Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#384320 - Sat Sep 01 2007 10:17 AM September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS
Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Quote:

Mondays - Bethfay and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni

Wednesdays - Kuu and Cae_16682
Thursdays - Zorba_Scank and Nakarinna

Fridays - Howie and Aginor
Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

We still have an opening for a Wednesday host (sharing alternate weeks with Kuu) - so if anyone is interested in hosting, just let me/us know!

Edited by bethfay (Sat Sep 08 2007 11:37 AM)

#384321 - Sat Sep 01 2007 02:01 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Well, I guess it's up to me to start this month off, so here we go with a quiz about September!

Round 1

1. September is from the Latin for "seven," so please give me a movie
(not for TV) containing the word or number seven in its title.

2. Name any holiday celebrated in September, giving the day and where in the world it is celebrated.

3. September's birthstone is a sapphire. Name any color that a sapphire can be.

4. 7 is the 4th prime number. Please give me any prime number under 100.

5. Finally, please make a word of 4 or more letters from the letters contained in the word September.

As bethfay mentioned, there is no registration required to play this game, so join right in for as many rounds as you are able to! (we don't even charge you a fee to let you play with us! ) Just click on my name at the left of this message and PM me with your list of answers.

Since Monday is a holiday here in the States and I will be busy, this round will close on Tuesday at noon FT time.

#384322 - Sun Sep 02 2007 03:22 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 3 ~ MONDAY (slightly early...)

Hello there, once again ! (To see if I remember how to do this) let me refresh myself as I sit here watching a recent DVD purchase ... the 2004 Oscar-winning film "Crash"! Note: to those unfamiliar, I tend to get wordy with these ... ergo, allow me to apologize in advance .

1. In 2005, "Crash" pulled off a notable upset at the Academy Awards. The audiences across the world were, overall, expecting "Brokeback Mountain" to win the big prize. Surprise, surprise! The contemporary "passion piece", tied together by intermingling stories of racial prejudice in California, took home the Oscar. In doing that, too, "Crash" became the 20th English-speaking film with a one-word title to be be named 'Best Picture' in Academy Award history. Please tell me the name of another of those Oscared movies that shared that 'one-word-on-the-marquee' distinction and was named Best Picture, any year (no foreign language films, please...).
2. On the "official" site for the movie (you can link to it from the Wikipedia page for the film), there is a Photo Gallery in the "Film Info" section. The photo stills highlight twelve key incidents in "Crash" as the fictional Californians crash into each other, sometimes quite literally. Kindly have a look at those pictures and pick a MALE actor who appears in one (or more) of them. No need to note the character played in the scene[s] - just the name of the actor will work.
3. The director of "Crash" was Paul Haggis, who was inspired to create the story of the corruption/hazards of the urban sprawl that is behind the glamour of L.A. after his Porsche was stolen on Wilshire Boulevard in 1991. The Boulevard is 16 miles long and is often called "the backbone of Los Angeles" (and crooks like it, too, because of its handiness when it comes to getaways ). Here you can take a cyber ride down Wilshire - and it's pretty interesting to do (if you ever have the time to try it). Clicking 'Explore the City' (a red box) will redirect you to 8 sections/neighborhoods highlighted by photographs of them at the start of that cyber "tour". Choose one of them, if you wouldn't mind.
4. One of the most revealing truths the movie explores is that [typically] ALL of us carry within us layers of racial discrimination - sometimes it's very subtle as to almost be incidental. Other times, however, it is so large/loud that it is almost what "defines" a day for many. And it is not an issue that is "skin color specific". One group is as quick to profile another (and often even their own) as a matter of course. One of the more notable spokespeople in modern history that piped up, spoke to the issue of racial fairness in society, fought and died for the war called "civil rights" was the eloquent Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., of course. He was assassinated on April 4, 1968 and, that night, Senator Robert Kennedy interrupted his presidential campaign to give a speech from a flatbed truck in a very racially torn section of Indianapolis, Indiana. The speech was not heavy in composition or political motive - but it was as genuine a tribute to King as could have happened, some said at the time. I need to know a word that was heard in that speech in the first -or- the last sentence of it ~ and only pick words that have five letters (or more) in them, OK? Also, no proper nouns will be accepted... Note: it has been brought to my attention that some sites differ on the text (introductory/final sentences, etc.). Given that, let's just use the body of the speech as offered HERE. Thanks!
5. Certainly, Beverly Hills itself played a prominent role in "Crash", what with it being a hub of money, power and flagrant elitism on the L.A. landscape. Naturally, the likes of my obsessed-with-pop-culture self thinks only of "The Beverly Hillbillies" when the region comes up. Yes, the critics hated the TV show, from the time it began in 1962 until its exit in 1971 (but, unless you have a problem with simple folk from the Ozarks who have more critters than good sense, ethnic unrest wasn't an issue at the Clampett residence). Now ..."quit yer' squawkin' like a two-pound chicken layin' a three-pound egg" and tell me a malaprop or colloquialism that found its origin/popularity on "The Beverly Hillbillies" (excluding the one I just used, that is ....)

