Town in Kenya (2), Serengeti National Park in Tanzania (2), Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania (2)
Not Mentioned: Lake Turkana National Parks in Kenya, Mount Kenya National Park/Natural Forest in Kenya, Ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Ruins of Songo Mnara in Tanzania, Kilimanjaro National Park in Tanzania

Just a few of observations today:
1) Four of the five baseball teams selected are still involved in the play-offs. What were those that picked the Minnesota Twins thinking of?
2) The cities of Miami and Miami Beach can be a bit confusing for some
3) "Dear John", "Spiteful Child", "Ball & Chain" were the songs not picked but I will observe no further here.
4) Generally, you made it quite difficult to make observations as answers were reasonably varied.
5) It is now time for breakfast.

But before I go, I must remember to include the final results:

45 points - Glamel and Maggie
40 points - Denni and Mugaboo
35 points - Bethfay, Engadine, and Gemini
30 points - Gatsby, and Srini

Congratulations to Glamel and Maggie, your prize is an October point.

One more observation before I go, it seems as though Ren has sent too many envelopes. She needs to gather more bribery items......oooops, I mean gifts.

#324691 - Fri Oct 13 2006 02:22 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

**Howie, i am suitably ashamed of myself for that "Miami" illiteracy . I promise that by next Friday i'll learn the entire "Geography of the many United States" by heart **

#324692 - Fri Oct 13 2006 06:59 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Denni, You're not the only one who doesn't know the difference between the "two Miamis"

Oh, I almost forgot --- GO CARDS!!!

BEAT THE POND SCUM METS!

Edited by bethfay (Fri Oct 13 2006 07:50 PM)

#324693 - Sat Oct 14 2006 02:06 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

**Thanks bethfay! **

Round 13 closes in 24 hours from....NOW!
Now, don't be shy folks! I've tranquilized the bulls so nothing's gonna hurt you.

#324694 - Sat Oct 14 2006 06:14 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Quote:

Oh, I almost forgot --- GO CARDS!!!

Noting BethFay's from St Louis I just wanted to say, nothing to do with anything, but, my first stop in the US (after LA Airport) was St Louis . . . crikey those Cardinals (the actual birds) are cute little devils!

#324695 - Sat Oct 14 2006 09:42 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
A very, very late round 11.

Sorry about being so late. Because of all the smoke from the fires my eyes were stinging to much on Friday and Saturday to cope with the computer.

I could have kicked myself for not thinking of getting my camera out and taking some photos of the fire.

Any here are my questions.

Quote:

1) Give me the name of any Giant Panda who is currently living in a zoo outside of China.
2) Give my the name of one of the atolls that make up the Maldives.
3) Give me a species of toucan
4) Give me that date and location of one of the 10 worst plane crashes of all time.
5) Give me the name of an Australian who has won a Nobel Prize

#324696 - Sat Oct 14 2006 09:42 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Beresford, SD, USA
I apologize for being a bit behind in posting the results of my round. It will be up by morning.

#324697 - Sun Oct 15 2006 07:52 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Well...it's almost Monday somewhere so here for your early viewing pleasure :

Round 16 - Monday

Hello there ! I found myself in a bit of a predicament this time - I had three questions and no theme (and that seemed inapropriate for such urgent matters as these). But how do I tie frisky monarchs, uppity colleges and a few belts of gin together? Hmmm. Then, of course, the obvious glue to my puzzled assembly found me. Who else but yet another of my favorite actresses of all time ~ the theme is -poof- Miss Katharine Hepburn!

1.) Kate won an Oscar for her stirring portrayal of Queen Eleanor in "A Lion In Winter" (1968) - a Queen twice, no less (married and divorced to Louis VII of France and then in quite a mixed-up mess with that rascal Henry II). In the midst of much chaos and assorted not-so-nice varieties of things, Eleanor managed to give birth to a total of ten children. I'm just needing the name of one of her sons or daughters, please.
2.) Women of breeding, good taste and a fierce desire for knowledge/independence have been known to attend one of "The Seven Sisters", a group of liberal arts women's colleges. Hepburn was an alumnus of Bryn Mawr but there are six more of "The Seven Sisters" universities. Pick one, if you would.
3.) Katharine was at her best in the film "The African Queen" (1951) and being a prim and proper missionary stuck on a boat in wartime Africa with the unyieldingly annoyed (and mostly annoying) Charlie Allnut turned into one of the most unlikely but endearing film romances in history. While she had no business with any of this refreshment, Charlie liked his gin. His travelling companion, in a bible-thumping snit, poured it out piously . Too bad, really. According to "Cocktail Times" there are 23 Most Popular mixed drinks that can be made using gin. Select one of those....[you may find two lists there - pick from the "Popular" list and not the "Classical" one].
4.) Hepburn did an early film called "Alice Adams" in 1935. The critics loved it and loved her performance, too. The novel the film was based on was written by Booth Tarkington, who had a good body of work. Name another novel by Booth that has a man or woman's FIRST name in its title, OK? Note: if it has a first and surname in it, that'll work, too.
5.) Kate was nominated for a whopping 12 Academy Awards as Best Actress and won four of them (none of which she picked up in person, by the way). This time I need a character's name Hepburn was nominated for playing (but failed to win the Oscar for playing her), which means there are eight characters from which to choose.

This'll close up come Thursday sometime. Need help with any of it, don't hesitate to knock.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Oct 15 2006 01:39 PM)

#324698 - Sun Oct 15 2006 10:49 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
wdwfla Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Beresford, SD, USA
Round 9 Results
12 players this round!

