Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#324755 - Sun Oct 29 2006 07:42 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Sorry for this but I am having a bit of trouble understanding what exactly Question #4 wants us to do It's because of my limited English knowledge

Please bear with me here and clarify this - we have to pick a noun which is used only as a subject in that poem? That would help me distinguish between them.
I apologise and Thank you!

#324756 - Sun Oct 29 2006 04:04 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Last warning - Round 27 closes in 1 hour.

#324757 - Sun Oct 29 2006 04:54 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
No, not as a subject, as a noun. Here's an example - the word "sunset" is usually used as a noun, since the definition of a noun is a person, place, or thing. However, in the poem, the word "sunset" is used as an adjective, not a noun. It describes the noun "gates." (Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand)

I didn't realize there would be any confusion on this, just tried to ask for what I thought would be the easiest part of speech to pick out.

#324758 - Sun Oct 29 2006 05:12 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

**Thanks cinnam0n, now I get it **

Round 27 is closed. Results will be posted soon...I hope

#324759 - Sun Oct 29 2006 08:13 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 30 Monday

In my quest to both tie questions together AND bring up my favorite all-time actresses, this week I'm picking on the mesmerizing, delightful and unstoppable Miss Tallulah Bankhead (1902-1968). The following are about her. Well, sort of ...

1.) Tallulah was born to a political family (Senators and such) in Alabama. Very well-to-do. But that's not the question. Alabama has produced two noticeable musical acts, among many, too. Please tell me a member of either of the group(s) "Alabama" or "Drive-By-Truckers".
2.) While becoming a most worthy stage actress Bankhead made several films, the first of which was "Who Loved Him Best" when she was just 16 years old. It was directed by the very prolific (but hardly well-remembered) Dell Henderson. Besides the movie mentioned, please tell me another film directed by Henderson that came out in 1918.
3.) Tallulah's probable best known screen work came in her award-winning turn in Alfred Hitchcock's 1944 claustrophobic classic "Lifeboat", which boasted a script penned by the outstanding novelist John Steinbeck. In Salinas, California Steineck's birthplace/boyhood home still stands and is a popular tourist attraction there. If we were going to "The Steinbeck House" what might we choose as our entree off their luncheon menu? [Note: the menu changes weekly but a 'representative' bill of fare can be found online so anything mentioned there is fine]
4.) On the 1960's TV camp favorite series "Batman" many Hollywood legends showed up to have a little fun playing a villain. Bankhead had her turn hamming it up as 'Black Widow' in 1967. While there were only 37 episodes of the show, some 30 [main] villains were featured. Please select one ~ and, if you would, choose one who did not appear in any of the five recent "Batman" motion pictures (which still leaves a couple of dozen...).
5.) Yikes. In 1965, Tallulah Bankhead did a film called "Die! Die! My Darling!". Clearly, there weren't a lot of good parts for women of her age at the time . The movie DID make the list over on Amazon.com naming "Campy, Bitshy and BAD - The 25 Best Movies" (it came in at #23). Pick a film that was in the Top 10 on that list, OK?

That's it for today. This will close late Thursday/early Friday. If you get stuck, give me a holler.
Thus, and with all due respect to the grand Miss Bankhead, I'll bid you an honorable 'adieu'...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Oct 29 2006 09:32 PM)

#324760 - Mon Oct 30 2006 03:47 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Tuesday 31st October!
Seeming it is H A L L O W E ' E N I thought I’d get into the “Spirit” of things!

1. Something you associate with Hallowe’en
2. A popular Hallowe’en costume
3. Lemony Snicket has created a series of books called “A Series of Unfortunate Events”. Name me one of the books.
4. A favourite “treat” you might give to Trick or Treaters
5. Something you can eat at Hallowe’en

Edited by JaneMarple (Tue Oct 31 2006 01:58 AM)

#324761 - Mon Oct 30 2006 03:47 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for Round 27

11 players for this round - Thank you all for being here!

The 5 questions were:

1. WWW-The Project. Follow the "People" link and give me the name of someone involved in the project

For 10 points: Tim Berners-Lee, Dan Connoly, Alain Favre, Eelco van Asperen, Willem Van Leeuven, Jean-Francois Groff, Peter Dobberstein

For 5 points: Nicola Pellow (2), David Foster (2)

Not mentioned: Robert Cailliau, Tony Johnson, Bebo White, Pei Wei, and a few others.

2. Give me the name of a notorious e-mail spammer.

For 10 points: iMedia, PharmaMaster, Leo Kuvayev, Alan Ralsky, Brian Haberstroh, Ryan Pitylak, Robert "Robby" Todino, Jr, Golddisk.net

For 5 points: Davis Wolfgang Hawke (3)

Not mentioned: Leila Kaplan, Laura Betterly, Jennifer Clason (looks like "girls just wanna have fun" too ), Billy Williams, and the list doesn't end here.

3. Name one of Google's Search Products

For 10 points: Google News, Froogle, Music Trends, Image Labeler, Google Finance, University Search,

For 5 points: Book Search (3), Image(s) Search (2)

Not mentioned: Google - Alerts, Groups, Base, Catalog, Video, Blog search, Mobile.

4. Give me the name of a website in any category that was a winner or nominee in 2002.

For 10 points: KaZaA, espn.com, Guggenheim.com, Netbaby, bthere.tv, Devices of Wonder, Library of Congress, epicurious.com, The Onion, opensecrets.org, exploratorium.edu

10 points ALL - Yay!

5. Define your world - Urban Dictionary: Random Word.

For 10 points: Shoulder Surfing, Honeyed, hoopajoo, Troll Bait, toolgasm, Backs, Estrogen, Pancreas, Kinioned, Jobby, special k

10 points ALL - But that was expected

And the results are......

50 points: Mugaboo and Srini
Well done, Gentlemen! [I hope you are both men ....gentle I know you are ]

45 points: Engadine, Gatsby, glamel, Howie, Jane, Lofthus, Maggie

40 points: bethfay and ren

**Now let's have some fun with the definitions of the random words you found - I had to share them!

Shoulder Surfing - To look over the shoulder(s) of a person with whom you are currently engaged in conversation to see if you can find someone 'better' to talk to.

Honeyed - Mesmerizing to look at. Luscious, Sweet tasting.

hoopajoo - Anything vague and potentially uncomfortable, often inserted into an orifice - like in *You were abducted by aliens? Did they stick a big metal hoopajoo up your [censored]?*

Troll Bait - a person who attracts trolls and responds to them unknowingly to their scheme; one who falls prey to the phenomenon of trolling in an irc room, forum, or internet voice chat room; a person, place, or website that trolls find a method of attack--especially naive, overly deceptible person.
Don't be troll bait or else you could find yourself kicked, devoiced, bounced, banned, or booted from a voice room, irc channel, website, or web forum by responding angrily to a troll who has shrewd skill in avoiding the radar.

toolgasm - a peaking point in the listening of music written by tool. At this point, the listener undergoes a sensation much like that of an orgasm, without the mess.

Backs - A place in line behind someone who is already in line.

Estrogen - Estrogen....simply enough....is God's curse on man.

Pancreas - the human organ used to store and digest pancakes.

Kinioned - to be messed over or misrepresented.

Jobby - a term used 2 discribe a poo poo, or someone that is being really annoying! [ this one has more than 20 definitions, all on the same 'theme' but differently expressed]

special k - Ketamine. Often obtained by breaking into animal hospitals, this liquid-state tranquilizer can be poured over a mirror, dried, and diced into a powder ready for rave-happy snorting.

I want to bid a warm "Welcome!" to Lofthus - he/she is a new user on FT Forums and in Trivia Rounds and I am glad he/she played my Round. Also I hope he/she will stick around.

Thanks everybody for playing.

Jane, please add 1 point for October to Mugaboo and Srini.

#324762 - Tue Oct 31 2006 01:59 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Please note - Question Three Changed!! so please send me in another answer if you can

#324763 - Tue Oct 31 2006 07:32 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 28 will close around this time tomorrow...

#324764 - Tue Oct 31 2006 02:10 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Lofthus Offline
Participant

Loc: Bahrain
It is a great honor for me to play in a respectable quiz-maker's round. My sincere appreciation for the hearty welcome, denni19.

#324765 - Tue Oct 31 2006 02:47 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

You're most welcome Lofthus
I am not a quiz-maker, but I am working on that . I only do some Friday Rounds here in the Forums. Hope you're having fun with the games.
But we do have great quizzers in here and I am honored they have accepted me among them.

#324766 - Wed Nov 01 2006 11:14 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 28

1. Name a team who has won the World Series since 1996.

10 points - St. Louis Cardinals

5 points - Florida Marlins (4), Arizona Diamondbacks (4), New York Yankees (3)

Not mentioned were the Anaheim Angels, the Boston Red Sox, and the Chicago White Sox.

2. In the Foxlife section of Fox News Channel's website, it gives ideas for 8 Killer Last Minute Halloween costumes. Name one of them.

10 points - Sodoku, IPod Commercial

5 points - Jellyfish (3), Clark Kent (2), Spam Monster (3), Bag of Jellybeans (2)

Not mentioned were a Mummy and a Hershey's Kiss.

3. The movie Running With Scissors opened this weekend. Name a cast member whose character has a name.

10 points - Jack Kaedings, Gabrielle Union, Nancy Cassaro, Joseph Cross, Patrick Wilson, Leslie Grossman, Evan Rachel Wood, Alec Baldwin, Colleen Camp, Dagmara Dominczyk

5 points - Jill Clayburgh (2)

4. On this date in 1886, the Statue of Liberty was dedicated. At the base of the Statue, the poem "The New Colussus" is engraved on a plaque. Give me any noun from that poem. The word must be used as a noun in this poem. (careful - no second chances for anyone who can't pick out a noun)

10 points - lamp, cities, lightning,shore, flame, lips, door

5 points - woman (2), harbor (2)

5. On September 28, 1955, Bill Gates was born. He tops the list of the world's richest men. According to Forbes, who else is in the top ten for 2006?

10 points - Lakshmi Mittal, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud

5 points - Bernard Arnault (3), Ingvar Kampred (3), Warren Buffett (2), Paul Allen (2)

Not mentioned were Carlos Slim Helu, Kenneth Thomson, and Li Ka-shing.

Scores
Our winners, with 40 points each, are cujimmy and bethfay!

35 points - Gatsby722, ren33, Engadine, Mugaboo, MaggieG

30 points - JaneMarple, denni19, Lofthus, glamel, Howie72

A very close round! Unfortunately, everyone seemed to gravitate toward a lot of the same answers on this one! Thanks so much to the 12 who played!

#324767 - Wed Nov 01 2006 11:51 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
Round 26 will close in a few hours. Calling all latecomers! (and for once it's not me... )

#324768 - Wed Nov 01 2006 10:42 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
Round 25 is closed

Answers and scores up soon.

#324769 - Thu Nov 02 2006 12:45 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
Round 25 results - 12 people played

1) Name an actor (or actress) That starred in the movie "The Cave of the Yellow Dog"

Worth 10 points
Nansalmaa Batchuluun

Worth 5 point
Babbayar Batchuluun (2), Nansal Batchuluun (3), Batchuluun Urjindorj (2), Buyandulam Daramdadi (4)

The five main actors in this film are a real family (parents and three children) who had never acted before. It is simple story about a little girl wanting to keep a dog she has found. The film is an interesting look at the daily life of a nomadic Mongolain family.

2) The country of Andorra is divided into 7 parishes (parroquies). Name one of the parishes

Worth 10 points
Canillo

Worth 5 points
Escaldes-Engordany (2), La Massana (3), Encamp (4), Andorra la Vella (2)

3) Name a famous woman called Nancy (no fictional characters)

Worth 10 points
Nancy Spain (journalist), Nancy Ajran (Lebanese singer), Nancy Spungen (girlfriend of Sid Vicious), Nancy Astor (first female member of the House of Commons) , Nancy Friday (author), Nancy McArthur (children's author), Nancy Blanche Jenison (doctor), Nancy Burson (artist), Nancy Kulp (actress), Nancy Wilson (singer)

Worth 5 points
Nancy Reagan (First Lady)

4) Give me a four letter word that begins with Z

Worth 10 points (all worth 10 points)
Zonk, zest, zits, zing, zoot, zouk, zero, zyme, zinc, zoom, zoic, zips

5) Australia Post has recently released a stamp series called "Australia - 50 Years of Television". Name one TV show that is represented on the stamps.

Worth 10 points
"In Melbourne Tonight (IMT)"

Worth 5 points
Neighbours (4), Kath and Kim (2), Homicide (3), Dateline (2)

SCORES

45 points - bethfay

40 points - Mugaboo
35 points - Maggie G, Howie72, cujimmy, Ren33, srini701, glamel, denni19, gatsby722
30 points - Lofthus, Jane Marple

Congratulations to bethfay.

#324770 - Thu Nov 02 2006 04:39 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
Apologies for the late arrival of the results. A glass or two of wine seemed like such a good idea at the time, though... And then I fell asleep.

Never mind. Ten stalwarts took part this time (thank you!) and did remarkably well, lightening what was a dark and gloomy set of questions with their brilliance.

1) Please name a track from the classic Pink Floyd album 'Dark Side of the Moon'.
For ten points
Any Colour You Like, Time, Money, On the Run
For five points Us and Them, The Great Gig in the Sky, Brain Damage

2)One of my favourite children's stories is that of 'The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark'. Name one of the characters who helps to convince Plop that dark isn't such a bad thing.
For ten points
The little girl who told him about Father Christmas, the boyscout, the black cat

For five points The man with the telescope, the little boy waiting for the firweorks, the old lady

None of the characters had names apart from the black cat who was the last character Plop encountered, and his name was Sirius.

3)Name an actor from the 2005 film 'Dark Water'.
For ten points
Jennifer Baxter, Perla Haney-Jardine, Jennifer Connolly, Pete Postlethwaite, Bill Buell
For five points Tim Roth, Ariel Gade

4) Joseph Conrad was responsible for 'Heart of Darkness', the book on which the fim 'Apocalypse Now' was based. Name another of his literary works.
For ten points
Chance, Notes on Life and Letters, An Outcast of the Islands, The Arrow of Gold, Typhoon
For five points The Shadow Line, Under Western Eyes

5) Finally, Dublin, capital city of Ireland takes its name from the Gaelic 'dubh linn', the dark (or black) pool. From this list give me one of the tourist attractions you might hope to visit in that 'dark' city.
For ten points
General Post Office in O'Connell Street, National Maritime Museum, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rathfarnam Castle, Marsh's Library, Powerscourt Townhouse Centre
For five points Pearse Museum, Rathfarnam, Howth Castle and rhododendron Gardens

And points were awarded as follows:-

Mugaboo and Denni19 - 45 points
Howie 72 and JaneMarple - 40 points
cujimmy, Engadine, Gatsby722, ren33 and glamel - 35 points
bethfay - 25 points

Congratulations to Mugaboo and Denni19 who share the honours this time.

And thanks again to all who played!

#324771 - Thu Nov 02 2006 12:07 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

The Hallowe'en round closes tomorrow

#324772 - Thu Nov 02 2006 12:56 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 30 will be closing in 10-12 hours. I really need to hear back from two players on this one (it actually might change scoring this time). So, chop chop...let's put Round 30 to rest ...

#324773 - Fri Nov 03 2006 02:22 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Halloween round closes in 5 or 6 hours

Edited by JaneMarple (Fri Nov 03 2006 02:24 AM)

#324774 - Fri Nov 03 2006 03:30 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 30 ~ Monday
"Tallulah Bankhead"
*Whew! Talk about the final shakedown coming at the very end ! Great answers from all 11 who joined in!

1.) Tallulah was born to a political family (Senators and such) in Alabama. Very well-to-do. But that's not the question. Alabama has produced two noticeable musical acts, among many, too. Please tell me a member of either of the group(s) "Alabama" or "Drive-By-Truckers".

For 10 points:
Jeff Cook ('Alabama'), Patterson Hood and Shonna Tucker (both 'Drive-By-Truckers').
For 5 points:
Randy Owen and Teddy Gentry (both 'Alabama') (2 each), Jason Isbell ('Drive-By-Truckers') (4).

Others were Mark Herndon ('Alabama'), Mike Cooley and Brad Morgan (both 'Truckers').

2.) While becoming a most worthy stage actress Bankhead made several films, the first of which was "Who Loved Him Best" when she was just 16 years old. It was directed by the very prolific (but hardly well-remembered) Dell Henderson. Besides the movie mentioned, please tell me another film directed by Henderson that came out in 1918.

For 10 points:
My Wife, The Impostor, The Road to France.
For 5 points:
By Hook or Crook (2), The Golden Wall (3), Hitting the Trail (3).

3.) Tallulah's probable best known screen work came in her award-winning turn in Alfred Hitchcock's 1944 claustrophobic classic "Lifeboat", which boasted a script penned by the outstanding novelist John Steinbeck. In Salinas, California Steineck's birthplace/boyhood home still stands and is a popular tourist attraction there. If we were going to "The Steinbeck House" what might we choose as our entree off their luncheon menu? [Note: the menu changes weekly but a 'representative' bill of fare can be found online so anything mentioned there is fine]

For 10 points:
Spanish Squash, Mushroom Crust Quiche, Soup & Salad [<---a rather interesting (and valid) choice, that one, as it is an alternative to any entree, any day ].
For 5 points:
Chicken Piccata (2), Chef's Special Meatloaf [Which, to me, sounds a little scary ~ what do they do? Just grind up yesterday's leftovers and call it a 'Special' ] (2), Spinach Ricotta Quiche (4).

