Rules
Terms of Use

Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#377728 - Thu Aug 30 2007 04:24 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Oooh I love that buffalo, Clarasue!
Here is one of the students at the school where I am going to pick up my drawing and painting again, and hopefully some photography tips.

#377729 - Thu Aug 30 2007 04:29 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
A work in progress. Since taking this photo I've finally finished and given it to the person intended. It is in the hoop as I hand quilted it. If I can get it back on loan, I'll show the finished product. The bit of floral you can just see at the top is the backing and will match the area where she is placing it.

In detail

#377730 - Thu Aug 30 2007 06:25 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I was always told that when taking photos, if the size of an object is in question, put something in the frame that will give a size reference. That is quite a large hoop, isn't it Jar? Those are your toes peeking out from the bottom, aren't they? Beautiful, by the way.

Dave, if you're a gambling man, you should try your luck in Choctaw. The hubby and I both did pretty well there last night.

These two elk are right outside the hotel.

#377731 - Thu Aug 30 2007 06:52 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
shavsy Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Oldbury West Midlands UK
Another picture from our visit to Dudley Zoo and Castle. This is an original bit of the castle. Was hoping to get more pictures of it but my batteries ran out

#377732 - Thu Aug 30 2007 07:40 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Quote:

Those are your toes peeking out from the bottom, aren't they? Beautiful, by the way.

Clara Sue, I didn't even notice the toesies. I hope your are refering to the quilt, not the toes! And the hoop is about 18 inches in diameter. Thanks kindly.

Edited by Jar (Thu Aug 30 2007 07:42 AM)

#377733 - Thu Aug 30 2007 08:04 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Loc: West Virginia
A confederate soldiers memorial located way off the beaten track; smack dab in the middle of nowhere back a windy and nearly single lane country road just outside of Mingo, West Virginia. Read the inscription at the bottom here.

Edited by Au_Naturel (Fri Aug 31 2007 05:06 PM)

#377734 - Thu Aug 30 2007 10:05 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
Jar, the quilt is beautiful! I've always wanted to try quilting, but goodness knows I really don't need another hobby.

Copago, thanks for the welcome.

This is a picture of the ceiling in the "Fireworks of Glass" exhibit by Dale Chihuly at the Children's Museum of Indianapolis. I love Dale Chihuly and have since I first saw his work at the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha, and I was so surprised and excited to get to introduce Kit to his work at the Children's Museum on our family vacation this summer.

The ceiling is composed of over 1600 individually hand-blown glass pieces arranged on glass and lit from above. The exhibit also includes a hands-on experience for the kids made of plastic versions of Chihuly's art pieces that can be arranged and rearranged to the heart's content. From above, the "ceiling" installation actually makes up the floor of a 3-story, 43 foot tall sculpture made of over 3200 individual pieces of glass, most over 2 feet long, that fills the atrium of the museum.

Here's a bigger version of the ceiling
(For reference, the large green sea-form piece in the center is roughly 18" across.)
The tower, or what you can see of it
Another Chihuly installation at the Museum

#377735 - Thu Aug 30 2007 10:11 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

A confederate soldiers memorial located way off the beaten track; smack dab in the middle of nowhere back a windy and nearly single lane country road just outside of Mingo Flats, West Virginia.

It's right to honour the memory of all soldiers who died so many years ago, believing their cause was right. We should never try to place our modern values on those who lived and died so long ago.
Personally, I'm a Union man, and here's another image from the 'Military Odyssey' event I attended last week-end. Union Infantry of the Federal Battalion give fire.
Note the authentic Union flag.

#377736 - Thu Aug 30 2007 11:57 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Thanks MG, that looks quite a bit like our new Green Line buses which for some reason are now coaches and white. How times change.

This is another of my earlier life shopping centres from my previous location. Central Muswell Hill

#377737 - Thu Aug 30 2007 02:46 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Quote:

A confederate soldiers memorial located way off the beaten track; smack dab in the middle of nowhere back a windy and nearly single lane country road just outside of Mingo, West Virginia.

It's right to honour the memory of all soldiers who died so many years ago, believing their cause was right. We should never try to place our modern values on those who lived and died so long ago.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, I'm afraid I fail to see how merely describing the location of the memorial is making a value judgment of any sort?

A military history enthusiast from outside the area would likely not even know this memorial existed. It is literally in the middle of nowhere, back a windy country road as I've described. To my knowledge, there are no signs or markers on the main highway alerting passersby to its existence; the road it's on goes nowhere of significance to anyone who doesn't live on it; and I'd be surprised if one could even purchase a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk in nearby Mingo (because it's that small of a village). It reminded me very much of Parthenon, Arkansas. It consisted of a post office on a bend in the road. That was it (aside from a few houses). But please don't think I am speaking 'down' of such out-of-the-way places: quite the contrary; I would have the entire world that way were it up to me.

#377738 - Thu Aug 30 2007 03:03 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I love the emu family, Copago - and I felt the same way as you do about the state of the eastern end of the East Villa.

This is part of a display of farm carts at Michelham.

#377739 - Thu Aug 30 2007 05:55 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

Unless I am misunderstanding you, I'm afraid I fail to see how merely describing the location of the memorial is making a value judgment of any sort?

My comment was merely an introduction to my posted photo, and neither meant as a discussion thread or a comment on anyone's judgment. I was simply referring to the inscription which you referenced in your post, ie here

#377740 - Thu Aug 30 2007 07:40 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Quote:

My comment was merely an introduction to my posted photo, and neither meant as a discussion thread or a comment on anyone's judgment. I was simply referring to the inscription which you referenced in your post, ie here

Thank you for the clarification; my misunderstanding. I thought your comment was directed to me since you quoted me.

#377741 - Thu Aug 30 2007 10:04 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Here's another fairground picture. Today it's the Ferris Wheel.

#377742 - Thu Aug 30 2007 11:26 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
Channel marker buoy, Panama Canal

#377743 - Fri Aug 31 2007 01:05 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
The road going to town and the bloody great dry creek that is beside it that is gradually taking the road. There is one of the guide posts that has fallen in. The council thinks that not enough people travel on the road so aren't in any rush to fix it. Just wish they'd realise it would take a lot less to fix it now than when a big rain does comes and takes half the road.

#377744 - Fri Aug 31 2007 05:17 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
shavsy Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Oldbury West Midlands UK
Just a view of Shavsville from the Zoo The large building on the left is a Bingo hall, and there is a hotel opposite. You can also see the TV and radio masts in the distance. I have found my way home from canal walks by following them more than once!

Looks so lovely and green from up here!

There is a larger photo here

#377745 - Fri Aug 31 2007 07:14 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Another fond memory of my trip to Australia at Easter. We got on this lovely train at Kuranda.

#377746 - Fri Aug 31 2007 02:36 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Lucky you Ren!!! When we were there the train wasn't operating as the rains had caused some of the track to fall. It was going to be down for a month. Darn I bet it was a great ride.

Homer Simpson

#377747 - Fri Aug 31 2007 02:44 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Here's a photo from our trip to Australia. We were in Melbourne and this little streetcar did a circle of the downtown area. While on board there was a recorded narrative that told you about the different areas you were passing through. There was no charge and it was a vintage streetcar which was quite neat.

Interior of the streetcar

Homer Simpson

#377748 - Fri Aug 31 2007 03:57 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
I call this one "A mutt on floral couch"

#377749 - Fri Aug 31 2007 04:38 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
There are four of these castles opposite each other, all different, designed by the architect Trobridge and featured in John Betjeman's 1970s film Metroland. They're at the top of a very steep hill near me and personally think they look pretty naff but make a reasonable photo at least.

#377750 - Fri Aug 31 2007 04:39 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Loth, your cute little puppy sure grew into a beautiful dog. That is the same one you had on Dogster, isn't it?

This is an Arizona stormy sky just before sundown.

#377751 - Fri Aug 31 2007 04:46 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
This statue of William Tyndale, the first person to translate most of the Bible into English from the original tongues, stands on the Thames Embankment in London.

#377752 - Fri Aug 31 2007 04:59 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

The view from the confederate soldiers memorial.

Larger View

Page 21 of 22 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy