Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#376502 - Sun Aug 26 2007 01:54 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I think when it is proper to use "me" in place of "I" the sentence should still end with me: "It really annoys my friend, and me."

#376503 - Sun Aug 26 2007 04:14 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
I think it flows better off the tongue to say "me and my friend"

#376504 - Sun Aug 26 2007 04:42 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
It is incorrect to say "me and my friend". When talking of any others and including yourself , you always put yourself LAST, eg, " My mum, dad, auntie, cousins, the dog and I all went to the park." So it should say " It really annoys my friend and me."

#376505 - Thu Aug 30 2007 04:56 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South Philadelphia PA USA    
It is not the word or the use of the word actually that drives me nutso.

What really sends me over the edge is when the word definitely is mispelt as defiantely (fixed er um typo mentioned in Ren's post below). Drives me totally over the edge!

Definitely: Main Entry: def·i·nite
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: 'de-f&-nit, 'def-n&t
Etymology: Latin definitus, past participle of definire
1 : having distinct or certain limits <set definite standards for pupils to meet>
2 a : free of all ambiguity, uncertainty, or obscurity <demanded a definite answer> b : UNQUESTIONABLE , DECIDED <the quarterback was a definite hero today>
3 : typically designating an identified or immediately identifiable person or thing <the definite article the>
4 a : being constant in number, usually less than 20, and occurring in multiples of the petal number <stamens definite> b : CYMOSE <a definite inflorescence>
synonym see EXPLICIT
- def·i·nite·ly adverb
- def·i·nite·ness noun

Defiantly: Main Entry: de·fi·ant
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: -&nt
Etymology: French défiant, from Old French, present participle of defier to defy
: full of defiance : BOLD
- de·fi·ant·ly adverb

(Thanks Ren!)

----
Agnes (JTJ)

Edited by JuniorTheJaws (Thu Aug 30 2007 06:59 AM)

#376506 - Thu Aug 30 2007 06:42 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ren33 Offline

I must admit, (and I can see how it would annoy you Agnes) that I have never seen 'definitely' mis-spelt as 'defiantly', only as 'definately'.'Defiantly' is a new one on me! There are even people still spelling definitely wrong in this very forum! After all we have said!

#376507 - Thu Aug 30 2007 06:55 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

Lol! Ren you are right, definitely is usually mispelt as defiantely....that's what happens when a spell checker is used! Mistake caught and corrected!

Glad you knew what I meant.

-----
Agnes (JTJ)

#376508 - Thu Aug 30 2007 02:06 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
The is a woman on another forum I visit that consistently spells it "defianlty". Not sure how she picked up that particular spelling, but even though it's been pointed out to her more than once, she seems incapable of spelling it any other way. Oh well, at least I can tell who's posting without reading the name.

#376509 - Thu Aug 30 2007 02:42 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

The misspelling of definitely gets on my nerves.

Whenever I see it misspelled, I am tempted (but I do not do it) to send the person a message with the correct spelling.

--------
Agnes (JTJ)

#376510 - Thu Aug 30 2007 03:57 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I know that I'm one of the guilty party. Send me a PM to correct any misspellings. I don't mind at all.

#376511 - Thu Aug 30 2007 05:32 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
JuniorTheJaws Offline
Forum Champion

LoL! I would never do that Clarasue! Unless of course it was in a quiz I was editing!

----------
Agnes (JTJ)

#376512 - Thu Aug 30 2007 06:06 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
I must admit to letting spelling errors get to me - it irritates me that most children these days can't spell correctly. I still correct my son's spelling, and he tries very hard to spell correctly (he's a good son, who loves his mum and indulges her idiosyncrasies)!

My own spelling errors irritate me more than those of others, though.

#376513 - Thu Aug 30 2007 11:38 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
My dad is a very intelligent man (an engineer) but has a hard time in spelling. I know it frustrates him and he tries very hard to spell correctly also. He is retired from the work force now but still works at his spelling. Spelling comes easy to some people and to some it is a nightmare.

#376514 - Fri Aug 31 2007 01:42 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Spelling is my total downfall I usually write my quizzes in Word and then into the Funtrivia Quizzes. Dad was a great speller - he could pick out a spelling mistake from ten yards

#376515 - Fri Aug 31 2007 11:18 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
I have my best friend from Arizona staying with me for the summer. She is without a doubt, the WORST butcher of the English (or any other for that matter!)language I have known, but I love her to death. I'd like to have her type out a short paragraph for all of you on here and it would keep you busy for awhile picking out all the mistakes. I stopped correcting her a long time ago. I know I'm not going to change her. I did have to post in here again, though, because I've noticed in the last week or so she is adding a "K" onto the end of anything with a "T". Instead of K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Pet Smart (all stores in the U.S.) they have suddenly become K-MarK, Wal-MarK, etc. Arrrgh! Just had to get that off my chest. I can only imagine how Brenda would spell 'definitely'. She DOES pronounce it correctly.

#376516 - Fri Sep 07 2007 02:35 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England�UK���ï...
Smack my head too - please - because I'm in England and I say ahnt.

I grit my teeth when adults say uni. I'm almost used to adolescents saying it, but why can't their parents pronounce the other three syllables? Perhaps they think it makes them sound thirty years younger.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#376517 - Fri Sep 07 2007 02:39 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

oops
That was my first post, and it was a response to DakotaNorth's post on 28th July - because I missed the bit at the bottom that told me there were four more pages.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#376518 - Fri Sep 07 2007 05:46 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ren33 Offline

Hi Lesley and welcome! I grit my teeth when ANYone says 'uni' It is just another example of laziness, and I don't think anyone should use it, be they adult or teenager.

#376519 - Fri Sep 07 2007 07:24 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Thank you, Ren. I see why I'm described as "Learning the ropes..."

A few people have mentioned politeness on these pages. I've always said Please and Thank You and (don't faint) Sorry to my son, and ignored the people who said I didn't need to, because he's my son and he has to do what I tell him, and apologising weakens my position. I also asked him to say Sorry when I thought it was appropriate, ignoring the people who told me it was harsh and unkind. When he was ten, I went to buy something for him, and asked the shop assistant if she could remember him coming in. Oh yes, she said: he's the polite one.

His old teacher used to make her class of seven-year-olds stop and greet any adult who came into the room, until visiting adults told her there was no need. Now she has student teachers who come into the classroom first thing, sling their bags down, and sit silently, scowling, waiting for instructions. Then, at home time, they leave without a word.

Bit of a ramble but here's what I'm wondering: if we believe that manners are important, why do we make it so difficult for our children to learn them?

I'm also wondering if the people who don't say Please and Thank You are the same people who don't signal!

#376520 - Sat Sep 08 2007 07:55 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
I cannot imagine not saying 'I'm sorry' to one of my children when I've been wrong about something. It doesn't weaken my position - just strengthens it. It teaches them about what I think of as 'good pride' and 'bad pride'. Good pride admits when it's been mistaken, and as a result all my kids will come to me after a fight and apologise when they've been rude without being asked.

On the other hand, I know of somebody fairly close to me who was raised by a hard, unbending father who never hugged or otherwise took note of his kids -let alone apologised. This now grown man has only started saying 'I'm sorry' in the last few months [ I've known him ten years] and I'm in shock. But it's so nice to hear and makes me think much more of him as a person.

#376521 - Sat Sep 08 2007 08:22 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ren33 Offline

Quote:

It doesn't weaken my position - just strengthens it.

I think it does too. What we are talking about here is respect, something all too missing today from adults to children and from children to adults.I agree , it is so ,so important to say sorry to your children when you are wrong. Children won't learn it by being instructed to do it, they will only learn it with a good role model. If more of the local parents stood up in the train to give their seat to an elderly person, then more children would do it. No amount of notices on the walls of the bus will help in encouraging that sort of respect. That is one of my pet moans here. The children are encouraged to rush onto the train, ahead of others to get a seat for themselves. It is awful to see.
I have lots of peeves about the lack of manners and respect shown here. I could write a book.

#376522 - Sun Sep 09 2007 06:13 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Grrrr. Today my pet peeve is questions that are asked over and over again. Instead of reading the guidelines, or searching for a subject that has already been covered numerous times, just start posting the question again.

As for spelling, numberous instead of numerous.....

#376523 - Thu Sep 27 2007 02:40 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
crissy1010 Offline
Participant

Loc: Florida USA
Ive got one for you , the office I used to work in had a 20 yr old prima donna who gossiped constantly about her family, friends, coworkers,customers and of course she was always telling all of them what the best way was to run their lives (20 yrs old is a lot of experience let me tell you)and if you didnt agree with her she would constantly say the word "annoying" as in "oh she's so annoying or you are so annoying!" every 10 minutes I'm not kidding. Then one day a customer came in the office and Linzey was well being true to form and this customer was at least in her early 60's. I saw the impatience yet intelligence in the womans eyes. She had to listen to this 20 yr old talk to her as if she were an imbecile and a child. When Linzey was finished her little lecture the woman simply looked her straight in the eye and said "You know I don't know how I have functined for 62 years with out the "annoying" display of utter ignorance and rudeness of a child who thinks she is Gods answer to Dear Abby or maybe even God himself!" And with that the woman turned on her heel and told the secretary to let the owner know she didnt realize that her hard earned money was going to a babysitting service! I could have jumped up and kissed the woman! We all have had the greatest affection for that woman ever since. Poor Linzey didnt get it at all, she said when the lady left was "how rude and annoying,,,," Unbelievable!

#376524 - Tue Oct 02 2007 08:58 PM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
I am starting to hate school holidays.

It's the equivalent of spring break here, and after an accident on-road, I'm taking 000 calls for a little while.

The vast number of children making prank calls to emergency lines is both overwhelming and frustrating.

I'm getting so sick of puerile teenagers who find it amusing to call 000 and pretend to be a small child and then use foul and abusive language - although they are probably a better than the little toads who are out there actually lighting fires in their spare time.

I'm tired of the hang-ups and the stupid twaddle that is going on simply because it is school holidays. I'm well over parents who are too cheap to pay a babysitter for their kids, but who give them a mobile phone because it is both a cheaper option and makes the parents feel secure. If you were to raise your children right, and make sure they were appropriately supervised, the world would be a much better place long-term.

#376525 - Fri Oct 05 2007 09:49 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
toadette Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Port Dover Ontario Canada
"The good stuff just got gooder"

so says an advertisement from a major brewery. I don't know if it will be a series of ads, but I hope they will eventually correct their English.

#376526 - Sun Oct 07 2007 03:04 AM Re: Actually it is driving me crazy!
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I will spell definitely definItely.

Just my soap box for today!

June

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943