Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#328188 - Tue Oct 24 2006 07:53 AM Do you speak Milcax?
pinopade Offline
Participant

In case it interests anyone, I wrote an article on Milcax.

Edited by pinopade (Tue Oct 24 2006 07:55 AM)

#328189 - Tue Oct 24 2006 08:16 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I glanced at it and to be honest I hope to goodness none of our members think it is good to speak like those examples. If you have checked the polls here on age ranges you will see that the vast majority of members of these forums are over the age of thirty, we have very few teenagers. Even teenagers ought to be able to speak correctly, that slang is appalling. Just my opinion.

#328190 - Tue Oct 24 2006 09:43 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Good God, they speak that cack in England as well. How it travelled about 10,000 miles so perfectly preserved is a mystery to me, it reminded me of the English slang still rife in Australia exported via convicts. Not such a different comparison maybe.
But it's a well written article, well presented and articulate. Regardless of subject writing well is a great talent and suspecting (?) you may be a teenager (just following the clues, you may be retired for all I know) if so you have already developed a very solid writing style, and having marked many essays over the years would have given that a very good mark.

It is sad the Californians and teenagers worldwide are destroying English as we know it, and now we at least have a reference manual to try and understand it! Milcax? I could think of so many names that describe it even better- fractured English, pardon?, barely-intelligble and sub-primate. I can honestly say I never spoke anything besides standard English or did any of my friends. It seems to single people out as followers and not cool whatsoever in my opinion.

#328191 - Tue Oct 24 2006 12:35 PM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Interesting. And as Satguru said, nicely written.

I can't say as I agree with the whole conclusion though. I live in the Bay area (and in fact went to Berkeley High many moons ago ) and I personally don't think there's anything really different about "Milcax". Most of the words that are used have been around in slang for umpteen years, but with ever-changing meanings. That is just the nature of slang. I was saying many of those things before I even moved to California and that was nearly 30 years ago. I think you'll find, too, that older people may use some of the slang words (probably mostly the ones they used as youth ) but I don't think you'll find them actually speaking this way any time soon--unless they desperately want to appear cool . And a good majority of those teens speaking that way now will outgrow it too...
But, hey, like, whatever dude, that's just me. I'm not trying to dis your article, I just don't agree with the concept.

#328192 - Tue Oct 24 2006 06:00 PM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I cannot accept what is, to me, utter drivel. What is wrong with our normal way of speaking and why make it unfathomable
to the majority? How do non native English speakers feel when confronted with that rubbish?

#328193 - Tue Oct 24 2006 06:59 PM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
prof_electro Offline
Explorer

Loc: Reno Nevada USA          
There does not appear to be a way of stopping this. Eventually much ends up in the parlance of the masses. True, it is sad but no more so than the corruption of anything noble.

I have more fear of mispronounciation becoming commonplace than this sophomoric slang.

I am equally disturbed with 'hella funny' and 'cool' as I am with:

Pataytah (potato)
Chalk-lit (chocolate)
Comfterble (comfortable)

Ew, that's a bitchin way to end an argument. It's not just our youth that is making a bummer out of the noble English language.

Edited by prof_electro (Tue Oct 24 2006 07:02 PM)

#328194 - Tue Oct 24 2006 07:30 PM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Hmmm. I'm wondering, did all of you speak squeeky-clean proper English when you were teenagers?
I know some few who did, but mostly everyone used at least a small bit of slang.
I know very few people who entered the "adult" world still speaking that way. I think this might be a bit of much ado about nothing, really. Every generation at some point bemoans the state of the language.
Just my opinion, of course.

#328195 - Wed Oct 25 2006 12:01 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

I cannot accept what is, to me, utter drivel. What is wrong with our normal way of speaking and why make it unfathomable to the majority? How do non-native English speakers feel when confronted with that rubbish?

I'm not sure how non-native speakers would be able to handle as ren put 'rubbish', but there were some of those Milcax phrases I have never heard of before, and they seemed annoying to me. I rarely use the phrases I have heard of, but when it comes to talking to some teenagers, it's all they understand...I'm not by any means saying all teenagers use it, mind you.

It is as the FT blogs page says, "The English language is vast and magnificent. No need to butcher it." I have to agree with that.

#328196 - Wed Oct 25 2006 01:44 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
Hmmm. I'm wondering, did all of you speak squeeky-clean proper English when you were teenagers?

I grew up in the Groovey Sixties and believe me it was only the very very few who talked like that and those were the people who probably can't remember them now if you get my drift?

If I ever spoke like the teens today to either my parents or my teachers I would have been given detention or I would have been sent to my room and grounded for a week or more.

I agree with Ren 100%.

Just my Opinion.
PF

#328197 - Wed Oct 25 2006 02:25 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Growing up I was asked if I was from England by most people that met me, I still have Europeans ask if I`m English,though I have grown lazy and don`t always use correct pronounciation. That said I had my own language as a teenager that astounded and confused many people. Reading the posted article I understood all the phrases and the latest "meanings" for older words. The only one that has ever thrown me is 'sick', I remember moving into a house that had young tenents and they were continually stating that something was 'sick man'. It took me a day to work out that sick was good.

As much as I love the English language I do realise that it, like other languages, is constantly evolving and as such what each generation chooses to say is correct. Language is merely a manner in which to communicate and new words are just like new product names, keep up or you`ll be left behind.

#328198 - Wed Oct 25 2006 04:08 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Humph, in my book if someone used the word 'sick' and wasn't meaning ill, then I would take it to mean that something in poor taste, such as a sick joke.

#328199 - Wed Oct 25 2006 05:00 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
What is realy scary is that some of the slang words we use, actually end up in the English Dictionary.
I don't think there is anything wrong with using slang as long as we first learn to speak correctly.

#328200 - Wed Oct 25 2006 10:11 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Not quite the same as 'Vicky Pollard speak' perhaps but kind of in that area. I suppose many young people may talk a bit like Vicky but hopefully, not too many of those behave in the same way.

#328201 - Wed Oct 25 2006 10:33 AM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Actually, I find some of it to be older slang than what they're using today.
You can hear most of that on an episode of 'Friends' or something so, the really thick Norcal slang as they'd probably call it is even more incomprehensible.

Many of the terms on there have entered everyday speech by people over fourteen years old.
Bush probably uses a few of those, despite his Yale and Harvard education.

I guess language is just like shifting gears though and you need to know some slang to be able to move around. If you are a teacher, you really do need to know how it's used.

#328202 - Fri Oct 27 2006 04:31 PM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
pinopade Offline
Participant

What a pleasure to get intelligent and courteous replies like these, instead of the kind I get on some other message boards! Some people can't disagree with anyone except by swearing or insulting them.

I'm 57, but if I say so, I wrote as well in high school as I do now. I'm good with English, and I love English. But I love slang too. I don't use it spontaneously myself, even in speaking, simply because I never developed the habit of using it; but I don't call it "wrong" just because I don't use it myself.

I think of these things differently than some of you apparently do. I see standard English and Milcax as two different things; you see them as one and the same thing in "correct" and "incorrect" forms. Milcax is different from standard English; so if "incorrect" simply means "different from," then of course Milcax is "incorrect English"—and standard English is "incorrect Milcax" too.

The Milcax speakers that I admire, and whose slang pleases my ears, are mostly middle–class and well–educated teens. They do know how to speak and write standard English, and they do so when and where appropriate. But in their own peer groups they use slang, simply because there is no reason not to. The fact that there are some times and places to avoid slang doesn't mean that there's anything intrinsically wrong with it.

In the streets, in their own rooms, in the coffee shop, they use slang. In school, if it's frowned upon, they speak without slang. But that's where your viewpoint comes in. You would say they speak "correctly" in school, implying that they speak "incorrectly" elsewhere. I say they speak "without slang" in school; "correctness" has nothing to do with it. With slang and without slang aren't the "right" and "wrong" ways of speaking; they're just two different ways of speaking.

So I would agree entirely with what Lady1 says: "I don't think there is anything wrong with using slang as long as we first learn to speak correctly."

Except that I would word it as: "I don't think there is anything wrong with using slang as long as we first learn to speak without it."

#328203 - Fri Oct 27 2006 05:20 PM Re: Do you speak Milcax?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Quote:

What a pleasure to get intelligent and courteous replies like these, instead of the kind I get on some other message boards! Some people can't disagree with anyone except by swearing or insulting them.

Thank you. We won't necessarily agree with what is being written by people and might give a strong opinion at times but you will never find people swearing at you here or insulting you, not unless they wish to leave us for good.

Our aim is for people to discuss the subject and not to make it personal, so none of this "you must be a cretin if you think...".

Good to have you with us.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943