#377353 - Tue Aug 07 2007 05:19 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Wow, that is really beautiful Ren.

#377354 - Tue Aug 07 2007 06:32 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Ren, great photos! I'd spend all my time in that park .

Liz, your sister's garden is a floral gold mine.

Copago, that's a mighty fine piece of machinery. Is it working? By the look of it I'd say it's still in perfect condition

Bhs - a wonderful place indeed! Who is the redhead beauty in that chair ?
----------------------------------------

For today, I have one question: Do you like my profile?

#377355 - Tue Aug 07 2007 06:37 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

I have always been fascinated by Moon Gates. We have many here in Hong Kong, and today I went to a beautiful park (Kowloon Walled City Park) where there were some lovelyexamples. As you can see, the frame formed by the opening often makes the scene beyond look like a painting.

What a delightful interplay between art and architecture. I also like Copago's old farm machine image, and know a few guys whose hobby is restoring old engines and machinery, and who would drool over something like that!
Here's a drawing by wildlfe artist David Perkins. It measures 20 inches x 18 inches, and is part of a series entitled 'Rain Forest Cats', this is a jaguar. David gave us this drawing some years ago as a wedding present.

#377356 - Tue Aug 07 2007 07:12 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Loc: West Virginia
Ren33, Beautiful! I had heard of 'moon gardens' before but never a moon gate--very impressive! Thanks for sharing and I agree with your nicest view choice.

Picqero, wow--that is spectacular! Totally awesome. I will have to show this to my daughter and I will be telling her, "Look, the guy who owns this is the same guy who said he'd have your art in his house as well!" Now that I've seen this, that was really quite the compliment you paid her. I do hope you'll post some more of your friends work, it's very good.

Here's a shot of the inside of one of our hives. It's made so that it can be divided into three bays of ten bars each. This was taken about a month after the bees arrived so only the first bay is in use. The notches on the top bars are mainly for additional ventilation but it also allows the bees access to their 'attic'.

Edited by Au_Naturel (Tue Aug 28 2007 04:20 PM)

#377357 - Tue Aug 07 2007 07:16 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Oh, no, Copago, not tacky at all! We here in western Pennsylvania are quite proud of it! It was named after the Kenny family, who owned a grove of trees overlooking the river. People began picnicking there, and eventually they added a trolley line. Kennywood Park started as a "trolley park," many of which started in the 19th century and were little picnic and recreation areas at the end of trolley lines. (Streetcar companies created them to encourage local industrial workers and their families to use their services on the weekends)
Anyway, it grew from there, and is one of two amusement parks in the States listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It's one of the few amusement parks here that still allows guests to bring in their own picnic lunches, and is alcohol-free. A very nostalgic atmosphere, and a great place to spend a day!
Now that the history lesson is over, I thought I would post my picture! My camera has dead batteries, so this is a picture I took in Barbados in March. This is Ragged Point Lighthouse, which was built in 1875. It is rusting quite badly, but we thought it was interesting and specifically asked our driver to take us there.

#377358 - Tue Aug 07 2007 07:27 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
denni19 Offline

Cinnam0n, thank you for another lighthouse .

Au_Naturel, I just have to ask: Do you sell the honey?

#377359 - Tue Aug 07 2007 07:37 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Oops, almost forgot! Au_Naturel, my husband kept beehives for several years in the mid-90's, but the mite situation in the latter part of the 90's forced him, and many other Pennsylvania beekeepers, to get out of the "bee business." I think the state government has realized the damage that the decrease of the honeybee population has done to the crops, and have been working on solutions for the various pest problems. My husband just mentioned to me the other day that he would like to start some new hives soon. Your pictures are very interesting to me!

#377360 - Tue Aug 07 2007 07:44 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Quote:

For today, I have one question: Do you like my profile?

Denni,Gnawra is drooling, wow what a smasher! is that his good side?

#377361 - Tue Aug 07 2007 08:19 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Denni, you make me laugh! To answer your question, we hope to sell honey in the future, but since we've just began the hives this year it's unlikely that we'll have an excess. We have to leave the bees about ten bars of honey to survive the winter, but if we're lucky, we might get a sampling for ourselves. However, come spring we should have more than we can use.

Cinnam0n, my husband kept bees for around 15 years before we even knew each other, but this is my first year as a beekeeper. You are right about the importance of bees as pollinators; from what I have read the bee situation is in pretty dire straights...and the wild bee population is almost non-existent (at least that we have seen). In addition to the mite problem, they now have this unknown phenomena they're calling Colony Collapse Disorder. I've read (though I don't know how much truth there is to it) that CCD isn't affecting organic beekeepers. Also, you and your husband may be interested to know that the smaller cell size the bees make in the Top Bar Hives aids in mite reduction. I'm glad you're finding the pictures interesting--thanks for letting me know.

Edited by Au_Naturel (Tue Aug 07 2007 01:22 PM)

#377362 - Tue Aug 07 2007 08:42 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I must confess that I'd never heard of moon gates till now. Great pics, Ren.

Michelham Priory, near Hailsham in Sussex, is largely a careful twentieth-century restoration, but the old Gatehouse shown here dates back to about 1390.

Edited by TabbyTom (Tue Aug 07 2007 02:57 PM)

#377363 - Tue Aug 07 2007 08:48 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
denni19 Offline

Yes, Ren, that's his good side. And he still has his hair in its natural colour .

Au_Naturel - "come spring" --> I made sure to note that down

#377364 - Tue Aug 07 2007 09:39 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
Au_Naturel, I've been reading disturbing stories about the plight of honey bees in the age of cellular phones. Have you had problems?

Copago, love the farm machinery. My opthamologist has rusting old farm equipment out in front of his office. I'll have to go over and take a picture of it. He also has a bunch of stuff in his waiting room. Yes, he's an eccentric guy, but a good doctor.

#377365 - Tue Aug 07 2007 09:43 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Denni, the red-headed beauty is my 11 yr. old granddaughter. She had a ball on Prince Edward Island. That day she was all decked out as Anne of Green Gables.

When we visited Green Gables (NOT in the outfit, but with pigtails) the Japanese tourists were stalking her taking pictures. The tour guide welcomed her home. That made her day!

#377366 - Tue Aug 07 2007 11:26 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
A rare more urban view from me, I used to work in the market opposite this building in Swiss Cottage, South Hampstead (named after the pub opposite) and then again in the community centre on the same site. That side has all been rebuilt recently and due to traffic I still didn't see it all today.

#377367 - Tue Aug 07 2007 11:42 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Me and Mum love doing Jigsaws...but only Christmas ones We usually get at least three in December, and do them during the year. There is still one, in its cellaphane, waiting for us This is the most recent one we did.

#377368 - Tue Aug 07 2007 11:51 AM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
A desert town in Southern California. It really seemed desolate where we were so I thought I'd experiment with black and white with this photo. It made it seem even more desolate, I think.

#377369 - Tue Aug 07 2007 12:57 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
ClaraSue, your photo reminded me of one I took last year. It was taken just outside the city of Nijmegen. The tower that you can just make out in the distance is a replica of a tower that used to stand in the city centre some centuries ago.

#377370 - Tue Aug 07 2007 01:20 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Great photos everyone. Here is a sunset on Clear Lake, Riding Mt National Park

Homer Simpson

#377371 - Tue Aug 07 2007 01:58 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

I take it Miss Denni likes honey?

bhs63, we've not had any problems yet (thanks be to God)--not even mites, but our hives are young so we will have to wait and see. We live kind of out in the sticks with a lot of uninhabited land around us so I'm hoping that will translate into naturally healthy bees, free from pesticide-related problems and GMO crops. I have read at least one article in the past that speculated that the Colony Collapse Disorder was connected to cell phones, but I personally don't buy that--at least not as a sole factor--but I think that theory has been debunked recently, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if you were asking specifically about cell phones in relation to CCD or not, but even if there was a cell phone connection to be made somewhere it still wouldn't be an issue for us, I don't imagine, as we are within the Green Bank NRAO quiet zone--cell phone service is not available in my immediate area and I can't say I mind that one bit! P.S. I can see why the tourists would mistake your granddaughter for Anne of Green Gables; how charming!

ClaraSue, the black and white effect is great! Gives a nice eerie feel to it...it almost looks like something you'd expect to see at Chernoble.

#377372 - Tue Aug 07 2007 03:16 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
denni19 Offline

Thank you for explaining, bhs. I've seen the other photos of your granddaughter as Anne, and she looked awesome. I wasn't sure it was her in there too, that's why I asked. You could have 'extorted' some money out of those Japanese, me thinks .

Jane, your jigsaw looks fantastic! I've always yearned for a big one and never had it. It is still on my shopping list.

Clara Sue, that's one great artistic photo. Congratulations!

Finally...Au_Naturel - me being the size of a small bear, of course I like honey!

#377373 - Tue Aug 07 2007 03:42 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

LOL, Denni. At $5 a picture it would have paid for the trip!

#377374 - Tue Aug 07 2007 04:06 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
This thread just keeps getting better and better, I love it.
That sunset is stunning, Argus!
Cinnmon, in the back of my head somewhere I had visions of it being the 'sister park' to the Dolly Parton one. It sounds great. I haven't been to a theme park for about 15 years - bet the rides have improved since then.

Interesting to read about the bees too. Do you know if that disease is a world wide thing?

Today for me is a picture of Rolfie (he's the big pup I mentioned in the old and grumpy thread). Because that grass is about 18 inches tall, when he gets tied up at night he can't see much around him so has to stand up to see what's going on. Looks like a meerkat We're hoping he will grow into his ears one day.

#377375 - Tue Aug 07 2007 05:03 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sydney, NSW Australia
Awwww such a cute dog.

Edited by MCRismyLIFE (Tue Aug 07 2007 05:05 PM)

#377376 - Tue Aug 07 2007 06:55 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Michelham Priory, near Hailsham in Sussex, is largely a careful twentieth-century restoration, but the old Gatehouse shown here dates back to about 1390.

I don't know how I missed this one earlier. All I can say is I envy you all over in the 'Old World,' being surrounded by such rich history and culture. 1390... *sigh*

Quote:

This thread just keeps getting better and better, I love it. ... Interesting to read about the bees too. Do you know if that disease is a world wide thing?

I agree, this is a great thread! I'm glad Denni threatened me with bodily harm if I didn't join in the festivities! (Just kidding, of course!)

CCD incidents have been reported since 2006 in 26 US states, Canada, Poland, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, the UK and Australia, according to one source. But to what extent it's occurring outside the US I'm afraid I don't know. I was trying to keep up on it, but I've gotten side-tracked with other projects and haven't been reading the news lately.

Cute doggy photo, by the way.

#377377 - Tue Aug 07 2007 07:21 PM Re: Photo-a-day - August 2007
burnone Offline
Participant

Loc: Perrysburg, OH

My first post. I love photograqphy and funtrivia, but have yet to ever leave a post. Hope this wroks

Page 6 of 22 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy