Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#325613 - Mon Oct 09 2006 08:27 AM Favourite foods
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>EnglandUK
Without doubt my personal food favourite is raw carrots dipped in taramasalata - which for anyone who's never heard of it, is a dip composed of olive oil, pink fish roe, and seasoning which originates from Greece. My daughter and youngest grand-daughters are also keen fans of this snack, so maybe there's something hereditary there? I often have just this and nothing else for lunch, which is even nicer with a glass of white wine to accompany it.
Every other food I eat is fine, but nothing else comes even close to this one for enjoyment. Has anyone else got 'unusual' food favourites?

#325614 - Mon Oct 09 2006 10:18 AM Re: Favourite foods
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong HongKong
Two , I think. Well I love ALL food (except pickles and broad beans), and ALL desserts in particular. There are two that I adore :
avocado with french dressing.
asparagus with butter.
Then there are new potatoes with mint and butter
Emmentaler cheese.
Oh dear that's four already.
Hummus.
olives.
Hmmmmm

Edited by ren33 (Mon Oct 09 2006 10:20 AM)

#325615 - Wed Oct 11 2006 03:47 AM Re: Favourite foods
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
Shellfish, lobster, spider crab etc comes pretty high on my list of favourites but I am not sure that it comes as high as really well cooked (as in rare and juicy) roast beef with crispy roast potatoes. For a really rare treat, nothing beats KFC though - I guess that could be considered an odd choice.

Edited by sue943 (Wed Oct 11 2006 03:48 AM)

#325616 - Wed Oct 11 2006 07:27 AM Re: Favourite foods
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
An unusual favorite food... probably artichokes. I know they're becoming more common in recipes, especially the marinated artichoke hearts, but a good fresh artichoke, steamed with lemon water and served with butter for dipping... that's a lovely thing!

#325617 - Wed Oct 11 2006 08:01 AM Re: Favourite foods
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
OhioUSA
I love Braunschweiger. With horseradish! That's two, I guess, but it makes for a wonderful sandwich and, historically, Braunschweiger is patently unpopular around here. As a kid I wouldn't even take a whiff of it but now it's a real treat.

Oh, and no offense intended AT ALL (to each his own, and thank goodness life works that way ) but I must admit to being dashed by the raw carrots and fish eggs. At once? It makes my belly hurt just to imagine it . But I've got this "thing" against carrots of any variety. Love artichokes and asparagus, though, if that redeems me at all...

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Oct 11 2006 10:12 AM)

#325618 - Wed Oct 11 2006 08:08 AM Re: Favourite foods
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SouthAustralia
Quote:

I love Brauschweiger.

May i enquire as to what Brauschweiger is.
It sounds German. Am i correct in assuming that?

#325619 - Wed Oct 11 2006 08:33 AM Re: Favourite foods
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
OhioUSA
Oh, sorry . Here's the scoop on Braunschweiger...

#325620 - Wed Oct 11 2006 09:59 AM Re: Favourite foods
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
My dad loves braunschweiger and horseradish. yick.

#325621 - Wed Oct 11 2006 10:42 AM Re: Favourite foods
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SouthAustralia
Hmmm.... Not to keen on the sound of liver sausage.

Reminds me of a man i met once who order about 3 extra servings of sauerkrat (I think that's how you spell it) on his hotdog. I actually found the smell putrid enough... Let alone the taste!

#325622 - Wed Oct 11 2006 12:34 PM Re: Favourite foods
prof_electro Offline
Explorer

Loc: Reno NevadaUSA
This reminds me of an epicurean adventure I had some time back.

It was at the Gilroy, California garlic festival. The garlic ice cream was actually quite delightful!

#325623 - Wed Oct 11 2006 01:03 PM Re: Favourite foods
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I enjoy Mum's spaghetti bolgnaise, she makes it the way I like it! And anything chocolately is good with me...in moderation

#325624 - Wed Oct 11 2006 01:15 PM Re: Favourite foods
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng SouthAfrica
Prof electro I hear that chilli ice cream is also realy good though I have never tried it.
After living in the Middle East for five years, I love Babaganoush (eggplant salad) with pita bread and like Aramis, I could sit down and eat it all. A lot of Middle Eastern foods are similar (if not the same as) Greek food and most are realy tasty.

#325625 - Wed Oct 11 2006 04:07 PM Re: Favourite foods
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Oh, and no offense intended AT ALL (to each his own, and thank goodness life works that way ) but I must admit to being dashed by the raw carrots and fish eggs. At once? It makes my belly hurt just to imagine it .

Well caviar is only fish eggs after all, and that's one of the world's luxury foods! Taramasalata doesn't actually taste fishy, and looks more like a pink salad dressing.
I've been eating raw carrots ever since I can remember, so should really have excellent teeth, which unfortunately isn't the case - but I do have good night vision!

#325626 - Wed Oct 11 2006 04:20 PM Re: Favourite foods
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

ChannelIslands
My friend used to pig out on carrots, until her skin turned yellow!

#325627 - Thu Oct 12 2006 01:14 AM Re: Favourite foods
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia
Too much carotene Sue!!

Mmm, I love everything I can't have . . . pizza, pickled herrings, mussels . . . they are the main few that leap to mind right now, but the list is endless (mostly savoury stuff tho', not much of a sweet tooth here!)

#325628 - Thu Oct 12 2006 07:00 AM Re: Favourite foods
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng SouthAfrica
Mmmmmm Dark (Bournville) Chocolate.

#325629 - Mon Oct 16 2006 11:19 AM Re: Favourite foods
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I guess this could also go in the "What do you miss from childhood?" thread, but as it's food related I'll pop it in here.

I spent a lot of time at my grandmother's house as a child, and was regularly collected from there at dinnertime when my Dad finished work. My grandmother often slipped us 'starving' kids a little treat when the vegetables were cooked for her own offspring. One of my favourites was definitely boiled turnip (swede) mashed and served on a thick slice of country bread and butter. It's not very luxurious, and probably not even very appetising for most people, but the way in which it was presented to us as an extra-special treat made all the difference in the world. I still love to take a piece of bread and butter and make a turnip-sandwich when it's on the menu here.

Another treat, usually on a Saturday, was to be allowed have the core of a cooking apple when she was making apple tarts. We could dip it in the sugar bowl as cooking apples aren't very sweet, then nibble away any flesh remaining. Us kids used to squabble like mad to have the core....not to mention the sugar

#325630 - Mon Oct 16 2006 11:54 AM Re: Favourite foods
Cymruambyth Offline
Participant

The thing about cooking apple cores reminded me of a similar childhood treat - although nowadays I'd turn my nose up at it. We used to squabble over who would get the core of the raw cabbage when cabbage was on the dinner menu. How's that for odd?

My favourite food - for dinner: lamb chops, with new potatoes, green peas, mint sauce and gravy. I'm also partial to fried tomatoes and bacon (with the obligatory HP sauce, of course). Yum. And when I'm grumpy or blue, nothing beats hot buttered toast - and a nice cuppa Rosie Lee goes with everything.

#325631 - Mon Oct 16 2006 03:49 PM Re: Favourite foods
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

We also got to eat the peel as well as the cores of cooking apples, dipped in sugar of course. Those were the days of real apple tarts!
I also recall bread and dripping with a liberal sprinkling of salt, delicious and not many people got fat or worried about heart disease or obesity. Everyone worked and played too hard for such things to be a serious problem, or maybe we just didn't know enough!

#325632 - Mon Oct 16 2006 04:53 PM Re: Favourite foods
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

ChannelIslands
Oooer, bread and dripping! Delicious, we all wanted the bit off the bottom. Actually I still love to have the 'jelly' off the pork dripping spread on bread, and yes, with lots of salt.

#325633 - Mon Oct 16 2006 05:46 PM Re: Favourite foods
mummyslittle Offline
Learning the ropes...

Wow most of those sound unusual, I have a few. I tend to get cravings and then put togather what i want. I love sandwiches with avocado, vegemite, mayonnaise, tomato, betroot, aparagus, lettuce, cucumber, cheese, ham, also I love rice bubbles mixed with vanilla ice cream um vegemite and avocado on toast. deep fried oysters with tartare sauce and lemon. roast pork gravy and apple sauce sandwiches. Hot chips (fries) and mayonnaise sandwiches. Yeah i'm sure theres more but they are the ones that come to mind.

#325634 - Mon Oct 16 2006 05:59 PM Re: Favourite foods
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England�UK...
Ah, yes, bread and dripping. It was particularly delicious in the form of dripping on toast.

#325635 - Tue Oct 17 2006 08:20 PM Re: Favourite foods
jarsma63 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: MichiganUSA
Chocolate(any kind I take no prisoners), burgers, and potato chips.
Is it any wonder I'm almost 300 lbs.?
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Cor 13:13).

#325636 - Thu Oct 19 2006 08:54 PM Re: Favourite foods
tiffanyram Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Tennessee USA
In order:
chocolate
pizza
chocolate
chicken
and finally...more chocolate!

As for unusual, I rather enjoy pixie stix and butter on my cornbread!

Edited by tiffanyram (Thu Oct 19 2006 08:55 PM)

#325637 - Wed Dec 13 2006 04:50 AM Re: Favourite foods
ablesentinel Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KansasUSA
Well, though I don't consider it at all odd, everyone else seems to. I call it S.O.S. Let's just say that it stands for 'Stuff On a Shingle' Basically, you just mix canned tuna with cream of mushroom soup. You put a slice of cheese on a slice of toast and top with a generous portion of the heated tuna and soup mix. Viola!
Last edited by Bill Clinton's alien mistress (Mon May 31 2008 12:20 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943