1.The ocean is home to many cetaceans.There are over 80 different species but you only have to name one.
10 Points - Dall's Porpoise, Finless Porpoise, Burmeister's Porpoise, True's Beaked Whale, Southern Right Whale, Indian Humpback Dolphin, Minke Whale, Short Beaked Common Dolphin, Hector's Beaked Whale
5 Points - Hector's Dolphin

2. The deepest parts of the ocean floor are trenches. Name a major oceanic trench.
10 Points - Peru-Chili Trench, Bougainville Trench, Ryukyu Trench, Puerto Rico Trench, Marianas Trench, Milwaukee Deep Trench
5 Points - Souch Sandwich Trench, Kuril Kamchatka Trench

3. You can't mention the ocean without thinking of surfing. The North Shore of Hawaii has several famous surfing areas. Name one.
10 Points - Ke Wa'ena Beach, Ho'okipa Beach, Waimea Bay, Maui, Waimea Beach Park, Pupukea Beach, Kammieland
5 Points - Velzyland, Rocky Point

4. Name a notable marine biologist.
10 Points - Anton Dohrn, Georg Sars, Charles Wyville Thompson, John Heyning, Ruth Turner, Anton Dohm, Jacques Costeau, Bruno Hofer, Carl Chun, Michael Sars
5 Points - Emperor Hirohito

5. Coral reefs are home to a large variety of sea life. Tell me a fish that calls the reef home.
10 Points - Scorpion Fish, Red-Throat Emperor, Dog Snapper, Gray Angelfish, Marbled Parrotfish, Yellowbelly Hamlet, Damselfishes, Manta Rays, Red-Striped Cardinal, Masked Angelfish
5 Points - Clownfish

50 Points - Gatsby722
45 Points - cujimmy, bethfay, engadine, glamel, ren 33
40 Points - maggieG, JaneMarple, howie72, mugaboo, srini701, denni19

Thank you to everyone who played. And a big congratulations to Gatsby722

#324699 - Sun Oct 15 2006 04:30 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 13 is closed.

Results will be posted as soon as i'm done with them.

#324700 - Sun Oct 15 2006 08:37 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for Round 13

11 great players for this round - I thank you all!

The 5 questions were (I’m not repeating their 'story'):

1. Please give me the name of another star in the Taurus constellation.

For 10 points: Iota Tauri, Lambda Tauri A, 134 Tauri, Maia, Elnath, Upsilon Tauri, Beta Tauri, Nu Tauri, Merope

For 5 points: Lambda Tauri (2)

Not mentioned: Alcyone, Zeta Tauri, Electra, Pleione and some 100 other.

2. Give me the name of a French or Portuguese bullfighter.

For 10 points: Luis Rouxinol, Pedrito de Portugal, Joao Moura, Paulo Caetano, António Ribeiro Telles, Jean Baptiste Jalabert, Jose Rosa Rodrigues, Jonathan Veyrunes, Rui Salvador, Joao Salgueiro, Jose Falcon

10 points all! – Great job!

3. Taurus Bar & Restaurant - Pick a wine from their list for me, please!

For 10 points: Rioja Blanco, Pedrito de Portugal, McGuigan Estates Black Label, Domaine de la Garelle, Toro 3T, Finca de Altura, Stringy Bark Creek, Spring Bank, River Gum

For 5 points: Santa Regina (2)

Not mentioned: Vistamar, Clear Mountain, Stonefish, Reserva Valderba, Jack Rabbit.

4. Come up with a Taurean actor or actress.

For 10 points: Cloris Leachman, Annette Benning, Gary Cooper, Doug McClure, Rudolph Valentino, Shirley Temple Black, Cameron Bancroft, Kate Mulgrew, Celeste Holm

For 5 points: Pierce Brosnan (2)

Not mentioned: Al Pacino, Fred Astaire, John Wayne, Jack Nicholson, Shirly MacLaine, Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, George Clooney, Uma Thurman and many others.

5. Give me the title of another children's book written by -- Munro Leaf.

For 10 points: The Story of Simpson and Sampson, Science Can Be Fun, Three Promises to You, How to Speak Politely and Why, Arithmetic Can Be Fun, Reading Can Be Fun, Geography Can Be Fun

For 5 points: Gordon the Goat (2), Boo, Who Used to Be Scared of the Dark (2)

Not mentioned: Fair Play, A War-Time Handbook for Young Americans, Sam and the Superdroop, Who Cares? I Do and a few other more.

And the results are......

50 points: aginor, cujimmy, Engadine, Gatsby, Howie

Well done!

45 points: bethfay, Jane, Maggie, ren

40 points: srini

30 points: Mugaboo

Congratulations to all and whoever does the monthly score, please add 1 point to our winners.

#324701 - Mon Oct 16 2006 01:48 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
I've often wondered (of late, due to memory loss I'm sure . . . ) where the monthly points score is kept . . .

#324702 - Mon Oct 16 2006 04:50 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cujimmy Offline
Participant

Loc: Widmer End (ha!)
Oh no - these scores are kept?

#324703 - Mon Oct 16 2006 06:04 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
They are kept in my computer But at the moment my computer tower is having a health check so using Mums

#324704 - Mon Oct 16 2006 04:52 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 14 is coming up soon - my internet connection has been a little sketchy all weekend, but seems to be ok now.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002