Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#383983 - Wed Sep 05 2007 08:04 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Another wall painting in Vicksburg, Mississippi along the river. This one shows how large the paintings really are.

#383984 - Wed Sep 05 2007 08:38 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England†UK††††
Lovely pics, ClaraSue. One canít help feeling nostalgia for the age of steam, even if it wasnít exactly environmentally friendly.

I wanted to post this picture in last weekís Signs thread, but (like one or two other members) I had software problems. This little bit of American history in London can be found in a little alley called Pickering Place, off St Jamesís Street in the West End..

Edited by TabbyTom (Wed Sep 05 2007 08:41 AM)

#383985 - Wed Sep 05 2007 08:41 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England†UK
Quote:

I don't know anything much about canon blasts either, ClaraSue. All I can tell you is that of all the rounds they shot off that day that was the only one that produced a smoke ring. I'd be inclined to say that the conditions just happened to be right (i.e, no wind, etc.) and it was a fluke more than anything, but perhaps someone with more experience with such things could tell us for sure... Picqero???

I've seen hundreds of cannon shots fired from artillery pieces (cannon is only a generic term by the way), from the tiny Robinette or Falcon to the huge Cannon Royale which could fire a 64 pound ball. I've even fired some of these myself, but have never seen a smoke ring like that in your image. Even without a ball, the powder charge gives a ferocious explosion, giving a huge cloud of blue-grey smoke - but almost never a smoke ring. I'd have said 'never' were it not for your remarkable image!
A typical cannon blast would give out smoke such as that in my English Civil War image below
Fired at night, the blast is even more spectacular with a huge sheet of flame erupting from the touch hole and the barrel as you can see in this image from my re-enactment society's web-site - and that's only the primer flame!

#383986 - Wed Sep 05 2007 12:38 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba†Canada†††
Here is a photo of the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton Lake National Park, Alberta.

Larger photo

I didn't use the telephoto lens of my SLR to give the viewer an idea of how isolated the hotel was. There is a small townsite nearby but the hotel was built where it is to get the full effect of the view.

Homer Simpson

#383987 - Wed Sep 05 2007 01:40 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
Colorful fishing boat anchored on the banks of the Panama Canal

#383988 - Wed Sep 05 2007 02:53 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
As well as the Statue of Liberty on the first floor of this house in Childs Hill, it also had a pirate and a soldier either side of the front door. Quite mental in my opinion though no doubt they think they're being very original.

#383989 - Wed Sep 05 2007 03:24 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
Au_Naturel Offline
Prolific

Loc: West Virginia
Quote:

I've seen hundreds of cannon shots fired from artillery pieces (cannon is only a generic term by the way), from the tiny Robinette or Falcon to the huge Cannon Royale which could fire a 64 pound ball. I've even fired some of these myself, but have never seen a smoke ring like that in your image. Even without a ball, the powder charge gives a ferocious explosion, giving a huge cloud of blue-grey smoke - but almost never a smoke ring. I'd have said 'never' were it not for your remarkable image!
A typical cannon blast would give out smoke such as that in my English Civil War image below
Fired at night, the blast is even more spectacular with a huge sheet of flame erupting from the touch hole and the barrel as you can see in this image from my re-enactment society's web-site - and that's only the primer flame!

Thanks for the info, Picqero--it sounds like I truly did see something unique! I didn't think of it at the time, but I should have asked the cannon firing-man (is there a proper term for that position?) his thoughts on it.

Here's another photo from that reenactment. This little cutie is the surgeon's assistant who was busy tidying up her Grandpa's doctor's "office."

Larger View

#383990 - Wed Sep 05 2007 04:29 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
A visitor in our garden:

#383991 - Wed Sep 05 2007 04:46 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
Wow.

#383992 - Wed Sep 05 2007 04:50 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong† Hong†Kong††††††
That is amazing TW! He just doesn't
seem a bit scared.
The ladies employed here still wear the traditional Hakka hat for shade. They needed them yesterday as I sat and watched them trimming the trees in the city centre in Sheung Shui, using a long handled pair of shears.

Here are some more shots of these great ladies.

#383993 - Wed Sep 05 2007 05:04 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
The fox stayed around for a good while and although some trimming of the photo's background has been done, you can see I was able to get close to it by the detail in the eyes. This was the best of the shots I was able to take before it became bored and wandered off somewhere else.

#383994 - Wed Sep 05 2007 07:25 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
How's this for a fluke? This shot was taken at the Moondyne Festival in Toodyay. Moondyne Joe was Western Australia's most famous bushranger. These gentleman are from the Volunteer Rifle and Artillery Regiment of 1860 and I believe these are muzzle loaders but I could be wrong as I know nothing about weapons. I've never seen the musket fire like this with the naked eye but the camera managed to capture it. Normally all you see is a puff of smoke.

#383995 - Wed Sep 05 2007 09:33 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
They're not as unusual as TW's visitor, nor is it as good a shot, but I thought these two made an odd couple on the fence this afternoon.

#383996 - Wed Sep 05 2007 10:35 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:

How's this for a fluke? This shot was taken at the Moondyne Festival in Toodyay. Moondyne Joe was Western Australia's most famous bushranger. These gentleman are from the Volunteer Rifle and Artillery Regiment of 1860 and I believe these are muzzle loaders but I could be wrong as I know nothing about weapons. I've never seen the musket fire like this with the naked eye but the camera managed to capture it. Normally all you see is a puff of smoke.

They are indeed muzzle loaders. Even in the reduced image the ramrod, used to ram home the charge, is clearly visible directly under the barrel of each musket.
If you saw these fire at night you'd see a sheet of flame over a metre long erupting from the barrels. Musketeers firing in ranks like these, have to be extremely careful their musket is never pointed towards a colleague, as a misfire could cause very serious injury.

#383997 - Thu Sep 06 2007 12:55 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
ren33 Offline

OK I just have to put this in:
"Sam, Sam, pick up thy musket !",

#383998 - Thu Sep 06 2007 04:54 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Quote:

OK I just have to put this in:
"Sam, Sam, pick up thy musket !",

Ren, please explain. I am not familiar with this.

#383999 - Thu Sep 06 2007 06:13 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
ren33 Offline

Haha!1 I KNEW someone would ask that. It's from an old poem , or rather a verse, which is most famous for having been one of the monologues of an actor/comedian called Stanley Holloway, which you may have heard of. Here is the poem.
Sam, pick up thy musket..

#384000 - Thu Sep 06 2007 07:41 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
A very ordinary scene in London, people getting on the 102 bus in Hodford Road Golders Green heading for Brent Cross.

#384001 - Thu Sep 06 2007 08:42 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel†Islands††††
Thursdays must be 'flower day' at the pound shop in town. When I walk past on a Thursday late morning/early lunchtime there is always a swarm of people taking an armful of flowers. This lunchtime was no exception, I looked and to my amazement they had bunches of orchids, ten stems for £1. I bought three bunches then continued on my way to Social Security to sort out my forthcoming pension (I will be sixty in November). The 'pensions lady' exclaimed that they were gorgeous so I insisted that she take a bunch which thrilled her. It is just as well that I did give them to her as I still have two vases full. This is the jug of orchids in my hall.

The carnations I bought from my local pound shop more than four weeks ago are still going strong but getting mear their throw out date.

#384002 - Thu Sep 06 2007 09:01 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
This is looking down the stairway inside Elgin Cathedral, going up to the first floor. It dates from the 13th century.

For another look at the writing look here.

#384003 - Thu Sep 06 2007 10:02 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England†UK††††
Argus, thatís a beautiful view.

TW, itís surprising how tame urban foxes are becoming.

I believe these cigar-store Indians are (or maybe used to be) a common sight in the US, but itís unusual to see them in Britain. These are outside Foxís shop in St Jamesís Street, London.

#384004 - Thu Sep 06 2007 11:21 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Lovely flowers, Sue. TW, I have heard of cigar-store Indians, and in all my 40+ years, I have seen maybe 2.

This morning we were crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel in Virginia. This is the view heading into Chesapeake Channel Tunnel which is 5,450 feet long and goes to a depth of 50 feet under water to provide a 1,700 foot wide channel to allow ships to cross over it. More information about this awesome bridge-tunnel here.

#384005 - Thu Sep 06 2007 11:57 AM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

This is a canal bridge at the former Royal Gunpowder Mills at the nearby town of Waltham Abbey, see Powdermills
These canals were unique to the site, and the barges used to transport explosive products were almost circular - hence the bridge shape. Not a bad reflection either!

Edited by picqero (Thu Feb 28 2008 05:34 PM)

#384006 - Thu Sep 06 2007 12:19 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Great photo, picqero. At first glance, I thought it was a Ferris Wheel. I am thoroughly enjoying the history of the powdermills, especially since I work around explosives.

#384007 - Thu Sep 06 2007 01:05 PM Re: Photo-a-day - September 2007
ren33 Offline

This is a common sight outside most railway stations here.What you see are about one tenth of the bicycles parked at Sheung Shui on any one day. I have been meaning to take a shot of them since Leau's bike picture.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy