Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#325369 - Fri Oct 06 2006 09:32 AM Which wire ?
mochyn Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Milton Keynes England UK  
Do you ever watch the movies and there is a wire to cut that will stop the bomb from going off.Is it the red wire or blue wire?
So my question to all you bomb makers on this site.
What happens if you cut them both at the same time?

#325370 - Fri Oct 06 2006 09:54 PM Re: Which wire ?
prof_electro Offline
Explorer

Loc: Reno Nevada USA          
Facinating question.

I am not a bomb maker but retired teacher. If the two colored wires are configured as a shunt (a circuit diverter), selecting the incorrect one will switch the shunt off and complete the circuit. Cutting the 'hot' one would negate the circuit. If there are two shunting circuits, cutting both simultaneously will negate the shunting mechanism and once again complete the circuit. Assuming, of course, that it is a DC circuit.

In an AC circuit, the shunt could be a diode which will allow the electrons to pass in only one direction.

Since electricity travels at the speed of light, cutting both at exactly the same instant would be very problematic. A lot of electrons can flow in a millisecond (1 thousandth of a second).

As I recall, some of James Bond's bomb problems were AC and some DC. A battery would be DC (like on the ship in "Diamonds Are Forever") and if it was plugged in (like in Goldfinger)it would be AC, unless again, it has an inverter built in (but that's another movie).

In conclusion, some movies are great entertainment, not good science.

BOOM!

#325371 - Wed Oct 11 2006 04:19 AM Re: Which wire ?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
There's no following an answer like that prof_electro but there is perhaps another factor to be considered.

In movies, it really depends who cuts the wires. If it's a 'goodie' (like 007), it ultimately won't matter how the wires are cut. The bomb either won't go off or it will at least give the hero time for a reasonably safe, sometimes spectacular, retreat.

If it's a 'baddie' cutting the wires, it won't matter how he does it either. The bomb will go off almost immediately and blow him to bits regardless.

#325372 - Wed Oct 11 2006 04:28 AM Re: Which wire ?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
HEALTH WARNING

If you find a bomb do not attempt to defuse it using any information gained on this site! Run like hell then phone the police.

#325373 - Wed Oct 11 2006 04:35 AM Re: Which wire ?
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
Quote:

In movies, it really depends who cuts the wires. If it's a 'goodie' (like 007), it ultimately won't matter how the wires are cut. The bomb either won't go off or it will at least give the hero time for a reasonably safe, sometimes spectacular, retreat.

But shouldn't you wait till there is only one second to cut the wire? (Whichever it be)

Else the audience might kill you

#325374 - Wed Oct 11 2006 06:10 AM Re: Which wire ?
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
And there always has to be a visible digital timer, so you know exactly how much time you have to disarm the bomb!

#325375 - Wed Oct 11 2006 06:12 AM Re: Which wire ?
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
Quote:

Run like hell then phone the police.

Oh Sue!
The advice you give us...

#325376 - Wed Oct 11 2006 08:42 AM Re: Which wire ?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
There was a tragic, and rather pathetic case of an I.R.A. bomber who blew himself up by getting his bomb sequence wrong. His home made bomb had a supposedly safety feature whereby it had first to have the timer set, then be armed by pulling out a plunger. Unfortunately for him, but maybe fortunately for others, he forgot the sequence, and pulled the plunger first, thus detonating the bomb instantly!
Sadly he was on a London bus, en route to his intended target, when this incident occurred so several innocent people died with him.

#325377 - Wed Oct 11 2006 09:05 AM Re: Which wire ?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
When my son was at school a group of them, all about seventeen, got into bomb making for fun. My son and the boy he did this with mostly, did so on private land and were fairly careful. One of their friends was less sensible. First he transported his bomb on a public road to a beach. Then attempted to detonate it in a public (if deserted) place. That is two very big no,nos. Then when it didn't go off as planned he made the mistake of going back to it and picking it up with his hands. Another very big mistake, it exploded. He was injured in his abdomen and lost part of his hand.

The upshot was that the police got involved. The phones went red hot as each boy got a visit, we just sat back and waited for the police to arrive. When the police car stopped outside the house three policemen got out, I am not sure what they thought they were going to meet. I answered the door and said that we were expecting them.

The police didn't search the house, although they did say that they MIGHT return with a search warrant and (hint hint) if you have any materials in the house which could be used in bomb making to get rid of them! They confiscated his Anarchists Cookbook and some other papers. We spent several hours driving around the island depositing various items into waste bins in the hope they didn't meet up in the incinerator! I understand that there is one private lake here in Jersey with a fair amount of jettisoned gear!

#325378 - Wed Oct 11 2006 09:37 AM Re: Which wire ?
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
I've never had a 'real' experience with a bomb thankgod, but the thread reminded me of an old Home and Away episode, where a kid named Nelson makes a bomb, and one of his parents put their hand in the box, and it blew up.

#325379 - Thu Oct 12 2006 07:10 AM Re: Which wire ?
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Oh I think Sues advice is the best to follow.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943