Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#379142 - Tue Aug 07 2007 08:47 PM Re: Wedding Songs
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sydney, NSW Australia
I dont care where it is really, but i have had mine planned to be at Rookwood for a long time under a full moon, so hopefully that will happen.

My friend Gayge said that my choice in songs are more funeral songs, but i dont think so, what do you all think?

#379143 - Tue Aug 07 2007 08:49 PM Re: Wedding Songs
King01 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Virginia USA
No...I don't really think of any song as a "funeral song" but I could see your choice as a wedding song.

#379144 - Tue Aug 07 2007 08:54 PM Re: Wedding Songs
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

Hmmmm! Well i will stick to my guns and have Our Lady Of Sorrows, i will just try and get a non-swearing version to shut people up!

#379145 - Tue Aug 07 2007 08:59 PM Re: Wedding Songs
King01 Offline
Enthusiast

Well, I don't believe in censorship but do what you have to do!

#379146 - Tue Aug 07 2007 09:23 PM Re: Wedding Songs
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Hey guys, do you think this conversation might work better by private message? I'm not sure others want to wade through 20 or so posts of basically a one-on-one conversation.
If I'm out of line, everbody, sorry, but it just seems to be getting a little, um, unwieldy...

#379147 - Tue Aug 07 2007 11:02 PM Re: Wedding Songs
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

We did go into a priavte message, sorry about that, which is why i tried to get back on topic with re-mentioning my wedding song.

#379148 - Wed Aug 08 2007 12:08 AM Re: Wedding Songs
Taesma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Bay Area California USA      
Thanks, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything, I had to put my kids to bed and couldn't get back to say that I hope it didn't come across all snooty or anything.

As far as your dad's song...it's more about what the song says than what it sounds like, and it seems those lyrics mean something to him, so maybe you could just indulge him. You mentioned he's all you've had since your mom left (so sorry about that ), but maybe he has some of those same feelings for you, eh?
Speaking as a parent, you don't really understand how hard it is to see your kids grow and move on and become independent of you until it starts to happen, even as you're thrilled for them. The only time I ever saw my dad cry was during our dance at my (first) wedding. I didn't really get it at the time, but I sure do now.

Really not trying to lecture here, just passing along a bit to think about.

#379149 - Wed Aug 08 2007 01:00 AM Re: Wedding Songs
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

Oh dont worry about it, now that i have read it i realise how much we got off topic for a while!

I totally agree, it is about the lyrics, because i asked him about the song today, told him i listened to it and that i didnt like it, and he told me not to pay attention to who sings it, or how it is sung, but too pay attention to the lyrics, and your right, i should put it in there for him, because i will do anything for my dad, and i will have that song in there somewhere and dance with him.

Your right i dont understand any of that watching them grow up and all, as i am only 19, but dad would do anything for myself, Bodie and Michael, so i will put it in there for him.

My dad is funny, he is already talking about me getting married, i know he dosent want it to happen for a while, he though Mick was too young getting married at 24. I mean i remember dad did a speech at mine and Bodies 18th, retelling stories about the first time Bodie got on a surf board and the first time i picked up a guitar and started playing and when i first discovered MCR, thinking back on that speech i realise your right, that sing probably does mean more the my dad then i will know, and that is probably why he wants it in there somewhere.

Thanks for the advice!

#379150 - Wed Aug 08 2007 02:29 AM Re: Wedding Songs
lynn-ann Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Cape Town South Africa     
I think it's a beautiful song. I found a version of it on 'youtube' sung by Westlife. You might want to listen to that. I haven't heard the original and I am not a fan of country music either, but I thought the words were beautiful. My father died when I was six so I guess I am just a little sentimental because I would have loved to have had my father give me away at my wedding.

By the way I had the traditional march played at my wedding almost 17 years ago. I was only 21 but I didn't care what song was being played because I was so in love and so happy. You'll see when the time comes that it is not the wedding day that counts, but the marriage and I have been happily married ever since.

Just my 2 cents.

#379151 - Wed Aug 08 2007 03:44 AM Re: Wedding Songs
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

Awwww well congratulations.

I will go and listen to the westlife song. Oh and i hope we didnt offend you with the stuff we said about the traditional march, because your probably right, it wouldnt bother me if i was in love to be getting married.

But since 02 i have been saying Our Lady Of Sorrows is my wedding song, i said so the first time i heard it, so i guess i have to have it. Or hope my future man, whoever he may be will agree to it.

#379152 - Wed Aug 08 2007 04:01 AM Re: Wedding Songs
lynn-ann Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Cape Town South Africa     
Oh no, you didn't offend me at all. Remember I said I was 21 at the time. The organist asked me what song I wanted and I told her whatever it was that they played at weddings. I didn't really care.

But you must go with whatever your heart tells you and remember it will be a special day for your father as well because it is his chance to show off his 'little girl'. So make him proud.

#379153 - Wed Aug 08 2007 04:06 AM Re: Wedding Songs
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

Yeah he was saying that, even though i keep telling him i am 19, and i am not getting married for quiet sometime, although i cant say that, everyone in my family has been married before they were 25, so i might as well.

Yeah dad was saying that he cant wait until i get married, and i reminded him that he had one son who got married 2 years ago, and another son, my twin brother, who is steady with his girl and has been since he was 15, and Gayge and i are constantly on and off, we are literally 'Demoltion Lovers' but dad says it is different when it is your little girl, espeically since i am the only one he has or something like that.

Oh and i am glad i didnt offend you, and i am happy that i know someone who's married has lasted. =}

#379154 - Wed Aug 08 2007 06:21 AM Re: Wedding Songs
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
I've heard Pachelbel's Canon in D played at an awful lot of weddings - it's beautiful music, but it's getting a bit like the wedding march. A bit contrived.

I'd love to walk down the aisle to a beautiful piece of music, and if it couldn't have words I'm not sure what that would be at this point in time. If I could have anything, it would be "Have I Told You Lately" by Van Morrison.

If we're discussing what we'd like played as our first dance together as a married couple - that's where the fun begins.

Some friends got married 10 years ago, after only knowing each other for 5 months. They chose for their first dance "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About". They thought it was both funny and appropriate, considering what their families were saying to them. She wasn't pregnant, they just knew. They're still together!

Two songs that are special to cubby and I are:

"Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls
"I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" - Aerosmith

The Van Morrison track would also work for the first dance.

#379155 - Wed Aug 08 2007 06:25 AM Re: Wedding Songs
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Pachelbel's Canon in D is a great song, it conveys so many emotions at once. However I wouldn't choose it as a wedding song. If I were to get married to my current boyfriend, in another...10-15 years or so, then we would probably choose something classical. Moonlight Sonata is beautiful, but it is about lost love, so it isn't really appropriate.

Claire De Lune by Debussy was the first song we both learnt to play on piano after we were together. It is a really beautiful song, but it is getting a bit old.

#379156 - Thu Aug 09 2007 06:13 AM Re: Wedding Songs
garyfire Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Antgonish Nova Scotia Canada 
I found another one that I really like.

Beautiful by Lifehouse

Finally here, won't stay too late.
I want to feel you, I need to hear you.
You are the light that's leading me to the place where I find peace,
again.

You are the strength, that keeps me walking.
You are the hope, that keeps me trusting.
You are the light, to my soul.
You are my purpose, you're everything.

chorus:
And how can I stand here with you, and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me 'How could it be any better than this?'

yeah...

You calm the storms, and you give me rest.
You hold me in your hands, you won't let me fall
You steal my heart, and you take my breath away.
Would you take me in? Take me deeper now.

chorus (x2)

'Cause you're all I want
You're all I need
You're everything, everything. (x4)

chorus (x3)

Would you tell me 'How could it be, any better than this?'

#379157 - Thu Aug 09 2007 09:13 PM Re: Wedding Songs
hughlover1968 Offline
Participant

Loc: New Jersey, USA
You know, I hate dresses, getting married in p.j.'s. might be the best idea ever.

#379158 - Fri Aug 10 2007 01:55 AM Re: Wedding Songs
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Getting married in pyjamas would be interesting, but I would love to dress up so specially for at least one day in my life. I don't know if I'll stick to the traditional white though, it isn't really my colour. Red would make quite a ripple in tradition, and it suits me.

#379159 - Fri Aug 10 2007 02:30 AM Re: Wedding Songs
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

I am getting married cabarae style, under a full blue moon and in a graveyard, at least that is my plan.

#379160 - Fri Aug 10 2007 11:13 AM Re: Wedding Songs
King01 Offline
Enthusiast

I'm sticking to the p.j.'s idea...I mean if it's my big day I want to be as comfortable as possible.

#379161 - Sat Aug 11 2007 05:00 AM Re: Wedding Songs
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

A graveyard?

Just don't dance on any graves.

#379162 - Sat Aug 11 2007 12:19 PM Re: Wedding Songs
King01 Offline
Enthusiast

I think Hawaii would be a nice place to get married or some tropical island like that.

#379163 - Sat Aug 11 2007 05:08 PM Re: Wedding Songs
silvermime Offline
Explorer

Loc: Kentucky USA
Quote:

I am getting married cabarae style, under a full blue moon and in a graveyard, at least that is my plan.

I've always wanted to get married in a Big Gothic Church. I want to wear a white dress with blood red accents, my bridesmaids will wear black, except for the maid of honor who will wear either a blood red dress or a champagne colored dress. I want dark red roses and lots of candles. I'm not looking for exactly creepy, but very dark, yet elegant.

I don't think you are crazy for wanting to get married in a grave yard, my ex's sister got married in a graveyard at midnight on Halloween.

#379164 - Sun Aug 12 2007 12:40 AM Re: Wedding Songs
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

And I'm sure that there is an MCR song somewhere that will fit a graveyard perfectly.

#379165 - Sun Aug 12 2007 04:15 PM Re: Wedding Songs
MCRismyLIFE Offline
Enthusiast

There are a few MCR songs that will fit my wedding plans perfectly, people usually freak when i tell them i am getting married at Rookwood cemetery, well you guys didnt, that's cool.

I have it all planned in my head, and IF i stay with Gayge he agree's totally with my wedding plans.

#379166 - Fri Aug 17 2007 04:39 PM Re: Wedding Songs
King01 Offline
Enthusiast

I actually think it's kind of a cool idea.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher