Rules
Terms of Use

Page 11 of 19 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#369498 - Mon Jul 16 2007 07:19 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Here's one of my terracotta pots on the back of house decking, though you can't see much of the pot.
I always buy cheap or reject plants, in need of a little tender loving care, and they always reward me for the attention!

Edited by picqero (Mon Jul 16 2007 07:19 AM)

#369499 - Mon Jul 16 2007 07:36 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
This looked to me like small flowers inside a bigger one .

#369500 - Mon Jul 16 2007 09:22 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I went out today with the intention of finding Lilly Langtry's grave, then thought she could wait as she isn't going anywhere soon and I would visit the Pets' Cemetery instead except I must have missed the turning and ended up in someone's driveway. Then I got to thinking about the variety of graves and tombs available here. Tomorrow I will be driving past La Hougue Bie which a neolithic tomb dating from 3500BC so weather permitting will take some photos of that to be my grave photo of the week.

I popped into an old cemetery today and took some photos and was particularly amused by one grave which had an enormous weight on the top!

Then I got to thinking about those who didn't have graves, the poor unfortunate slave workers of WWII who were often buried in the walls of the places in which they were working, for instance the Underground Hospital. So I headed off for the memorial to these poor people and as it isn't a grave per se I am posting it here.

And to further honour these people, I am posting the following links.

French memorial plaque
Memorial plaques for Russians and Jews
Memorial plaques for Spanish and Polish
Garden of Rememberance

May they all rest in peace.

Edited by sue943 (Mon Jul 16 2007 09:31 AM)

#369501 - Mon Jul 16 2007 09:24 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Nice photo denni19 ..very colourful and detailed.

I think the cygnets in this photo are wondering where Mum's (or Dad's) head has gone!

#369502 - Mon Jul 16 2007 11:32 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Yesterday’s “Countryfile” programme on BBC TV was partly filmed in Jersey, and showed the underground tunnels that the Russian and other prisoners had been forced to build. It’s good to know that the dead are remembered.

The Royal Observatory moved from Herstmonceux in Sussex to Cambridge nearly twenty years ago, but the satellite laser ranging station stayed there, and can still be seen on this ridge of the Weald.

#369503 - Mon Jul 16 2007 02:52 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
While out visiting our city park we decided to visit our zoo, which we hadn't done in quite some time. Here's a photo of a young Reindeer. The zoo keeper brought him out so the children could get up close and personal with him.

He was very gently and seem to enjoy being petting by the children.

Homer Simpson

#369504 - Mon Jul 16 2007 04:18 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
We have been in the arduous process of trying to find a new place to live- this is a nice house that is top of the list...

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#369505 - Mon Jul 16 2007 04:48 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
Nice Greg!

-----
Agnes (JTJ)

#369506 - Mon Jul 16 2007 06:41 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Once upon a time Kingston was the county town of Surrey. Then in 1965 it became part of London and is trying very hard to become more urban than its truly urban neighbour. Not a good idea really. Here is a typical scene of all types of transport which has been confined to its exclusive roads, bus, bike and car. It used to be quite a nice place before they built the ring road this is taken on.

Edited by satguru (Mon Jul 16 2007 06:49 PM)

#369507 - Mon Jul 16 2007 09:19 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
Kapuskasing Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
--- That's pretty good, Satguru, getting that bike, bus and car all in one shot! Like MotherGoose, I have a picture in mind that I want to take simply because, as she said, ""Oh, Satguru will like that"

--- The Denni_ngham palace guard is wonderful!

-- Copago asked, "Has anyone else found that taking these photos makes you appreciate your surrounds a bit more and take more notice of things?"
Yes, and a month ago, I'd never thought how annoyed I would be at not getting a picture some days!

#369508 - Mon Jul 16 2007 09:27 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
Kapuskasing Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Sue, because of your astute observation that yesterday's mini golf pic was "in England" you win... hmmm, I think your prize is a large tin of industrial grey paint from the golf course!

Here, my golfing companion attempts to go through Ellis Island...

#369509 - Mon Jul 16 2007 09:53 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Well, I thought I'd join the classic car brigade. I think this is a '30 Rolls, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

#369510 - Mon Jul 16 2007 10:09 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Lovely!

Here's one of the bands that was entertaining the crowd on Saturday, flanked by yet another classic car. Can't identify this one, I'm afraid.

#369511 - Mon Jul 16 2007 11:26 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
dg_dave Online   sleepy
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia

This is the Dallas Infomart building just north of downtown on I-35E. While in a major traffic jam, I wasn't able to do much, so snapped the photo. I-35E at the Infomart is six lanes in each direction, and in actuality, all the lanes were moving at about 5mph...at 2pm! I-30 is two miles south of the building, and it took me 45 minutes to get to I-30 from there.

I lived here four years before I even knew what the building was called.

#369512 - Tue Jul 17 2007 02:42 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
While searching around for a grave today to take a photo of I took this one in case the cemetary photos didn't turn out. OUr old neighbours had a daughter who died on Christmas Eve in a car accident and this is a little monument they built in her memory. It's in the middle of nowhere and not such a bad view. There is a plaque on the other side of it.

Edited by Copago (Tue Jul 17 2007 02:44 AM)

#369513 - Tue Jul 17 2007 04:00 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
DakotaNorth Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
Here's a picture I took of pigeons eating out front of my house.

#369514 - Tue Jul 17 2007 04:21 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Ooooh Greg, is that a spare room I see?
Quote:

Yes, and a month ago, I'd never thought how annoyed I would be at not getting a picture some days!

Yes me too Kapuskasing, I am positively addicted!
What does your name mean by the way?

#369515 - Tue Jul 17 2007 07:26 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
The White Rock Theatre is the main entertainment venue in Hastings. It looks a bit smarter than it used to, but it doesn’t seem to offer much that I want to see.

#369516 - Tue Jul 17 2007 07:54 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

--- That's pretty good, Satguru, getting that bike, bus and car all in one shot! Like MotherGoose, I have a picture in mind that I want to take simply because, as she said, ""Oh, Satguru will like that"

--- The Denni_ngham palace guard is wonderful!

-- Copago asked, "Has anyone else found that taking these photos makes you appreciate your surrounds a bit more and take more notice of things?"

I am truly humbled there, thanks so much! And yes, taking photos has made me look in the gaps between the photos now and rather than just covering new areas when old ones appear used up I have my Flickr album groups that give me new ideas of different items to take in the same area. Gardens, ponds, buses, stations, I have now managed to stay in one place and get maybe 10 pictures where previously I would have taken one or two as I now see more in the same places.
The bus car and bike was half luck. I was actually a passenger in a car and saw the bus, there are always cars around but the bike was pure chance. You'll see the next one now which is on a very similar theme. So glad everyone enjoyed them!

#369517 - Tue Jul 17 2007 07:58 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The bus theme continues. Our red London buses remind us we are home when we return from elsewhere and others they are truly in London when they visit. For about 10 years they were all different colours when they were privatised, but the new Labour mayor fixed all that. In fact I believe it was the only good thing he ever did. This is the North Circular Road junction at Ealing Common. Anyone travelling in North London will find themselves on this road sooner or later.

#369518 - Tue Jul 17 2007 08:50 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
As a change to the normal 'pretty' plants and flowers, I'm posting this image of Britain's most dangerous plant, ie giant hogweed, see Hogweed
The white blooms and most of the foreground foliage are giant hogweed, and I see it quite often when I'm out biking.

#369519 - Tue Jul 17 2007 10:02 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Now I am a bit undecided. I went to La Hougue Bie to take a photo of the 6000 year old tomb for the weekly topic, and indeed I did, then thought ah, but the theme is gravestones, not the inside of graves! So I think La Hougue Bie gets relegated to here and I will post an actual gravestone in the other thread.

I drove into the parking area then went to pay and gulped at the £5.60 entrance fee. I smiled sweetly as I handed my money over and said "It is a pity it isn't next year already as I get my gold card (free entrance to all heritage sites) in November. I only want to take a few photos and will be gone in ten minutes, how about disabled, do I get a discount for that?" She ummed and ahhed and said she felt guilty taking my money so could go in for free.

So this is the inside of the tomb...

This one is inside looking towards the entrance
This one is the manmade mound over the top of the tomb.

I had to bend double to get in, it isn't for the infirm.

#369520 - Tue Jul 17 2007 10:52 AM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
That's somewhere we didn't visit on our trips to Jersey. Maybe next time. Wheelchair accessible is it? Some places like that are.

I thought this simple scene made an OK photo:

#369521 - Tue Jul 17 2007 01:27 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Nice shot TW. The car photos are great, I like looking at old cars, but I'm not very good at what the different models are.

Here is a photo of a Grizzly Bear I took while on safari at our zoo. I don't know if the expression on his face is a smile or "Look there's lunch."

The differences between a North American Black Bear and the Grizzly is of course the size, the Grizzly is much bigger but they also have that large hump on the back just behind the head. Try to run away if you see one is not a good idea, they can outrun a deer at close range.

Homer Simpson

#369522 - Tue Jul 17 2007 02:14 PM Re: Photo-a-day - July 2007
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
I returned last night from a trip to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. What gorgeous places these are. This is a picture of my 11 year old redheaded granddaughter being Anne of Green Gables! She had a wonderful time...

Page 11 of 19 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy