Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#328644 - Thu Oct 26 2006 06:50 AM UK Clocks changing
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
While it is fresh in my memory, don't forget you in the UK, clocks change this weekend. for the confused of you, they go back an hour so you get an extra hour in bed on Sunday.

For me it means that the clock in my car will be wrong again, last time the clocks changed I ended up taking it to the garage as it was beyond me, I ended up in August 2008 and I only wanted to advance it one hour. My old car was so much easier, it didn't mess about with dates.

#328645 - Thu Oct 26 2006 06:58 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
And for the Australians ours go forward. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

"For me it means that the clock in my car will be wrong again"

lol, mine too. At the moment it's twenty mintues forward and come Sunday it will be forty minutes behind. I could change it but it's been like it for four years now and I'm kinda used to it.

#328646 - Thu Oct 26 2006 07:24 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
gtho4 Online   FT-blank
Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz†downunder†††††††††††
>> At the moment it's twenty mintues forward and come Sunday it will be forty minutes behind. I could change it but it's been like it for four years now and I'm kinda used to it.

LOL !

The other downside is watching live Premier League matches. They're on at midnight, but with DST they start at 2am and finish just before 4am. I'll be in la-la land.

#328647 - Thu Oct 26 2006 10:34 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia†USA††
Quote:

While it is fresh in my memory, don't forget you in the UK, clocks change this weekend. for the confused of you, they go back an hour so you get an extra hour in bed on Sunday.

They change in the USA on Sunday as well.

#328648 - Thu Oct 26 2006 10:46 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
peterparks Offline
Participant

I'm getting confused. lol. What time is it now? )

#328649 - Thu Oct 26 2006 11:00 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
That depends on which time zone you are in.

#328650 - Thu Oct 26 2006 01:53 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

It is daylight time until Sunday at 2am local time, then falls back to standard time. In the USA in 2007, the clocks will change the second week of March!

#328651 - Thu Oct 26 2006 02:19 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
ginnyrocks Offline
Forum Adept

Since I live in Australia, my clock turns forward. I hate it because it means I get up and go to school earlier, though it is good to have more hours in the sun after school.

#328652 - Thu Oct 26 2006 05:50 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England†UK††††
Iíve never understood why we have to fool around with our clocks twice a year.

If my fellow citizens want to do everything an hour earlier from the end of March to the end of October, then thatís OK with me. If I work from 9 to 5 in winter, Iíll work from 8 to 4 in summer. If my last bus runs at midnight in winter, itíll run at 11:00 p.m. in summer, and so on.

So why do I have to play silly buggers with my clocks? I donít like the suggestion that Iím too lazy to get up early when I have to. Still more, I resent the suggestion that Iím so thick that, if I put my clock forward, I wonít notice Iím getting up earlier.

#328653 - Thu Oct 26 2006 09:48 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia††††††
erm, if you don't wanna worry about changing your clocks, move to Queensland, we don't have daylight saving . . . "it'd fade the curtains", "upset the cows", and give us skin cancer! However, the Premier of Queensland has been told by the Cancer Council of Australia that an extra hour of daylight won't increase skin cancer rates . . . we just have to stay outta the sun between 11am and 3pm!

Which altogether means I have to remember to ring my Mum an hour earlier or else she'll be in bed!

#328654 - Thu Oct 26 2006 11:02 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Quote:

erm, if you don't wanna worry about changing your clocks, move to Queensland, we don't have daylight saving

Arizona and Hawaii also do not go on DST. I do, living in Texas, and it's annoying. I don't know about the UK, but as stated in a previous post, our clocks (USA) will move forward earlier next year.

I wonder how Halloween 2007 will pan out...as the sun will still be up then, since we change our clocks the first Sunday of November next year.

#328655 - Thu Oct 26 2006 11:17 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
Copago Offline

Ours will change back on the last weekend in March but I remember hearing somewhere that they were going to try and change it to a full six months of DST but don't know if that ever went through. I'm hoping that that who ever thought of that idea was well and truly shot down.

#328656 - Fri Oct 27 2006 12:25 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia††††††
Well it's on the Agenda again in Queensland, they're taking polls all over the place . . . it's stupid that the entire Eastern half of the country goes on AESST (Australian Eastern Standard Summer Time) except Queensland! Try living and working around the border, must be a nightmare! Those living in the likes of Tweed Heads and Coolangatta must tear their collective hair out every year at this time . . .

#328657 - Fri Oct 27 2006 01:43 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
Copago Offline

I'm in NSW and get TV from the NT, QLD and NSW - all different timezones. You never know what time anything is on

#328658 - Fri Oct 27 2006 03:23 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC†Canada
In Canada we will be changing our clocks back a hour but that's ok with me as I am usually up till dawn talking to Jersey and Hong Kong.

I loved it at home (Thunder Bay,Ontario) as it meant we go to stay warm for another hour in the winter.

PF

edited to correct a spelling error

Edited by PurpleFan (Fri Oct 27 2006 06:27 AM)

#328659 - Fri Oct 27 2006 03:38 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South†Africa††††††††††
We dont change our clocks here in South Africa. Used to think it was silly when I lived in the USA but after coming back here, it makes sense, even if it is only that you get some extra day light at the end of the day to play golf, have a swim or barbeque. I find the sun is up so early in summer there is no way you can sleep in!
Like most things it has its pro's and con's.
The sad part is that Jay Leno is on so much later its hard to stay up and watch.
Just need to remember so I don't phone my brother in the UK at 6am.

#328660 - Sat Oct 28 2006 04:54 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
fuzzypeg Offline
Explorer

Loc: South of England
I wish they'd leave the clocks alone. BST is fine. They say the clocks go back because of school kids. They could start the school day at 9.30 instead of 9, then we could have lighter evenings. I hate it being dark at 4 p.m.

#328661 - Sat Oct 28 2006 05:46 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
A helpful note to those that prefer to see their local time on posts.

Go to 'My Home'/Main Configuration/Display Preferences (the second option). Click 'Edit', and adjust 'Choose your time offset in hours'.

I have mine now set at +17, for the east coast of Australia.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#328662 - Sun Oct 29 2006 02:31 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Personally. I enjoyed my extra hour in bed this morning But it is a pest to change all the clocks all the time

#328663 - Sun Oct 29 2006 03:18 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Romania also went back an hour last night. To be honest, I never could sense much difference between (standard) EET and EEST, and I agree with TabbyTom in everything he said.
I wish 'they' wouldn't give us something extra to think about and deal with - we all have enough serious matters to take care of

#328664 - Sun Oct 29 2006 03:54 AM Re: UK Clocks changing
Heidi66 Offline
Participant

Loc: Neuss Germany
The clocks changed back in Germany, too.
But I didn't get more sleep...my son doesn't read the clock!

#328665 - Sun Oct 29 2006 12:15 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
prof_electro Offline
Explorer

Loc: Reno Nevada†USA††††††††††
Now if you really want confusion, try Arizona. They do not use daylight saving time unless you are in the Navajo Nation which does use daylight time. So if you are not on a reservation you will probably not use daylight time. If you are on the Navajo Nation then you are an hour off from the rest of the state unless you are on the Hopi Reservation, which is surrounded by the Navajo Nation, then you are an hour off from the Navajo Nation and in synch with the remainder of the state. So if you come in from California or Nevada, you will be the same time during the summer as the pacific daylight time zone because they are in the mountain standard time zone. Thus, pacific daylight is the same as mountain standard unless you are on the Navajo land then it is an hour off .......ah nuts, you get the drift.

To avoid all confusion during the summer, the best way to tell the correct time is check your watch, forget what you just saw and ask a resident of where you are.

#328666 - Sun Oct 29 2006 12:26 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel†Islands††††
How funny.

I had forgotten about the internal clocks of children, I can't remember how long it takes them to adjust, it has been so long.

#328667 - Sun Oct 29 2006 01:37 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba†Canada†††
In Canada and the US they are changing the time they switch to Day light saving. Next year it will be 2 weeks later in the fall and 2 weeks earlier in the Spring. This is suppose to conserve energy. I don't see how it will.

Homer Simpson

#328668 - Sun Oct 29 2006 01:53 PM Re: UK Clocks changing
Copago Offline

Quote:

my son doesn't read the clock

Agree! Mine didn't go to bed til about nine last night.

LOL at Prof! What a nightmare that would be. I live near the edge of a timezone and our major town is in the other timezone - it's only half and hour but when making appointments or just meeting up with mates you always have to check which time they are using.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943