Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#351790 - Mon Mar 12 2007 10:52 AM Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Time for a new thread.

A high for me today I think, only a little one but still a high.

I just won a free day trip to either Guernsey or St Malo (Brittany in France). Shortly, not sure when yet as I have to telephone tomorrow, I shall be heading off for a superb lunch, possibly at the restaurant to which I went with Ren a few years ago. All I need to do now is get myself off to renew my attestation certificate (for health cover), I already have plenty of euros in my safe.

#351791 - Tue Mar 13 2007 12:57 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
nic1990 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
My high for yesterday is that i bought my first car!

It's only a small car that i didn't pay an arm and a leg for, yet it's still in great condition!

Another little high that made me feel good, was my team (Red) winning in our school sports day! As captain i felt overjoyed!

#351792 - Tue Mar 13 2007 02:28 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Wow ! How cool ~ a new car...my high/low for Monday can't even near such a "high" as that but yesterday WAS a most interesting day. I went to the local (small) store and was making my way in, wobbly as I manage to do that. Me and my cane and my rumpled demeanor were almost at the door and a woman and two children were nearby (the kids were probably around ten years old). There I was, struggling like crazy to get into the doors [I tell ya, I think they put those things on backwards - you have to pull the door to enter, which means that I'm generally grace-free as I try to master it while pushing the shopping cart, which are stored inexplicably outside the shop, and juggling the cane and pulling one way while maneuvering the opposite way, etc.). Anyway, this woman [app. my peer in terms of life-cycle] announces quite audibly to her kids to "hurry up and get around him, let's not waste any more time today..." Well, the dutiful little urchins went into high gear, nearly knocking me over, sending my cane airborne, doing some minor damage to my cart AND nearly busted down the door. The mother/grandmother smiles while SHE waited and said: "Don't mind them. They just got done with the dentist and wanted some candy before I take them back to school." OK. I may be a bit on the feeble side of matters but certain lights still work without an extra screw of the bulb...but I didn't mention that stopping for candy after a dental appointment might be a somewhat peculiar message to give the little tykes. Nor did I offer that the very last thing those children needed, by the looks of things, was anything digestable with sugar in it. No. All I could think to say is: "Perhaps you ought to keep a tight leash on that 'chocolate budget', you know? In a few years the cash might well be more useful when it comes to paying for bail and legal fees for those two!" I couldn't believe it, either! This woman actually giggled as if I was just kidding and/or being 'friendly'. Good grief indeed .

But the high point came shortly after. I went down to buy cigarettes at my local haunt and the guy there told me how "good" I looked - how the color in my face was far better than last time he saw me. Well, yay! to that. It surprised me, really, since I had been mostly sick all weekend and thought I'd scare the locals with a cadaver-like presentation. My conclusion? No matter how lousy you might feel or how marginally you might pilot your way through a door there's one sure-fire way to get some "rosy cheeks". Get terrorized by out-of-control pre-teens and immediately terrorize whoever's handy back. It works (even if they don't get the joke or appreciate the insults) .

#351793 - Tue Mar 13 2007 10:39 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Oh Gats that is funny (the rosy cheeck recipe). Sad that children to day have no respect for their elders. Hope you are feeling better.

#351794 - Tue Mar 13 2007 12:38 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
pollygw Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Lancashire UK
In contract to Gatsby, my high today was going with a couple of friends (retired teachers like me) to a local science museum and - horror of horrors - there was a school group there (9 or 10 years olds). BUT those kids were SO polite. They had a work sheet to fill in, and we were helping them, it was actually fun!

#351795 - Wed Mar 14 2007 02:55 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Well pollygw that is good news - there are some well mannered children somewhere in the world.

My good news is my daughter, who was hospitalized last week with a severe migrane, went to see a physiotherapist and is now a lot better. The bad news is we have not recieved the hospital bill yet...

#351796 - Wed Mar 14 2007 01:08 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
pollygw Offline
Mainstay

Glad to hear you daughter is feeling better, lady, and hope that the hospital bill in not too bad!

My low today is that I got an email from the Box Office Manager at a London theatre saying that the matinee performance we had booked for has been cancelled. He has offered us alternative tickets for an evening performance - but this means that we have to change our train tickets AND stay overnight in London, as it would be too late to get home after an evening performance (we live about 2 hours from London). So a cheap day trip is turning into an expensive outing!

However, my high today was getting 3 strikes in a row when we were 10-pin bowling!

#351797 - Wed Mar 14 2007 06:48 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

Sad that children to day have no respect for their elders.

The children in Gatsby's story gets under my skin. I am not a fan of children, or anyone, not respecting their elders. There was a day about a couple of months ago that I was at my local post office picking up my mail, and a lady probably in her 70's was coming up to the door (I was leaving at the time), and instead of going out and running her over, I held the door open and let her go before I exited. She was appreciative, and, I think, a little surprised. My parents instilled in me that I should behave in a civil manner, and when I have children, they will do the same.

There is NO reason that people should not respect their elders.

#351798 - Thu Mar 15 2007 02:51 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
My children hold doors open for people. I've never told them to but I do it and they follow suit. They do get rather annoyed when people don't acknowledge them though - a quick smile or "Thanks" doesn't hurt. I tell them that just because an older person has no manners it doesn't mean they have to be the same way.

#351799 - Thu Mar 15 2007 04:47 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I am not a mother but I don't like young children and teenagers being disrespectable to their elders either! I was brought up to hold doors for people, "Please" and "Thank You" are also a must. I've lived in the same area for most of my life, so there are older neighbours, who I have always called "Mrs (so and so)". These neighbours have often said I should call them by their first name, but habits are hard to break! I used to help out in my local Infant School (from 4 to 7) and Junior School (7 to 11), and I loved it. However the children got to much for me
But I am sure there are decent children around too.
Highlight of the last few days is going to a Golden Wedding celebration, of one of my Aunt's and Uncles

#351800 - Thu Mar 15 2007 05:41 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I think I should add, in regards to my little "store door" escapade...I didn't, even at the time it happened, really think the kids were so much at fault. I was a kid once, of course, and remember the reckless abandon that accompanies both a safe escape from the dentist AND the giddiness attached to free Clark Bars . The problem there was, definitely, the mother/supervisor. If you give a child permission, basically, to misbehave then you can't really expect any more than what you get from doing so.
I've seen my share of just wonderful youngsters in public, too, I have to add. It's pretty sad that it's the ones who "oops" (for whatever reasons) that stick in the memory banks more vividly than the majority of decent ones. Human nature, I guess?

#351801 - Thu Mar 15 2007 11:19 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Quote:

They do get rather annoyed when people don't acknowledge them though - a quick smile or "Thanks" doesn't hurt. I tell them that just because an older person has no manners it doesn't mean they have to be the same way.

I have to agree on this. We have become a society of rush, rush, rush, and we don't take any time to "stop and smell the roses" anymore. If something (or someone) is even 30 seconds late, people get antsy and mad. They don't think that there could be an issue in between point A and point B.

#351802 - Fri Mar 16 2007 05:16 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I have just had the most amazing high. My son has sent me a Mothers'Day card! This might not sound much to many but believe me it is really something. It has been a long time since he last sent me any card at all for any occcasion, and then no doubt it was prompted by his then girlfriend.

This is so special as he has made an effort, he chose the card and didn't just grab one. It is also showing a return of his sense of humour and thoughtfulness. I am thrilled, and in tears.

Edited by sue943 (Fri Mar 16 2007 05:17 AM)

#351803 - Fri Mar 16 2007 06:09 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Wow! Sue, this is the best news I've heard in a long time! (now I'm in tears too...)

#351804 - Fri Mar 16 2007 06:17 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Wonderful news Sue, may there be many more cards this year (especially for your special birthday). Holding thumbs for you.

#351805 - Fri Mar 16 2007 06:56 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
That's amazing news Sue, I know you hadn't been in contact for a long time and this will hopefully lead to more. Good luck

#351806 - Fri Mar 16 2007 04:42 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

That's fantastic to hear Sue - a really special Mother's Day gift
I am planning to spoil my extra special Mum on Sunday too.

#351807 - Fri Mar 16 2007 05:51 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
pollygw Offline
Mainstay

Great news, Sue. I was 'estranged' from one of my daughters for about a year (for various reasons) about 15 years ago so can really understand how you feel. Now my daughter and I are the best of friends - so hope the same happens for you.

#351808 - Sat Apr 07 2007 01:48 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Eeek . Quite frankly, the past week has been, in terms of rippling definitions, more often mildly bad than partly good (all stuff requiring more patience or sensibility than it required endurance, though) but I'm clearly certain that the lowest point I've had lately happened just an hour ago. Or maybe it was just the oddest and scariest? I had the most vivid dream (rarely do I remember dreams, even vaguely - almost never in terms of details). Yikes. It started almost at the end of some 'drama'. I was running [well, running as much as I run these days ] into this busy public restroom. I was frantic for some unknown reason and suddenly all the patrons in that bathroom hit the floor, laying down and taking cover. Huh? I went into a stall and locked the door and, in seconds, that door was being crashed at. As if someone was throwing their body up against it. It finally opened (splinters in place and flying, just to make it even more real) and a person of a very wild and insane variety came in and forcibly stuck a large pistol into my mouth . I'm sure this would fall into the generic category of 'nightmare' but there was something more unsettling to it than just the "fright factor". I could taste that gun barrel in my mouth. I could smell the soap in that restroom (and even the breath of the guy who was fixing to blow my head off). Add to all that that the perpetrator here was someone I was COMPLETELY unfamiliar with (but I will now never forget that face of his if I outlive Methuselah). And I've surely never had a gun in the range of my tastebuds, not ever (I had one stuck up my nose once, but that was a robbery incident and, even after that, I couldn't tell you how a pistol even smelled)! So latent recall had nothing to do with this - it was truly chilling, let me tell you! Does anyone else have dreams like that? It was like watching some gruesome movie, only partly sensible but entirely sensory. Honestly...I'm still trembling a little. And even a little offended by my mental fashionings, too. Not only was the 'gun' business entirely unnecessary, but that dude had some major foul garlic/beer breath, too. Jeesh, maybe I'd pointed that out which ignited this homicidal rage? Ugh, most entirely chilling...

The high point of the day (so far)? I think it finally stopped snowing over here. Good to know that the Easter Bunny may arrive without needing thermal underwear and wool mittens. I'm just hoping said bunny makes the visit, unlikely as it is, unarmed and with breath mints .

#351809 - Sat Apr 07 2007 01:57 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Chocolate City Wisconsinï¿œUSA
Yes, I've had similar (very vivid) dreams; also have unfortunately experienced some of the same in real life. So, total empathy here - you're not alone!
As for the snow, you're lucky. My mom lives in Ohio, and as of this afternoon, it was still snowing there...her bunny may need snowshoes and a compass!

#351810 - Sat Apr 07 2007 04:45 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
scarletrose Offline
Participant

Loc: Perth, Western Australia, Aust...
My high point for this week has been doing some volunteer work helping out on a telephone helpline. It's been quite rewarding being able to give people a little bit of hope in their days and trying to make a difference to them. Giving is a gift in itself.

#351811 - Sat Apr 07 2007 05:25 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Low point - having kidney stones and the added reation to morphine with it. *shudder*

High point - getting ready for the Easter Bunny! I don't know who is more excited, me or the boy!

#351812 - Sat Apr 07 2007 07:14 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

That sounds extremely painful Jill - hoping the kidney stones are where they belong now!
I hate having nightmares myself - but I think yours sounded quite vivid Gats! Always a relief to wake up again!
Highlight of today - as well as it being Easter tomorrow (chocolate chocolate and more chocolate ) me and Mum have booked a holiday, with one of Mum's sisters and her husband. We enjoy 5 day coach breaks so we are going to Exmouth, in June. It sounds a very nice place indeed with organised days out

#351813 - Sun Apr 08 2007 01:45 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Chocolate City Wisconsinï¿œUSA
Today's low for me was having to work an 8-hour shift with the worst case of flu I think I've ever had. Two bottles of pepto didn't cover it!
The best part was also at work, though: a regular customer bought a huge, "Happy Easter" bouquet we've had on display on the counter, with a stuffed bunny holding the vase, and he gave it to me!
Trying to pull what's left of the old body together, as I have another 8-hour shift tomorrow (which, by now, is really today).
Hoppy Easter, Everyone! (bad pun fully intended)

#351814 - Sun Apr 08 2007 05:05 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
How lovely to receive the bouquet, I am sure it really made your day.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 ... 14 15 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943