Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#328669 - Thu Oct 26 2006 07:11 AM Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
When I was typing about my car clock being all wrong now it occured to me that the clock in my old car, circa 1990, was so much easier to change. I had a plus and a minus button and just held gthe relevent one until it was approximately in the correct area then jabbed it until the correct time was showing. Now on my last year's model car I have to mess about with a whole calendar.

My computer is fine, yes that is easier as it seems to know and changes automatically as does my dvd/vcr recorder.

On the subject of my dvd/vcr recorder, now that is another thing that has become far more complex. The old vcr I had was simple to set, but this one is like a flaming spaceship control panel, I simply do not have a clue how to set it. I just use it for timeshift and the programme I will be watching is the second one to start! So far I havn't been able to actually stop it recording until the tape or disk runs out.

There are no doubt other things around that are more complex now than they were back then. So is life easier with labour saving gadgets or not? Does technology drive you loopy?

#328670 - Tue Nov 14 2006 01:27 PM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm sure it does make life easier when it works!!!

Most of the time my computer works fine and I'd probaly have to go into counselling if anything ever happened to it. But when it does play up I could quite cheerfully throw it out the window.

My microwave is a good example of being harder to use than when they first came out. Our first model about 30 years ago just had a timer dial and a start button. Easy peasy and the village idiot could have used it. Now I feel like I have to get an engineering degree to use all the features of the newer ones.

#328671 - Tue Nov 14 2006 01:41 PM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Sometimes technology drives me mad - especailly if my computer isn't doing what I am telling it to do, or a new television/video/dvd recorder! If something goes wrong, I depend on Mum - she enjoys "fiddling" more than I do!

#328672 - Tue Nov 14 2006 01:46 PM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Most of my working life has been as an engineer in the electicity supply industry, directly involved in many types of technology from telecommunications to power stations. For years, I felt the need to get away from it all and 'back to basics', and I took quite arduous treks in remote areas of the world, where there was no electricity, running water (except the local stream or river), phones, vehicles, or even roads.
The people who live their lives in these areas are invariably happy and proud, and I admire them all more than I can say. There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that technology generally makes our lives more complex and difficult, and often causes us to get our priorities completely wrong!

#328673 - Wed Nov 15 2006 05:44 AM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
Dalgleish Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
If it wasn't for technology, I wouldn't have the lovely lady that I have now.

#328674 - Wed Nov 15 2006 06:05 AM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

Awwwwww , how simply sweet!
With me it's the damned printer. It gets called all sorts of rude things. It tends to swallow stuff it shouldn't and then get clogged up. The air is quite blue...

#328675 - Wed Nov 15 2006 07:34 PM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
I would clearly be lost with my mobile. Not only is it my lifeline to civilisation But it also holds all my photos and songs. It's obvious that technology has expanded considerably over the years, and i can't imagine my life without some of the items i've become so used to.

#328676 - Thu Nov 16 2006 03:43 AM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I hope you have it backed up then.

#328677 - Thu Nov 16 2006 04:23 AM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

Is 'she' a robot then?

only joking ---- really

#328678 - Thu Nov 16 2006 05:36 AM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
Dalgleish Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Why don't you ask her? She's here, y'know!

#328679 - Thu Nov 16 2006 07:37 AM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is 'she' a robot then?

only joking ---- really

Why don't you ask her? She's here, y'know!

Oh yikes, I didn't realise you guys were talking about me. Believe me, I'm not a robot of any kind!

#328680 - Fri Jan 05 2007 01:32 PM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
crimsonhawk909 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
Like everything, technology has pros and cons. You could argue either way. Productively, it's helped. Socially, it has helped and hurt.

#328681 - Fri Jan 05 2007 01:58 PM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Here's one thing about mobile or cellular phones. We've grown so accustomed to having them and having them work reasonably well, that, when they go down, or are lost, or the network isn't working, we freak out!

I even refuse to go to a larger store with my spouse without him taking his phone...because I know he's going to wander off and then complain about me wandering off and yet, I have my phone on me. Or he'll take it and not trun it on.

#328682 - Mon Jan 08 2007 05:21 AM Re: Has technology made our lives easier or more difficult?
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Well, I love my computer and all the nifty gadgets that make life more interesting but I can most certainly do without bosses/colleagues who think that one can be contactable day and night, weekends and on holidays even as one possesses a mobile and/or has email access. Even ignoring emails gets one a phone call as to why one has not responded to the urgent email. One gets very very tired of such people.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943