Terms of Use

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#389507 - Sun Sep 30 2007 08:53 AM October Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
]THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS
Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Quote:

Mondays - Bethfay and Gatsby
Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni

Wednesdays - Cae_16682 and [Open]
Thursdays - Zorba_Scank and Nakarinna

Fridays - Howie and [Open]
Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

We currently have openings for a Wednesday host and a Friday host (sharing alternate weeks with Cae_16682 and Howie, respectively) so if anyone is interested in hosting, just let me/us know!

#389508 - Sun Sep 30 2007 01:50 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
I can help out on Fridays this month (but I doubt I should say "permanently" - just until somebody volunteers). It'll [possibly] help redeem me for slogging off there for a while .
Let me know, somebody ...

#389509 - Sun Sep 30 2007 02:00 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Flynn_17 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hull Yorkshire England UK     
I'll help out if you like. I've not hosted before, but now that I'm at University, I tend to have endlessly free nights. No money, no life. How Hull feels to the outsider...!

#389510 - Sun Sep 30 2007 02:24 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
I can gladly help with Fridays after Gatsby's done with them this month .

As far as I can remember, Howie has the 1st and the 3rd, so the remaining ones don't fall on the same weeks with my current Tuesdays.

#389511 - Sun Sep 30 2007 02:33 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
As I Time Zone jump ...
Round 1 ~ Monday

It started out being about the Top Five films on the (latest) American Film Institute's list from last summer. As usual it strayed like crazy ... and became a short novel in the process *sigh*. Here goes:

1. The film at #2 on the AFI list was 1972's epic The Godfather and it deserves its spot so near the top for, if nothing else, its stellar cast. Otherwise [and arguably], it was just a brilliant "western" using gangsters instead of cowboys. Marlon Brando ruled the screen as Corleone (and it's just impossible, for me, to picture Ernest Borgnine OR even Laurence Olivier in the role - and each fellow almost got it). A pivotal scene in the film happens during a baptism where inside the ornate church were all things holy and outside all Hell was breaking loose in a hurry, both orchestrated by the literal "godfather" (Al Pacino/Michael) placed safely in front of a priest. That church was "Saint Patrick's Old Cathedral" in Manhattan, NY and it still stands on Mulberry Street there. In 1986 Billy Joel released his album called "The Bridge" which included the jazz-influenced song "Big Man on Mulberry Street". In the lyrics of that song, I'd like you to pick a line that starts with the word 'WHY', such as: "Why can't I lay low?" (but kindly don't use that line, since I just did). Thanks!

2. The AFI #5 film is the ever-satisfying musical Singin' in the Rain, released in 1952. A breezy tale it was, watching a nimble Gene Kelly dancing through a cloudburst (OK, so it was only studio water mixed with milk AND Mr. Kelly did said hoofing while in the throes of a bad bout of influenza and a temperature of 103°F) - truth is, there was nothing remotely "breezy" about making the movie. In fact, Debbie Reynolds has said that the two most difficult things she ever did in her life was enduring childbirth and shooting this classic film. My favorite thing about the production was that it gave often underrated Donald O'Connor the chance to shine as the 'showman' he was. O'Connor was born in one of my pet USA cities - Chicago. I was intrigued to learn that they have an organization there (with a budget of $4.5 mil ) called the "Graffiti Blasters". Some may call it art. This squad calls it urban blight, and takes no crap (rain OR shine) as they call it that, either. This time, I need to know a phrase/term used by graffiti artsts to describe the different styles and aspects of the 'recreation/craft' of graffiti - and only select words that begin with a consonant found in the word GRAFFITI, OK? Wikipedia offers a few, here offers more, but others can be found, I suspect .

3. Probably my favorite movie to land in the AFI Top Five is Raging Bull (1980), which came in at #4. Director Martin Scorcese's film was somehow beautiful (and really shouldn't have been, based on content alone). It explored the 'sport' of boxing in a brutal light, turning it into an almost breathtakingly gruesome [yet lovely?] ballet AND it explored the one-time champion of that sport, Jake La Motta, in a way that made a mostly loathsome individual strangely compelling. Scorcese edited the film in his apartment at the time, having convinced himself that it would be the last of his career. He wanted it to be shown HIS way, without studio intervention (and he was certainly wrong about "Bull" being the end of his career as it ultimately became the apex of it ). His editing collaborator then (and still) was the Oscar-winning Thelma Shoonmaker - who won the trophy for this movie, The Aviator and The Departed. Thelma was born in Algeria in 1940, but only spent a short part of her life there. Anyway, boxers and classic cinema aside, Algeria became part of The Arab League - or League of Arab States - in 1962 . Could you kindly tell me another country/state that joined that organization in the 1960s OR the 1970s?

4. AFI's #3 film is my (just personally) least favorite in the Top Five. It's Casablanca from 1942. Lots of "stuff" about this movie that added up strangely, beyond the little technicality that Bogart was a full 5" shorter than Ingrid Bergman (somebody spent an undue amount of time supplying him step ladders to photograph on, is my guess ). The movie was shot entirely in the studio, too - which explains why there was always so much blasted fog in the picture. It helped conceal multitudes of obvious props and such. One segment [and only one] was shot off the set - an airport scene (and NOT that final one, either) - and it was shot at Van Nuys Airport (VNY) in the San Fernando Valley, California. There is much history involving VNY, and a 2005 documentary film called One Six Right: The Romance of Flying was all about that lore. From the official site for that documentary movie, please have a look at the set of historical photos and share with me a caption under any of them shown, BUT only select photos where there is a visible human being pictured . I appreciate your time (and I just loved the music on that site, by the way ~ not that you asked )...

5. According to the AFI (and the votes as they rolled in) the #1 film on their list in 2007 was *shock, shock* Citizen Kane - the 1941 movie that historically sits at or near the top of many prestigious rosters of 'Greatest American Films'. It's no secret, by now, that the story is a thinly-veiled endictment of publisher William Randolph Hearst (who was not even partly happy about this particular spin on "himself" or his alleged life/personality). The uproar as it all landed, at the time, had a large influence on the film's reception when it came out, too. It wasn't nearly as well-regarded in 1941 as it has become today ... with the passage of time, power, politics and the enigma of a little boy's sled, though, it is now a nearly unaminously applauded landmark piece of cinematic art and actor/writer/director Orson Welles is forever considered an icon with it. The highly-regarded PBS series "American Experience" explored it in one of its earlier (and memorable) episodes on January 29, 1996 apropriately titled "The Battle Over Citizen Kane". Great stuff, too! This time, however, I'd like you to fast forward a bit and tell me an episode of "American Experience" that originally aired in January or February of THIS year, 2007.
And then yer' done !

This'll close on Thursday at 5PM FT time. As always, feel welcomed to PM me if you get stuck on anything, too. Have a fine week, folks !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Oct 04 2007 05:57 AM)

#389512 - Tue Oct 02 2007 12:06 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

ROUND 2 - Tuesday

For no specific reason I've had Michelangelo Buonarroti on my mind quite a lot in the last few days. So let's talk a bit about him.

1. The first thing most of us think about when hearing Michelangelo's name is the Sistine Chapel.
Name one of the twelve prophetic figures painted by Michelangelo on the Sistine Chapel's famous ceiling.

2. Most of Michelangelo's works remained in Italy but some have re-located .
Please give me a location of any of his works - the museum/gallery/building, city and country.

3. A team of 30 faculty, staff, and students from Stanford University and the University of Washington started in 1998 "The Digital Michelangelo Project", an attempt to digitize the works of Michelangelo, creating 3D computer models.
On their site we can find the project 'translated' in numbers. From that table give me any of the figures/numbers defining the Digital Michelangelo Project.

4. Based on the life of Michelangelo "The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Stone is one of the books I can read anytime and not get bored. The author is well known for his biographical novels of famous historical personalities.
Please give me the title of another novel by Irving Stone, based on a famous person's life.

5. This last one should be easy .
Bring me the first line (verse) of any poem or sonnet written by Michelangelo Buonarroti.

This round will close on Friday, October 5, at noon FT time. You know where to find me if you need to clarify anything about my questions.

#389513 - Tue Oct 02 2007 02:17 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
As I'll be leaving town on the 4th to attend my friend's wedding - I won't have time to post this tomorrow. So here's Round 3 a little earlier than usual

ROUND 3 - Wednesday, October 3

It wasn't until when Australia lifted the ICC Cricket World Cup in 1999, that I actually started following this game obssessively the way I do now. So with that in mind... or rather one person in mind...

1. The winning team of 1999 was captained by New South Wales born Stephen Waugh - a class batsman in his time. His twin brother Mark Waugh was also the cause of misery for many a bowler. The Waugh Brothers aren't the only set of brothers in the game of cricket. From HERE, give me a name of a Cricket Family which had a set of brothers representing either Australia or England or New Zealand. (Please don't choose families featuring father/son or uncle/nephew or even husband/wife )

2. Steve Waugh is a cricketer whom I have long admired - not just for his cricket, but for his contributions to humane causes in Australia and India. In India, he's a patron of UDAYAN, a home for children who were born in leper colonies and and have parents who suffer from the disease. In Australia, he started the Steve Waugh Foundation, a afflicted children's charity which in Steve's own words, "gives them somewhere to turn". From the Official Site of The Steve Waugh Foundation, give me a name of one of the "Steve Waugh First XI Patrons", found in the Contributions section.

3. Steve's charity work and sporting achievements won him The Australian of The Year Award in 2005. The Australian Year of the Year is an Award proferred to Australians who have made significant contributions in their own field. The Award finalists are presented on Australia Day (January 26 - which is co-incidentally, the Indian Republic Day). Give me the name of a recipient of the Award from the 1980's or 1990's.

4. Steve Waugh was also made Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World in 1999 - for his success in leading his team to the World Cup. Sir Donald Bradman, the legendary Australian Cricketer has been named Leading Cricketer in the World, a total of 10 times. Sir Don Bradman was captain of the Australian Team of 1948, which became known as "The Invincibles", when they did not lose a single match during their tour to England. Give me the name of a member of this legendary team.

5. Cricket Teams are known to saddle their own players (and those from other teams) with inventive nicknames. Steve Waugh has been called "Tugga" (from Tug-of-War), "Iceman" (probably from his steely attitude on-field) and "Waugh-drobe". His brother Mark has been saddled with "Junior" (since he's two minutes younger to Steve) and "Afghansitan" (The forgotten Waugh). From HERE give me the nick-name of any other player whose surname starts with a "W".

This Round will close on Monday, 8th October, FT Time.

If there are any queries regarding the questions, feel free to PM me I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

#389514 - Wed Oct 03 2007 09:22 AM Round 3 answers
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA

Edited by Jar (Wed Oct 03 2007 02:02 PM)

#389515 - Wed Oct 03 2007 12:34 PM Re: Round 3 answers
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Jar, please delete this post immediately!

#389516 - Wed Oct 03 2007 12:48 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Just posting this so as to change back the thread's title ....

Don't worry, either, Jar. I think most of us have 'oopsed' and posted our answers here at least once !

#389517 - Wed Oct 03 2007 02:22 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

On the other hand, those that have seen my answers won't want to use them as that would just lower their score! :D

Edited to add: And thanks to everyone that sent me a PM to let me know the error of my ways. As I mentioned in my responses, my brain was not between my ears right then. Must have been thinking about the $1800 I couldn't find in my checkbook! And of course, it happens just when I log off and go out for a while. Shame on me!

Just can't help but sit here and laugh at myself!:D

Edited again: It just dawned on me -- I must have still been in the clouds after that 40 I got last month.

Edited by Jar (Wed Oct 03 2007 02:34 PM)

#389518 - Wed Oct 03 2007 02:52 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

So just to make Round 3, I think it would be a good idea go disregard my answers. That would make it fair to everyone. No problem here, just want to keep the game fair.

#389519 - Thu Oct 04 2007 10:03 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 4:

1. Paddington Bear is the classic children's character from Peru who is adopted by the Brown family after being found abandoned in Paddington Station. London Paddington Station is one of many, many train stations in London, but is one of the few managed by the Network Rail Company. Name any other of the seventeen railway stations managed and operated by Network Rail.

2. The Coca-Cola Company often uses polar bears in its advertisements. As one of the most well-known companies worldwide, many rumors and myths have circulated about the company's actions and involvements. The Coca-Cola Company has an entire section of their website devoted to dispelling these sorts of "myths" (in a way that is advantageous to the company, of course). Please name one of the "Product & Packaging" rumors.

3. The "Care Bears" TV show is a well-known children's program about bears with "tummy symbols" and their personalities & interactions. The characters were initially created by the American Greetings Company to use on their greeting cards. Please name one of the original ten Care Bears.

4. "The Bear" is the title of a famous short story by William Faulkner. In it, young Isaac McCaslin learns to respect nature in the form of a fierce and majestic bear named Old Ben. "The Bear" is one of seven short stories told in Faulkner's novel "Go Down, Moses." Name any other novel that Faulkner wrote.

5. No list of famous bears would be complete without mentioning Winnie the Pooh. In fact, his game of Poohsticks, where competitors toss sticks off the upstream side of a bridge and see whose stick reappears the fastest, has become so popular that there is even a World Championship for it. The money raised during this championship supports the Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI), a water safety organization. From this website , please name one of the boat classes used by the RNLI.

If you have any questions, comments, or clarifications, PM me. This round will close Monday at noon FT time. Good luck!

#389520 - Thu Oct 04 2007 03:57 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 1 ~ (Monday)
10 Outstanding Participants !

*1* In the lyrics of that song ("Big Man on Mulberry Street"), I'd like you to pick a line that starts with the word 'WHY', such as: "Why can't I lay low?" (but kindly don't use that line, since I just did). Thanks!

For 10 points:
...do I lash out?, ...can't I cool out?, ...can't I say what I mean?
For 5 points:
...is it every time I go out [I always seem to get in trouble]? (2), ...don't I stay home? (2), ...can't I calm down? (3)

Some of the other questions I used to ask myself dai... (*ooops, I mean*) that appear in the song are: "Why is it always a fight?", "Why do I throw myself into the night?", Why don't I button my lip?" and so on....

*2* This time, I need to know a phrase/term used by graffiti artsts to describe the different styles and aspects of the 'recreation/craft' of graffiti - and only select words that begin with a consonant found in the word GRAFFITI, OK?

For 10 points:
Third Rail (the rail on a subway line that has electrical power in it - aka, the one to stay clear of ), Fly (cool or "fresh"), Floaters ("throw ups" done at window level), Roller (the person doing the 'tagging'), Game (to go 'painting'), Tagging Up (writing a signature).
For 10 points:
Top-to-Bottom (painting a surface from, well, *that*) (2), Throw Up (any image/words applied quickly) (2).

Many more of these, naturally. And I have to say that the "lingo" often seems more indirect and syllaballic than just saying this stuff the "regular" way does. But I don't have the mind of a vandal, I guess .

*3* Anyway, boxers and classic cinema aside, Algeria became part of The Arab League - or League of Arab States - in 1962 . Could you kindly tell me another country/state that joined that organization in the 1960s OR the 1970s?

For 10 points:
Djibouti (1977), Oman (1971), Somalia (1974).
For five points:
United Arab Emirates (1971) (2), Bahrain (1971) (2), Mauritania (1973) (3).

Kuwait, Qatar and Southern Yemen weren't mentioned.

*4* From the official site for that documentary movie ("One Six Right: The Romance of Flying"), please have a look at the set of historical photos and share with me a caption under any of them shown, BUT only select photos where there is a visible human being pictured .

For 10 points:
Jack Conroy Flew the Historic Boomerang Flight, Waldo D. Waterman on 'Dedication Day' 1928, Timm Aircraft Built Army Trainers and Gliders for D-Day, The Question Mark World Record Endurance Flight [7 Days].
For 5 points:
General Aviation Boomed at the Airport in the 1950s (2), Laurel and Hardy Scene in "Flying Deuces" (2), State-of-the-Art Air Traffic Control Tower 1960s (2).

*5* This time, however, I'd like you to fast forward a bit and tell me an episode of "American Experience" that originally aired in January or February of THIS year, 2007.

For 10 points:
"New York Underground" ~ re: the subway system [February 19].
For 5 points:
"New Orleans" [February 12] (2), "The Living Weapon" ~ re: biowarfare [February 5] (3), "The Berlin Airlift" [January 29, 2007] (4).

Which left "The Alaskan Pipeline", "Eye on the Prize: Awakenings" ~ re: the American Civil Rights movement, "John & Abigail Adams" and "Race to the Moon".

And here, then, we have...
THE RESULTS!!!

cae_16682, denni19 .... 40 points!!!
brandz_mygirl, Mugaboo, srini701 .... 35 points!!
cinnamOn, Howie72, Jar, nakarinna, szabs .... 30 points!

Very close, once again! Well-played by everyone but special kudos (and a monthly point each) go to cae_16682 and denni19. Thanks for joining in, folks, and congrats to this Round's winners.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Thu Oct 04 2007 04:00 PM)

#389521 - Fri Oct 05 2007 11:35 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 2 is now closed. Results will be posted later today .

#389522 - Fri Oct 05 2007 02:59 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

RESULTS for ROUND 2 - Tuesday

9 dedicated players sent their answers – Thank you all for playing!

1. The first thing most of us think about when hearing Michelangelo's name is the Sistine Chapel.
Name one of the twelve prophetic figures painted by Michelangelo on the Sistine Chapel's famous ceiling.

10 points: Erythraean Sybil, Ezekiel, Persian Sybil, Isaiah, Daniel, Libyan Sybil, Joel

5 points: Cumaean Sybil [2]

2. Most of Michelangelo's works remained in Italy but some have re-located .
Please give me a location of any of his works - the museum/gallery/building, city and country.

10 points: Museo dell’Opera del Duomo – Florence, Italy; The Morgan Library and Museum – New York, USA; St. Peter Basilica – Rome, Italy; Cordonata Capitolina (on the Capitol Hill) – Rome, Italy; National Gallery of London, UK

5 points: Santa Maria La Redonda – Logrono, Spain [2]; State Hermitage – St. Petersburg, Russia [2]

3. A team of 30 faculty, staff, and students from Stanford University and the University of Washington started in 1998 "The Digital Michelangelo Project", an attempt to digitize the works of Michelangelo, creating 3D computer models.
On their site we can find the project 'translated' in numbers. From that table give me any of the figures/numbers defining the Digital Michelangelo Project.

10 points: 0.29mm and 0.125mm (spatial resolution of data for geometry and color), 250 Gigabytes (total amount of data captured), $2,000,000 (cost of project), 1 inch and 23 feet (smallest and largest objects scanned), 4 tons (total weight of equipment shipped to Italy), 32 Gigabytes (size of largest dataset – the David), 4,000 man-hours (total time spent processing data),

5 points: 1 week (average time to scan a statue) [2]

4. Based on the life of Michelangelo "The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Stone is one of the books I can read anytime and not get bored. The author is well known for his biographical novels of famous historical personalities.
Please give me the title of another novel by Irving Stone, based on a famous person's life.

10 points: "Those Who Love" (John Adams) , "Depths of Glory" (Camille Pissarro), "The President’s Lady" (Rachel and Andrew Jackson)

5 points: "Lust for Life" (Vincent Van Gogh) [2], "Sailor on Horseback" (Jack London) [2], "The Passions of the Mind (Sigmund Freud) [2]

5. Bring me the first line (verse) of any poem or sonnet written by Michelangelo Buonarroti.

10 points:
- "When masters bind a slave with cruel chain..."
- "I’m packaged in here like the pulp in a fruit compacted by its peel..."
- "Only with fire can the smith shape iron..."

5 points:
- "Overe here it was that my love stole from me..." [2]
- "Choice soul, in whom, as in glass, we see..." [4]

Here are the scores for Round 2:

50 points: Mugaboo ---> Congratulations, Sir M. !

45 points: Cinnam0n, Gatsby, Nakarinna

35 points: Cae, Jar, Szabs

30 points: Howie, Srini

For his perfect score Mugaboo is awarded 1 point for the month of October. Very well done!

#389523 - Sat Oct 06 2007 03:03 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 6 October 6

1. Give me the location of one of the ASP (Association of Surfing Professionals) men's tour venues for 2007.
2. The Battle of Havana was fought between the British and the Spanish in 1748. Please give me one of the ships involved.
3. Name a variety of apple, that is grown at Christensen's Apple Orchard, Waupaca, Wisconcin.
4. The 2007 Classic FM Gramophone Awards were anounced on Thursday, give me a record label used by one of the winners.
5. At the 1968 Olympic Games, Gyula Zsivótzky won the hammer, he unfortunately died last Saturday. Al Oerter won his (fourth) Discus title two days before, but he died two days after Gyula. Both were aged 71. Those two apart, name any male Hammer or Discus medallist at the 1956, 1960, 1964 or 1968 Games.

A Wednesday (noon FT time) closure can be expected.

#389524 - Sat Oct 06 2007 09:30 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I'd like to take a break from hosting the rounds from November onwards. (It would be great if anyone could take them up from October itself, but I understand that it's too short notice). I'm swamped with too many projects, assignments, paper presentations, intercollege events, etc. and with my semester exams starting next month things are getting a little out of hand.

#389525 - Sun Oct 07 2007 03:45 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
I almost forgot to post questions for round 5 but here they are:

1) The 2007 MLB play-offs are under way. Please give me one of the 8 teams that are involved in the post-season.
2) Whitcoulls is a national bookstore chain in New Zealand. Please give me the location of a store in the Canterbury or Timaru/Oamaru regions.
3) Please give me one of the 9 regions or districts of the Republic of Mali.
4) Please give me the name of one of the 12 teams in the 2007/2008 Austrian Football/soccer Bundesliga competition.
5) Please give me one of the 11 official languages of South Africa.

#389526 - Sun Oct 07 2007 05:29 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Less than 24 hrs to go before Round 3 closes

#389527 - Sun Oct 07 2007 07:22 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Approximately three hours to go before Round 3 closes.

#389528 - Sun Oct 07 2007 10:05 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

One hour left for Round 3 deadline

#389529 - Sun Oct 07 2007 11:09 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 3 is now CLOSED

#389530 - Sun Oct 07 2007 11:55 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

RESULTS FOR ROUND 3

9 amazing players sent in their entries for Round 3

1. The winning team of 1999 was captained by New South Wales born Stephen Waugh - a class batsman in his time. His twin brother Mark Waugh was also the cause of misery for many a bowler. The Waugh Brothers aren't the only set of brothers in the game of cricket. From HERE, give me a name of a Cricket Family which had a set of brothers representing either Australia or England or New Zealand. (Please don't choose families featuring father/son or uncle/nephew or even husband/wife )

