Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#376427 - Sat Jul 28 2007 07:56 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Dijon France via S Wales UK
In my part of UK we tend to say AUNTY rather than AUNT, and it is prounounced as ANTI

On a similar subject, at what age is it acceptable to address an aunt or uncle by thier first name - if at all?

Once I attained the age of 25 or so, a dear aunty of mine (who is also my god-mother) asked me to address her by her first name, as "Aunty" made her feel old!

I wonder how this is viewed amongst different cultures?

Edited by delboy22 (Sat Jul 28 2007 08:02 AM)

#376428 - Sat Jul 28 2007 07:59 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I called my aunts aunty too, but ahnty, not anti.

#376429 - Sat Jul 28 2007 09:12 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Roofoo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Wisconsin USA
My grandma says the word wash, warsh. She apparently warshes dishes, and has a warshing machine? Also heard the word sink, pronounced zinc. What is that all about?
What really makes me crazy, is my husband's housekeeping skills, or more accurately, lack thereof! The man will set his trash on the desk, when there is a trash can literally less than two feet from where he is sitting! Also, I think he tries to clean up after shaving, but he has never gotten all the hair out from around the "zinc"! It really ticks me off! I have a thing with hair, and he knows it! It's "like, totally" gross!

#376430 - Sat Jul 28 2007 09:43 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Zinc? Arr, that's what us zez in Zummerzet - an' parts o' Glawster too.

#376431 - Sat Jul 28 2007 10:11 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
I agree with many already listed,especially the misuse of words and total rudeness (I was raised to say Please and Thank you, even if I didn't mean it), but the one really getting to me now is "whatever". I am talking about the use of it as in: "I don't appreciate you leaving my gas tank on empty again. My (soon to be ex, but that is a whole other story!) husband then looks at me and sarcastically says"Whatever". This is so prominent in the US right now. I hear it everywhere! A few years ago, it was one of the main ways for a teenager to express total disdain and make it quite apparent you had no business breathing the same air. Now I hear it from adults all around me and find it VERY irritating. It is a "one word way" of indicating the other person is not worthy of being bothered with. Aaargh! The quotes in the air make me resist the urge to reach out and snap fingers off. My, I am sounding quite violent here and I am such a passive being. Need to get another cup of coffee...

#376432 - Sat Jul 28 2007 04:08 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
jericha Offline
Participant

Loc: Texas USA
What drives me crazy is those people who use the hands free things with their cell phones. Takes a while to try to figure out if they are talking to you or themselves. Which honestly I think they are talking to themselves.

#376433 - Sun Jul 29 2007 02:28 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
My grandma changes her "pilla" covers, and its Tuesdee, not Tuesday.

That kind of gets on my nerves.

#376434 - Sun Jul 29 2007 03:23 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Chocolate City Wisconsin�USA
It drives me crazy when, after I've closed the store at night and the parking lot is completely dark, the store is dark and the doors are locked, some dimwit will invariably pound on the glass and shout "Are you open?"! Grr!

#376435 - Sun Jul 29 2007 03:31 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
No Jordandog, you are completely justified. I agree with you . Snap on by all means.

#376436 - Sun Jul 29 2007 08:06 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
Quote:

No Jordandog, you are completely justified. I agree with you . Snap on by all means.

Why, thank you Ren! I am considering a "Snapping Party" and you will be first on my invite list. I am going to ask Sue to come also as I am quite sure the two of you together would do damage. Only problem is,those we snapped the fingers off would probably look at us and say "Whatever!"

#376437 - Sun Jul 29 2007 10:17 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
People who get books at the 'liberry'.

People who use the letter 'O' (oh) instead of the number zero. A valid phone number to them is 610-300-6410 "six one oh three oh oh six four one oh"

People I never met calling me by my first name (especially people much younger than I).

People who repeatedly say, "You know?" or "You know what I'm sayin?" during the course of a conversation.

#376438 - Sun Jul 29 2007 09:53 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Blinkybill Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia          

Quote:

People who use the letter 'O' (oh) instead of the number zero. A valid phone number to them is 610-300-6410 "six one oh three oh oh six four one oh"

You would be annoyed all the time then if you ever came to Australia.

#376439 - Sun Jul 29 2007 11:55 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Too funny! The words "actually" and "like" are contagious beyond Ebola. So easy to unknowingly insert them into your vocabulary.

The word which truly irritates me is "irregardless". Not even a word, yet people use it all the time, even people who are quite educated. Baffling.

And don't worry, I swear I had my fingers on the keyboard the whole time when I typed the quotes in!

- William Blake

#376440 - Mon Jul 30 2007 02:44 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
My local newspaper persists in employing reporters who can't spell, punctuate, and rely totally on spellcheckers for their copy.
The highlight last issue was
"refreshing fruit sorbet to refresh your pallet"
ARGH!
There are at least a dozen such gems in every single issue.

#376441 - Mon Jul 30 2007 02:55 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Quote:

You would be annoyed all the time then if you ever came to Australia.

Definately, I don't think I know anyone over here who says "zero", why waste the effort to say the extra syllable?

#376442 - Mon Jul 30 2007 03:06 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
I say zero when giving a number over the phone, for clarity, and tend to say 'o' otherwise.
Shame on me lol

#376443 - Mon Jul 30 2007 03:35 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
The traditional British name for the symbol 0 was nought. It was sometimes rendered as ought in popular speech. Hence Mr Micawber's dictum "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six; result - happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six; result - misery!"

When the telephone was invented, it was found that nought and four were often misheard because they shared the same vowel, and callers were advised to say oh for 0. The word zero was hardly ever used in Britain, and so it wouldn't have occurred to anyone to suggest it. Nowadays (maybe under American influence), Brits use the word zero more than they used to, but I for one still use oh for telephone numbers. And if I'm reminiscing about childhood evenings spent listening to Radio Luxembourg, I'll recall the wavelength as "two-oh-eight."

#376444 - Mon Jul 30 2007 03:58 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

I call the radio station I somtimes listen to one-OH-seven-point-one. It would sound weird if I said "one-zero-seven-point-one"

#376445 - Mon Jul 30 2007 05:22 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ren33 Offline

<whispers> People who spell definitely with an 'a'!! (sorry!)

#376446 - Mon Jul 30 2007 05:25 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I am another 'oh' person, sorry, it just comes natural. My local radio station calls itself one oh three (103).

TabbyTom's explanation is probably why. When learning my tables as a child it was 'nought times two is nought', never 'zero times...'

Edited by sue943 (Mon Jul 30 2007 05:26 AM)

#376447 - Mon Jul 30 2007 09:15 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
(Whispers back) I'm with you Ren. DefinItely and also sepArate.

And those perfect strangers who I've never ever met or spoken with insist on calling me hon, or dear. I simply respond with sweetheart! At least I feel like I know everyone here.

#376448 - Tue Jul 31 2007 01:14 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Be happy you only have to complain about the words "defanitely" and such...

I can't even begin to count how many times I see people write "would of done this" or some such.

And text-speak, shudder... it's easier to read the Rosetta Stone.

- William Blake

#376449 - Tue Jul 31 2007 03:34 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Awww, text speak is pretty easy to read, once you are used to it.

In out english tests at school, I was surprised at how many people spelt 'actually' wrong.

I'm with you Jar on the people that call me 'hon' and names like that. It feels a bit strange.

#376450 - Tue Jul 31 2007 05:35 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
cag1970 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Charlotte North Carolina USA
I don't think you have that kind of time...But here are my top ten which, hopefully, are self-explanatory:

1) People who don't drive fast enough in the left-hand lane (on a multi-lane highway).

2) People who use their cell phones while driving.

3) People who don't drive fast enough in any lane because they're on the cell phone.

4) People who ride an elevator one floor up or one floor down. (There are notable exceptions to this peeve, however, but they are reserved for extreme cases.)

5) Spacehawks--people who stalk you for your parking spot because they don't want to take the effort to WALK. (Again, there are some exceptions to this peeve, but very few.

6) People who walk slowly, especially a gaggle of folks talking.

(As you may have gathered already, I like to move briskly.)

7) Storefront charities/fundraisers. (I DO believe it charity and fundraising, but there comes a point...)

8) Rude people, in general.

9) Judge shows, especially Judge Judy, Judge Mathis, and Judge Joe Brown. (Thank God Judge Mablean is no longer on Divorce Court. I REALLY dislike her.)

10) Slow music. (Yes, I'm married. I love my wife. But if I can't drive to it, or imagine flying to it, there's not much point.)

#376451 - Wed Aug 01 2007 03:19 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ren33 Offline

Quote:

6) People who walk slowly, especially a gaggle of folks talking.

How about people who stop dead when their mobile phone rings. I now walk into the back of them, as I said. It is soo satisfying to hear that lovely clunk when the phone hits the deck!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943