Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#336601 - Wed Dec 13 2006 10:07 PM java and frames ?
WorldB Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island New York USA      
Working from my home PC, I am unable to see the clues for the crosswords that normally appear to the right of the puzzle. I can see the puzzle fine and I get the clue when I click on boxes in the puzzle but I have had problems like this where I get content on a following page instead of the same page I launched to get it.

I suspect there is a setting in my PC preferences somewhere that is not allowing this content to display. Any clue where I can find and change this option ?

Java information:
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_09
Using JRE version 1.5.0_09 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

Thank much.

#336602 - Thu Dec 14 2006 03:33 AM Re: java and frames ?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
The 'Java' part of the page is the crossword puzzle and not the clues, so I don't think Java would be the problem. What browser are you using?

While on the subject of Java, there is an update available:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

#336603 - Thu Dec 14 2006 10:55 AM Re: java and frames ?
WorldB Offline
Enthusiast

I tried the page with both IE6 and Mozilla firefox 1.5.0.8.

Thanks

#336604 - Thu Dec 14 2006 01:17 PM Re: java and frames ?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

The clues are written in an iframe. IE6 and Fx 1.5 should handle those OK. Since it is the same with both browsers, I think you need to look what is common to them. A pop-up blocker might be the cause, or maybe the firewall is blocking some content. I can't be sure but that's the kind of area that maybe needs looking into.

#336605 - Thu Dec 14 2006 04:33 PM Re: java and frames ?
WorldB Offline
Enthusiast

Have independently disabled firewall (McAfee) completely and reloaded the page and pop up blocker (same result) with no luck.

The only thing I can think of is that I've set something in internet options to prevent it. The sample pages showing all those iframes showed that content perfectly fine though so I'm befuddled.

#336606 - Thu Dec 14 2006 05:18 PM Re: java and frames ?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

I suppose it's worth emptying the caches of both browsers, although that would be a long shot since both browsers are affected. Nonetheless, simple things are worth a try sometimes. I can see that something in 'Internet Options' might affect IE but not Firefox, which runs as a separate browser. If you start Firefox in Firefox's Safe Mode (shortcut in the Start Menu) can you see the clues then?

You might consider an upgrade to the latest version of Firefox (version 2.0). It may not help but it's best to keep up to date with it anyway.

#336607 - Thu Dec 14 2006 08:59 PM Re: java and frames ?
WorldB Offline
Enthusiast

Firefox safe mode - no help.

I constantly clear the cache and cookies from Firefox ... that doesn't help.

Deleted the temporary internet files from IE, no good there either.

Going to upgrade Mozilla (nope).

Thanks for the ideas. Maybe one will hit.

Now that's interesting. Upgraded Mozilla & Java. Now only on pages with crosswords, the pulldown menus fall behind the puzzle and can't be seen.

Also in viewing the page source there is a close iframe tag but no open tag. Could that be causing the problem for me ?

Edited by WorldB (Thu Dec 14 2006 10:37 PM)

#336608 - Fri Dec 15 2006 12:41 AM Re: java and frames ?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

I'm rather out of ideas. I don't know too much about HTML code but can only say that the way the page is written works OK with Firefox 2.0 and IE7 in my own case. I suppose it must normally be OK in IE6 too, otherwise others would have said something by now.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29