Terms of Use

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#324730 - Tue Oct 24 2006 05:55 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Hey ! I didn't get a score, even a bad one, on Round 19! I know I played it. Just wondering...

#324731 - Tue Oct 24 2006 06:09 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, Gats my dear I am so, so sorry!! Of course I did your score ( I have amended the result as above. I omitted you because ,originally, you and Jane had the top place, then Howie came in at the last minute and knocked you off there, I didn't put you back in . Forgiven? (Blame Howie).

#324732 - Tue Oct 24 2006 06:22 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Well...I didn't want a good score or anything. Just a score.
And as for that Howie ! Can't take him anywhere, can ya?
All's well. I was just curious.

#324733 - Wed Oct 25 2006 03:41 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Did I hear my name being mentioned?

I did.....hmmmmmmmm, I see, blame the Kiwi.

As for that Curious Gatsby, I wonder how he will fare in round 20 or will he be forgotten again?

#324734 - Wed Oct 25 2006 08:25 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Well, for Heaven's sake! I'm on the horns of yet another dilemma , it seems. Srini - would you please write to me via PM (just say hi or something so I can read it and reply) so I can answer your Round? I can't start a new PM today to anyone but can respond. Quite perplexing indeed. Oh, and Jane - you, too, if you would.
Thanks all.

#324735 - Wed Oct 25 2006 11:15 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 21 will close in 23 hours.
Last calls please

#324736 - Wed Oct 25 2006 10:03 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Not only is Mugaboo's round closing soon but round 20 is also drawing to a close--sometime in the next 21 hours.

#324737 - Wed Oct 25 2006 10:39 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
And last 24 hours for Round 24 too.

Have a few entries, but again, some regulars missing

#324738 - Thu Oct 26 2006 06:18 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
Round 25 questions

Quote:

1) Name an actor (or actress) That starred in the movie "The Cave of the Yellow Dog"
2) The country of Andorra is divided into 7 parishes (parroquies). Name one of the parishes,
3) Name a famous woman called Nancy (no fictional characters)
4) Give me a four letter word that begina with Z
5) Australia Post has recently released a stamp series called "Australia - 50 Years of Television". Name one TV show that is represented on the stamps.

#324739 - Thu Oct 26 2006 10:28 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Quote:

.....hmmmmmmmm, I see, blame the Kiwi.

GOOD IDEA

#324740 - Thu Oct 26 2006 11:16 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 21 - 8 played

1. Name an Actor who appeared in "Zulu" (1964)
For 10 points: James Booth, Glyn Edwards, Denys Graham, Kerry Jordan, Neil McCarthy, Joe Mafela
For 5 points: Patrick Magee [2]
Not mentioned include: Stanley Baker, Jack Hawkins, Michael Caine, Gert Van den Bergh

2. Name a 19th century battle involving the Zulus
For 10 points: Magango (1840); Ndondakusuka (1856); Isandlwana (1879); Rorke's Drift (1879); Gingindlovu (1879); Eshowe (1879)
For 5 points: Battle of Kambula (1879) [2]
Not mentioned include: Gqokli Hill (1819); Mhlatuze River (1820); Italeni (1838); Blood River (1838); Intombe (1879); Hlobane (1879); Ulundi (1879)

3. Other than a battle site, give me a tourist attraction in KwaZulu-Natal
For 10 points: Ashtonvale guest farm; Dolphin Coast; Drakensberg mountains; Fitzsimons snake park; Greater St. Lucia Wetlands; Hluhluwe-Imfolzi game reserve; Mahatma Gandhi statue; Maputaland marine reserve
For 5 points: (None)
Not mentioned include: Tembe Elephant park; Green Point Beach; Tatham Art Gallery

4. Give me one of South Africa's 11 official languages
For 10 points: IsiNdebele, IsiXhosa, Northern Sotho
For 5 points: SeTswana [3]; TshiVenda [2]
Not mentioned: Afrikaans, English, IsiZulu, SiSwati, XiTsonga, Sesotho