I reckon this will close on Thursday ~ I'll beat some drums, or something, several hours before I close it. And, as always, if you get stuck don't hesitate to PM me ! Have a terrific week, folks!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Mon Sep 03 2007 06:40 PM)

#384323 - Mon Sep 03 2007 05:21 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 4 - Tuesday, September 4th

It may be Tuesday today but my mind is already stuck on tomorrow - it's my FT Forums one year anniversary. An year ago (seems like yesterday) I was a toddler in here, learning the place's ABCs and look at me now! Hosting Trivia Rounds .
In memory of younger days let's start again with ABC.

1. Easily visible from a far distance, my very favourite playroom is the "Chain Games". On a perfect day I can spend 3-4 hours in a row in there, exercising the alphabet.
- Kindly give me the name/title of a chain game we have in here that has "ABC" or "Alphabetical(ly)" in it. [Bear in mind that there's a "Page 2" too ]

2. Composed at the request of Blanche, Duchess of Lancaster, as a prayer for her private use, "Chaucer's A. B. C." by Geoffrey Chaucer (duh! ) is a classic work of literature that can be enjoyed by all.
- Please pick any line, anywhere in that poem, beginning with the letter "F".

3. One of the biggest music venues in Glasgow's city centre, the ABC club (located on Sauchiehall Street), was crafted to offer music lovers an extraordinary experience.
- From their official website, in the "Diary" section, please choose an artist/band that is scheduled to perform in November 2007.

4. ABC Teach, a quality educational site, offers numerous resources for kids, parents, students, teachers, everyone.
- Please give me one of their on-line tools (ABCTools) for creating custom documents. [From the 'starred' ones listed on their Home page]

5. Our final ABC is Academia Brasileira de Ciências (Brazilian Academy of Science). Playing an important role in various scientific activities in Brazil, it was founded on May 3rd, 1916, in Rio de Janeiro.
- Please name one of the Academy's former presidents.

As usual, the round remains open until Friday noon FT time and I'm happy to help with any confusion that might arise about my requests .

Edited by denni19 (Tue Sep 04 2007 02:03 AM)

#384324 - Tue Sep 04 2007 10:03 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

I'm going to leave Round 1 open for a few more hours, since I have to go out and do some errands before tallying the results. There's room for more players!

#384325 - Wed Sep 05 2007 06:22 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 1 Results!

1. September is from the Latin for "seven," so please give me a movie
(not for TV) containing the word or number seven in its title.

10 points- Seven Years in Tibet, The Seven Little Foys, Guns of the Magnificent Seven, The Seven Minutes, Seven Doors to Death, se7en, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Juror Number Seven, The Secret Seven, The Magnificent Seven, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Excellent! 10 for everyone!

2. Name any holiday celebrated in September, giving the day and where in the world it is celebrated.

10 points - Republic Day (North Korea,9/9), Teacher's Day (India, 9/5), Republic Day (Trinidad & Tobago, 9/24), Grite de Lares (Puerto Rico), International "Talk Like a Pirate" Day (9/19), Poisoned Blackberries Day (9/29), Day of the Constitution of the Slovak Republic (Slovakia, 9/1), National Day (Botswana, 9/30), Independence Day (Malta, 9/21)

5 points - Labor Day (US, first Monday)(2)

3. September's birthstone is a sapphire. Name any color that a sapphire can be.

10 points - white, orange

5 points- green (3), yellow (2), brown (2), purple (2)

4. 7 is the 4th prime number. Please give me any prime number under 100.

10 points - 59, 41, 19, 79, 61, 23

5 points - 37 (3), 67 (2)

5. Finally, please make a word of 4 or more letters from the letters contained in the word September.

10 points- pest, pester, beer, berseem, berm, retem, beset

5 points - berets(2), steep (2)

Lovely job, everyone!

Scores

This was a tight game - no perfect scores, so the 45's are the winners -- Mugaboo, Gats, and nakarinna!

We have an entire pack with 40 points - zorba, szabs, brandz, jonnowales, bethfay, denni, and cae.

35 points goes to srini, who would have been in the running if he would have left the "s" off of his "beret" in question 5!

Thanks to the eleven players! Mugaboo, Gatsby, and nakarinna get the first points of the month!

Oh, almost forgot - WELCOME to jonnowales! We hope you stay and continue to play!

Edited by cinnam0n (Thu Sep 06 2007 07:03 AM)

#384326 - Wed Sep 05 2007 10:36 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Umm, Cinnamon, I scored 40 points in your round and 'berets' wasn't my answer for the last question.

#384327 - Wed Sep 05 2007 11:35 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea
Wales UK
Thanks Cinnam0n

#384328 - Wed Sep 05 2007 12:23 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Sorry Sharon, post has been modified! That's what I get for hurrying!

#384329 - Wed Sep 05 2007 10:27 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
srini701 Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Hyderabad India           
And while I did add an "s" to my answer to the last question, Cinnamon did so too in her report and turned me from a "he" to a "she"

#384330 - Thu Sep 06 2007 03:47 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
*Crash, crash. Boom, boom!* Round 3 will close in approximately six hours...

#384331 - Thu Sep 06 2007 06:58 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Sorry, srini, that wasn't a typo - I always thought you were a she! I don't know why I assumed....humble apologies!

Edited by cinnam0n (Thu Sep 06 2007 07:02 AM)

#384332 - Thu Sep 06 2007 07:53 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Hello all!

I'm trying my hand at hosting for the first time, so be gentle!

Round 6:

1. Horace Junior Grant is an American basketball player who played with the Chicago Bulls (1987-1994) and the Orlando Magic (1994-1999), both of which are NBA (National Basketball Association) Eastern Conference Teams. Name any of the other teams within the NBA Eastern Conference.

2. Horace Silver is an influential American jazz pianist and composer who has released many albums and won many awards, including the Schaefer Award for outstanding Achievement as an Exponent of Modern Jazz in 1963. Name a song from “The Best of Horace Silver” album (Volume 1 or 2).

3. William Horace de Vere Cole was a British prankster who often posed as political figures. His most famous trick, the Dreadnought Hoax, involved posing as an Abyssinian prince in order to board the Royal Navy ship the H.M.S. Dreadnought. The term "Abyssinia" has been used historically to describe a region of Ethiopia or the country as a whole. Name one of the nine member states of Ethiopia.

4. Horace Gundry Alexander was an ornithologist who studied birds in Britain, India, and the US. In recognition of his accomplishments, Alexander was awarded the Padma Bhushan medal, an Indian civilian decoration, in 1984. Please name another person who won the Padma Bhushan award between 1954 and 1990 (inclusive).

5. Quintus Horatius Flaccus, the Roman poet known as Horace, was a preeminent poet of the Roman Empire. Name one of his poems as listed by this website.

If you have any questions, comments, or clarifications, PM me. I will announce the close of the round 24 hours in advance. Good luck!

edited to include round number

Edited by nakarinna (Thu Sep 06 2007 07:56 AM)

#384333 - Thu Sep 06 2007 10:21 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 3 ~ Monday
"Crash"
11 standout players (and I appreciate your combined efforts !)

*1* Please tell me the name of another of those Oscared movies that shared that 'one-word-on-the-marquee' distinction and was named Best Picture, any year (no foreign language films, please...).

For 10 points:
"Rebecca" (1940), "Gigi" (1958), "Patton" (1969), "Amadeus" (1984), "Platoon" (1986), "Unforgiven" (1992) and "Gladiator" (2000).
For 5 points:
"Marty" (1955) (2) and "Oliver!" (1968) (2).

Many others ~ notably "Casablanca", "Rocky", "Gandhi" and the very first 'Best Picture' winner, "Wings" in 1927.

*2* Kindly have a look at those pictures and pick a MALE actor from "Crash" who appears in one (or more) of them. No need to note the character played in the scene[s] - just the name of the actor will work.

For 10 points:
Tony Danza, Ryan Phillippe, Don Cheadle and Larenz Tate.
For 5 points:
Matt Dillon (3), Brendan Fraser (2) and Terrence Howard (2).

Which only leaves Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges and Michael Pena unmentioned.

*3* Clicking 'Explore the City' (a red box) will redirect you to 8 sections/neighborhoods on Wilshire Blvd., highlighted by photographs of them at the start of that cyber "tour". Choose one of them, if you wouldn't mind.

For 10 points:
Downtown.
For 5 points:
Westwood/Brentwood (2), Wilshire Center (3) and Santa Monica (5).

The others were Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile/Carthay Circle, Windsor Square/Hancock Park -and- Parks District.

*4* I need to know a word that was heard in that speech (re: Martin Luther King) in the first -or- the last sentence of it ~ and only pick words that have five letters (or more) in them, OK? Also, no proper nouns will be accepted...

Opening sentence: "I have bad news for you, for all our fellow citizens and people who love peace all over the world, and that is that Martin Luther King was shot and killed tonight."
Closing sentence: "Let us dedicate ourselves to that, and say a prayer for our country and our people."

For 10 points:
People, Killed, Prayer and Country.
For 5 points:
Fellow (2),Tonight (2), Dedicate (3).

*5* Now ..."quit yer' squawkin' like a two-pound chicken layin' a three-pound egg" and tell me a malaprop or colloquialism that found its origin/popularity on "The Beverly Hillbillies" (excluding the one I just used, that is ....)

For 10 points:
"As tongue-tied as a love sick schoolboy...", "fixin' ta...'" (said when Jed was getting ready to do something), "Pretty as a bag filled with striped candy!", "Frisky as a flea on a fat dog ", "We-e-e-ll, doggies!" (a very oft-used one on the show) -and- "Pretty as a mess o' fried catfish!"
For 5 points:
"Fancy leather lunch boxes" (otherwise known as briefcases) (3) -and- "Yer' droppin' yer' bucket down an empty well..." (2).

Bunches more of those expressions to pick from...

And without further ado ~
THE RESULTS!!!

bethfay, cae_16682, Mugaboo, nakarinna .... 40 points!
cinnamOn, Howie72, srini701 .... 35 points!
brandz_mygirl, denni19, szabs, zorba_scank .... 30 points!

Very fun Round for me to tally - I believe everyone was winning it, at some point. Well-played by all for sure! But hearty congratulations -and- a monthly point on the scoreboard to bethfay, cae_16682, Mugaboo and nakarinna this time .
See you all in a couple of weeks!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Sep 06 2007 10:28 AM)

#384334 - Fri Sep 07 2007 11:16 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

We officially declare Round 4 closed!

Results are on their way...

#384335 - Fri Sep 07 2007 11:59 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

RESULTS for ROUND 4

1. Easily visible from a far distance, my very favourite playroom is the "Chain Games".
- Kindly give me the name/title of a chain game we have in here that has "ABC" or "Alphabetical(ly)" in it.

10 points: Alphabetical Sports Chain, ABCs Cities of the World Chain, Alphabetical Phrases, Alphabetical Movie Chain

5 points: Alphabetical Musicians or Songs [3], A Novel ABC Chain [2]

2. Composed at the request of Blanche, Duchess of Lancaster, as a prayer for her private use, "Chaucer's A. B. C." by Geoffrey Chaucer is a classic work of literature that can be enjoyed by all.
- Please pick any line, anywhere in that poem, beginning with the letter "F".

10 points:
“For lo! my sin and my confusion”
“For with the earth accursed was full yore”
“For, certes, Christe's blissful mother dear!”

5 points:
“From which, these misbeliev'd deprived be” [3]
“For ay in you is pity abounding” [3]

3. One of the biggest music venues in Glasgow's city centre, the ABC club was crafted to offer music lovers an extraordinary experience.
- From their official website, in the "Diary" section, please choose an artist/band that is scheduled to perform in November 2007.

10 points: Dodgy

5 points: Good Shoes [3], Deerhunter [3], Beverley Knight [2]

4. ABC Teach, a quality educational site, offers numerous resources for kids, parents, students, teachers, everyone.
- Please give me one of their on-line tools (ABCTools) for creating custom documents.

10 points: Word Walls

5 points: Word Unscrambles [3], Word Shapes [3], Shapebooks [2]

5. Our final ABC is Academia Brasileira de Ciências (Brazilian Academy of Science).
- Please name one of the Academy's former presidents

10 points: Aristides Azevedo Pacheco Leão, Miguel Ozorio de Almeida, Oscar Sala

5 points: Carlos Chagas Filho [4], Candido Firmino de Mello Leitao Junior [2]

The results for Round 4 are:

40 points: Cae_ 16682 ---> Well done!

35 points: Zorba_scank

30 points: (Alphabetically ) Bethfay, Cinnam0n, Gatsby, Mugaboo, Nakarinna, Srini, Szabs

To the 9 guests, who showed up to my little anniversary party, a very warm “Thank you ladies and gentlemen, hope you had some fun!”

And congratulations to Cae who managed to sneak off with a gift – 1 point for September.

#384336 - Sat Sep 08 2007 03:16 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 8 September 8

1. Please give me a member of the FBI's list of Ten Most Wanted Fugitives.
2. Name me a peice of Ballet music by Igor Stravinsky.
3. Give me the Heraldic term of a colour of a Roundel.
4. Tell me the name of a Twelve metre yacht built in either France or Italy.
5. When I did my English Language O'level, I had to answer some questions from an extract "The Prelude" by Wordsworth (Book 1) from line 357 "One summer evening (led by her) I found" down to line 400. From this passage (of 44 lines) please give me any line that does not contain any punctuation.

Round will close at noon (FT time) Wednesday, strictly no late entries as I'm going away for a week (to Somerset). If you want the questions I was given for Q5, ask me and I'll PM them to you.

#384337 - Sat Sep 08 2007 05:36 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Some round 7 questions have magically appeared on your computer screen.

1) Philatelists can buy stamps from a number of countries and territories through New Zealand Post. Please give me the name of one of these countries or territories.
2) Please give me the name of an international airport in New Zealand.
3) Please give me one of the 16 regions that New Zealand can be divided up into.
4) Ten athletes represented New Zealand at the 2007 World Athletics Championships held from August 24th to September 2nd in Osaka, Japan. Please give me the name of one of these athletes.
5) New Zealander Murray Ball created the comic strip "Footrot Flats". Please give me the name of a main character in this cartoon from Footrot Flats

You will find me here if you have any queries.

#384338 - Sat Sep 08 2007 09:43 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
If the Wednesday slot is still open - I'd like to give it a shot at hosting the rounds with Kuu

#384339 - Sat Sep 08 2007 11:36 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Absolutely great, cae_16682! I will change the top post to reflect your Wednesday hosting ... and I think your first spot will be the 19th (unless you and Kuu decide to switch it around - that's entirely up to you two).

#384340 - Sat Sep 08 2007 12:00 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 6 will close on Monday at noon (FT time, which happily coincides with my time! ).

#384341 - Sat Sep 08 2007 12:02 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Wow bethfay, you don't know what you are getting us all in for! cae is marvelous on some of the chain games. He (wait! I think cae is a she!) actually makes me take time to look up answers. Glad to have to helping out cae.

Edited by Jar (Sat Sep 08 2007 12:03 PM)

#384342 - Sat Sep 08 2007 12:05 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
Yes Jar, I'm a she LOL! My name's Caroline ... and thanks for your encouragement.

Speaking of looking up - Gats has got a stumper in the vowels game - wanna give it a try. Cuz I'm lost.

#384343 - Sat Sep 08 2007 12:36 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Been there, done that cae -- the name just jumped at me!

#384344 - Mon Sep 10 2007 11:09 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Round 6 is now closed... results will be up in a couple of hours.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002