Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#340739 - Thu Jan 11 2007 10:02 AM Rant thread
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Packaging. I have just tried to open a new dvd, trying to get the cellophane off is worse than opening a packet of biscuits!

#340740 - Thu Jan 11 2007 11:17 AM Re: Rant thread
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
DO you know my daughter actually enjoys opening those things? Whenever a new one comes into the house she claims the right to open it. I figure she's out of her mind, but I may never let her move out because I am more in agreement with you Sue!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#340741 - Thu Jan 11 2007 02:53 PM Re: Rant thread
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
How does she do it? Does she scrape it to cut it or just pick at the corners? There must be an easy way.

#340742 - Thu Jan 11 2007 03:05 PM Re: Rant thread
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
She cuts the shrink wrap but just picks at all the stickers - it drives me crazy!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#340743 - Thu Jan 11 2007 06:47 PM Re: Rant thread
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
I saw an ad for a new thing (can't remember what it is called), but it is supposed to help you open packages that are impossible to open. I'm with you, Sue, I can't stand opening those plastic packages.

#340744 - Fri Jan 12 2007 06:10 AM Re: Rant thread
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
*I'm not sure where to rant, so I'll pick here *
My beef this morning is, what else?, punctuation. I'm working on something and am once again giving myself a mighty headache. I know when you write "1953's Best Film was..." that it's written that way. Looks right. Yay. Then I get all flubbed up. When you type "The films of the 1950s" [I think] you write it like that. But it looks odd to me. "The films of the 1950's" looks much better but I'm almost sure it's wrong. Yikes . I'm ranting because I really should know these matters without having an editor correct me.
Rant, rant, rant...

#340745 - Fri Jan 12 2007 06:29 AM Re: Rant thread
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
You do need one of the editors to come by! I think it is one of the grey areas. If you were saying in the 1950s such a such happened there would be no apostrophe. With your example I think I would put it in, but don't take my word for it!

Edited as I am flummoxed too - ask an editor!

Edited by sue943 (Fri Jan 12 2007 06:38 AM)

#340746 - Fri Jan 12 2007 07:07 AM Re: Rant thread
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
You only need an apostrophe in there when it's a possessive. So "The films of the 1950's" should be without an apostrophe. After all, it would also be "The films of the women" and not "The films of the woman's".

#340747 - Fri Jan 12 2007 07:09 AM Re: Rant thread
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
It can be my thing to remember today.

#340748 - Fri Jan 12 2007 07:23 AM Re: Rant thread
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Quote:

"The films of the women" and not "The films of the woman's".

No need to get technical about it ! Just kidding...that's actually just the way I needed my brain to register it. Thank you!
I thought I had it right to begin with but then I started thinking too much. Am I the only foolhardy sort that does that? It's really quite irritating ....

#340749 - Fri Jan 12 2007 09:20 AM Re: Rant thread
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
Glad to be of help. Just glad it didn't upset you to get a grammar lesson from a Dutchie! And yes, I do that thinking thing too, irritating indeed!

#340750 - Fri Jan 12 2007 01:21 PM Re: Rant thread
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Opening things with cellophane on it...anything really! ...is a great annoyance of mine. They seem to do it on purpose, to make things awkward for us!

#340751 - Fri Jan 12 2007 01:57 PM Re: Rant thread
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
You can manage the CD plastic better than the containers for smaller appliances in hard sharp plastic, can't you?

I hate these containers.

The other day I was without my cell phone charger as someone stole it from my car a while ago. I bought another one but was already on my way home when I realized I needed to use the phone, but hadn't gotten the charger out of the package yet. I could not stop at that time and, I don't know how I'd have opened it even then if I had!

So, I found a pen, and put it on the bottom of the car and punched a few holes in the packaging, then managed to pry it open painfully without cutting myself...
All that with one hand!

that and the caps on the tops of pill jars for headaches that you can't open when you need one the most as you've got a headache so bad it's hammering your head!

#340752 - Fri Jan 12 2007 03:01 PM Re: Rant thread
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Oh I hate those oversized hard plastic containers Bruyere. I've cut myself on the broken plastic many times. Usually because I'm so frustrated trying to get them open I grab the small opening I've finally managed to create and just rip it. Of course my blood is every where and it hurts, just like a paper cut (oh I hate those too).

Homer Simpson

Moderator:  ren33, sue943