Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#376452 - Wed Aug 01 2007 03:03 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
cag1970 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Charlotte North Carolina USA
Well, I've never had that happen to me, but it is rather annoying to see folks seemingly talking to themselves out in the open. You've given me a great idea!

#376453 - Wed Aug 01 2007 08:02 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

People who use the letter 'O' (oh) instead of the number zero. A valid phone number to them is 610-300-6410 "six one oh three oh oh six four one oh"

You would be annoyed all the time then if you ever came to Australia.

Definately, I don't think I know anyone over here who says "zero", why waste the effort to say the extra syllable?

I know that my soapbox gets very high.... *sigh*. You would think I would learn......

Occasionally, I work in the call centre that takes triple ZERO calls. This is the emergency number in Australia that people call to request Ambulance, Fire or Police. It irks me that the American number 911 is diverted to 000 so that idiots who can't remember what country they are in can access an emergency service - it reminds me of the scene in The Simpsons when Homer says "Quick, what's the number for 9-1-1?"!!! Sadly, that is true here.

I took a call a couple of nights ago in which someone had died after trying to call OOO - or triple O. This lead them in their confused state to call 666 - the same as you would when you are sending text messages (SMS here in Aus).

I get to visit schools and other institutions, and always say "Call triple zero in case of an emergency" - not triple O.

Sorry Lioness, I'm a bit of an anally-retentive nerd at times. I'll climb down now.....!

#376454 - Wed Aug 01 2007 08:11 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Mobile phones seem to be a pet peeve - they are also one of mine. Mine is necessary for me to have a life (I work on-call, otherwise, would be trapped in the house when not at work but on-call), but on days off or on holidays - WHAT PHONE? Leave me a message - I'll get back to you. Maybe. Depends.

I also hate those little GPS units that navigate for you. Now, as the most geographically-challenged person I know, these do come in handy when driving somewhere I've never been before. At work, it helps me get where I'm going without confusion or effort.

Cubby, on the other hand, turns it on to drive 500m to the local shops and back. THAT irritates me.

It also irritates me that the maps aren't always accurate and tell you to turn left into a street that no longer exists, or tells you to make an illegal turn into a street that is posted No Turn. Some brands get a bit snotty, telling you to make a u-turn and go back (Not going to happen!), and some take ages to recalculate a new route.

*Sorry, only got halfway down. Will recommence descent.....*

#376455 - Wed Aug 01 2007 08:15 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
ecnalubma, isn't there going to be worldwide emergency number at some stage or did I dream that?

#376456 - Wed Aug 01 2007 08:21 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

I haven't heard of one, but sure would welcome one.

It may end up like Esperanto - you know it's there, but no one wants to use it.

#376457 - Wed Aug 01 2007 11:59 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
On the news when increasing interest rates they say one half of one percent. What is wrong with .5 percent. It is unlikely to be half of 3 percent. Actually is my second one, mobile phones third, people who call into radio stations and don't turn their radios down. Better stop now or I might rupture something.

#376458 - Thu Aug 02 2007 12:14 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
On that note, Mountaingoat, I hate it when they rave on about how hard hit households are going to be when the rates go up one half of one percent and how x amount of people are going to be struggling and how the little kiddies won't be getting fed this week becuase of it. If your household is going to go under over a half percent interest rate increase then you are too far over your head in the first place.

#376459 - Thu Aug 02 2007 01:01 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
One of my pet peeves are electrical powerboards that have the sockets too close together. These days, many appliances have that large boxy thing (I have NO idea why!) directly behind the pins; this takes up two spaces on a powerboard.

With all the bits and pieces that constitute a computer system, I have had to use two 4-outlet boards instead of just one.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#376460 - Thu Aug 02 2007 01:03 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

People who use the letter 'O' (oh) instead of the number zero. A valid phone number to them is 610-300-6410 "six one oh three oh oh six four one oh"

You would be annoyed all the time then if you ever came to Australia.

