Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#326605 - Mon Oct 16 2006 08:50 AM What do you use?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
ChannelIslands
No, not a drug question. I am at my brother's home in England and am having to use a laptop computer instead of my normal PC, I hate it. So a Poll...

#326606 - Mon Oct 16 2006 03:01 PM Re: What do you use?
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I voted for one, but I use both a laptop and a PC! I would imagine there are quite a few others that do the same.

#326607 - Mon Oct 16 2006 03:13 PM Re: What do you use?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I don't think I'd know a Mac if I fell over it. PC only for me.

#326608 - Mon Oct 16 2006 03:28 PM Re: What do you use?
jarsma63 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: MichiganUSA
I use both too, but the laptop more often.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Cor 13:13).

#326609 - Mon Oct 16 2006 03:29 PM Re: What do you use?
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I do everything on my laptop. 2 monitors connected to it.

Then again, my laptop's a VAIO A series and is larger and more powerful than most desktops

#326610 - Mon Oct 16 2006 04:32 PM Re: What do you use?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

ChannelIslands
Having used a laptop (mine) all weekend I am just SO relieved to get back to my PC. I don't like the compact keyboard nor the bouncy feel of it on the laptop.

#326611 - Mon Oct 16 2006 04:42 PM Re: What do you use?
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I have always used a PC, but my sister swears by her Mac. I guess it is whatever you get used to, eh? Had a laptop once (it ran afoul of baggage handlers, and was never the same again) and like Sue, did not like the teeny keyboard.

#326612 - Tue Oct 17 2006 02:14 PM Re: What do you use?
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I think continued use and "getting used" to a laptop makes all the difference. I know people who use only a laptop and are very happy with it. After I have used mine for a couple of hours I get used to it. In fact, I used my boss's laptop on and off for a week and the left shift key did not work. I had to use the right key to use caps on the right hand side of the keyboard. Then when I finally got back to my own computer, there I was, using the right shift key all the time!

#326613 - Tue Oct 17 2006 02:31 PM Re: What do you use?
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg ManitobaCanada
I've always used a desk top, but only because I had no reason to use a laptop. A friend just got one for work (he's in Real Estate) and he just couldn't get used to the mouse pad thingie. So he bought a wireless mouse and he loves it now

Homer Simpson

#326614 - Tue Oct 17 2006 06:30 PM Re: What do you use?
Blueee Offline
Prolific

Loc: Kent EnglandUK
I use a PC but my father has a laptop and has no idea how to work it! I get phone calls all hours of the day and night asking how he can get online etc.

I wish I hadn't talked him into buying one now

#326615 - Wed Oct 18 2006 12:47 AM Re: What do you use?
ozfei Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Deception Bay QLD�Australia...
I'd love to have a laptop to use so I wouldn't be stuck sitting in the same place everyday.

#326616 - Wed Oct 18 2006 02:43 AM Re: What do you use?
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia
I gave my PC to my 16 year old son and bought myself a brand new 'laptop' . . . I miss my old PC tho' . . .

#326617 - Mon Oct 23 2006 09:51 AM Re: What do you use?
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Durham, NorthCarolinaUSA
I also use both a PC and a laptop. I built my desktop and love it. If I am using the laptop, I have a wireless mouse I hook up to use because I hate the touchpad.

#326618 - Mon Oct 23 2006 10:08 AM Re: What do you use?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

ChannelIslands
The only reason that I bought a laptop was that I wanted to get online when I was in hospital last year. I phoned my computer shop and told them to deliver one to me, to have set it all up for me first so I could access the dialup ISP that I was using. I used to unplug the phone and plug the computer into the telephone point. My daughter used to send me messages by email telling me to get offline so that she could phone me!

I did find it useful the other week, I took it to England with me despite it weighing a ton in my checked baggage. My brother is a tinkerer and often I have been to stay only to find that his computer has problems and needs to be reloaded etc. Having my own meant that I could use it at will, even if he was using his at the same time. Also I had all my bookmarks. I love wireless.

I do not like the touchpad thing and use an USB mouse. I have a great 'stand' which one balances on one's lap, it stops your legs getting warm, allows air to circulate and also has a pop-out mouse area at the side. The mouse area folds into the stand and the whole things fits into the laptop case - brilliant invention. Here it is and this is it with computer on top.

Edited by sue943 (Mon Oct 23 2006 10:10 AM)

Moderator:  ren33, sue943