Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#384345 - Mon Sep 10 2007 12:42 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 6 Results

12 players entered this round…

1. Horace Junior Grant is an American basketball player who played with the Chicago Bulls (1987-1994) and the Orlando Magic (1994-1999), both of which are NBA (National Basketball Association) Eastern Conference Teams. Name any of the other teams within the NBA Eastern Conference.

For 10 points: Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, New York Knicks, Toronto Raptors

For 5 points: Boston Celtics (2), Cleveland Cavaliers (2), Miami Heat (2)

Not mentioned: New Jersey Nets, Philadelphia 76ers, Milwaukee Bucks, Washington Wizards

2. Horace Silver is an influential American jazz pianist and composer who has released many albums and won many awards, including the Schaefer Award for outstanding Achievement as an Exponent of Modern Jazz in 1963. Name a song from “The Best of Horace Silver” album (Volume 1 or 2).

For 10 points: “Gregory is Here,” “Home Cookin’,” “Opus de Funk,” “Room 608,” “Song for my Father,” “The Jody Grind,” “The Preacher”

For 5 points: “Senor Blues” (2), “Sister Sadie” (3)

Not mentioned: “Doodlin’,” “Cool Eyes,” “Que Pasa,” “Pretty Eyes,” and others

3. William Horace de Vere Cole was a British prankster who often posed as political figures. His most famous trick, the Dreadnought Hoax, involved posing as an Abyssinian prince in order to board the Royal Navy ship the H.M.S. Dreadnought. The term "Abyssinia" has been used historically to describe a region of Ethiopia or the country as a whole. Name one of the nine member states of Ethiopia.

For 10 points: Binshangul Gumuz, Gambela Hizboch, Oromiya, Tigray

For 5 points: Afar (2), Amhara (2), Harari (2), Somali (2)

Not mentioned: Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People's Region (SNNPR)

4. Horace Gundry Alexander was an ornithologist who studied birds in Britain, India, and the US. In recognition of his accomplishments, Alexander was awarded the Padma Bhushan medal, an Indian civilian decoration, in 1984. Please name another person who won the Padma Bhushan award between 1954 and 1990 (inclusive).

For 10 points: Banoo Jehangir Coyaji, Dr. Arunachala Sreenivasan, Dr. D. V. Gundappa, Dr. Lakhumal Hiranand Hiranandani, Father Camille Bulcke, Shri Gopi Nath Mohanty, Haroon Khan Sherwani, Lord Swaraj Paul, Mihir Sen, Ramdhari Singh 'Dinkar'

For 5 points: Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar (2)

Not mentioned: many other winners

5. Quintus Horatius Flaccus, the Roman poet known as Horace, was a preeminent poet of the Roman Empire. Name one of his poems as listed by this website.

For 10 points: “I Have Completed a Monument,” “What Shall a Singer Ask of Apollo,” “You Who Measured the Sea”

For 5 points: “Keep a Tranquil Mind” (3), “The Snows Have Fled” (3), “We All Must Die” (3)

Not Mentioned: “Deep with Snow,” “Pluck the Day,” “It’s Better to Live,” “The Fleeting Years”

Scores:

With 50 points: zorba

With 40 points: bethfay, Howie, Jar, Mugaboo
With 35 points: brandz, cae, cinnam0n, denni, Gatsby, szabs
With 30 points: srini

Congratulations to zorba_scank for earning a perfect score in a very competitive round!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Edited by nakarinna (Mon Sep 10 2007 12:44 PM)

#384346 - Tue Sep 11 2007 06:51 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 11 quiz – September

I sat at the computer last night intending on finding a suitable topic for today’s quiz. I think I was too tired to focus. Today’s quiz is therefore a mish-mash of stuff that I came across on the internet last night. There is no order to the questions below, really reflecting my thought process then (and maybe not just then).

1. Sad to say, I do read the celebrity gossip pages. The MTV VMA held at Las Vegas on September 9 dominated most of the entertainment news (gossip and otherwise) yesterday. Avoiding all the gossip, could you please give me the name of any winner at the awards and the category they won.

2. Fine dining is something I associate with special occasions, difficult to pronounce names of dishes, superb food and a big big bill at the end! I have never been to this place, and am unlikely to unless I win the lottery, but I love the name of this fine dining establishment, “The Fat Duck”. It is one of the top restaurants in the world and is based in a cottage style house in the country village of Bray in Berkshire, England. Its chef and owner is Heston Blumenthal and, in his biography, he stated that he was self-taught in the art of French cuisine as well as in learning French! From the official website of “The Fat Duck”, please give me the name of any dish from its Tasting Menu.

3. Lactose intolerance is characterized by excess gas production, stomach aches and the ‘runs’ and is caused by the decline in the level of the enzyme lactase in the body needed for the proper metabolization of lactose, the sugar found in dairy products. I didn’t know this, but it is apparently normal for humans to experience such declines after weaning. Most adults can drink a small amount of milk daily without experiencing severe symptoms. There are, however, certain human populations who manage to continue producing lactase into adulthood. From this website, please name a human group that has lactose intolerance among its population of between 80% to 100%.

4. I like watching “Mythbusters” on tv. I don’t always understand everything that is explained on the show but Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are great hosts. They are so funny especially Jamie (most people find Adam the funny one) and enthusiastic about whatever they are testing. I like their regular ‘side-kicks’ too. Most of the episodes are filmed in this huge warehouse-like space filled to the brim with various gadgets and materials laid out neatly on metal shelves and bins. I recently discovered that this space is the home of “M5 Industries”, a special effects company owned by Jamie. Please proceed to the website of “M5 Industries” and give me the name of one of its clients from the film industry.

5. In an earlier quiz, I did a question on remedies for the greasy hair of my fave fictional character. Now people with greasy/oily hair tend to have oily skin. Please give me one of the useful tips on managing an oily face as listed on this website. Just the title will do.

Feel free to PM if you need help or clarification on the questions. (I've done my best with Q3 but it's still wordy. Hope it's clear enough though.) This round will close on Friday 14 September midnight FT time.

#384347 - Tue Sep 11 2007 07:22 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Round 10 Quiz

Apologies for my lateness in posting - I had an unexpected outing yesterday evening and was too tuckered out when I got home.

Anyway, the theme for today's quiz is BALLOONS.

1 - I have always enjoyed watching clowns and magicians make balloon animals, but lately this "art" has been taken to unbelievably complex heights. An organization called Balloon HQ sponsors an annual event called "Twist & Shout" for serious balloon animal artistes. This year's event was held in February in Nashville, Tennessee and produced some absolutely amazing contestants. Give the name of one of the balloon creations that took 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the "Small", "Medium" or "Large" categories at the 2007 Twist & Shout competition on this website

2 - A hot air balloon is more correctly called a Montgolfier after the French brothers who developed the modern form of transportation in the eighteenth century. These balloons have been used for sport, recreation and military purposes ever since, but surprisingly there had not been a successful trans-Atlantic flight until 1978 when Ben Abruzzi, Maxie Anderson and Larry Newman finally accomplished the feat. Name one of the balloons that was used for an unsuccessful trans-Atlantic hot air balloon voyage from 1970-1977 from this website

3 - One of the most prolific and beloved storytellers about daring and colorful adventures was Jules Verne. In 1863, Verne published the first of his "Voyages Extraordinaires" novels called Five Weeks in a Balloon. This was the start of an amazing journey for Verne's readers! Name one of the novels from Jules Verne's "Voyages Extraordinaires" series.

4 - In the late 1960s, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and other prominent rock musicians were setting about forming a new group along the lines of The New Yardbirds. According to the story, John Entwhistle and Keith Moon felt that such a group would "go over like a lead balloon" which then gave rise to the idea to call the group "Lead Zeppelin". (A zeppelin is of course actually a dirigible, not a balloon, but who's being picky.) The group's manager suggested dropping the "A" from Lead to keep "thick" Americans from pronouncing it "leed" and so was born Led Zeppelin. Name one of the tracks from Led Zeppelin, the first of the group's albums which was released in 1969.

5 - In The Wizard of Oz, we find out at the end that The Wizard actually arrived in the magical land in a hot-air balloon bearing his name, OZ, after being unable to control his craft's direction leaving a country fair. We also learn that OZ is a shortened version of his initials which he used to promote himself in his trade. Name for me one of the nine names in The Wizard of Oz's real name.

I hope you enjoy the quiz and, as always, if anyone has questions or problems, just let me know!

Edited by bethfay (Tue Sep 11 2007 07:24 AM)

#384348 - Wed Sep 12 2007 10:31 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
An early Round 13 because I'm going trekking to a nearby fort tomorrow.

1. Tori Amos is an American pianist and singer-songwriter. The single "Black Swan” is part of “A Piano: The Collection”, a five disc set spanning her entire career upto 2006. Name any Grammy Award that Tori Amos was nominated for.

2. “The Trumpet of the Swan” is a 2001 animated film loosely based on E. B. White’s book by the same name. Name any actor or actress who has lent his/her voice for this film.

3. The swan is a piece of snooker equipment used for awkward shots. Name any other type of snooker equipment.

4. "The Swan Princess" is a Golden Globe nominated 1994 animated film based on the ballet "Swan Lake". Please name any of the musical numbers from this film.

5. The Walt Disney World Swan is resort hotel located between Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios at Disney World in Orlando, Florida. Name any other Walt Disney World Resort found in Orlando.

Please PM me for any help. This round will close on Sunday at around 9 pm FT time.

Edited to correct an error in Q1.

Edited by zorba_scank (Thu Sep 13 2007 10:19 AM)

#384349 - Wed Sep 12 2007 11:38 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 8 - 12 played

1. Please give me a member of the FBI's list of Ten Most Wanted Fugitives.
For 10 points: Victor Manuel Gerena; Jon Savarino Schillaci; Diego Leon Montoya Sanchez (Captured Monday); Jorge Alberto Lopez-Orozco; Alexis Flores
For 5 points: Glen Stewart Godwin [4]; Robert William Fisher [3]
Not mentioned: Osama bin Laden; James Joseph Bulger; Emigdio Preciado, Jr.

