Rules
Terms of Use

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#352115 - Thu Jan 03 2008 05:28 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Nice one, ecnalumba! Will you keep them or will they go amazingly well with your uniform and you could wear them to work I think it I ever won domwthing like that it would just be so wasted on me I'd have to cash them in.

Yay to Great (in more ways than one! ) Aunt Jane!!

#352116 - Sat Jan 05 2008 09:14 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
First to picqero - so sorry to hear about your family member's death (and please forgive my lateness there ... I haven't looked at this thread for a while, it seems). My Mother died unexpectedly on Dec. 23, too - ten years ago - and it made the holidays so layered in confusion. Trying to keep an honoring sobriety about the loss coupled with also trying to keep a semi-festive feel, especially for the youngsters. Here's hoping you all managed the best of both things (such as they were) over there.

Anyway, though, my (way) LOW of the week just happened. I buy my cigarettes, bread, milk (and doughnuts, too, of course ) at a local drive-thru - which has been, for years (two and a half decades, actually) managed by my familiar face/always smilin' buddy. Named Kent. He's a fixture in this small town (his parents own a couple of businesses here, etc.) and, even though it may sound otherwise, he made a very good living at his job at the store. He owned a home, had two kids. Just a decent sort of fellow. Lots of pressure in his world the last couple of years, though --- his wife decided, in 2006, that she simply "no longer wished to stay married". Hmmm. In addition to that, she decided that she had no real interest in being a mother, either . Kent spent a year trying to get this woman back (can you imagine it?). This while pulling two extra part-time jobs to pay for day-care and so forth (she evidently "lost interest" in paying support, too). I saw him on Christmas Eve and he seemed OK. A little bit of holiday blues, but that seemed natural. While he'd stopped trying to put his whole family back together, he was still pretty sad that the kids would be having Christmas without their Mom (and he was lonely, too, I'm sure). I went down there today and asked how he was doing (someone else was on duty). They told me that Kent "stopped showing up" for work in late December. After 24 years of working there 50 hours a week! In fact, he had essentially just disappeared altogether - and no one knew what had happened to him beyond that (but somebody, somehwere HAD announced that he was still alive, but gave no more details than that). Really, folks. This is a decent, hard-working, genuinely nice and heretofore solid man. And he just snapped, I guess. And it really made me sad ... especially because there are SO MANY horrible buckets of guts running around in the world who have the poor judgement NOT to snap and continue running around being horrible.
So, as the new year begins, it seems the theme in my small village is to try to find the "good guy who seems to have gotten run over by bad circumstances". And you know what's funny (and almost refreshing)? Even though Mr. Kent might be seen as a low-life drive-thru beer jockey who did a MAJOR irresponsible thing in walking off his job and not explaining why, not one person is saying anything ugly or judgemental or cruel about him. In a small town like this, that says plenty for him. And, I think, plenty more hopeful things about this town.
But "losing" (or whatever) Kent was, today, a definitely low, low point. And sorry to have rambled so in sharing it. I'll be quiet now ...

#352117 - Tue Jan 08 2008 07:17 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I just found this thread after an age of not looking in it, and I find a very sad story from our Gatsby. That is so so sad. Is there any news about Kent? Is he still away from work? It is dreadful when tragedy befalls nice, decent people.
My story is also sad and tragedy has befallen a dear man whom I adore.
A little over a year ago one of my mother's dearly loved cousins lost his wife to cancer. She was in a lovely hospice for the last few weeks, which made her passing a little easier for him, but he was still heartbroken to lose her after about 60 years of happy marriage.
Now HE has terminal prostate cancer and won't live long. We are a small immediate family. My father was an only child (as am I) and my Mum had one brother. They are all gone now except for the 'boys', the 3 male cousins that my Mum loved so much. It is depressing that they are now going. We all have to die, but it isn't easy for those left behind , is it?

#352118 - Wed Jan 09 2008 12:29 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Thanks everyone for your sincere condolences. Malcolm was a great guy, and the life and soul of every occasion. It's his funeral on Friday (two days time), and we'll be traveling up tomorrow. We've other commitments whilst there, including collecting my wife's mum from a nursing home where she's been temporarily resident for two weeks - and has now been pronounced fit and well (at age 84)! Hopefully we'll be home early next week.
Your story of Mr. Kent was very touching Gatsby, and I hope he's located soon.
I'm also sorry to hear about your own sad loss Ren. it is indeed hard for those left behind, especially with a small family.

#352119 - Fri Jan 11 2008 12:24 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I am thinking my highlight of the week (perhaps the whole year so far, and, yes, I know we're only 11 days into it! ) will be tomorrow when me, Mum, my sister and her husband go off to London for the weekend. We're going by train, so no driving required, and me and Mum are going to see The Sound of Mussic, at the London Pallendium,tomorrow evening. Then a look around London before travelling back to the North Weast on Sunday evening. I am thinking that there is a lovely weekend is approaching ...

#352120 - Fri Jan 11 2008 07:00 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Sounds really great Jane, enjoy yourselves.

#352121 - Sat Jan 12 2008 04:02 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Oh Yes Jane, I can feel your excitement! Have a great time!

#352122 - Mon Jan 14 2008 04:02 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Home safe and sound And the prediction, it was going to be a lovely weekend was spot on! Travelling by train was a lot easier than travelling by coach. We had Connie Fisher (who was chosen for the part, on a reality show, "How Do You Solve a problem like Maria?") who was a outstanding Maria, and the whole show was fantastic. Yesterday, me and Mum spent a few hours touring London on a tour bus and seeing the sights before heading back home.
All in all, a great weekend was had by all!

#352123 - Mon Jan 14 2008 11:01 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
phoebe1966 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: manchester
My high of the day was getting free audience tickets for me and my daughters to see the filming of Britain's Got Talent on friday - I'm more excited than them, just who is the child in this house???My low of the day is the dress code "casual and low key" How am I going to catch the eye of multi millionaire Simon Cowell in jeans and a tshirt?

#352124 - Wed Jan 16 2008 01:07 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Next media success, before my next TV programme is on they've posted an episode summary which includes my photo!

It's available here if you don't mind seeing the summary in advance.

Edited by satguru (Wed Jan 16 2008 01:10 PM)

#352125 - Wed Jan 16 2008 04:53 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Jane, you are very lucky, I would've loved to see The Sound of Music live.

My high for the week is that I got my first job!
It is cleaning the waiting room and the office at the mechanics around the corner where my mum works. I can go there after school, spend an hour cleaning once a week, and come home $15 richer.

In extremely happy.

#352126 - Thu Jan 17 2008 03:10 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Gauteng South Africa          
Well done lioness it is always nice to have some pocket money. My first job was a sales assistant at a department store on fridays after school and saturday mornings. It was great having money to spend at the tuck shop at school.

#352127 - Thu Jan 17 2008 05:45 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Copago Offline

Nice one, Lioness! Hope it works out for you My first job was at Macca's - try and avoid that if you can ...

Sat - do you know if your show will be on here? Will have to keep an eye out for it. Funny seeing your pic, I want someone to be here so I can say "hey, I know that bloke!"

Glad you had a great weekend, Jane! Can't believe that came around so quick!!

Sorry, Ren.

Quote:

How am I going to catch the eye of multi millionaire Simon Cowell in jeans and a tshirt?

hehe! Accesorise!!!

My high was spending the weekend with my family - we only all get-together once (maybe twice) a year so it was great fun getting the cousins to know each other also. And when I got home there was a big box of craft stuff waiting for me.

No lows. Life has been very decent to me this last year for which I am very thankful.

#352128 - Thu Jan 17 2008 07:34 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Jill, at the moment the programme is just for WETV in America but if they can sell it worldwide they will definitely try to.

My high is yesterday for the first time I did an interview for a national newspaper. That is one major career move for anyone involved in the media and it's for a feature following the government's release of UFO files due to popular demand, which starts next week.

As soon as I get a date I'll post it in the lounge with more details. It's nice when things start to work out!

#352129 - Fri Jan 18 2008 11:21 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Thanks Lady1 and Copago. I am definately avoiding Macca's, and if I didn't want to, mum wouldn't let me go near there to work.

My high for the week, I have just been away to Pt Elliot for 3 days with my boyfriend and his family. The first night I was up 'till 11 talking to his sister, who is 2 years younger than me, but so much more mature than my sisters who are the same age. We went bodyboarding, surfing, and bike riding.
It was great fun, and I hope they will have me back next time they go.

Bodyboarding was excellent as well, except for when I was walking out to sea jumping the waves and a big one caught my board and pushed me over backwards.

#352130 - Sat Jan 19 2008 06:39 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
High of the week was definitely meeting my grandson for the first time, the low would be having to leave him after just a few days.

#352131 - Sat Jan 19 2008 06:44 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
He's lovely, Sue, and getting to hold him must be one of the highlights of your life. Maybe you can see him again soon.

#352132 - Sat Jan 19 2008 04:33 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Copago Offline

Welcome back, Sue! Hope you got in enough cuddles to last you and that you took heaps of photos. How is is going and is he as gorgeous as expected? (you're allowed to brag, as a grandmother it is part of the job description!)

High - three inches of beautiful soaking rain on Friday. Brilliant.
Low - we're nearly out of teabags and won't be able to go anywhere til Tuesday. God help us all if Jack can't have his tea!

#352133 - Sat Jan 19 2008 06:38 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I am planning on going back every few months - I think my son-in-law will be wanting a divorce!

#352134 - Tue Jan 29 2008 10:26 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Whew. My "high point" of the week (month?) is that it would appear I got my "identity" back. Thus my hijacked money back, too (most of it, anyway). What an ordeal ! As if all that confusion as to why anybody would want to filch my vitals (of all the available ones out there for the picking) AND sitting here feeling entirely violated for weeks, all is well. And I gotta say this, too: yes, the language barriers I encountered on the phone in attempting to sort this chaos out was more than 50% daunting. I admit, I thought (more than a dozen times), do they hire ANY people for these help desk positions who speak "regular" English (not that I'm sure what that is anymore)? The faster they'd talk the 'loster' I got, it seemed ~ but they'd very graciously repeat themselves for me, slow down, work it out. And, finally, no matter how awkwardly it all happened, they did their jobs excellently. In retrospect? They could have talked to me in pure 18th Century Norwegian (with some level of professionalism, of course) ... as long as everything got settled. Which they managed to make happen.

The "bad" (I reckon) news is that the aforementioned drive-thru/beer jockey Kent has been spotted. And ain't offering one, not even a bad one, explanation for his "disappearing act" (although I'm sure that somewhere, somebody has been given the "full story"). In many ways, this comes as a relief to many of the small-town locals here . Now they can be suspicious again, and say mean despicable things in speculation as to one of "their own". All's back to normal ....

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Jan 30 2008 03:01 AM)

#352135 - Wed Jan 30 2008 03:02 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Pretty big Highlight - if you care to see what day I joined Funtrivia, you'll see it was 30th January 2004 I'd been a member of the "quiz section" for about two years and we had just got the Internet at home. I'd had a peep at the forums as a guest. So the first forum I joined was here. I thought I'd only be visiting once every month - if that How wrong could I have been? I've "met" some wonderful people on the forum and even send Christmas Cards to two of them.
So really, my highlight was four years ago when I introduced myself on here - here's to the next four!

#352136 - Wed Jan 30 2008 04:39 AM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Congratulations Jane, heres to many more (than 4) good FT years.

Sorry to hear about your ID filching Gatsby. Unfortunately it is very common today. It has happened to us in different ways too.

#352137 - Sun Feb 17 2008 12:46 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Another year has passed, not for my birthday but my Funtrivia birthday. If you look to the left you will see the date I joined, and it's now 8 whole years since the computer arrived unexpectedly on my desk, I finally got an internet CD to work and I looked up trivia. Now if I could find a way to persuade Terry to open the oldest 'Why is the sky blue' pages I could wallow in some more nostalgia again. There are some I posted in Ask FT from back then though so I have a little to remind me of those times.
Back then it was dialup on the home phone and pay per minute so it was just asking and answering questions for a few years before they had flat rate access. Then no stone was unturned!

#352138 - Sun Feb 17 2008 02:29 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
lady1 Offline
Champion Poster

Congratulations satguru on your 8th brithday! Many happy returns to FT.

#352139 - Mon Feb 18 2008 07:30 PM Re: Good Night & Good Morning/Hi & Low of Day/Week
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks Lady1!

Well, after waiting 7 hours to see if it lasted the round, I finally got the impossible badge yesterday, and on my anniversary! Beating 786 people felt pretty good I can say!

Edited by satguru (Mon Feb 18 2008 07:30 PM)

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943