Rules
Terms of Use

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#376477 - Tue Aug 14 2007 09:06 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Lining up, and it's pronounced Kew-ing

#376478 - Tue Aug 14 2007 09:06 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
'Queueing' is simply standing in a line. Eg- 'There was ten people queueing for a bus', means there were ten people standing in a line (or queue) waiting for a bus.

The pronunciation of 'queue' is identical to the letter 'Q', and 'queueing' is pronounced 'Q-ing'.

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#376479 - Tue Aug 14 2007 09:25 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
Thank you! I see it written a lot, but have never heard it, I guess.

#376480 - Tue Aug 14 2007 11:30 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
Sorry. Queueing across the intersection gets my goat. When the light goes red you shouldn't be in front of the line - technically you're run a red light if you've queued across the intersection.

People who do this annoy me - quite frankly, you're an accident waiting to happen.

#376481 - Tue Aug 14 2007 11:55 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Loc: California USA
Quote:

Sorry. Queueing across the intersection gets my goat. When the light goes red you shouldn't be in front of the line - technically you're run a red light if you've queued across the intersection.

People who do this annoy me - quite frankly, you're an accident waiting to happen.

Hear, hear. If there isn't space for your car, don't go across the intersection! Especially annoying when there are people in that queue who are leaving 5-10 feet of space in between cars. Help the people behind you out!

- William Blake

#376482 - Wed Aug 15 2007 12:44 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
That's another thing I hate - when I can't get into a turn left lane because the traffic in front is all spread out with metres of space within each car queued up at the traffic lights. If everybody moved up a little, and left less space between the cars, those of us behind could enter the turn lanes.

I am usually a very easygoing sort of person but selfish and careless drivers really get up my nose. I don't condone road rage but I can understand the frustration that leads to it.

#376483 - Wed Aug 15 2007 01:11 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Quote:

when I can't get into a turn left lane because the traffic in front is all spread out with metres of space within each car queued up at the traffic lights. If everybody moved up a little, and left less space between the cars, those of us behind could enter the turn lanes.

Ah, but that's how you avoid hitting the car in front of you when you are rear-ended. So you're the only one in the chain reaction accident that's not liable. (Well, I don't know your driving laws, but that's how it works here, anyway--the person doing the rear-ending is always at fault because it is assumed they were too close...)

#376484 - Wed Aug 15 2007 01:12 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Quote:

That's another thing I hate - when I can't get into a turn left lane because the traffic in front is all spread out with metres of space within each car queued up at the traffic lights. If everybody moved up a little, and left less space between the cars, those of us behind could enter the turn lanes.

I am usually a very easygoing sort of person but selfish and careless drivers really get up my nose. I don't condone road rage but I can understand the frustration that leads to it.

Exactly! You have to wonder whether how those people can be so completely oblivious to their surroundings.

Driving is like chaos theory in practice. One person disrupting the flow can cause a whole chain reaction of gridlock and general mayhem!

- William Blake

#376485 - Wed Aug 15 2007 01:12 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Quote:

when I can't get into a turn left lane because the traffic in front is all spread out with metres of space within each car queued up at the traffic lights. If everybody moved up a little, and left less space between the cars, those of us behind could enter the turn lanes.

Ah, but that's how you avoid hitting the car in front of you when you are rear-ended. So you're the only one in the chain reaction accident that's not liable. (Well, I don't know your driving laws, but that's how it works here, anyway--the person doing the rear-ending is always at fault because it is assumed they were too close...)

Funny... but there is some truth to that!

- William Blake

#376486 - Wed Aug 15 2007 01:53 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

I'm constantly amazed by how poorly many people drive. I know that in many states of Australia, you pass the test once, then you are set for life! It's appalling.

I firmly believe that people should be retested at least every 5 years. The rules change, and this would ensure that people are up-to-date with the current road rules. Not only that, but many would get a rude shock if/when they failed the driving test because they're terrible drivers.

I also think that if you are going to instruct a learner driver, you should have to take the test too. Otherwise, they just learn your bad habits!

Another peeve of mine is people being able to take the test in languages other than English. The street signs here don't come in other languages, neither should the test. Not terribly P-C, I know, but it is awfully frustrating trying to talk with a driver in an accident who doesn't speak English at all.

#376487 - Wed Aug 15 2007 02:11 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Funny... but there is some truth to that!

Not really. When you are driving, you should maintain a safe following distance (i.e. you shouldn't tailgate) but it's different when you are stationary (i.e. queued up at the lights). There is no need to leave several metres of space between cars that aren't moving in the first place.

When I was learning to drive by a professional driving instructor, we were reprimanded to leaving too much space between vehicles lined up at the traffic lights because it causes traffic to back up for miles - we were told it was selfish and unnecessary, and that if every driver did it, the roads would be in chaos.

Our traffic code doesn't specify exact distances for safe following distances because it depends upon factors such as weather conditions, road conditions, the speed of the other cars, your reaction time, the condition of your brakes etc.

I was involved in a five-car pile-up one time where I was the middle car. A guy rear-ended the car behind me and pushed her into me, me into the next car etc. We were all stationary except the last car. Even a generous amount of space between the stationary cars wouldn't have prevented that collision, given the speed he was travelling. His insurance company had to pay for the lot. It is true that each driver's insurance company sued the insurance company of the driver behind, but that in turn was passed on to the next insurance company. The "at fault" here is only an insurance technicality. As far as the police were concerned, only one driver was at fault, the one who was actually moving at the time of impact - the rest of us were not considered to have committed any offence.

#376488 - Wed Aug 15 2007 02:33 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

People who say "scone" as if the "e" isn't there! It's scone, people! Pronounced like SCOWN! ARGH!

Exactly, Flynn. Cone =cone ,scone=scone, bone=bone etc

#376489 - Wed Aug 15 2007 05:18 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Schoonie101 Offline
Prolific

Well, of course, MotherGoose! The purpose of that last post was a TOUCH of irony.

Your situation, in an unmoving car, of course that wouldn't be your fault if you were rammed into the car in front of you.

I must add, though, if you are in the ghetto, you should always leave a few feet in front of you, especially at night. Otherwise it is just too easy to get boxed in and robbed/carjacked. You should always leave yourself outs, just part of defensive driving.

And I would agree wholeheartedly that driving (and awareness) tests should be given every 5 years. Once people get to a certain age (55? 65? 70? I don't know), every year. I still think about that Weller character who killed all those people at the Farmer's Market in Santa Monica when he got confused on which petal to press down on.

- William Blake

#376490 - Wed Aug 15 2007 06:59 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
Quote:

Try having TWO left lanes and BOTH being full! There has been many a time where I was far enough back that I couldn't get into the left turn lane, and the lanes were 1/2 to 3/4 mile (800m to 1.2km) each (the new freeway going through has changed the setup since then)...and this is with all the cars almost packed like sardines.

#376491 - Thu Aug 16 2007 02:25 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

A friend of mine changed their licence over to a Queensland licence today - the day that their licence from a previous state expired. It was a 5 year licence that was due to expire at midnight - they strolled up to the counter, paid the fee, had their picture taken, and *VOILA* - a new five-year licence appeared like magic in her hands. No eyesight test (as was required for every renewal in the state she moved from), nothing. Incredulously enough, she learned that in Queensland, you can renew your licence via the internet provided your photograph is less than 10 years old! You can choose 1,2,3,4 or 5 year terms for your licence - so technically, you could not need a new photograph for 14years (and presumably an eye test for the same time)! My friend could go for up to 19 years without having her eyesight tested even in the minimalistic way they do it for driver's licences.

I know this doesn't sound like much, but once I saw a lady get the surprise of her life when she discovered she couldn't read the eye-chart in a NSW RTA office (and therefore couldn't have her licence renewed) and shouted angrily at the customer service officer that her eyesight must be fine, she had driven herself to the office in question!

Even worse, they didn't take her existing licence away as it hadn't run out yet - just advised her to get her eyesight corrected before coming back!

#376492 - Mon Aug 20 2007 02:59 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Yaarbiriah Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Jerusalem Israel
Oooh I can think of lots of things.

People saying 'awwwww!' almost as knee jerk reflex. (cringe, wince)

'you know?' about four times in a sentence.

People who use 'the (whatever)' when there is more than one logical possibility but expect you to read minds.

People who ask a question but lack the patience to hear out the answer.

People for whom it seems a major strain to say 'please' and 'thankyou'.

People who bring up the same objections in a discussion in a thread without bothering to read all previous answers attentively to discover that their point was already addressed.

Smoking in public, hammering upstairs after midnight, blaring music so loud in earphones that its tinny sound can be heard several metres away, people sniffing every five seconds during exams or jingling keys continuously during meetings.

How do I deal with all this? Calm breathing, only way.

#376493 - Tue Aug 21 2007 01:02 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

Quote:

People who say "scone" as if the "e" isn't there! It's scone, people! Pronounced like SCOWN! ARGH!

Exactly, Flynn. Cone =cone ,scone=scone, bone=bone etc

Funny, I always pronounced scone "sconn"
Scone pronounced like cone just doesn't feel right.

Quote:

or jingling keys continuously during meetings.

Oops, I'm guilty of that one there. I wear my keys around my neck on a lanyard, and they jingle whenever I move.

#376494 - Thu Aug 23 2007 11:52 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Speaking "like" declarative sentences ending with a question mark? "Like" I don't like it when people end a sentence speaking up? You know? I went to the store today? Actually, like, I wouldn't know? Whatever?

AARRGGH!

#376495 - Thu Aug 23 2007 02:50 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
How about: On here. When referring to any site they happen to be ON, people post: I've been ON HERE for one year. Why say on? You're already ON line, or you wouldn't be HERE! I'd prefer: I've been here for one year. Picky, I suppose...

#376496 - Thu Aug 23 2007 08:56 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

The use of 'off' and 'of' together drives me nuts. For example, "I got that information off of him" instead of "I got that information from him".

Even better, delete the "got" and make it "I received (or obtained) from information from him".

I see this quite a lot in the quizzes that are submitted here and I am compelled to correct the grammar each time.

#376497 - Fri Aug 24 2007 03:36 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

It annoys me when people correct something like "It really annoys me and my friend." and they say it should be "It really annoys my friend and I"

I always got told with other things, you don't say "Me went to the store" so why should you say "It really annoys I"

I'm not sure if it's right or not, but that's how my logic works it.

#376498 - Fri Aug 24 2007 03:43 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
The trick I was taught was to just try the sentence without the extra person and see if it still makes sense. "It really annoys me" works. "It really annoys I" doesn't.
I still have to use that sometimes, but it doesn't fail me.
Now, if I could only get the who/whom thing down without jumping through hoops...

#376499 - Fri Aug 24 2007 03:45 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

The only time I've considered using "whom" is when I was writing a letter. "To whom it may concern"

I use "who" much more.

#376500 - Fri Aug 24 2007 04:20 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

The trick I was taught was to just try the sentence without the extra person and see if it still makes sense. "It really annoys me" works. "It really annoys I" doesn't.

I was taught the same way, Taesma, and it really does work!

Edited by MotherGoose (Fri Aug 24 2007 04:20 AM)

#376501 - Fri Aug 24 2007 10:40 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
liopleurodon Offline
Participant

Loc: Manchester England
What drives me crazy is young childred screaming on public transport.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943