Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Thread for our quilters.

#365612 - Mon Jun 04 2007 02:15 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Well I suppose someone should post in this thread! I am a quilter and thoroughly enjoy the hobby. I just finished my very first quilt. Only 15 years later.....

Someone once told me that in quilting it is okay to have more than one project going at a time. I have about 8 or 10 quilts going. It sure would be nice if a couple of those were intended for me rather than as gifts or favors.

#365613 - Mon Jun 04 2007 03:32 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Any chance of you posting a link to photos of some of your work?

I only ever made one quilt and that was really a bedspread. I handstitched hexagons, having cut them all out first, the finished size was huge, big enough for a five foot wide bed with it touching the floor on three sides.

When I don't have a cat about I intend taking up patchwork again and sewing some lovely silk fabrics that I have waiting.

#365614 - Mon Jun 04 2007 08:31 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Soon as I get some time Sue. I have taken photos of most of my quilts -- it's just a matter of cleaning the pictures up and getting them in Photobucket.

Edited by Jar_ (Mon Jun 04 2007 08:31 AM)

#365615 - Tue Jun 05 2007 10:11 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Tobyone Offline
Participant

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia       
Great to see a quilters' thread. Thanks Sue.

I've been quilting for about 20 years and had/have assorted dogs and cats - I feel the hairs give surface interest and texture so don't let that hold you back.

Looking forward to your pictures Jar. Do you favour piecing or applique or both?

#365616 - Thu Jun 07 2007 06:36 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Tobyone, I prefer piecing. I will applique and hand quilt if it is going to be a very special quilt. It's interesting that I do not mind hand work at all, it is simply that applique does not appeal to me.

If you do a search for posts by Jar_ you will find a couple over in the photo-a-day thread.

#365617 - Sun Oct 28 2007 07:18 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Well, I'm just about down in the dumps now. What with the sanding and all going on in my kitchen, I've had to pack up my sewing machine so the computerized components wouldn't get mucked up. *sniff* The breakfast nook was no longer for breakfast, by my quilting area. The new year can't come soon enough!

#365618 - Mon Sep 15 2008 12:26 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Only almost a year later, and last month I've finally gotten my sewing machine back up, been doing lots of sewing! Is there anyone out there that has heard of a pattern called "In Bloom?" It is a quilt with all different star pattern blocks (I think) done using floral fabrics.

#365619 - Mon Sep 15 2008 01:14 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I searched on Google and found various hits but as they seem to be commercial sites I haven't provided any links. There seems to be various patterns.

#365620 - Mon Sep 15 2008 01:23 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Yes, I tried that, too, Sue. There is a quilting book out there by that title. I have a friend of a friend that took a class (in the state of Washington no less) and they did a specific quilt which was called "In Bloom." I'm still hoping I can get more information from her, but that isn't looking too good. If only my friend had not sent me pictures of the quilt! It is beautiful and I would love to do it for another friend.

Quilt shops tend to be overly protective of their class patterns. However, unless they are "original" patterns, they come from somewhere. Since Washington is half a country away, it's not feasible for me to take their class. The least they could do (in my opinion) is make the pattern available for a price to people from out of state.

#365621 - Sat Jan 31 2009 06:52 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
helenwalland Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: South Normanton Derbyshire UK
A a new quilter - still not finished any quilt, I'm sure I shall find this site useful.

Whats the best way to sew triangular pieces together by machine without them stretching ou tof shape please.

Edited to change topic title back - Sue943

Edited by sue943 (Sat Jan 31 2009 12:13 PM)

#365622 - Tue Mar 17 2009 02:00 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
Here's a baby quilt I made.

#365623 - Tue Mar 17 2009 02:09 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
WOW!!! That looks great, I love the colours you have chosen Great work!

#365624 - Tue Mar 17 2009 10:23 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Oh my goodness that is stunning.

#365625 - Tue Mar 17 2009 10:33 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Lovely quilt bhs -- I like the way you used both the drunkard's path and the 9 patch. They really blend together well and certainly add interest. What size is it?

#365626 - Tue Mar 17 2009 01:04 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

It's 45" by 45"

#365627 - Mon Mar 23 2009 10:43 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

I was testing out a new technique. This is a photograph of a rose in my garden, printed out on fabric and then quilted. It is 4"x6". It was fun to do so I plan to make a larger one next week. I think it'll be easier to do a larger one.

#1027739 - Fri Dec 27 2013 03:13 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
This craft is gaining in popularity particularly in the UK. It will be lovely to see more of this craft.

#1062161 - Sat Aug 30 2014 01:55 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Dragonkin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oregon USA
Hey there, fellow Triviaites. I just inherited a sewing machine from my grandmother, and have so much denim laying around from dead jeans, that I've decided to do a denim lap quilt for car rides and use at my computer desk. My other grandmother gave me some similarly heavy fabric for a bottom for it. (the jeans legs have already been cut apart, and sewn back together in fairly even strips to form a large rectangle)

I've done sewing for clothes before, but it's my first time ever quilting, so I figured I'd ask - Do you guys think it will need batting? And if so, how thick? Also, will I need to sew across the quilt to keep the layers together, or do you think I'll be able to get away without it?

#1062200 - Sat Aug 30 2014 06:50 AM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I am no quilter, having only made one, but my thoughts are that with a fabric as thick as denim and with a similar thick backing I wonder if you will need it from a warmth point of view. I will put this question to some quilters that I know and see what they think.

Edited by sue943 (Sat Aug 30 2014 06:50 AM)

#1062259 - Sat Aug 30 2014 02:30 PM Re: Craft Circle - Quilting
Dragonkin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oregon USA
Thanks for offering to check around for me. My grandma is a bigtime quilter, and she didn't mention anything about batting, but I figured I'd ask around, cause it may have just slipped her mind.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong