Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#358881 - Fri Apr 27 2007 07:33 PM What's your camera?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
With some of the lovely photos that have been put up in the "photo-s-day" thread I thought I'd ask what sort of camera you all have?

Mine's a compact camera .. as good as a you beaut camera sounds I really don't understand enough about all the bells and whistles of photography to use one properly .. so my compact one does the job nicely. It's a panasonic lumix DMC-LZ7 7.2mp and 6x zoom. Does everything I need it to do. It's quite new as I dropped my last one (another Panasonic) and killed it. Ooops.

#358882 - Fri Apr 27 2007 08:37 PM Re: What's your camera?
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
I have a Sony Cybershot 6 mega pixels with a 12 X optical zoom. I bought it when we were planning our trip to Australia and it took great photos. I have some great shots of the animals there. I have an especially nice one of a Koala, but I didn't post it as Ren has one there and I didn't want to appear to be one upping her. Perhaps I'll post it later.

Homer Simpson

#358883 - Fri Apr 27 2007 08:42 PM Re: What's your camera?
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Mine's a Canon Powershot A540 with 4X optical zoom and 6 megapixels. I've had it just over a year, and I love it.

#358884 - Sat Apr 28 2007 12:43 AM Re: What's your camera?
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
I have two - a Sony Cybershot and a Canon Rebel XT. Love the Sony and carry it in my purse all the time. The Canon takes really good pics. Hated losing my 35 mm Olympus (it finally bit the dust) and replaced it with the Canon.

#358885 - Sat Apr 28 2007 01:12 AM Re: What's your camera?
PurpleFan Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: New Westminster BC Canada
Mine is a Olympus AZ-1 with 3.2 mega pixels and 3xzoom.

Mine was a gift from a very dear friend.It takes awesome pictures and I use it whenever I can.

#358886 - Sat Apr 28 2007 10:14 AM Re: What's your camera?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
An Olympus mu (mu written as µ) 700 All-Weather. Mrs TW bought this camera for herself but it wouldn't print out just part of a photo that had been zoomed and cropped using the camera controls. It shows it as edited in the LCD screen but when it comes to printing what you see, the whole photo prints instead. She doesn't use a computer to print. The camera just hooks up to a dye-sub printer. She got a Canon IXUS 60 in the end. This one does what she wants.

The only thing I find awkward about the Olympus is that it doesn't have an optical view-finder. You have to use the LCD screen at the back to frame the shot. That's not so good on a sunny day. It's sometimes difficult to see what you're taking a photo of.

Edited by tellywellies (Sat Apr 28 2007 10:15 AM)

#358887 - Sat Apr 28 2007 10:46 AM Re: What's your camera?
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Mine's an Olympus Camedia C-370 (3.2 megapixels; 3x optical zoom). I got it a couple of years ago but I didn't make much use of it until this thread started. I got it because it was said to be a good camera for a beginner.

On the whole I prefer using the LCD rather than an optical viewfinder to frame the shot, but I agree with TW that it's a nuisance on a sunny day. At Herstmonceux a few days ago I found myself staring several times at the reflection of my shirt-front in the LCD.

#358888 - Sat Apr 28 2007 10:51 AM Re: What's your camera?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I have three, did have four!

The one I tend to use is a Ricoh Capilio R1 with 4.8X optical zoom plus 3.6 digital zoom. I also have a credit card sized one which I used a little when we met up in London, it is an Oregon CardCam. I also have a Benq DC C740 which is 7 megapixels with 3x optical zoom and some digital zoom.

The only problem with the Ricoh is the viewing screen is fairly small as it is quite old. It does have a normal viewer as well which is good in sunny weather.

Edited by sue943 (Sun Apr 29 2007 02:22 AM)

#358889 - Sat Apr 28 2007 10:58 AM Re: What's your camera?
romeomikegolf Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Rothwell Northants England UK 
Mine is a Fuji F10, 6.3 MegaPixels. I upgraded from the A303 last year. i also have a Pentax MZ-M SLR which I use for high quality or really long shots. I find SLR's much better for 'stopping the action' because of their higher shutter speeds.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#358890 - Sat Apr 28 2007 03:29 PM Re: What's your camera?
Yaarbiriah Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Jerusalem Israel
Right now I'm enjoying a Canon A430 4.0 megapixels. I find it quite cute but I still love the old fashioned completely manual single lens reflex where I had control over all settings. I got a lot of nice wildlife and action shots with those.

#358891 - Sat Apr 28 2007 03:52 PM Re: What's your camera?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

I have a Sony Cybershot 6 mega pixels with a 12 X optical zoom. I bought it when we were planning our trip to Australia and it took great photos.

Me too. Snap!!

#358892 - Sat Apr 28 2007 04:24 PM Re: What's your camera?
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I was very lucky. After seeing someone on a blog I follow do walking tours with his digital camera, once I found you could print photos as good as film I decided to get one. My neighbour told me Boots had a half price sale, I went and saw no sign of it, and they said it started that day and although there were no signs up they would have (I bet...) cut the prices at the till. That meant I was able to buy a £250 Olympus FE 5500 half price including a £5 gift voucher. 3 megapixels and 3x optical zoom, but in fact I only use half that except for zoom shots as unless I crop and enlarge the lower quality is fine. If I get a second card I'll take more high definition ones, but it also tends to jam up the albums and take longer to upload.
I've had it a year and a half now and stored well over 1500 photos, although I am running out of new ideas now I've got a lot to show for it, including 3 hardback printed albums.

Edited by satguru (Sat Apr 28 2007 04:28 PM)

#358893 - Sat Apr 28 2007 05:42 PM Re: What's your camera?
damnsuicidalroos Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Olympus C-750 Ultra-Zoom. 4.0 megapixel, 10x optical zoom and 40x digital zoom, I also got a 1.7 Olympus telephoto lens for it (you need a step ring as well). I purchased an Olympus tripod that I only ever use when whale watching and also a cheap little tripod that sits well on the car bonnet. I have a number of XD picture cards that I labeled 1,2,3,4 etc to keep them sorted and I keep them in an old plastic film canister to keep them safe and dry. It takes 4 AA batteries and I have a couple of spare sets that I keep charged. There is a remote for the camera but I`ve never used it Everything is kept in an old and scruffy but well padded camera bag with multiple pockets.

As much as I love my camera and the gear that goes with it it is only as good as the person taking the photo. I took several of the kids the other night (they were in darkness) and then realised that for the first time ever I had forgotten to take the lens cover off.

Some days after I have spent a couple of days taking pictures I find myself in "photo-mode", I`m looking at different things and taking snaps of them by blinking my eyes!

Edited by damnsuicidalroos (Sat Apr 28 2007 05:52 PM)

#358894 - Sun Apr 29 2007 02:30 AM Re: What's your camera?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I must admit, apart from when the children were young, I have not been a photo type of person. I still have a camera upstairs with the film from Ren's first trip to Jersey - I really ought to get it developed!

I bought my first 'real' digital camera some years ago and apart from the London FT meeting I didn't use it at all. I had the fun CamCard but again didn't use it. Then I bought this Ricoh and wasn't using it it much at all until this Photo-a-Day started, now I rarely leave the house without a camera in my bag and I take lots of photos.

I have to say I am enjoying taking photos and am looking at everything differently now, I think I am improving.

#358895 - Sun Apr 29 2007 02:39 AM Re: What's your camera?
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
The digital camera are extremely handy! Ours is a Kodak EasyShare CX6290. Very handy indeed, when on holidays

#358896 - Sun Apr 29 2007 03:30 AM Re: What's your camera?
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Yes, Sue, please get that film developed before it fades like me. Maybe we look younger in the photos. How will we ever know?

#358897 - Mon May 07 2007 01:47 PM Re: What's your camera?
gpenguin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi, USA
I have a Konica Minolta Dimage A200. I love it.

#358898 - Sun May 04 2008 02:02 AM Re: What's your camera?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Bumping up

#358899 - Mon May 05 2008 09:29 PM Re: What's your camera?
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA Australia      
I bought myself a Nikon D40x for xmas, its excellent, now I just have to learn how to use it properly.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy