#384371 - Fri Sep 21 2007 10:57 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
And only 24 hours left for Round 18.

#384372 - Fri Sep 21 2007 10:32 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
24 hour call for Round 19 - hurry, hurry, hurry!

#384373 - Sat Sep 22 2007 03:20 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 22 September 22

1. On the way down to Somerset last week, I saw many lorries. My impression was that I saw more Eddie Stobart haulage wagons than anyone else. Please give one of Eddie Stobart's Transport depots.
2. I broke my journey both ways at the Crofters Hotel in Garstang. Please tell me one of the starters, I might have had from the brasserie menu.
3. On the way home, we were evicted out of the main restaurant, into the bar area for breakfast because United Utilities were having a conference there. Name any country that United Utilities provide water services to.
4. On Saturday in Somerset, I visted Wells Cathedral. Please name any Bishop of Bath or Wells prior to Bishop Reginald starting to build this Cathedral.
5. On Sunday I visted Stourhead house and gardens (in Wiltshire). Please give me any feature of the gardens.

PM me with the answers before noon Wednesday (FT time), or you'll be disappointed, as that's when the round will close.

Edited to avoid confusion on Q4.

Edited by Mugaboo (Sat Sep 22 2007 12:27 PM)

#384374 - Sat Sep 22 2007 05:06 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
It seems that it is again my turn to find some questions. Here they are, and we shall call this round 21.

1) The 2007 Qantas Television Awards are being held on October 12th, 2007. Please give me one of the 10 award categories under the "News/Current Affairs" section.
2) The 42nd annual New Zealand music Awards (the Tuis) are to be held on October 18th, 2007. Please give me a finalist in one of the following categories - "Best Group", "Best Male Solo Artist", or "Best Female Solo Artist".
3) The Halberg Awards are New Zealand's premier sports awards. Please give me a winner from any decade in the 1900's in the "New Zealand Decade Sport Champions" category.
4) The 2007 Montana New Zealand Book Award winners were announced on July 31st, 2007. Please give me one of the 8 categories involved.
5) The 11th New Zealand Ice Cream Awards were announced on May 31st, 2007. Please give me one of the silver or gold award winners from Category 7(a) - Export Ice Cream.

If these questions make no sense then I am just a query away.

#384375 - Sat Sep 22 2007 12:33 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 18 is closed. The results will appear today.

#384376 - Sat Sep 22 2007 04:28 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

RESULTS for ROUND 18

11 players for this one – THANK YOU!

1 - Remember that we had a question about Geoffrey Chaucer, not so long ago? Well, the 'dude' died....on October 25, 1400.
Please find another notable person who died in 1400.

10 points: John Holland, 1st Duke of Exeter; Mahmud (mansa); Thomas Holland, 1st Duke of Surrey; Alice Perrers; John Montacute, 3rd Earl of Salisbury

5 points: Pietro Pileo di Prata [2], Richard II of England [2], Frederick, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg [2]

2 - Long after his death, Geoffrey Chaucer 'appears' in the 2001 movie "A Knight's Tale" portrayed by Paul Bettany (in my personal opinion he was awesome in that role ).
Give me the name of another character played by Paul Bettany. [No TV series or TV movies, please]

10 points: Jimmy ("Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"), Y ("Euston Road"), Tom Edison ("Dogville"), Shaw ("The Suicide Club"), Philip ("The Land Girls"), Nicholas ("The Reckoning"), Peter Colt ("Wimbledon"), Charles ("A Beautiful Mind"), Young Gangster (" Gangster No. 1 ")

5 points: Silas ("The Da Vinci Code") [2]

**I accepted "Young Gangster" as the name of a character, because my question wasn’t very clearly expressed and I am not allowed to expect anybody to read my mind .

3 - Paul Bettany was born in Harlesden, London, UK. A district in the Borough of Brent, Harlesden's main focal point is the Jubilee Clock which commemorates Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
Kindly pick another location of a Jubilee Clock, anywhere on the globe.

10 points: Sungai Petani, Malaysia; Newmarket, England

5 points: Thornford, England [4], Christchurch, New Zealand [2], Penang, Maylasia [2]

**I am sorry for this, but I had to disallow the answer "Harlesden" . I specifically asked for another location, Harlesden being already mentioned in the question.

4 - The Golden Jubilee is the name of a famous yellow-brown diamond, currently the largest faceted diamond in the world. It was discovered in 1985 in the Prime Mine in South Africa, it weights 545.67 carats (109.13 g) and has received the papal blessing of Pope John Paul II.
Please name for me another famous diamond that is yellow or brown in color.

10 points: Vainer-Briolette, Sancy, Star of Peace, Deepdene, Great Chrysanthemum, Pumpkin

5 points: Florentine [3], Shah (Shah of Persia) [2]

5 - Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand is the current owner of The Golden Jubilee diamond. A very gifted and artistic nature, King Bhumibol is a painter, photographer, author, translator, jazz musician and an accomplished sailor and sailboat designer.
Would you be so kind as to give me the title of a song composed by HM the King?

10 points: Kaew Ta Kwan Jai, Falling Rain, Chata Cheewit, Duang Jai Kap Kwarm Ruk, Dewa Pa Ku Fun, Yim Soo, Muer Soam Song, Sai Fon

5 points: Ruk Kuen Ruen [3]

The results for Round 18 are:

50 points: Srini ---> Great job, good Sir !

45 points: Bethfay

40 points: Howie, Mugaboo, Zorba

35 points: Brandz, Cae, Gatsby, Jar, Nakarinna

30 points: Szabs

For his 5 inspired picks Srini gets another point for this month. Well done!

#384377 - Sat Sep 22 2007 08:00 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 19 will close in approximately 3 hours from now.

Edited since I got the time-zones wrong

Edited by cae_16682 (Sat Sep 22 2007 10:41 PM)

#384378 - Sat Sep 22 2007 10:40 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 19 is now CLOSED Results to follow shortly

Edited by cae_16682 (Sat Sep 22 2007 10:44 PM)

#384379 - Sat Sep 22 2007 11:05 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

RESULTS FOR ROUND 19

11 amazing players sent in their entries for Round 19 – PHOENIX

Without further ado…

1. The Phoenix is a mythological sacred firebird. It is a symbol of resurrection, immortality, and life-after-death in Christianity. It is called by different names in various cultures. Give me one of the many names of the phoenix in any culture.

For 10 Points:
fenikss (Latvian), Zhar-ptitsa (Russian), Angha (Persian)

For 5 Points:
Fenghuang (China) (3), Bennu (Egypt) (3), Hou-ou (Japan) (2)

Not mentioned:
Huma (Persian), Simurgh (Persian)

2. Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix is the fifth book in the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. Albus Dumbledore is the leader of the Order of the Phoenix. From HERE give me the name of a member of the Order.

For 10 Points:
Sirius Black, Aberforth Dumbledore, Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Hestia Jones, Caradoc Dearborn, Bill Weasley

For 5 Points:
Minerva McGonagall (2), Rubeus Hagrid (2)

Not mentioned:
Remus Lupin. Kingsley Shacklebolt, Emmeline Vance, Dedalus Diggle, Elphias Doge, Severus Snape and so many others

3. Phoenix is the capital of Arizona, USA. Phoenix has ten sister cities as listed on its Wikipedia entry. Name one of them.

For 10 Points:
Prague, Catania, Chengdu

For 5 Points:
Grenoble (2), Ramat-Gan (4), Calgary(2)

Not mentioned:
Ennis (Ireland), Hermosillo (Sonora, Mexico), Himeji (Japan), Taipei (Taiwan)

4. The Flight of The Phoenix is a novel by Elleston Trevor which is one of the pseudonyms of British novelist Trevor Dudley-Smith. Name one of his other pseudonyms.

For 10 Points:
Adam Hall, Mansell Black, Simon Rattray,

For 5 Points:
Roger Fitzalan (3), Trevor Burgess (3), Howard North (2)

Not mentioned:
Warwick Scott, Caesar Smith and Lesley Stone

5. Phoenix is a southern constellation which was created by Dutch Astronomers Pieter Dirkszoon Keyser and Frederick de Houtman between 1595 and 1597. During this period, they discovered 11 other constellations which were introduced in a star-atlas called Uranometria. Give me the name of one of these 11 other constellations.

For 10 Points:
Apus, Triangulum Australe, Tucana

For 5 Points:
Indus (2), Hydrus (2), Pavo (2), Dorado (2)

Not mentioned:
Chamaeleon, Grus, Musca, Volans

This round was a closely contested one. Everyone sent in great answers. But yet, only two of them emerged winners out of the worthy competitors.

Point Tally:

With 40 Points: bethfay, szabs
With 35 Points: nakarinna, zorba_scank, srini701, Gatsby722, howie72, brandz_mygirl
With 30 Points: Mugaboo
With 25 Points: denni19, jar

Bethfay and szabs each get a point for their efforts. Well done!

Thank you, all, for bearing with me and encouraging me while I hosted my first round. You guys are GOLD!

Edited by cae_16682 (Sat Sep 22 2007 11:06 PM)

#384380 - Mon Sep 24 2007 11:53 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 20 Results

12 players entered this round…

1. Candling is the method of shining a light behind an egg in order to assess growth within the egg. It is often used in conjunction with incubation. Please visit this website on incubation & embryology and name one of the activities listed.

For 10 points: Crossword Puzzle, Egg Sizing, The Thermometer, Needs Comparison Chart

For 5 points: Science Vocabulary (2), Temperature Comparison Chart (3), What Kind of Heat? (3)

Not mentioned: Parts of the Eggs, Parts of the Chicken, Which Egg is Fertile?, Egg Grading, Unscramble the Scrambled Eggs, Hidden Words

2. “Candle” is also the name of a science fiction novel by John Barnes. “Candle” is in the Century Next Door series. Name a book in one of the following John Barnes series: Thousand Cultures, Time Raider, Timeline Wars, or Jak Jinnaka.

For 10 points: “Timeline Wars,” “A Million Open Doors,” “The Merchants of Souls,” Patton’s Spaceship,” “Caesar’s Bicycle”

For 5 points: “Duke of Uranium” (3), “A Princess of the Aerie” (2), “Washington’s Dirigible” (2)

Not mentioned: “Earth Made of Glass,” “The Armies of Memory,” “Wartide,” “Battle Cry,” “Union Fires,” “In the Hall of the Martian King”

3. A candle wrapped in barbed wire is the symbol of human-rights organization Amnesty International (AI). Name one of AI's appeals for action between March and August 2007.

For 10 points: Greece trafficking, Take action against enforced disappearances!, Convention against Enforced Disappearance, Action: The EU must show leadership in revealing the truth about rendition, Stop “honour killings” in Iraq

For 5 points: Freedom of expression for Moroccan human rights activists (3), Hungary: justice denied to victims of rape in the home (2), Bosnia: Stop ethnic discrimination in employment (2)

Not mentioned: Overcoming the Obstacles: Human rights activist in Guatemala and Honduras, Syria: Stop the Persecution of Human Rights Defenders and Advocates of Reform

4. “Candle” is one of the tracks on Sonic Youth’s album “Daydream Nation.” Name any other track on this album.

For 10 points: “Hey Joni,” “The Wonder,” “Teen Age Riot,” “Trilogy,” “Kissability”

For 5 points: “’Cross the Breeze” (2), “Total Trash” (3), “Eric’s Trip” (2)

Not mentioned: “Silver Rocket,” “The Sprawl,” “Providence,” and several others

5. Candles are often used in celebrations by a wide variety of faiths and cultures. Name a holiday or celebration in which candles traditionally play a role.

For 10 points: Halloween, Epiphany, Easter, Saint Lucia Day, Imbolc, Mid-Autumn Festival (which will take place tomorrow!), Diwali

For 5 points: Hanukkah (3), Kwanzaa (2)

Not Mentioned: many, many others!

Scores:

With 45 points: missbecky2007, brandz_mygirl

With 40 points: bethfay, srini701
With 35 points: Gatsby722, denni19, szabs, zorba_scank
With 30 points: Mugaboo, cae_16682, Jar, Lizard_Wizard

Congratulations to missbecky2007 and brandz_mygirl for emerging from the pack as joint winners!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#384381 - Mon Sep 24 2007 07:44 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Round 24 Quiz

A little bit late, but today's quiz is brought to you by the KNIFE.

1 - Probably the most renowned knife-fighter of the Old West in the U.S. was the frontiersman Jim Bowie of Kentucky. After Bowie participated in the so-called "Sandbar Fight" in Natchez, Mississippi, men all over Texas began asking blacksmiths for a knife just like Bowie's famous 9-inch-plus blade. Thus was born the "Bowie knife". Sadly, Bowie perished in the siege of the Alamo in 1836 during the war for Texan independence along with many others, including, of course, the famous Davy Crockett. This siege (and the slogan that followed "Remember the Alamo") was the seminal event that eventually led the United States to war with Mexico. Name for me one of the defenders of the Alamo from the state of Kentucky (KY) listed on this website

2 - Those folks who are like me of - ahem - a certain age will, of course, remember the hit song "Mack the Knife" which was popularized by Bobby Darin in the late 1950's. "Mack the Knife" was adapted from "Die Moritat von Mackie Messer" (or "The Murder Ballad of Mackie the Knife") from the music drama Die Dreigroschenoper by Weill, Brecht & Blitzstein. Mack the Knife was based on highwayman Macheath in John Gay's The Beggar Opera, who murdered, robbed, raped and pillaged his way through Britain - definitely *not* a nice fellow! Despite its gruesome subject matter, "Mack the Knife" made Bobby Darin a star and has been recorded by dozens of other artists in the past 50 years. Name a track from Bobby Darin's 1959 album That's All which contained the hit song "Mack the Knife".

3 - One of the turning points in Adolf Hitler's rise to power prior to World War II was the so-called "Night of the Long Knives" which occurred at the end of June 1934. Although they were instrumental in bringing Hitler to the Chancellory, Ernst Rohm and his Sturmabteilung (SA) "brown shirts" had become too powerful for Hitler's taste and he orchestrated a purge of the SA ranks along with his advisors Hermann Goering, Heinrich Himmler, Rudolf Hess and Josef Goebbels. The number of people who perished in "The Night of the Long Knives" may never be known, but many of Hitler's high profile challengers were despatched during those few days in late June and early July 1934. Give me the name of one of the known victims of "The Night of the Long Knives" from this website

4 - One of the most iconic scenes from all film history is the shower scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" where Mrs. Bates attacks Marion Crane with a butcher knife. It may be hard to believe but, if you really look, you'll see that Hitchcock's filming never shows any actual contact between the attacker and the attacked. Nevertheless, the scene is all the more terrifying for allowing the viewer to visualize the carnage for himself. This scene remains one of Hitchcock's most remembered contributions to the film directorial art. Name a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock between 1950 and 1960.

5 - And finally on a less gruesome note, I always carry with me my handy dandy Swiss Army knife. So equipped, I never need worry about how to tighten a loose screw or how to remove a bottle cork or file off a jagged edge. The Swiss company Victorinox currently is the sole manufacturer of all "real" Swiss Army knives and has many different models with dozens of possible tools and attachments. Name for me one of the 12 functions/tools of the "Spartan Standard-Type" Swiss Army knife shown on the Victorinox website.

I hope you have fun doing this quiz. As always, if you have difficulty tracking anything down, just let me know and I will be glad to help.

Edited by bethfay (Mon Sep 24 2007 07:45 PM)

#384382 - Tue Sep 25 2007 09:39 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 25 quiz – September

After pondering about what to call this quiz, I have decided to name it “Starting with Jack and not going very far away” .

1. The movie “The Shining” scared the bejeebers out of me. I watched it at the cinema and had my hands over my eyes for parts of it but when you do that, you can’t cover your ears, always a tough choice that, cover the eyes or ears. The two words “Here’s Johnny” will forever have a sinister undertone to me. I thought Jack Nicholson did an excellent job in the movie and I liked the boy who played his son too. Now please name me another movie (not for TV please) that Jack made which was released in the 1980s.

2. Jack had a long-term relationship with the actress Anjelica Huston in the 70s and 80s. Mention of Anjelica made me decide on the next question. Please name me a famous parent/child or pair of siblings in the movie business (directing and/or acting only).

3. Jack was married and divorced in the 1960s. Since then, he has famously avoided matrimony but that has not stopped him from having relationships with beautiful women (or fathering kids). Now, if Jack were to decide to trod down the marriage aisle again, he might consider checking out this website for a honeymoon destination. Please give me any one of the eleven destinations (top ten plus one honorable mention) on the list.

4. Jack has often been photographed at LA Lakers games. He is one of their biggest celebrity fans. Wikipedia even mentions that he has held season tickets to their games since 1967. The LA Lakers maintains a Youth Foundation which runs a “Community Relations Partnership Menu”, the aim of which is to provide LA youths with educational, athletic and recreational opportunities as well as to provide financial assistance to organizations based on need and merit. Now from that menu, please list any of the sub-headings (just the sub-headings, no description needed) that falls under the following main headings: Read to Achieve, Youth Basketball, A Season of Giving.

5. I think Jack has a lot of charm. One of his quotes “With my sunglasses on, I'm Jack Nicholson. Without them, I'm fat and seventy." Researching further, I found this website which provides 11 steps in “How to be charming”. It also states that “As with dancing, the more you practice, the better you will become.” Please give me any one of these 11 steps listed.

That’s it from me. I’m only a PM away should you need help/clarification. And as usual (for me), this round will close on Friday 28 September midnight FT time.

#384383 - Tue Sep 25 2007 12:31 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
My most sincere apologies for the latest of this posting - here at last are the results of Round 15!

12 wonderful players this time!

1. The whole family went out to dinner Saturday night at Red Lobster,one of our favorite restaurants. (Maybe that's because one daughter works there and can get us a 25% discount if we take her along! ) One of my favorite things to order is "Create Your Own Feast." Please give me one of the ten items that can be chosen from for this "Feast."

For 10 points - Grilled sirloin steak, Seafood stuffed flounder, Parrot Bay jumbo coconut shrimp, Garlic grilled jumbo shrimp, Crab linguini alfredo, Walt's favorite shrimp, Steamed snow crab legs

5 points - Garlic shrimp scampi(5)

Only ones not mentioned were Grilled salmon and Shrimp linguini alfredo. Now before I have to go eat a second lunch....

2. I babysat my grandson on Friday, and his favorite thing in the entire world is Thomas the Tank Engine (and his friends). He loves watching the television show, and has piles of trains and tracks. Name any one of Thomas' train friends.

For 10 points - Gordon, Mavis, Percy, Neville, Henry, James, Edward,
Bertram, Troublesome Trucks, Chinese Dragon

5 points - Toby (2)

3. Two of my favorite television shows, Monk and Psych are on Friday night, and I look forward to them all week! Name any episode from this season of either show. (For Monk this would be season 6 and for Psych it would be season 2.)

For 10 points - "65 Million Years Off," "Mr. Monk Stays Up All Night," "Lights, Camera, Homicide," "Mr. Monk and the Wrong Man," "Mr. Monk and the Daredevil," "Mr. Monk and the Buried Treasure

5 points - "Mr. Monk and the Bad Girlfriend" (2), "Mr. Monk and His Biggest Fan" (2), "Mr. Monk and the Birds and the Bees (2)

4. Some of my time this week has been spent helping my youngest daughter prepare for her ACT test, which is a college admission examination that she will be taking next month. From their website, please give me one of the general test-taking tips that is mentioned.

For 10 points -* Pace yourself—don't spend too much time on a single passage or question.* Answer every question. Your scores on the multiple-choice tests are based on the number of questions you answer correctly. There is no penalty for guessing *Review your work. If you finish a test before time is called, go back and check your work* Answer the easy questions first, then go back and answer the more difficult ones.

5 points - *Pay attention to the announcement of five minutes remaining on each test. (3) *Do not mark or alter any ovals on a test or continue writing the essay after time has been called or you will be dismissed and your answer document will not be scored.(2) *Mark your answers neatly. Erase any mark completely and cleanly without smudging.
(2)

I disallowed the answer "Be ready to start after everyone has checked in," because I couldn't find it anywhere in the list I specified. If the person who answered it can PM me with its location, I'll adjust the scores if necessary.

5. I finally finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows this week! The latest movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, was released in July. Please name a country in which it premiered on July 11.

Sorry for the confusion about this question! I didn't realize there were several conflicting lists - who knows which one is actually right! Anyway, according to the list on IMDB...

For 10 points - Belgium, Canada, France, Indonesia, Netherlands, Panama, Italy

5 points - Columbia (2) United States (2)

Well done to all! Here are the final scores!

We have a 3-way tie for first place - With 45 points each, denni, Howie, and Jar!

...a rather large pack of second place scorers with 40 points - zorba, nakarinna, Gatsby, brandz, and bethfay!

35 points - Mugaboo, srini
30 points- szabs, cae16682

Thanks to everyone who played, and again thank you for all the well-wishes for my daughter! She is feeling much better this week! Congratulations to our winners!

#384384 - Tue Sep 25 2007 05:37 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Oh yay and WoW! Does that mean I get my first point???? Huh? Huh?

#384385 - Wed Sep 26 2007 11:19 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 22 - 11 played

1. On the way down to Somerset last week, I saw many lorries. My impression was that I saw more Eddie Stobart haulage wagons than anyone else. Please give one of Eddie Stobart's Transport depots.
For 10 points: Appleton Thorne; Aveley; Carlisle; Carnforth; Catterick; Cwmbran; Immingham; Middleton; Normanton; Sherburn; Thurrock;
For 5 points: (None)
Not mentioned include: Bridgwater; Glasgow; Reading; Stoke; Wisbech

2. I broke my journey both ways at the Crofters Hotel in Garstang. Please tell me one of the starters, I might have had from the brasserie menu.
For 10 points: Seared Tuna, Light Soy Marinated Vegetables, Salmon Fishcake; Scottish Smoked Salmon Terrine, Pineapple Salsa, Red Pepper Oil; Seared King Scallops, Spinach Toasted Hazelnut and Coriander Butter; Wild Mushroom Risotto, Rocket Salad, Herb Oil; Char Grilled Asparagus, Poached Egg, Shaved Parmesan, Herb Oil; Butternut Squash Frittata, Green Salad, Chorizo Oil
For 5 points: Salad Of Lancashire Hot Pot, Aged Balsamic [5]
Not mentioned: Caramelised Onion and Goats Cheese Tart, Crisp Green Salad; Cauliflower and Creamy Lancashire Cheese Soup, Garden Chives; Morecambe Bay Mussels, Onion and Leek Cream Broth (That's what I had).

3. Name any country that United Utilities provide water services to.
For 10 points: Estonia
For 5 points: Australia [4]; Canada [2]; Philippines [2]; Poland [2]
Not mentioned: Bulgaria; Great Britain; India

4. On Saturday in Somerset, I visited Wells Cathedral. Please name any Bishop of Bath or Wells prior to Bishop Reginald starting to build this Cathedral.
For 10 points: Cynweard; Dudoc; John de Villula; Robert of Lewes
For 5 points: Aethelwine [4]; Brihtwine [3]
Not mentioned: Athelm; Wulfhelm; Alphege; Wulfhelm II; Birthelm; Sigar; Aelfwin; Lyfing; Merewith; Gisa; Godfrey

5. On Sunday I visted Stourhead house and gardens (in Wiltshire). Please give me any feature of the gardens
For 10 points: Grotto; King Alfred's Tower; The Pantheon; Pelargonium House; Rock Arch Bridge; Six Wells Bottom Valley; Temple of Apollo; Temple of Flora; View from the Pantheon to the Palladian Bridge
For 5 points: The Fir Walk [2]
Not mentioned include: The Gothic Cottage; The House Lawn; Ice House; St. Peter's Pump; Stable Yard; Turner’s Paddock Lake

Scores:
45 points: Zorba_scank
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Cae_16682; Gatsby722; Howie72; Nakarinna; Srini701; Szabs
35 points: Bethfay; Denni19; Jar

Close round, with the winner only being decided from the final entrant; a heary cheer to our clear winnder Zorba who snaps up the round's point.

#384386 - Wed Sep 26 2007 09:39 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Round 27

1. September is harvest time in most parts of India. Please name any harvest festival celebrated anywhere in the world.

2. "Harvest" is a medical thriller written by Tess Gerritsen. Name any of her books from the 'Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles' series.

3. A wind farm is a collection of wind turbines in the same location that generate wind-powered electricity. Name a wind farm located in either Australia or Portugal from here.

4. "Peasant" in NYC is a modern restaurant using century old traditions of cooking with fire. The cuisine is rustic Italian from all regions with concentration on the freshness and purity of the food. Please visit this site and name any item from the menu.

5. And lastly, give me any word of five letters or more which can be formed from the letters of HARVEST.

PM me if you need any help. This round will close on Monday night at 10 pm FT time.

#384387 - Fri Sep 28 2007 09:03 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 25 - closing reminder

I tend to forget to post "quiz-closing" reminders but somehow remembered this time.

Round 25 will close in approx 14 hours. Oh, just realised that I will be out of the house for a few hours then. Well the round will close on Friday at midnight FT time but I will only post results when I get home.

I've got 10 sets of answers so far, lots of room for more.

#384388 - Fri Sep 28 2007 04:16 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 24 will be closing in about 18 hours - Saturday morning FT time. Come one, come all!

#384389 - Sat Sep 29 2007 12:38 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
Kuu Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia     
Sorry I haven't posted my rounds this month. My husband has been seriously ill and is in hospital. The worst is over, at least for the present, but I won't be able to take my rounds for a couple of more months at least. If anyone wants to fill in for me on Wednesday you are most welcomed to do so.

#384390 - Sat Sep 29 2007 03:33 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 25 – September answers

11 lovely players. Thank you all!

1. The movie “The Shining” scared the bejeebers out of me. I watched it at the cinema and had my hands over my eyes for parts of it but when you do that, you can’t cover your ears, always a tough choice that, cover the eyes or ears. The two words “Here’s Johnny” will forever have a sinister undertone to me. I thought Jack Nicholson did an excellent job in the movie and I liked the boy who played his son too. Now please name me another movie (not for TV please) that Jack made which was released in the 1980s.

For Ten Points:
- Heartburn (1986)

For Five Points:
- Prizzi’s Honor (1985) (4)
- The Border (1982) (4)
- Ironweed (1987) (2)

Not mentioned: The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981), Ragtime (1981), Reds (1981), Terms of Endearment (1983), The Witches of Eastwick (1987), Broadcast News (1987), Batman (1989).

2. Jack had a long-term relationship with the actress Anjelica Huston in the 70s and 80s. Mention of Anjelica made me decide on the next question. Please name me a famous parent/child or pair of siblings in the movie business (directing and/or acting only).

For Ten Points:
- Kirk Cameron/Candace Cameron (siblings)
- Kareena Kapoor/Karishma Kapoor (siblings)
- Ed Wynn/Keenan Wynn
- River Phoenix/Joaquin Phoenix (siblings)
- Alec Baldwin/Stephen Baldwin (siblings)
- Goldie Hawn/Kate Hudson
- Jason Robards Sr./Jason Robards Jr.
- Diane Ladd/Laura Dern

For Five Points:
- Kirk Douglas/Michael Douglas (3)

Not mentioned: It’s a long long list!

3. Jack was married and divorced in the 1960s. Since then, he has famously avoided matrimony but that has not stopped him from having relationships with beautiful women (or fathering kids). Now, if Jack were to decide to trod down the marriage aisle again, he might consider checking out this website for a honeymoon destination. Please give me any one of the eleven destinations (top ten plus one honorable mention) on the list.

For Ten Points:
- Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
- Nice, France
- Aspen, Colorado
- Costa Rica, Central America
- Hawaii
- The Islands of the Bahamas

For Five Points:
- The Turks and Caicos Islands (3)
- Tahiti, French Polynesia (2)

Not mentioned:
- Africa
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Amalfi Coast, Italy

4. Jack has often been photographed at LA Lakers games. He is one of their biggest celebrity fans. Wikipedia even mentions that he has held season tickets to their games since 1967. The LA Lakers maintains a Youth Foundation which runs a “Community Relations Partnership Menu”, the aim of which is to provide LA youths with educational, athletic and recreational opportunities as well as to provide financial assistance to organizations based on need and merit. Now from that menu, please list any of the sub-headings (just the sub-headings, no description needed) that falls under the following main headings: Read to Achieve, Youth Basketball, A Season of Giving.

For Ten Points:
- Clinics
- Book Drives
- Hospital Visits
- Thanksgiving Dinner
- Learning Centers and Reading Rooms
- Court Renovations and Scoreboard Donations
- Reading Time Outs

For Five Points:
- Holiday Fishing Trips (2)
- Jr. NBA/Jr. WNBA (2)

Not mentioned: Annual Reading Challenge, Jr. Lakers & Shooting Sparks, Holiday Party

5. I think Jack has a lot of charm. One of his quotes “With my sunglasses on, I'm Jack Nicholson. Without them, I'm fat and seventy." Researching further, I found
this website which provides 11 steps in “How to be charming”. It also states that “As with dancing, the more you practice, the better you will become.” Please give me any one of these 11 steps listed.

For Ten Points:
- Orient topics toward the audience
- Praise others instead of gossiping
- Relax the muscles in your face
- Improve your posture

For Five Points:
- Be gracious in accepting compliments (2)
- Make a connection (2)
- Be interested in people (3)

Not mentioned: Remember people’s names, Don’t lie, Issue compliments generously, Control your tone of voice.

Results!

Top Place:
45 points: Bethfay & Szabs – Congrats! You both get one point each this round.

Other results:
40 points: Lizard_Wizard, Nakarinna & Denni

35 points: Jar, Mugaboo & Zorba_Scank

30 points: Cae_16682, Gatsby & Srini

#384391 - Sat Sep 29 2007 10:44 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 24 Answers

There were 10 great players for the KNIFE round!

1 - Name for me one of the defenders of the Alamo from the state of Kentucky (KY).
For 10 points: B. Archer M. Thomas; John Davis; John Harris; William Daniel Jackson; Joseph Rutherford; Andrew Kent
For 5 points: Jacob C. Durst [2]; John E. Gaston [2]
Not mentioned: Peter James Bailey III; Daniel William Cloud; William Keener Faunterloy; Green B. Jameson; John Benjamin Kellog; Isaac White

2 - Name a track from Bobby Darin's 1959 album That's All which contained the hit song "Mack the Knife".
For 10 points: "Where is the One?"; "That's the Way Love Is"; "Softly as in a Morning Sunrise"; "Beyond the Sea"; "It Ain't Necessarily So"; "I'll Remember April"
For 5 points: "Was There a Call for Me?" [4]
Not mentioned: "Through a Long, Sleepless Night"; "She Needs Me"; "Some of These Days"; "That's All"

3 - Name one of the known victims of "The Night of the Long Knives" on 30 June 1934.
For 10 points: Gregor Strasser; Gustav Ritter von Kahr; Alois Bittman; August Schneidhuber; Heinrich Konig; Friedrich Karl Lammermann; Daniel Gerth; Walter Schulz; Otto Ballerstadt; Fritz Ritter von Krausser
10 points to all!!

4 - Name a film directed by Alfred Hitchcock between 1950 and 1960.
For 10 points: Rear Window; To Catch a Thief; Dial M for Murder; The Man Who Knew Too Much; North by Northwest; The Trouble with Harry
For 5 points: Strangers on a Train [4]
Not mentioned: Stage Fright; I Confess; The Wrong Man; Vertigo

5 - Name for me one of the 12 functions/tools of the "Spartan Standard-Type" Swiss Army knife shown on the Victorinox website.
For 10 points: wire stripper; small blade; large blade; tweezers; can opener
For 5 points: toothpick [3]; keyring [2]
Not mentioned: corkscrew; small screwdriver (3 mm); cap lifter; large screwdriver (6 mm); reamer/punch

And so the final tally is ...

With a perfect 50 points: gatsby; mugaboo
With 45 points: szabs; nakarinna; zorba_scank; jar
With 35 points: brandz_mygirl; denni; srini
With 30 points: cae16682

Congratulations! to gatsby and mugaboo on continuing their usual winning ways and Thanks! to all who played.

#384392 - Sat Sep 29 2007 09:28 PM Re: September Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 29
I can't believe this is the last one for September! Basic questions this time...

1. Name any one of the eight planets in our Solar System.

2. Name any one of the seven colors in a rainbow.

3. Name any one of the eight US states that begin with the letter M.

4. Name any one of the seven continents.

5. Name any one of the twelve months of the year.

I sincerely doubt that anyone will need any help with these questions, but if you do I'll be here. This will close Tuesday, Oct.1 at noon FT time.

#384393 - Sun Sep 30 2007 08:44 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Gosh ... I don't know about anybody else, but I miss Pluto.

#384394 - Sun Sep 30 2007 09:40 AM Re: September Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I miss Pluto too, Beth!

Since most of the regulars have sent in their answers, I will close Round 27 after 24 hours.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002