lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Well said trojan

#328002 - Sat Jul 28 2007 03:50 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Vegemite doesn't scare animals, my friend used to use it to get her cat to clean behind it's ears, if it was scared of it it would just bolt and jump in the bath/shower.

#328003 - Sat Jul 28 2007 04:50 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Quote:

Vegemite doesn't scare animals, my friend used to use it to get her cat to clean behind it's ears, if it was scared of it it would just bolt and jump in the bath/shower.

I love it.

#328004 - Sat Jul 28 2007 05:03 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
trojan11 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Santa Ana
  El Salvador
Quote:

I think I'm lost for words.

#328005 - Sun Jul 29 2007 02:35 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

haha, I tried it on my cat though, and he just ignored it.

#328006 - Sun Jul 29 2007 03:17 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Call me crazy, but as a Seppo, first time I was in Australia, a friend made me eat it. Shoot, tasted real GOOD spread out on toast with butter. Ultimate hangover cure too as long as you can get it past your nose.

Actually banning vegemite in the States? What, to make room for more Fritos? Odd.

- William Blake

#328007 - Sun Jul 29 2007 03:40 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
igotmeajd Offline
Participant

Loc: Metro Detroit Michigan USA   
Quote:

It seems that there isn't a ban on Vegemite after all.

web page

Posted by Kuu on page one of this thread.

Edited by igotmeajd (Sun Jul 29 2007 03:42 AM)

#328008 - Tue Aug 21 2007 08:46 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
I finally have an opinion to give on Marmite. I LIKE it and have actually ordered a jar online from the British Home Market site. If it weren't for Sue being SO kind to send me a portion, I would have never known what all of you were up in arms about. As I told her, it took me a second to get past the saltiness (wasn't expecting that), but I was wishing I had more when it was gone. I have friend from Arizona staying with me for the summer and I am going to MAKE her try it. She is very picky and if I can get it past her, well it just speaks for itself. Sorry, Sue, that it took so long for me to vote Marmite, but I was busy with the animal van for Jenny via Ren and yourself. I also understand now all the comments about "axle grease" and putting it behind a cat's ears. That is some thick stuff!

#328009 - Tue Aug 21 2007 08:54 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

And this thread just won't lie down and die.

#328010 - Tue Aug 21 2007 12:52 PM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Well, just to give my support, this morning I had my morning toast, one with vegemite, the other with marmite. Yum to both!

#328011 - Tue Aug 21 2007 01:40 PM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
trojan11 Offline
Forum Champion

El Salvador
Sitting on the fence ClaraSue? You shoud beware. Vegemite clones (triffids to those in the know) seek to suborn your will to theirs. See your splendid avatar? Just one more slice of toast with vegemite and that....that could be you, in the flesh. Oh dear God! Has it already happened? If you can't smile, just woof, and Marmite soldiers shall come and save you.

#328012 - Wed Aug 22 2007 04:18 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Ok, I have done my research here. "Marmite" is defined my Dictionary.com as "a large earthenware cooking pot.

"Vegemite" is simply defined as "A vegetable and wheast extract spread."

Would you rather eat a large pot, or a delicious spread?

#328013 - Wed Aug 22 2007 05:28 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
A quote from Wikipedia...

Quote:

Since 1923, New Zealand Marmite has been locked in a battle with Vegemite, an American-owned Australian spread with a similar appearance but markedly different flavour.

Obviously so good that no Australian company wants to own it!

#328014 - Wed Aug 22 2007 06:45 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
trojan11 Offline
Forum Champion

El Salvador
Quote:

Ok, I have done my research here. "Marmite" is defined my Dictionary.com as "a large earthenware cooking pot.

"Vegemite" is simply defined as "A vegetable and wheast extract spread."

Would you rather eat a large pot, or a delicious spread?

Further reading might have led you to: Soups cooked in such a pot; and an individual covered casserole (anything cooked in such a pot). Now, what would you rather eat - decaying yeast that even Somali brewers wouldn't touch - or a nice yummy casserole?

#328015 - Wed Aug 22 2007 08:53 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Of course when it was originally marketed Marmite was in a pot like a marmite.

Why did the Australian copiers use the 'mite' part on the end of vege? Presumably in an attempt to make Aussies think it was similar to the real thing.

This quote from History of VegemiteŽ is worth reading.

"With its unusual and unique flavor, Vegemite was not an immediate success and sales were slow. In 1928 Vegemite was renamed and registered as Parwill in an attempt to boost its sales and to attract customers of the rival spread Marmite (an English yeast spread that dominated the Australian market sinc 1910). "If Marmite...then Parwill" was the rationale behind Walker's strategy to carve a niche in the market for his spread. The name Parwill and Walker's play on words didn't catch on. It was only sold as Parwill for a short time in Queensland. The name was withdrawn in 1935, and the original name was reinstated.

Earlier, in 1925, Walker had arranged with the Chicago, Illinois firm of James L. Kraft to make processed cheese in Australia. A company called the Kraft Walker Cheese Co. was established alongside Fred Walker and Co. In 1935, Walker used the success of his processed cheese to launch a new campaign to revive Vegemite. The company launched 2-year coupon redemption scheme whereby a jar of Vegemite was given away with every purchase of other products in the Fred Walker Cheese Company. Australians tried the product and loved it. Vegemite was well and truly on the road to success."

They had to give the stuff away to get the Aussies to try it.

Edited by sue943 (Wed Aug 22 2007 08:54 AM)

#328016 - Wed Aug 22 2007 09:56 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Quote:

Sitting on the fence ClaraSue? You shoud beware. Vegemite clones (triffids to those in the know) seek to suborn your will to theirs. See your splendid avatar? Just one more slice of toast with vegemite and that....that could be you, in the flesh. Oh dear God! Has it already happened? If you can't smile, just woof, and Marmite soldiers shall come and save you.

Well, no, not exactly sitting on the fence. While I do like the both of them just fine, I have found that I like vegemite just a tad better. This could be due to the fact that I had tried the vegemite first and got accustomed to the taste. It could just have easily gone the other way.

#328017 - Thu Aug 23 2007 05:46 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

I think the American company makes vegemite for the Australians because Americans won't eat it.

#328018 - Thu Aug 23 2007 05:25 PM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

The "If Marmite...then Parwill" is kind of clever. I don't know that it would take care of all the maladies caused by Vegemite that have been mentioned by Trojan11 though.

#328019 - Thu Aug 23 2007 05:30 PM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Ooops! Please don't blast me for the capital "T". I meant "t" in trojan11. I haven't received my jar of Marmite in the mail yet and I am sure it will cure my typing problems also.

#328020 - Sat Aug 25 2007 03:26 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Quote:

A quote from Wikipedia...

Quote:

Since 1923, New Zealand Marmite has been locked in a battle with Vegemite, an American-owned Australian spread with a similar appearance but markedly different flavour.

Obviously so good that no Australian company wants to own it!

I tell you, it's not fair! We get them their vegemite, we save their bacon in WWII, but do we see any legitimate meat pies (yes, probably the meat [processed dingo?] that McDonalds won't touch but they ARE good!) over here in the States? No! Sheesh!

However, kebab joint just opened down the street from my office. I will confirm of course but so far (we'll see if they grill-press those babies proper) looks like all is very right in the universe.

- William Blake

#328021 - Sat Aug 25 2007 07:18 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Hurry and get your replies in - I am locking this one down at 400 posts.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

#328022 - Sat Aug 25 2007 01:12 PM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
trojan11 Offline
Forum Champion

El Salvador

I tell you, it's not fair! We get them their vegemite, we save their bacon in WWII, but do we see any legitimate meat pies (yes, probably the meat [processed dingo?] that McDonalds won't touch but they ARE good!) over here in the States? No! Sheesh!

I do sympathize, I truly do. But I fear that you may expect no pies from Australia, unless they are appx 6' x 4' and contain the part cooked remains of several once living beasties, complete with blackened and revoltingly infested grill, plus, of course, residue charcoal flavouring. Nice, possibly, with cyanide. However, your reference to 'saving their bacon', is perhaps a tad unfair. Far more likely, I feel, that whilst there, you ate all the bacon.

Edited by trojan11 (Sat Aug 25 2007 01:15 PM)

#328023 - Sat Aug 25 2007 02:10 PM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Before Sue shuts this down, I just want to say I am extremely glad I saw this thread. I have learned more about packaged yeasts as foodstuff than I ever thought possible. I have received my first ever package (thank you again Sue!) from Jersey,Channel Islands. I have learned how loyal you all are to either your Marmite (Yaaay!) or your Vegemite. I have read some hilarious comments good enough to compile into a short story. Most of all, this thread truly made me finally feel like a member of the FT Forums. By the way, my squeeze bottle of Marmite came in today's mail and everytime I eat some, I will be thinking of all of you! Sandy aka "Newest Marmite Supporter on FT"

#328024 - Sat Aug 25 2007 04:47 PM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Well it is about time that this thread gets shut down I suppose. But I will be a loyal supporter of Vegemite, and continue to be.

#328025 - Sun Aug 26 2007 02:40 AM Re: Americans Ban Vegemite
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Can we open a new thread Sue? I don't think this topic is going to go away.
You go Sandy!

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943