Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#336340 - Wed Jan 17 2007 12:21 AM Re: Weather over there?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I suspect that single digit temps means something different in Winnipeg than it does in Arkansas....

#336341 - Wed Jan 17 2007 01:44 AM Re: Weather over there?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Been seeing some of the pictures of the news about the ice storm in North America ... gorgeous, amazing stuff!

Today it got up to about 35*C and was really muggy and was going to be a stinker of a day but then out of nowhere it rained and rained and then rained some more (nearly two inches) but again it didn't cover all of the property, but about half which is just great combined with the storm on New Year's Day. SO half the place is still in drought but the other half is super - or will be when the grass gets growing. It also means we're stuck here for a few days untilt he water receeds off the dirt roads.

#336342 - Wed Jan 17 2007 03:23 AM Re: Weather over there?
Engadine Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sth East Qld Australia      
Wow Copago, you got RAIN??? Hopefully, if the long range weather forecasters are right, we should have the privilege of being 'flood' bound sooner rather than later too! And it doesn't take long for that green stuff to pop up, all our 'grass' is just brown and crunchy . . .

It's actually been quite mild in south east Queensland tho' . . . not too hot (high 20s to mid to low 30s), suits me just fine, I can't stand the cold . . .

#336343 - Wed Jan 17 2007 04:33 AM Re: Weather over there?
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Two inches of rain? That isn't rain, that is the opening of floodgates.

How wonderful for you, I hope there is soon some rain on the other half of the property too.

I bet your faces are a picture when it rains, almost like winning the lottery.

Now me, I could weep when it rains, which is just does most of the time at present. I have a leak in my garage and cannot fix it until we get a dry spell and some wood dried out so I can use some filler. Much more of this and it will bring my garage ceiling down.

#336344 - Wed Jan 17 2007 07:13 AM Re: Weather over there?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

Two inches of rain? That isn't rain, that is the opening of floodgates.

In the last week, we've had about 3" of rain, including the ice we received Sunday night. Today's forecast is a high of 30°F or 31°F (-1°C), and 1-2" of snow, with a snow advisory. It's currently 27°F (-3°C) and snowing. This weekend will see more rain/mix, as temperatures will struggle to reach 40°F (4°C).

This is one of the wettest January's we've seen here in Dallas. Our lakes have come up significantly (Lake Lavon from -16' to -12', Lake Lewisville from -11' to -7', Lake Grapevine from -15' to -12', etc.), but, as you can see, are still low.

#336345 - Wed Jan 17 2007 07:59 AM Re: Weather over there?
agony Offline

Administrator

It's wet here too - all snow, but more than most years. Bring it on, we say. We are constantly in a state of 'almost drought' these last 15 years or so - a dry winter can spell disaster to farmers and ranchers. This early heavy snow pack is exactly what is needed.

#336346 - Wed Jan 17 2007 08:12 AM Re: Weather over there?
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel Islands    
If I read that correctly it was two inches in the day, or just part of the day, hence me thinking it was heavy rain.

#336347 - Wed Jan 17 2007 03:28 PM Re: Weather over there?
Copago Offline

About 150 points of it was heavy and the other 50 points was good steady showers.(100 points is an inch ... 4 points is a mm. Our yearly average of rain is nine inches.) Heavy enough to discover some new leaks in the ceiling anyway ... right in my computer/craft room. Time for Jack to get up on the roof and hammer a few nails in I think.

"a dry winter can spell disaster to farmers and ranchers." We're the other way around, I guess .. .while winter rain in good and all and we've never turn it back we prefer summer rain as it grows hardier grasses. First hot day on winter feed and it starts to wither away but summer grasses will last so much longer.

Agony, what do they do with the stock with that sort of weather ... do they shed them? Put coats on? just leave them? Or something else?

#336348 - Wed Jan 17 2007 03:40 PM Re: Weather over there?
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I don't know how it affects you but when we get torrential rain it isn't so good as most of it just runs off into drains and presumably then out to sea. Steady rain is much better as it soaks into the ground.

#336349 - Wed Jan 17 2007 04:06 PM Re: Weather over there?
Copago Offline

We sort of need a bit of both. We have ground tanks (about the same thing as a dam) in each paddock and need the heavy rain to run the water into those ... they're big and can hold enough rain for two or three years. Two of our main ones, in the half of the place that didn't get the rain this year, are now dry from the continuous drought its been that long since there's been a good rain. It would take probably at least three inches of super heavy rain to fill them now. Heavy rain will grow the grass but as a lot of it does run off into the tanks or claypans the good soaking rain is also needed.

#336350 - Wed Jan 17 2007 10:35 PM Re: Weather over there?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I wish down under could get some of the moisture we've been having, Copago. It doesn't seem fair - I know you guys are in a bad way.

#336351 - Thu Jan 18 2007 12:36 AM Re: Weather over there?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

I'm again under a winter storm watch, as we have a chance of more sleet/freezing rain Thursday through Saturday. More rain/snow mix for Monday, then some warmer temperatures (more like back to normal temps).

#336352 - Thu Jan 18 2007 04:28 AM Re: Weather over there?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Me too, dg. We'll get hit by the same front around Saturday.
Of course you realise we would all be fired from our jobs if we were as frequently wrong as the weather guys are.

#336353 - Thu Jan 18 2007 10:10 AM Re: Weather over there?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
One word sums up the weather in the North of England... Windy . Doesn't effect me as there is nowhere to go, but feel sorry for people waiting for flights and ferries today

#336354 - Thu Jan 18 2007 11:21 AM Re: Weather over there?
fenian8 Offline
Participant

Loc: Scotland UK
At the moment 7 people have died in the uk as we are getting battered by high winds.Manchester city centre has been evacuated and most of the motorways have been blocked this is going to be followed by massive snowstorms which have already hit Scotland.Still won`t stop me going to the pub though lol.

#336355 - Thu Jan 18 2007 12:50 PM Re: Weather over there?
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Flights and ferries affected to the Channel Islands.

They are now promising us a cold snap so I guess I will be going to the shop to stock up on some food items to tide me over in case it snows or we get bad ice.

#336356 - Thu Jan 18 2007 01:02 PM Re: Weather over there?
trojan11 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Santa Ana
  El Salvador
Quite windy on the SE coast, 80-100mph at the last count. We heard a crash earlier today and looked outside. A very old tree, Chestnut I think, had crashed down from the Park opposite us. Being on the big side and right at the edge of the Park it took the small wall and three cars which were parked outside our place, with it, all demolished. Missed us by a small margin, thankfully. Fire engines and all that had to come because a chap driving by was trapped in his pick-up. I think that he's OK though.
I have remained inside today as I get the feeling that if I ventured outside I should end up like Mary Poppins, twisty-turny away into the clouds but without the brolly.

#336357 - Thu Jan 18 2007 02:44 PM Re: Weather over there?
agony Offline

Administrator

See, Sue, now if you had not cleared out your pantry you would be all set for being stormbound

#336358 - Thu Jan 18 2007 09:29 PM Re: Weather over there?
ElfTwinkle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Crazy Canuck   
The ice from Sunday night/Monday morning's ice storm is still on everything --- guess what, we're getting more freezing rain now.

#336359 - Fri Jan 19 2007 12:24 PM Re: Weather over there?
ace_sodium Offline
Prolific

Loc: India
Its pretty Cold out here in Chennai (Erstwhile Madras), India. Temperatures here have dropped 25% this time from the average. It's now reached 30 degrees celsius (positive, Not negative) and we are out of sweaters!

Boy, is the world going Crazy

#336360 - Fri Jan 19 2007 01:28 PM Re: Weather over there?
trojan11 Offline
Forum Champion

El Salvador
Almost got my 15 mins of fame. The destruction outside my home made its way onto national TV and 'even' found the front page in at least one of the national tabloids.
The really annoying bit, apart from the homeless squirrels, is that everybody ignored the poor sobbing old man sitting on the kerb with his begging cap between his knees. I had to work really hard on that homeless destitute act and didn't get so much as bean........heavens, I even wore my wife's old cardi.

#336361 - Fri Jan 19 2007 02:00 PM Re: Weather over there?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
We've got snow today - big fluffy flakes of the stuff.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#336362 - Fri Jan 19 2007 02:53 PM Re: Weather over there?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

There's rain in the area here, and temps at about 40°F, so still chilly, but not sub-freezing anymore.

#336363 - Fri Jan 19 2007 02:54 PM Re: Weather over there?
trojan11 Offline
Forum Champion

El Salvador
Today the council sent men around to saw the huge fallen tree into smaller pieces in order to facilitate removal. The noise was indescribable but I must admit that, for once, I am impressed with the speed with things have been done. The smashed cars and associated debris have all gone. Only the homeless squirrel remains.

#336364 - Fri Jan 19 2007 05:28 PM Re: Weather over there?
Anonymous
No longer registered

I actually enjoy keeping up with the weather report and watching The Weather Channel.
You all probably wont believe it, but we almost got snow here-in Florida just the other day. I'm in the panhandle of Florida, just about 1 hour drive from Alabama. In the past, it has snowed here, about 1 inch is the most.
Even though we didn't get snow, it has been cold for us-going down to freezing and below at night mostly. During the day been in the 50's mostly, with some days been not even getting out of the 40's.

I heard it snowed over in Malibu, California the other day.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943