5. Take the letters of "ZULU", convert to Morse Code, re-arrange the dots and dashes to come up with another word
For 10 points: Banks, Brand, Dreams, Fiery, Lazer, Music, Regents, Talents
For 5 points: (None)
Not mentioned include: Shop, Extras, Farce, Whose, Clear

Scores:
50 points: Bethfay; Howie72; JaneMarple; MaggieG
45 points: Denni19; Glamel
40 points: Srini701;
35 points: Engadine

A very well done to our four winners. Some people loved question 5, for others I was imagining a pile of hair, that had been pulled out in frustration

#324741 - Thu Oct 26 2006 11:49 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Quote:

I was imagining a pile of hair, that had been pulled out in frustration

I had to give up and let my clever Mum find me one!

#324742 - Thu Oct 26 2006 04:40 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Another very early Friday round, but it's already Friday where I am

Round 27 - "Computers and Internet"

1. "Info.cern.ch" was the address of the world's first-ever web site and web server, and the first web page address is WWW - The Project.

**Follow the "People" link and give me the name of someone involved in the project.

2. E-mail spammers are people who send unsolicited electronic messages (for their own or their clients' business) in bulk.

**Give me the name of a notorious e-mail spammer.

3. My favourite Internet 'travel companion' is Google. It is a search engine owned by Google, Inc. whose mission statement is to "organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful". In addition to its main tool for searching webpages, Google also offers many other products.

**Name one of Google's Search Products.

4. The Webby Awards is the leading international award honoring excellence on the Internet. Established in 1996 during the Web's infancy, the Webbys are presented by The International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences.

**Give me the name of a website in any category that was a winner or nominee in 2002.

5. Define your world - Urban Dictionary is a slang dictionary with definitions given by Internet users. On the far right of the yellow alphabetical menu (on top of the page) you will find the word random.

**Click on it and then give me your result - the word and its definition.

Have fun!

#324743 - Thu Oct 26 2006 05:26 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Hey, Denni ... I don't think your website for Question 1 can be right since Al Gore isn't listed there.

(OK, OK, my sense of humor is a little different but I'm making myself laugh something awful right now -- a little US political humor at the expense of our illustrious ex-VP and founder of the WorldWide Web.)

Edited by bethfay (Thu Oct 26 2006 05:27 PM)

#324744 - Thu Oct 26 2006 08:37 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

It looks like I may be able to close round 20 now. If you suddenly see the results then you know I was successful.

#324745 - Thu Oct 26 2006 10:28 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

I was imagining a pile of hair, that had been pulled out in frustration

It'd cost you a fortune to replace the hair I lost . . . could set up a celebrity with wonderful 'extensions' tho' . . . and I came last!?!?! I suck so bad . . .

#324746 - Thu Oct 26 2006 11:04 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

I am pleased to announce the results of round 20.

We had a closely fought round among 11 brilliant players.

1) As I am typing this I am watching New Zealand play Sri Lanka in an ICC Champions Trophy cricket match. Please give me the name of one of the 14 players in the New Zealand squad.
10 Points: Nathan Astle, Hamish Marshall, Brendon McCullum
5 Points: Stephen Fleming (2), Jacob Oram (2), Scott Styris (2), Daniel Vettori (2)
Not Mentioned: Shane Bond, James Franklin, Peter Fulton, Mark Gillespie, Kyle Mills, Jeetan Patel, Lou Vincent

2) The Gilbert Islands are part of Kiribati. PLease give me the name of one of the 11 atolls and 5 islands that make up the Gilbert Islands.
10 Points: Abaiang, Abemama, Maiana, Nonouti, Tamana, Tarawa
5 Points: Marakei (2), Nikunau (3)
Not Mentioned: Aranuka, Arorae, Beru, Butaritari, Kuria, Makin, Onotoa, Tabiteuea

3) Please give me the name of a track off the Fleetwood Mac album "Tango In The Night".
10 Points: "Big Love", "Seven Wonders", "Everywhere", "Mystfied", "Family Man"
5 Points: "Welcome to the Room...Sara" (3), "Isn't It Midnight" (3)
Not Mentioned: "Caroline", "Tango in the Night", "Little Lies", "When I See You Again", "You and I, Part II"

4) The 2006 New Zealand Music Awards (the Tuis) were held on October 18. Please give me the name of a finalist in "Best Female Solo Artist", "Best Male Solo Artist", or "Kiwi FM Best Group" categories.
10 Points: Dave Dobbyn
5 Points: Bic Runga (2), Anika Moa (3), Che Fu (2), Fly My Pretties (3)
Not mentioned: Aaradhna, Don McGlashan, Elemeno P, Bleeders

5) Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage site in Austria.
10 Points: Historic Centre of the City of Salzburg, City of Graz - Historic Centre, Historic Centre of Vienna
5 Points: Palace and Gardens of Schönbrunn (2), Semmering Railway (2), Wachau Cultural Landscape (2), Fertö / Neusiedlersee Cultural Landscape (2)
Not Mentioned: Hallstatt-Dachstein Salzkammergut Cultural Landscape

How about some more observations? Okay, you have twisted my arm.
1) New Zealand lost the cricket to Sri Lanka but have since beaten Pakistan to make the semi finals . Now we will have to see if Australia or India also makes it. Right Engadine and Srini?
2) I was going to offer a trip to the Kiribati Islands for the winner but the Ren's envelope did not turn up this time.
3) Looks like Sara is popular, especially if she turns up in the room at midnight.
4) Be honest, how many of these New Zealand singers and groups have you had of before this round?

Anway, if you are still awake, here are the official results:

40 points - Srini, Mugaboo, Jane, and Gemini
30 points - Gatsby, Denni, Bethfay, Engadine, Glamel, and Maggie
25 points - Ren (looks like turning up at midnight is not popular after all )

Thank you everyone and a well-earned point for Srini, Mugaboo, Jane, and Gemini.

I hope to see you all back next week.

#324747 - Thu Oct 26 2006 11:52 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Yayy!!!!! I finally get my second point for the month...thank you, Howie

After the way India played against West Indies last night, I seriously doubt if we have any chance at all against Australia

2 more hours for Round 24, folks....

#324748 - Fri Oct 27 2006 01:04 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

How about some more observations? Okay, you have twisted my arm.
1) New Zealand lost the cricket to Sri Lanka but have since beaten Pakistan to make the semi finals . Now we will have to see if Australia or India also makes it. Right Engadine and Srini?
4) Be honest, how many of these New Zealand singers and groups had you heard of before this round?

Mmm, Australia winning in the Cricket? Well India have gone down like a bag of you-know-what, and, stranger things have happened . . . Australia has been running hot and cold for a while now . . . but I think we can flog both the Kiwi's and the Indian's, pretty safe bet . . .
And as for Kiwi Bands, New Zealand has a music industry? I thought all your lot, like Dave Dobbins, just came over to the 'Mainland' and recorded their stuff here . . .

Seriously tho', I'd only heard of Dave . . . not many Kiwi's make it big on the world stage, unless they are mistaken for Aussies . . . lololol

(Okay, I'll stop now, already said too much as per usual I'm sure! )

#324749 - Fri Oct 27 2006 02:15 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Round 24 Results

9 wonderful players for this round

1. Name a major festival celebrated in India.
For 10 points: Id- Ul Zuha (Bakrid); Holi; Guru Nanak Jayanti; Janamashtami; Kite Festival
For 5 points: Ganesh Chaturthi (2); Dussehra (2); Note: Ganapati is another name for Ganesha.
Not mentioned: Diwali; Christmas; Id-Ul-Fitr (Ramzan); Pongal; Rama Navami; Mahavir Jayanthi; Buddha Purnima; Baisakhi; Easter and many more!

2. Name of a classical dance form of India.
For 10 points: Bharatnatyam
For 5 points: Kuchipudi (3); Mohiniattam (3); Odissi (2)
Not mentioned: Kathak; Kathakali; Manipuri

3. Name a religion that is followed in India.
For 10 points: Islam; Buddhism; Bahai, Ayyavazhi
For 5 points: Zoroastrianism (3); Jainism (2) Note: Parsis are followers of the Zoroastrianism religion
Not mentioned: Hinduism, Christianity, Sikhism, Judaism

4. Name somebody who has served as a Prime Minister of India.
For 10 points: Gulzarilal Nanda
For 5 points: Lal Bahadur Shastri (3); Chandra Shekhar (3); Morarji Desai (2);
Not mentioned: Jawaharlal Nehru; Indira Gandhi; Charan Singh; Rajiv Gandhi; Vishwanath Pratap Singh; P. V. Narasimha Rao; Atal Behari Vajpayee; H. D. Deve Gowda; Inder Kumar Gujral; Dr. Manmohan Singh

5. Name a summer Olympic Game (venue and year) where India won the Hockey Gold.
Nobody gets 10 points!!!
For 5 points: Amsterdam, 1928 (2); Berlin, 1936 (2); Helsinki, 1952 (3); Tokyo, 1964 (2);
Not mentioned: Los Angeles 1932; London, 1948; Melbourne, 1956; Moscow, 1980

Some notes:

I think we are all looking for the most “exotic” and “rare” answer and in the process missing some very obvious and easy choices. I would have thought people would definitely go for Hinduism and Christianity for Q3 and for such names like Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi or even our current PM Manmohan Singh for Q4! Am really surprised nobody mentioned these as answers

And the final scores of a round that fluctuated with every entry I received

With 40 points – Bethfay
On 35 points – JaneMarple, Denni19
On 30 points – Engadine, Ren33, Gatsby, Howie
25 points – Glamel, MaggieG

A big thanks to all you wonderful people for taking part and a very well deserved point for the month to Bethfay

--srini701

PS: The first person sending in the answers unfortunately did not win this time, but don’t let that stop you all from rushing in your answers for my next round

#324750 - Fri Oct 27 2006 04:40 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
I am a little late with the round for the 26th (was that yesterday??) but hope to post the questions tomorrow (28th). Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten this time...

#324751 - Sat Oct 28 2006 07:09 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 28

1. Last night the St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series. Name a team who has won the World Series since 1996.

2. In the Foxlife section of Fox News Channel's website, it gives ideas for 8 Killer Last Minute Halloween costumes. Name one of them.

3. The movie Running With Scissors opened this weekend. Name a cast member whose character has a name.

4. On this date in 1886, the Statue of Liberty was dedicated. At the base of the Statue, the poem "The New Colussus" is engraved on a plaque. Give me any noun from that poem. The word must be used as a noun in this poem. (careful - no second chances for anyone who can't pick out a noun)

5. On September 28, 1955, Bill Gates was born. He tops the list of the world's richest men. According to Forbes, who else is in the top ten for 2006?

This will be open until at least the middle of the week. I'll be around for help if needed!

Edited by cinnam0n (Sun Oct 29 2006 07:27 AM)

#324752 - Sat Oct 28 2006 03:59 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 27 will be closing in 24 hours, calculated from the time shown on this post

#324753 - Sat Oct 28 2006 04:57 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
Round 26

Apologies for the late arrival of this set of questions. As we change our clocks yet again to accommodate some notion that you need more light in the mornings than the evening, and I start to go into a decline as a result, my thoughts turned to darkness...

1) Please name a track from the classic Pink Floyd album 'Dark Side of the Moon'.

2)One of my favourite children's stories is that of 'The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark'. Name one of the characters who helps to convince Plop that dark isn't such a bad thing.

3)Name an actor from the 2005 film 'Dark Water'.

4) Joseph Conrad was responsible for 'Heart of Darkness', the book on which the fim 'Apocalypse Now' was based. Name another of his literary works.

5) Finally, Dublin, capital city of Ireland takes its name from the Gaelic 'dubh linn', the dark (or black) pool. From this list give me one of the tourist attractions you might hope to visit in that 'dark' city.

Hope I haven't made you too gloomy! Help available if needed! I'll close this round on Wednesday.

#324754 - Sun Oct 29 2006 07:31 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Anyone who has already responded to my quiz, please check the clarification I put in for question 4 and resubmit your answer for it if necessary. I have had several answers of words which, if standing alone, may be considered nouns, but are not nouns as used in the poem.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002