4.) On the 1960's TV camp favorite series "Batman" many Hollywood legends showed up to have a little fun playing a villain. Bankhead had her turn hamming it up as 'Black Widow' in 1967. While there were only 37 episodes of the show, some 30 [main] villains were featured. Please select one ~ and, if you would, choose one who did not appear in any of the five recent "Batman" motion pictures (which still leaves a couple of dozen...).

For 10 points:
Colonel Gumm (as played by Roger C. Carmel), The Bookworm (or Roddy McDowell), Lola Lasagne (or Ethel Merman), Zelda the Great AND Olga, Queen of the Cossacks (both played by Anne Baxter), The Mad Hatter (or David Wayne), Marsha Queen of Diamonds (or Carolyn Jones), The Puzzler (or Maurice Evans), Black Widow (our Tallulah - and I never said she couldn't be chosen ).
For 5 points:
Louie the Lilac (or Milton Berle) (2).

5.) Yikes. In 1965, Tallulah Bankhead did a film called "Die! Die! My Darling!". Clearly, there weren't a lot of good parts for women of her age at the time . The movie DID make the list over on Amazon.com naming "Campy, Bitshy and BAD - The 25 Best Movies" (it came in at #23). Pick a film that was in the Top 10 on that list, OK?

For 10 points:
"The Poseidon Adventure", "Mommie Dearest", "Best of Everything".
For 5 points:
"The Bad Seed" (2), "Valley of the Dolls" (2), "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" (4).

The others were "Showgirls", "The Stepford Wives" (original), "Love Machine" and, I was shocked to see on the list, "The Birds"!

The Results!

glamel, Lofthus, MaggieG ....40 points!
cujimmy, denni19, Engadine, Howie72, JaneMarple, Mugaboo....35 points!
bethfay, ren33....30 points!

Well done, well done, well done to everyone . In a quest for a clever Howie observation (which, quite certainly, he is much better at than I) it would seem that, as you all are on your way to see Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? after a bite of spinach with some dude named Jason, I can only say 'gracias' and "drive safely!"...

A point to each glamel, Lofthus and MaggieG!!!

#324775 - Fri Nov 03 2006 12:52 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Round 31 - closed! results on their way

#324776 - Fri Nov 03 2006 01:03 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Tuesday 31st October!
1. Something you associate with Hallowe’en
For Ten Points:
Horror films, Broomstick, Bobbing for apples, The United States of America, Bad horror movies, Popcorn balls (dyed orange w/ food coloring), Pumpkins, Dunking for apples, Kids, Spider webs,
For Five Points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Fake blood, rain, screams! And more

2. A popular Hallowe’en costume
For Ten Points:
Clowns, Batman, Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, KISS band member, A ghost/ghoul, Egyptian Mummy, Ballerina,
For Five Points:
Witch (2),
Not mentioned:
Wizard, Headless monster, Superman and more

3. Lemony Snicket has created a series of books called “A Series of Unfortunate Events”. Name me one of the books.
For Ten Points:
The Austere Academy. The Miserable Mill,
For Five Points:
The Grim Grotto (2), The Vile Village (2), The Ersatz Elevator (2), The Bad Beginning (2),
Not mentioned:
The Hostile Hospital, The Wide Window, The End and more

4. A favourite “treat” you might give to Trick or Treaters
For Ten Points:
Apple, Smarties, Love-Hearts, Candy Corn, an orange, Cracker Jacks, A toffee, sweets/candy, Chocolate cookies, A Nestle's Crunch bar,
For Five Points:
Ten points to all
Not mentioned:
Kit-Kats, Mars Bars, home-made cookies and more

5. Something you can eat at Hallowe’en
For Ten Points:
Liver, Eerie eyeballs, Toffee Apples, Caramel Apples, Blue Spaghetti, Pumpkin bread, Leftover Pumpkin, The toffee (to me although Toffee Apple and Caramel Apple are basically the same, I am sure they are slightly different! That’s why I awarded both 10 points)
For Five Points:
Pumpkin pie (2)
Not mentioned:
Apples (plain!), Chocolate, Popcorn and more

SCORES:
Cujimmy – 50
Bethfay – 45
Engadine – 45
Glamel – 45
Gatsby – 45
Jonnowales – 45
Mugaboo – 45