2. Name me a peice of Ballet music by Igor Stravinsky.
For 10 points: L'Histoire du Soldat; The Wedding; Orpheus; The Fairy's Kiss
For 5 points: Jeu de cartes [2]; L'Oiseau de feu (The Firebird) [2]; Petrushka [2]; Pulcinella [2]
Not mentioned: Agon; Apollo; Apollon Musagete; Le Sacre du printemps; Scénes de Ballet

3. Give me the Heraldic term of a colour of a Roundel.
For 10 points: Guze; Hurt; Pellet; Pomme
For 5 points: Golpe [2]; Plate [3]; Torteau [2]
Not allowed: Gules (Gerneral tincture used for red)
Not mentioned: Bezant; Gunstone; Ogress; Orange; Pomeis

4. Tell me the name of a Twelve metre yacht built in either France or Italy.
For 10 points: Cygne
For 5 points: Azzurra I [2]; Azzurra II [3]; Azzurra III [2]; France I [2]; French Kiss [2]
Not mentioned: Chancegger; France II; France III; Challenge France; La Spina; Emilia; Azzurra IV; Italia I; Italia II

5. When I did my English Language O'level, I had to answer some questions from an extract "The Prelude" by Wordsworth (Book 1) from line 357 "One summer evening (led by her) I found" down to line 400. From this passage (of 44 lines) please give me any line that does not contain any punctuation
For 10 points: Worked with a dim and undetermined sense
For 5 points: Until they melted all into one track [4]; And growing still in stature the grim shape [2]; And through the silent water stole my way [5]
Not mentioned: A little boat tied to a willow tree; Pround of his skill to reach a chosen point; As if with a voluntary power instinct

Scores:
40 points: Szabs
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Gatsby722; Howie72; Nakarinna
30 points: Bethfay; Cae_16682; Cinnam0n; Denni19; Srini701
25 points: Jar; Zorba_Scank

Gosh, everyone were knocking each other for six, in fact it was worse than that, knocking each other for five, as five pointers seemed to be the order of the day. How Szabs got so many 10 point questions remains a mystery, but she earns the rounds lone point anyway - well done.

#384350 - Sat Sep 15 2007 01:36 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 11 is closed. Sorry to announce it late, I had to run a last minute errand for my mum. I am waiting for responses from 2 players to a query on their answers. Results will therefore be delayed (hopefully not for too long).

#384351 - Sat Sep 15 2007 09:32 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 10 is closed. Results will be up shortly.

#384352 - Sat Sep 15 2007 09:44 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 11 (September) - Answers

Thank you to all 12 who played! Warm hellos to Lizard_Wizard and MissBecky2007 as this is the first time I have you playing one of my quizzes.

1. Sad to say, I do read the celebrity gossip pages. The MTV VMA held at Las Vegas on September 9 dominated most of the entertainment news (gossip and otherwise) yesterday. Avoiding all the gossip, could you please give me the name of any winner at the awards and the category they won.

For Ten Points:
- Rihanna f/ Jay-Z "Umbrella" (Video of the Year)
- Beyoncé f/ Shakira "Beautiful Liar" (Best Collaboration)
- Fergie (Female Artist of the Year)

For Five Points:
- Justin Timberlake "What Goes Around....Comes Around" - Director: Samuel Bayer (Best Direction) (2)
- Gnarls Barkley "Smiley Faces" - Editor: Ken Mowe (Best Editing) (3)
- Gym Class Heroes (Best New Artist) (2)
- Rihanna f/ Jay-Z "Umbrella" (Monster Single of the Year) (2)

Not mentioned:
- Justin Timberlake (Quadruple Threat of the Year)
- Justin Timberlake (Male Artist of the Year)
- Fall Out Boy (Best Group)
- Justin Timberlake "My Love" - Choreographer: Marty Kudelka (Best Choreography)

2. Fine dining is something I associate with special occasions, difficult to pronounce names of dishes, superb food and a big big bill at the end! I have never been to this place, and am unlikely to unless I win the lottery, but I love the name of this fine dining establishment, “The Fat Duck”. It is one of the top restaurants in the world and is based in a cottage style house in the country village of Bray in Berkshire, England. Its chef and owner is Heston Blumenthal and, in his biography, he stated that he was self-taught in the art of French cuisine as well as in learning French! From the official website of “The Fat Duck”, please give me the name of any dish from its Tasting Menu.

For Ten Points:
- Pine Sherbet Fountain (Pre-hit)
- “Sound of the Sea”
- Red Cabbage Gaspacho Quail Jelly (part of long long name for the first course)
- Roast Foie Gras

For Five Points:
- Mango and Douglas Fir Puree (4)
- Ballotine of Anjou Pigeon (2)
- Hot and Iced Tea (2005) (2)

Not mentioned: Snail Porridge, Salmon Poached with Liquorice, Mrs Marshall’s Margaret Cornet, Parsnip Cereal, Nitro-Scrambled Egg and Bacon Ice Cream

Everything sounds interesting to me except for the Snail Porridge. Ugh!

3. Lactose intolerance is characterized by excess gas production, stomach aches and the ‘runs’ and is caused by the decline in the level of the enzyme lactase in the body needed for the proper metabolization of lactose, the sugar found in dairy products. I didn’t know this, but it is apparently normal for humans to experience such declines after weaning. Most adults can drink a small amount of milk daily without experiencing severe symptoms. There are, however, certain human populations who manage to continue producing lactase into adulthood. From this website, please name a human group that has lactose intolerance among its population of between 80% to 100%.