Definately, I don't think I know anyone over here who says "zero", why waste the effort to say the extra syllable?

I know that my soapbox gets very high.... *sigh*. You would think I would learn......

Occasionally, I work in the call centre that takes triple ZERO calls. This is the emergency number in Australia that people call to request Ambulance, Fire or Police. It irks me that the American number 911 is diverted to 000 so that idiots who can't remember what country they are in can access an emergency service - it reminds me of the scene in The Simpsons when Homer says "Quick, what's the number for 9-1-1?"!!! Sadly, that is true here.

I took a call a couple of nights ago in which someone had died after trying to call OOO - or triple O. This lead them in their confused state to call 666 - the same as you would when you are sending text messages (SMS here in Aus).

I get to visit schools and other institutions, and always say "Call triple zero in case of an emergency" - not triple O.

Sorry Lioness, I'm a bit of an anally-retentive nerd at times. I'll climb down now.....!

Well, I'm occasionally guilty of saying zero when repeating a number over a phone, but I can see how the triple O thing would be a problem. I had always been told oh-oh-oh, but I was told that before I knew about the lettering on a mobile phone, and I assumed that it was numbers.

#376461 - Thu Aug 02 2007 05:29 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Another one that drives me crazy. When weather forecasters say that "we're going to have some weather tomorrow". Don't we have weather everyday? Maybe it's good weather or rainy weather or snowy weather, but not just plain weather.

Oh, and when someone who's ill says they have a "temperature". We ALL have a temperature, but if yours is higher than normal, you have a FEVER.

#376462 - Thu Aug 02 2007 06:03 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

I'm with you, ClaraSue. Add to "Temperature" the "Diet" thing.

ALL of us are on a diet - your diet is what you eat! Plain and simple.

If you are trying to lose weight, you are on a weight-reduction diet. Perhaps because they're are so many fat buggers out there who are too lazy to move their mouths to issue an extra few syllables is why we associate the word "Diet" with "Weight Loss".

Oooooh. I need a Bex and a lie-down after that rant.

#376463 - Thu Aug 02 2007 06:06 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
angelgirl62 Offline
Participant

Loc: San Diego California USA     
I agree with so many of these - and would like to add "should have went" to the list of bad grammar pet peeves!

#376464 - Thu Aug 02 2007 07:44 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
1312377 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: North Carolina USA
I can't stand when tv wants to show the same commercial over and over again. It's like a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio between those commercials and others.

#376465 - Thu Aug 02 2007 10:55 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Quote:

I don't think you have that kind of time...But here are my top ten which, hopefully, are self-explanatory:

1) People who don't drive fast enough in the left-hand lane (on a multi-lane highway).

2) People who use their cell phones while driving.

3) People who don't drive fast enough in any lane because they're on the cell phone.

4) People who ride an elevator one floor up or one floor down. (There are notable exceptions to this peeve, however, but they are reserved for extreme cases.)

5) Spacehawks--people who stalk you for your parking spot because they don't want to take the effort to WALK. (Again, there are some exceptions to this peeve, but very few.

6) People who walk slowly, especially a gaggle of folks talking.

(As you may have gathered already, I like to move briskly.)

7) Storefront charities/fundraisers. (I DO believe it charity and fundraising, but there comes a point...)

8) Rude people, in general.

9) Judge shows, especially Judge Judy, Judge Mathis, and Judge Joe Brown. (Thank God Judge Mablean is no longer on Divorce Court. I REALLY dislike her.)

10) Slow music. (Yes, I'm married. I love my wife. But if I can't drive to it, or imagine flying to it, there's not much point.)

My advice: Don't EVER move to San Diego. Not only is it the White Trash capital of the Western US, the overall population is so slow and ignorant/dumb (an average IQ of 78 or so, I reckon), it would drive you NUTS. The day (rapidly approaching) I move away from this city will be one of the happiest days of my life. Moving here for work was the worst decision I have ever made in my life.

- William Blake

#376466 - Fri Aug 03 2007 03:07 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Oh, and when someone who's ill says they have a "temperature". We ALL have a temperature, but if yours is higher than normal, you have a FEVER.

Whoops. *guilty look*

#376467 - Fri Aug 03 2007 04:10 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Another peeve - television on a Friday night.

Admittedly, I choose to do the work I do. The downside of this is that I am stuck at home of a Friday night. I can't do anything too engaging, because as sure as shootin', the phone will ring and out the door I go. No going off to the local (even if you're drinking water or lemonade, people look at you funny when you pull up in an ambulance....), because you just know that if it all goes pear-shaped, someone will complain that you were at the pub and will question your sobriety when you attended the case. Those turn into ministerials (letters from the Governor asking you to explain the situation) very quickly, and while Australia is a democratic country that apparently doesn't operate under European law, if you are a government employee, the whole "Innocent until proven Guilty" thing gets turned on it's ear.

So, it is my choice to be at home on a Friday night. What I hate about this is, THERE IS NOTHING EVEN REMOTELY INTERESTING ON - be it free-to-air or PayTV (And I have the Aussie equivalent of TiVo).

They all seem to be taunting me. The program screams "Hey Loser - it's a Friday night. If you don't have anywhere better to go, SUCKED IN!"

I'm at the mercy of someone with a social life who plans the telly schedule so that losers like me have to watch complete shite if that is what I choose (no wonder I have over 600 dvds).

Not only that, but when the inevitable happens and I get called in to work, I'm the schmuck who is neither drunk nor stoned and simply don't find the garbage on in the wee hours entertaining or amusing. Some of the rubbish on at that hour, I'm sure the programmers were drunk, stoned, or both when they decided what to put on then!

#376468 - Fri Aug 03 2007 06:14 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Lol, Friday nights I usually go to Gymnastics, its a good way to spend 3 hours or so, and I teach little 5-6 year olds before I start doing stuff myself. When I get home at 10 or so I usually go straight on Funtrivia and get told off.

All I remember being on friday nights was Big Brother, and I hate it.

#376469 - Mon Aug 13 2007 01:45 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

I'm appalled by the way people drive. Here's a hint or two - the rearview mirror is to look behind you, NOT to put your make-up on with, or to use to convince your badly-behaving children that you have eyes in the back of your head.

Oh, and that thing on the side of the steering wheel is the indicator. You use it to signal to other drivers which way you intend to go. Then, the idea is anyway, you go there!

Gives a whole new meaning to "Driving Me Crazy"!!!!!

#376470 - Mon Aug 13 2007 02:45 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

And the way people don't drive out far enough to turn when there is no red arrow. When the light turns red, if you go out far enough, 3 people can get through, if you don't go our far enough, only 1 or 2 people get through.

#376471 - Mon Aug 13 2007 04:29 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Yeah, Lioness, but people queueing across the intersection ALSO drives me nuts!

I'm so difficult to get along with.
This is the forum for petty complaints!

#376472 - Tue Aug 14 2007 01:22 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

As long as the other side has room to turn their way as well, then it is fine. This is when traffic is stopped in the direction that is being qued (I spelt that wrong, I know I did) across.

#376473 - Tue Aug 14 2007 01:33 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

I must add something else after reading another member's post, I wont mention names.

The whole, "me and someone did this"

It should be "someone and I"

I need to resist the urge to post and correct, which I will, it just annoys me a lot, and with my friends and family I always correct them.

#376474 - Tue Aug 14 2007 11:22 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
The driving habit which drives me crazy is when people stop instead of merging in the merge lane. If you can't merge, you should hand in your licence!

#376475 - Tue Aug 14 2007 02:26 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
People who say "scone" as if the "e" isn't there! It's scone, people! Pronounced like SCOWN! ARGH!

#376476 - Tue Aug 14 2007 08:34 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I hesitate to ask a stupid question...but, what is Queueing? How do you say it? Seriously.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943