For 10 Points:
John and Murray Parker, Jeff and Martin Crowe, Brett and Shane Lee, Ernest & Johnny Tyldesley, James & Hamish Marshall, Barry and Richard Hadlee, Richie and John Benaud

For 5 Points:
Brendon and John Bracewell (2)

Not mentioned:
Ken and Ron Archer, Arthur and Harold Gilligan, Matthew and Phil Horne, and so many others

2. Steve Waugh is a cricketer whom I have long admired - not just for his cricket, but for his contributions to humane causes in Australia and India. In India, he's a patron of UDAYAN, a home for children who were born in leper colonies and and have parents who suffer from the disease. In Australia, he started the Steve Waugh Foundation, a afflicted children's charity which in Steve's own words, "gives them somewhere to turn". From the Official Site of The Steve Waugh Foundation, give me a name of one of the "Steve Waugh First XI Patrons", found in the Contributions section.

For 10 Points:
The Wiggles

For 5 Points:
John Gerahty (3), Phil Green (2), Basil Sellers (3)

Not mentioned:
Peter O'Shea, David Coe, Gary Johnston, Bob Mansfield AO / David Shein, Sir Ron Brierley, Russell Crowe, Peter Holmes a Court, Bill Moss AM (Coach)

3. Steve's charity work and sporting achievements won him The Australian of The Year Award in 2005. The Australian Year of the Year is an Award proferred to Australians who have made significant contributions in their own field. The Award finalists are presented on Australia Day (January 26 - which is co-incidentally, the Indian Republic Day). Give me the name of a recipient of the Award from the 1980's or 1990's.

For 10 Points:
Dr. John Yu, Sir John Crawford AC CBE, Ian Kiernan OAM, Manning Clark, Fred Hollows

For 5 Points:
Robert de Castella (2), Allan Border (2)

Not mentioned:
Mandawuy Yunupingu, Mark Taylor, Arthur Boyd, Cathy Freeman and many more

4. Steve Waugh was also made Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World in 1999 - for his success in leading his team to the World Cup. Sir Donald Bradman, the legendary Australian Cricketer has been named Leading Cricketer in the World, a total of 10 times. Sir Don Bradman was captain of the Australian Team of 1948, which became known as "The Invincibles", when they did not lose a single match during their tour to England. Give me the name of a member of this legendary team.

For 10 Points:
Neil Harvey, Ron Hamence, Bill Brown, Ernie Toshack, Bill Johnston

For 5 Points:
Sid Barnes (2), Ray Lindwall (2)

Not mentioned:
Sam Loxton, Arthur Morris, Don Tallon and others

5. Cricket Teams are known to saddle their own players (and those from other teams) with inventive nicknames. Steve Waugh has been called "Tugga" (from Tug-of-War), "Iceman" (probably from his steely attitude on-field) and "Waugh-drobe". His brother Mark has been saddled with "Junior" (since he's two minutes younger to Steve) and "Afghansitan" (The forgotten Waugh). From HERE give me the nick-name of any other player whose surname starts with a "W".

For 10 Points:
Goldie (Jeff Wilson), Tangles (Max Walker), Warney (Shane Warne)

For 5 Points:
Blocker (Paul Wilson) (2), Whizz (Paul Wiseman) (2), Freddie, Bikki (Doug Walters) (2)

Not mentioned:
Clyde Walcott, Everton Weekes and Frank Worrell — The Three W's, John Wright — Shake, Matthew Windows — Steamy and others.

This was yet another close competition... until, at the very last minute, the final player swept the competition off its feet, snagging a sole lead in the round...

And the winners are:

With 50 Points!: Cinnam0n Congratulations!
With 40 Points: Beth, szabs
With 35 Points: Howie, Jar, Gatsby, Srini
With 30 Points: Denni, Mugaboo

For a perfect score, Cinnamon gets a point for this round.

#389531 - Mon Oct 08 2007 12:26 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 4 will remain open for a few more hours while I await an answer clarification. Any last minute entries are welcome!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002