Rules
Terms of Use

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#336440 - Wed Feb 14 2007 02:18 PM Re: Weather over there?
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Minus 31 C out there this morning, with strong winds. I am getting so tired of this, the kids haven't been out for recess for a week and they are going crazy. I'm letting my morning group play hockey in the room with stuff they've made out of construction toys, just ot give them some exercise.

My husband plugs the bock heater in on my car when he leaves, so that it has an hour to warm the engine a bit (we only have the one extension cord going out there). I was called in to work early this morning, though, so I'm really glad it started. Didn't want to, very reluctant, but finally turned over. The car seat was like concrete - frozen stiff. I can't chain the dog up outside, as his chain link is frozen - I have to stand out there for five mintues, warming it in my bare hands before it will open.

#336441 - Wed Feb 14 2007 04:21 PM Re: Weather over there?
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
It's cold here in Leeds, but being a big city, we never really get down to the ridiculous temperatures. I suppose, with being an island, we have the advantage of a maritime climate too. This morning, it was -5° in Leeds and -8° in Harrogate (where I work), but the day turned out nicely. Quite warm for this time of year and sunny. Right now, it's a cool February night out there. Might go for a smoke in a minute.

#336442 - Thu Feb 15 2007 09:36 PM Re: Weather over there?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Apparently it is now 27 days in a row that the temperature has been below freezing. This is the longest stretch of freezing weather, in my part of the world, since 1975.
They are predicting at least another 5 days of sub zero weather.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#336443 - Fri Feb 16 2007 07:21 AM Re: Weather over there?
agony Online   content

Administrator

Well, big changes here - Wednesday, the day started out at minus 31, by Thursday afternoon, it was plus 3. It feels like summer - people are walking around in t shirts.
Snowed some last night, so the roads will be bad, with fresh snow over yesterday's melt, which froze when the sun went down. I don't care though - it doesn't hurt to be outside!

#336444 - Fri Feb 16 2007 09:37 AM Re: Weather over there?
lynn-ann Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Cape Town South Africa     
Our weather in South Africa has changed too. Instead of the temperatures reaching almost 40 deg C, our day time temperatures are ranging from 19 to 24 deg C which is much more bearable. We have even had rain and the nights are getting chilly. This is very unusual weather for February, but I'm not complaining.

#336445 - Fri Feb 16 2007 10:03 AM Re: Weather over there?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
We had our coldest reading since December 2005 at 18°F (-7°C). Rarely does it get much below 23-25°F (-5 to -4°C).

#336446 - Sat Feb 17 2007 11:13 PM Re: Weather over there?
melliegrubber Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Forecast:
Overcast, possible rain.
Slight wind.
Top - 28 C [82.4 F]
Low - 19 C [66.2]

Beautiful

#336447 - Sun Feb 18 2007 09:37 AM Re: Weather over there?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Let us put it this way, my daughter and her husband were due to fly home this morning and now I hae hem until tomorrow at least, fog.

#336448 - Sun Feb 18 2007 10:36 AM Re: Weather over there?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Most unseasonably hot here, to the dismay of the local people who feel it is not good luck when it doesnt rain and become really cold and windy at Chinese New Year.Anyway, I am happy!

#336449 - Mon Feb 19 2007 01:26 AM Re: Weather over there?
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
It has been hot here for the past few days - 30 to 32C. Just checked the weather and today is going to be an (unpleasant) 34C and sunny. Good day to stay indoors on Funtrivia

#336450 - Mon Feb 19 2007 01:53 PM Re: Weather over there?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
It's the apotheosis of Spring here...glorious daffodils and other flowers, and I saw it was registering 74 in the car!

#336451 - Mon Feb 19 2007 02:09 PM Re: Weather over there?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

We're warming up, but it's still sub-zero and we're still surrounded by snow. I think it's supposed to be above 0 by the end of the week, so it's going to get wet around her when it all starts melting.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#336452 - Tue Feb 20 2007 06:35 AM Re: Weather over there?
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Another 32 C day here. It feels hotter than yesterdays 34 C

#336453 - Tue Feb 20 2007 07:51 AM Re: Weather over there?
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Well it's +4 and everything is starting to melt. The big mounds of fluffy snow are compressing as they get wet.
This is perfect snowball snow - I'm glad that I'm not on yard duty today!

#336454 - Tue Feb 20 2007 01:42 PM Re: Weather over there?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Low 40s C here and humidity to go with it. Ugh

#336455 - Tue Feb 20 2007 02:19 PM Re: Weather over there?
agony Online   content

Administrator

Minus 6 C and there was an ice fog overnight, so every twig and evergreen needle is coated with white. Blue blue blue sky.