For Ten Points:
- Northeastern Han Chinese – 92.3%
- Southeast Asians – 98%
- Chinese – 93%

For Five Points:
- Inner Mongolians – 87.9% (4)
- African Bantu – 89% (3)
- Asian Americans – 90% (2)

Not mentioned: Central Asians – 80%, Alaskan Eskimo – 80%, Australian Aborigines – 85%, Thais – 98%, Native Americans – 100%

4. I like watching “Mythbusters” on tv. I don’t always understand everything that is explained on the show but Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are great hosts. They are so funny especially Jamie (most people find Adam the funny one) and enthusiastic about whatever they are testing. I like their regular ‘side-kicks’ too. Most of the episodes are filmed in this huge warehouse-like space filled to the brim with various gadgets and materials laid out neatly on metal shelves and bins. I recently discovered that this space is the home of “M5 Industries”, a special effects company owned by Jamie. Please proceed to the website of “M5 Industries” and give me the name of one of its clients from the film industry.

For Ten Points:
- MGM
- Sony Pictures
- Dimension Films
- New Line Cinema
- Touchstone Pictures
- Warner Bros.

For Five Points:
- Paramount Pictures (2)
- Digital Domain (2)
- Rhythm and Hues (2)

Not mentioned: Castle Rock Entertainment, Columbia Tristar Pictures, Disney, ILM – Industrial Light & Magic, MCA/Universal, Miramax, Twentieth Century Fox

5. In an earlier quiz, I did a question on remedies for the greasy hair of my fave fictional character. Now people with greasy/oily hair tend to have oily skin. Please give me one of the useful tips on managing an oily face as listed on this website. Just the title will do.

For Ten Points:
- Carry Tissues
- Make a Scrub
- Masque it
- Pull your Hair Back

For Five Points:
- Try Aloe Vera (2)
- Chill Out With Cold Water Rinses (2)
- Use Water-Based Cosmetics (2)
- Don’t Touch (2)

Not mentioned: Keep Skin Squeaky Clean, Wipe With Astringents, Ban Moisturizers

Results! Everyone did a great job with their answers and despite some very popular answers, one person did emerge a clear winner this round, and so one point goes to

Top Place:
40 points: Cae_16682

Other results:
35 points: Mugaboo, MissBecky2007, Srini, Szabs, Nakarinna, Zorba_Scank

30 points: Lizard_Wizard, Denni, Gatsby, Jar, Cinnamon

#384353 - Sat Sep 15 2007 10:02 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 10 Results

There were 11 great players! for the BALLOON round.

1 - Give the name of one of the balloon creations that took 1st, 2nd or 3rd place in the "Small", "Medium" or "Large" categories at the 2007 Twist & Shout competition.
For 10 points: "Under the Sea"; "Birds at Rest"; "Coke Bottle"; "Dinosaur Skeleton"
For 5 points: "Squirrel" (3); "Camera and Film" (2); "Mouse" (2)
Not mentioned: "Motorcycle"; "Masquerade"

2 - Name one of the balloons that was used for an unsuccessful trans-Atlantic hot air balloon voyage from 1970-1977.
For 10 points: Eagle
For 5 points: Yankee Zephyr (4); Silver Fox (4); Windborne (2)
Not mentioned: Free Life; Light Heart; Odyssey; Spirit of '76; Double Eagle

3 - Name one of the novels from Jules Verne's "Voyages Extraordinaires" series.
For 10 points: The Archipelago of Fire; The Survivors of the Chancellor; The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa; The Vanished Diamond; The Headstrong Turk; Journeys and Adventures of Capt. Hatteras; Mathias Sandorf; Eight Hundred Leagues on the Amazon; Two Years Vacation; The Mighty Orinoco; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
10 points to all!!

4 - Name one of the tracks from "Led Zeppelin", the first of the group's albums which was released in 1969.
For 10 points: "I Can't Quit You Baby"; "Dazed and Confused"; Communications Breakdown"; "Your Time is Gonna Come"; "Black Mountain Side"
For 5 points: "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" (4); "You Shook Me" (2)
Not mentioned: "Good Times Bad Times"; "How Many More Times"

5 - Name for me one of the nine names in The Wizard of Oz's real name.
For 10 points: Phadrig; Diggs
For 5 points: Oscar (3); Norman (2); Emmannuel (2); Isaac (2)
Not mentioned: Zoroaster; Henkel; Ambroise
The Wizard of Oz's full given name was Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs or O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D.

So from balloon art to Montgolfiers to Jules Verne to Led Zeppelin to the Wizard of Oz ... quite a journey. And the final standings are :

With 45 points: srini
With 40 points: nakarinna
With 35 points: mugaboo; missbecky2007; gatsby; jar; brandz_mygirl; zorba_scank; cae_16682
With 30 points: denni; szabs

Welcome to newcomer missbecky2007 - hope to see more of you in the 'Rounds!

A very well done! job by srini for earning a point for September ... and I guess I'd better get busy now if I want to catch up with him! (Don't look back, srini - it's bad luck - mwa ha ha )

#384354 - Sun Sep 16 2007 11:28 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Posting these early (again) because, quite frankly, I can't think of anything better to do at the moment ...

Round 17 ~ Monday

'Twas a quiet Sunday night and I was breezing through channels, looking for something different. Something that caught my eye. Something that looked somewhat sensible ... yet bordered on some lunatic fringe . In seconds I lucked onto a silent film (full of crafty lighting, inviting music, spooky goings on and, of course, all those bloated gestures that came with the silents). It was The Cat and the Canary, released in 1927. The original version! And, naturally, I immediately found it cool enough to theme [somewhat loosely] a Trivia Round using it. Let us embark, then....

1. The story was not exactly original, even 80 years ago. A lovely young girl (Annabelle West) attends the reading of her uncle's will in a foreboding mansion [eek!]. She is met there by two other relatives, distant as they were, who might be named heirs as well. They are the dastardly Charles Wilder [hiss!] and the bumbling hero Paul Jones [yay!]. Foul play ensues in a hurry [gasp!]. The film was made five times so far, the version I watched being the first of three more of them using the exact same title (the other two were in Spanish and Swedish - so we'll skip them). Please tell me the names of one the nine actors who played Annabelle, Charles or Paul (or their re-named incarnations) in any of those three same-titled versions. Warning: one of the remakes kept the characters pretty much as conceived BUT changed their names to Joyce, Wally and Charles - any of those actors who played them would be correct.
2. The mid-1920's saw hauntings of large houses and helpless humans being stuck in them as a very popular device, even in literature. In 1924, one of (entirely ghoulish) author H.P. Lovecraft's well-received short stories showed up titled "The Rats in the Walls". I think it's safe to assume that the noises behind those walls weren't rodents on the prowl, don't you ? Kindly tell me one of the characters that gets spooked in "The Rats in the Walls" (and the narrator won't count as one of them, OK?).
3. The original movie debuted on September 9, 1927 at The Colony Theatre in New York - and got some pretty darned good reviews at the time as well. As basic as it looks now, back then it was quite an accomplishment (the dramatic lighting and eerie superimpositions in the camera work alone was, and really still is, nicely impressive). The music played to accompany the movie was well-chosen, too. But all that stuff aside, 1927 was also a year that more than a few notable-to-be vocalists were born. Please tell me a noteworthy singer (any genre, just as long as they were predominately known for crooning as opposed to playing the trumpet, etc.) who was born in 1927. Any country.
4. The star of the 1927 version was the beguiling Laura La Plante (oops ~ there's one answer you won't have to look up ). Born in 1904 in St. Louis, Missouri, she was chosen as one of the The WAMPAS (Western Association of Motion Picture Advertisers) Baby Stars of 1923. For several years, the organization chose thirteen girls annually with, shall we say, a very low rate of their selections ever becoming "stars" for any length of time - the onslaught of "talking" motion pictures put the brakes on many of them (Joan Crawford, Clara Bow, Ginger Rogers and Joan Blondell being some of the most noteworthy exceptions). This time, I'd like to know the city where any of the other girls in that WAMPAS 'Class of 1923' were born, if you have a minute.
5. 'Turner Classic Movies' (or TCM) is the station that aired the movie several days ago (the oft-used Channel 53 at my house). They love movies there [even though they colorize a few of them ] and this month are highlighting the famed Teddington Studios, based in London. They began as a greenhouse (literally) in the very early 1900s, starting as a place for film enthusiasts to shoot their work, grew, became one of the few bona fide British-based studios to survive WWII and are still in operation (after changing with the times and medias as they went). Might you have a look at the TCM site and tell me one of the thirteen films they will be showing from the early days of the honorable 'Teddington Studios' in the month of September 2007? ~ they'll air them on September 17th and 24th. Thank you so much.

This'll close around noon on Thursday. Notice will be aired. PM if anything sounds muddy or otherwise unclear, OK ?
Have a superlative week, folks!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Sun Sep 16 2007 08:31 PM)

#384355 - Sun Sep 16 2007 08:52 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Round 13 will close after 24 hours. Hurry! Hurry!

#384356 - Mon Sep 17 2007 04:43 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
I was going to close round 7 last week but I forgot....

As it is now late at night and I am too tired from watching rugby World Cup matches and cricket 20/20 World Cup matches, I will close round 7 in the morning, about 11-12 hours from this typing.

I will also try and catch up with rounds that are still open and I have yet to answer.

#384357 - Mon Sep 17 2007 05:52 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I will post Round 15 later today - I had planned on doing it last night and but my daughter was in a car accident and we were in the ER until 2AM. She is ok, other than a bad case of whiplash (which in itself is very painful) and the fact that her car was totalled and not worth very much.

#384358 - Mon Sep 17 2007 08:05 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Oh, my! Glad to hear your daughter escaped in (essentially) one piece, cinnamOn . You're right, though. Whiplash is no picnic indeed!
I hope she's back 'in the pink' very soon!

#384359 - Mon Sep 17 2007 10:38 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Goodness, it's good that your daughter is going to be okay cinnam0n. Gats is right, whiplash is no fun at all.

Speaking of pink -- pink you say? Pink you say?! PINK YOU SAY? Could that be the next theme??

#384360 - Mon Sep 17 2007 09:16 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Round 13 is now closed. Results coming up.

Glad your daughter's ok now, Cinnamon.

#384361 - Mon Sep 17 2007 09:51 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Round 13 Results:

13 wonderful players for Round 13!

1. Tori Amos is an American pianist and singer-songwriter. The single "Black Swan” is part of “A Piano: The Collection”, a five disc set spanning her entire career upto 2006. Name any Grammy Award that Tori Amos was nominated for.

For 10 points: Female Rock Vocal Performance - 2002 (Strange Little Girl), Best Alternative Music Album - 2002 (Strange Little Girls), Female Rock Vocal Performance - 1999 (Raspberry Swirl), Best Alternative Music Album - 1997 (Boys For Pele)

For 5 points: Female Rock Vocal Performance - 2000 (Bliss) (2), Best Alternative Music Album - 2000 (To Venus and Back) (2), Best Alternative Music Album - 1995 (Under The Pink) (3), Best Alternative Music Album - 1999 (From The Choirgirl Hotel) (2)

Not mentioned: Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Packaging - 2004 (Scarlet's Walk)

2. “The Trumpet of the Swan” is a 2001 animated film loosely based on E. B. White’s book by the same name. Name any actor or actress who has lent his/her voice for this film.

For 10 points: Reese Witherspoon, Pamela Adlon, Mary Steenburgen, Sam Gifaldi, Carol Burnett, Joe Mantegna, Julie Nathanson

For 5 points: Seth Green (2), Steve Vinovich (2), Corey Burton (2)

Not mentioned: Jason Alexander, Melissa Disney, David Jeremiah, Little Richard and many more

3. The swan is a piece of snooker equipment used for awkward shots. Name any other type of snooker equipment.

For 10 points: Cue, Extension, Cue tips, Hook Rest, Extended Spider

For 5 points: Ball marker (2), Spider (2), Extended Rest (2), Rest (2)

Not mentioned: Chalk, Triangle/Rack

4. "The Swan Princess" is a Golden Globe nominated 1994 animated film based on the ballet "Swan Lake". Please name any of the musical numbers from this film.

For 10 points: Far Longer Than Forever, No Fear (reprise)

For 5 points: Princesses on Parade (2), This Is My Idea (4), No More Mr. Nice Guy (5)

Not mentioned: Practice, Practice, Practice; Far Longer Than Forever (finale), Eternity

5. The Walt Disney World Swan is resort hotel located between Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios at Disney World in Orlando, Florida. Name any other Walt Disney World Resort found in Orlando.

For 10 points: Disney's All-Star Movies Resort, Wilderness Lodge, Old Key West Resort, Coronado Springs Resort, Boardwalk Inn, Saratoga Springs Resort, Disney's Polynesian Resort

For 5 points: Disney's All-Star Sports Resort (2), Pop Century Resort (3)

I had to disallow Walt Disney World Speedway since it's a racing facility and not a resort.

Not mentioned: Port Orleans French Quarter, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Walt Disney World Dolphin and more

Scores:
40 points: Denni, Nakarinna & Brandz
35 points: Missbecky2007, Gatsby, Srini, Cinnamon, Bethfay, Howie
30 points: Jar, Cae, Szabs
25 points: Mugaboo

Welcome to Missbecky2007 and congrats to Denni, Nakarinna and Brandz. Thank you all for playing!

#384362 - Tue Sep 18 2007 01:41 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

I know I am late again but round 7 is now closed.

#384363 - Tue Sep 18 2007 02:38 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 31 saw 12 tremendous players sending answers in:

1) Philatelists can buy stamps from a number of countries and territories through New Zealand Post. Please give me the name of one of these countries or territories.
10 Points: Tonga, Hong Kong, Samoa
5 Points: Fiji (2), Malta (3), Pitcairn Is (2), Gibraltar (2)
Not Mentioned: Ross Dependency, Great Britain, United Nations, Vanuatu

2) Please give me the name of an international airport in New Zealand.
10 Points: none
5 Points: Auckland Airport (2), Palmerston North Airport (3), Wellington Airport (3), Christchurch Airport (2), Queenstown Airport (2)
Not Mentioned: Hamilton Airport, Dunedin Airport

3) Please give me one of the 16 regions that New Zealand can be divided up into.
10 Points: Auckland, Hawke's Bay, Taranaki, West Coast, Southland
5 Points: Wellington (3), Nelson (2), Marlborough (2)
Not Mentioned: Northland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, East Cape, Manawatu-Wanganui, Tasman, Canterbury, Otago

4) Ten athletes represented New Zealand at the 2007 World Athletics Championships held from August 24th to September 2nd in Osaka, Japan. Please give me the name of one of these athletes.
10 Points: Grant Hyett, Michael Aish, Kimberley Smith
5 Points: Valerie Vili (5), Nina Rillstone (4)
Not Mentioned: James Dolphin, Nick Willis, Tony Sargisson, Stuart Farquhar, Beatrice Faumuina

5) New Zealander Murray Ball created the comic strip "Footrot Flats". Please give me the name of a main character in this cartoon from Footrot Flats.
10 Points: "The Dog", Wallace "Wal" Footrot, Janice "Pongo" Footrot, Dolores Monrovia Godwit "Aunt Dolly" Footrot
5 Points: Socrates "Cooch" Windgrass (2), Rangi Wiremu Waka Jones (3), Horse (3)
Not Mentioned: Dahlene "Cheeky" Hobson, Prince Charles

Some observations for you to ponder:
* Despite there being 12 players and only 7 airports, 2 airports were not mentioned.
* Shot put and marathon were popular picks with Valerie Vili in the shot put getting the most picks as well as winning New Zealand's only medal.
* Prince Charles was not popular at all.

Now for the results:

35 points - Bethfay, Cae16682, Brandz_mygirl, Nakarinna, Cinnam0n, and Denni
30 points - Srini, Szabs, and Zorba
25 points - Jar, Mugaboo, and Gatsby

Thank you to everyone that played and well done to Bethfay, Cae16682, Brandz_mygirl, Nakarinna, Cinnam0n and Denni who all receive a valuable September point.

#384364 - Tue Sep 18 2007 06:42 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I do believe that is the first time I was ever a winner with 35 points!

All right, FINALLY, here are the questions for Round 15! Thanks to all of you who have expressed your well-wishes for my daughter. She is doing well, and has camped out back here at home since she is not allowed to drive (and doesn't HAVE anything to drive).

Round 15

This round is a conglomeration of thoughts that stemmed from looking back over my week!

1. The whole family went out to dinner Saturday night at Red Lobster,one of our favorite restaurants. (Maybe that's because one daughter works there and can get us a 25% discount if we take her along! ) One of my favorite things to order is "Create Your Own Feast." Please give me one of the ten items that can be chosen from for this "Feast."

2. I babysat my grandson on Friday, and his favorite thing in the entire world is Thomas the Tank Engine (and his friends). He loves watching the television show, and has piles of trains and tracks. Name any one of Thomas' train friends.

3. Two of my favorite television shows, Monk and Psych are on Friday night, and I look forward to them all week! Name any episode from this season of either show. (For Monk this would be season 6 and for Psych it would be season 2.)

4. Some of my time this week has been spent helping my youngest daughter prepare for her ACT test, which is a college admission examination that she will be taking next month. From their website, please give me one of the general test-taking tips that is mentioned.

5. I finally finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows this week! The latest movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, was released in July. Please name a country in which it premiered on July 11.

If you need any help, just let me know! This round will close on Friday at noon FT time.

#384365 - Tue Sep 18 2007 06:52 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 18 - Tuesday

1 - Remember that we had a question about Geoffrey Chaucer, not so long ago? Well, the 'dude' died....on October 25, 1400.
Please find another notable person who died in 1400.

2 - Long after his death, Geoffrey Chaucer 'appears' in the 2001 movie "A Knight's Tale" portrayed by Paul Bettany (in my personal opinion he was awesome in that role ).
Give me the name of another character played by Paul Bettany. [No TV series or TV movies, please]

3 - Paul Bettany was born in Harlesden, London, UK. A district in the Borough of Brent, Harlesden's main focal point is the Jubilee Clock which commemorates Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
Kindly pick another location of a Jubilee Clock, anywhere on the globe.

4 - The Golden Jubilee is the name of a famous yellow-brown diamond, currently the largest faceted diamond in the world. It was discovered in 1985 in the Prime Mine in South Africa, it weights 545.67 carats (109.13 g) and has received the papal blessing of Pope John Paul II.
Please name for me another famous diamond that is yellow or brown in color.

5 - Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand is the current owner of The Golden Jubilee diamond. A very gifted and artistic nature, King Bhumibol is a painter, photographer, author, translator, jazz musician and an accomplished sailor and sailboat designer.
Would you be so kind as to give me the title of a song composed by HM the King?

This round will be closed on Saturday at noon (Fun Trivia time). You can PM me at large with any clarification needs .

#384366 - Tue Sep 18 2007 09:07 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
ROUND 19 - Wednesday, September 19

Posting early - since I have nothing better to do at the moment and also I realized I have visitors coming tomorrow

This is my first time hosting. So please bear with me.

The theme for today's rounds is PHOENIX

1. The Phoenix is a mythological sacred firebird. It is a symbol of resurrection, immortality, and life-after-death in Christianity. It is called by different names in various cultures. Give me one of the many names of the phoenix in any culture.

2. Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix is the fifth book in the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. Albus Dumbledore is the leader of the Order of the Phoenix. From HERE give me the name of a member of the Order.

3. Phoenix is the capital of Arizona, USA. Phoenix has ten sister cities as listed on its Wikipedia entry. Name one of them.

4. The Flight of The Phoenix is a novel by Elleston Trevor which is one of the pseudonyms of British novelist Trevor Dudley-Smith. Name one of his other pseudonyms.

5. Phoenix is a southern constellation which was created by Dutch Astronomers Pieter Dirkszoon Keyser and Frederick de Houtman between 1595 and 1597. During this period, they discovered 11 other constellations which were introduced in a star-atlas called Uranometria. Give me the name of one of these 11 other constellations.

This round will close Sunday, 23rd September, FT Time

Feel free to PM me, if you find any problem with the questions - I'll do my best

#384367 - Wed Sep 19 2007 11:12 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 17 will be closing app. 12 hours from the time of this post, I reckon...

#384368 - Thu Sep 20 2007 08:19 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 20:

1. Candling is the method of shining a light behind an egg in order to assess growth within the egg. It is often used in conjunction with incubation. Please visit this website on incubation & embryology and name one of the activities listed.

2. “Candle” is also the name of a science fiction novel by John Barnes. “Candle” is in the Century Next Door series. Name a book in one of the following John Barnes series: Thousand Cultures, Time Raider, Timeline Wars, or Jak Jinnaka.

3. A candle wrapped in barbed wire is the symbol of human-rights organization Amnesty International (AI). Name one of AI's appeals for action between March and August 2007.

4. “Candle” is one of the tracks on Sonic Youth’s album “Daydream Nation.” Name any other track on
this album (songs included on either the original release or the deluxe edition are acceptable).

5. Candles are often used in celebrations by a wide variety of faiths and cultures. Name a holiday or celebration in which candles traditionally play a role. (For this purpose I will define holiday/celebration as occurring once per year - i.e. not a weekly, monthly, or seasonal celebration - although holidays that span multiple consecutive days are fine.)

If you have any questions, comments, or clarifications, PM me. This round will close Monday at noon FT time. Good luck!

#384369 - Thu Sep 20 2007 10:16 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 17 ~ "The Cat and the Canary"
11 terrific players this time - thank you all!

*1* Please tell me the names of one the nine actors who played Annabelle, Charles or Paul (or their re-named incarnations) in any of those three same-titled versions. Warning: one of the remakes kept the characters pretty much as conceived BUT changed their names to Joyce, Wally and Charles - any of those actors who played them would be correct.

For 10 Points:
Carol Lynley (1979 version).
For 5 Points:
Laura La Plante (2), Forrest Stanley (2) [both of the 1927 version], Paulette Goddard (3) and Bob Hope (3) [both of the 1939 version].

Not mentioned: Creighton Hale ['27 version], Douglass Montgomery ['39 version], Peter McEnery and Michael Callan ['79 version].

*2* Kindly tell me one of the characters that gets spooked in "The Rats in the Walls" (and the narrator won't count as one of them, OK?).

For 10 Points:
Edward Norrys.
For 5 Points:
Doctor Trask (3), Alfred Delapore (3), Thornton Gilbert de la Poer (2) and Sir William Brinton (2).

The other unfortunate house guests were Lady Mary de la Poer, Lady Margaret Trevor, Walter de la Poer and Randolph Delapore. TRIVIAL NOTE: That last name prevalent in the character list (Delapore -or- de la Poer) is an anagrammed play on the name/initials of Edgar Allen Poe. Just in case you were interested .

*3* Please tell me a noteworthy singer (any genre, just as long as they were predominately known for crooning as opposed to playing the trumpet, etc.) who was born in 1927. Any country.
VERY diverse and excellent answers here ...

ALL for 10 Points:
Ed Ames (pop/balladeer), Cleo Laine (jazz), Patti Page (pop/country), Jimmy Martin ("The King of Bluegrass"), Johnnie Ray (pop), Eddie Fontaine (pop), Charles Louvin (country), Colette Dereál (French cabaret), Alfredo Kraus (Italian tenor), Harry Belafonte (calypso/pop) and Eartha Kitt (pop/blues).

*4* This time, I'd like to know the city where any of the other girls in that WAMPAS 'Class of 1923' were born, if you have a minute.
...on this one, while I was looking for their home city, I accepted the actress's names as answers, too (not a problem figuring out 'who went where' )...

For 10 Points:
Brooklyn, New York [Virginia Faire], Billings, Montana [Helen Lynch], Buffalo, New York [Kathleen Key - great-granddaughter of Frances Scott Key, the dude who wrote "The Star Spangled Banner"], Denver, Colorado [Ethel Shannon].
For 5 Points:
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania [Eleanor Boardman] (3), London, England [Margaret Leahy - who made only one movie in her entire 'career'] (2) and Little Rock, Arkansas [Betty Francisco] (2).

Other cities represented were Tampa (Florida), Fort Worth (Texas), Montreal (Quebec), Kansas City (Missouri) and South Pittsburg (Tennessee).

*5* Might you have a look at the TCM site and tell me one of the thirteen films they will be showing from the early days of the honorable 'Teddington Studios' in the month of September 2007? ~ they'll air them on September 17th and 24th. Thank you so much.

For 10 Points:
The Church Mouse (1935), Man of the Moment (1935), The Dark Tower (1943), Crown vs. Stevens (1936), Sons of the Sea (1941), Something Always Happens (1934), The Prime Minister (1941), The Peterville Diamond (1942).
For 5 Points:
Crime Unlimited (1935) (3).

Others are Illegal (1932), Flying Fortress (1942), Father Takes a Walk (1936) and This Was Paris (1942).

The Results!

This time I can't really say, in terms of a winner, there was ever any question as the answers rolled in. The first person to send responses held onto the top spot [tightly] from the very beginning to the very end . After that, though, the race was very very close indeed!

cae_16682 .... 45 Points!
Mugaboo, nakarinna .... 40 Points!
bethfay, denni19, Howie72, Jar, srini701, szabs, zorba_scank .... 35 Points!
brandz_mygirl .... 30 points!

Ergo and thusly, a well-deserved monthly point goes to cae_16682 ! Everyone did a great job and I appreciate(d) all participation (and I especially enjoyed all those eclectic vocalists you folks came up with!). Be well. Enjoy the days as they happen!
See you in a couple of weeks...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002