It really is so perfect here today, wish I could show you. At the school where I work, we have flooded one corner of the yard, so there is a rink there - gym classes skate, and at free play times they just play hockey with their boots on, sliding. The big boys (11 and 12 year old) have pounded down the snow near their door, and play hockey there too, it's almost as slippery as ice! The main yard is well flattened from kids running all over it, and the odd corners where there still is softer snow have all kinds of strange little mazes and forts and tunnels that the kids have built. Lots of climbing and slinding on the hills made by shovelling the walks, and even a few brave souls sliding on the hills by the parking lot, even though it is forbidden to play there - too dangerous.

Sometimes winter here is deadly and miserable, but when it's nice, it's very nice indeed.

#336456 - Tue Feb 20 2007 02:28 PM Re: Weather over there?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

It really is so perfect here today, wish I could show you

Take a photo!

I've been thinking for a while that we should do a thing where whoever wants to join in take a photo at a certain time of day outisde their front door, say 8am on a Friday morning, and we could all see what everyone else is seeing. Anyone interested?

#336457 - Tue Feb 20 2007 03:06 PM Re: Weather over there?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

It's an absolutely gorgeous February day here. Currently it's 79°F (26°C), and very low (17%) humidity, but windy. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be in the 70's, but wasn't expecting that "almost" 80!

#336458 - Wed Feb 21 2007 07:59 AM Re: Weather over there?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Beautiful Spring day, even if it is still February. Currently 10.8°C.

As for the photos - good idea if we remember. We can post a link.

#336459 - Wed Feb 21 2007 08:13 AM Re: Weather over there?
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I like the idea of a photo, but like Sue said, I may not remember to do it. Plus, since I'm all over the U.S., every Friday I would be in a different State. Hmmm, come to think of it, that may be kind of interesting.

#336460 - Sat Feb 24 2007 09:44 AM Re: Weather over there?
agony Online   content

Administrator

Well, it's another glorious morning out there, so I did take a picture. I'll just get my husband to download it onto the computer, and I believe I already have a photobucket account somewhere so will resurrect that, so should have something to show you by later today if all goes well (spoken like a true technophobe, eh? I feel like I am undertaking a dangerous journey every time I try something new on the computer....)

#336461 - Sat Feb 24 2007 12:04 PM Re: Weather over there?
agony Online   content

Administrator

OK, let's see if this works. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/agony_04/Jan07005.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/agony_04/Jan07007.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/agony_04/Jan07012.jpg

The first image is taken from right beside my front step - that's my neighbour's car.
The second is looking down my street, from in front of the house.
The third is my house - the little old white one.

#336462 - Sat Feb 24 2007 09:30 PM Re: Weather over there?
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

The story of the day here was wind. There was so much dust blowing around that the visibility was less than 1/4 mile, and there was not a cloud in the sky! I was under a high wind warning, and with the winds sustained between 35 and 45mph, it was hard to get around.

#336463 - Sat Feb 24 2007 10:58 PM Re: Weather over there?
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
So windy here it blew the wreckage of a a small Piper prop plane across the street where it had been delivered for an exhibit. I no longer have airplane parts scattered in my front yard, after the fire department came out and cleaned it all up. Thank God nobody was driving past it at the time - they would've been sliced in half.
Heavy winds and a dust storm like I haven't seen since being down on the Mexican border years ago.

#336464 - Tue Feb 27 2007 03:05 AM Re: Weather over there?
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
It's raining heavily again today - not that I'm complaining, after last year's drought we need all the rain we can get in south east England. Yesterday was bright and sunny, and during the afternoon I went for a 3 hour walk through the Lea Valley Regional Park. It was great to see the streams and River Lea all in full flow, and the many lakes almost at capacity. Many migrant birds have started to arrive to claim their partners and nest sites, including quite a lot of great crested grebes. The number of mute swans seems to have increased substantially, even though they aren't a 'migrant' species. I saw several in flight, and various resident pairs are jealously guarding their local stretch of river or lake area.
It always irritates me when TV weather announcers say things like 'another great day' when it's going to be hot and sunny, or 'a miserable day' when rain is forecast. Do they all think everybody enjoys being hot and sticky, enduring the discomfort of travelling or working in sweltering temperatures, or that we all enjoy water restrictions, and dried out parks and gardens!

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943