Terms of Use

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#389532 - Mon Oct 08 2007 12:49 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 9 quiz – October

I had a lovely 3 day weekend away. I’ve avoided the internet and am now eager to play some quizzes. Apologies to all whose quiz rounds I’ve missed, will be catching up on quizzes over the next few days. I am also posting this round a little earlier than usual (I really missed FunTrivia)

1. Readers of Psychologies magazine held its second annual poll to find Britain’s Sexiest Brain for 2007. Please name any one of the top 15 names on their list. (It has come to my attention that the list seems to comprise only men’s names but the poll title doesn’t specify gender, hmmmm… )

2. I just watched the trailer for Tim Burton’s movie “Sweeney Todd” and am eagerly awaiting its release. The music and lyrics are by Stephen Sondheim. This is the first time the stage musical has been made into a movie. The musical has had many stage productions over the years since it first opened on Broadway in 1979 and has been nominated for and won several awards. Could you please give me the title of any of the musical numbers from Act II of the play, just the title will do, no need to include names of characters involved in that number. ( I don’t know what songs will or will not be included in the movie or whether the story of “Sweeney Todd” is familiar to everyone but I don’t want to “spoil” the movie for anyone. If you prefer not to find out too much of the story, please PM me and I will provide you with a list of just the musical numbers.)

3. I’m a fan of Gary Oldman. He co-starred with Tim Roth in a movie released in 1990, written and directed by Tom Stoppard, called “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”. I watched it on DVD and didn’t quite get into the movie the first time round. I had to find out a bit more about the story on-line and then watch it again to appreciate the movie. What I really enjoyed was the dialogue and interaction between the two main characters. Please give me a name of any of the actors/actresses who played a named character in the movie.

4. Please name any musical that will be performing in London’s West End during the month of October 2007. It’s fine if it starts or ends mid-way through the month.

5. London has also many off West End theatres and one of these is The Bush Theatre, located in Shepherd’s Bush Green, West London. The Bush Theatre opened in April 1972 and has established a name for premiering new writing and acting talent. From its website, please give me any one of the FAQs listed. Do not include the answers.

I hope you will enjoy the questions. Let me know if you need help. This round will close on Friday 12 October midnight FT time.

#389533 - Mon Oct 08 2007 06:08 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Round 8 Quiz

Wow - you've gotta be quick around here! I'm just putting up Monday's quiz and I see that Tuesday's is already up and ready to go (way to be ahead of the game brandz!)

Anyway - today's quiz is being brought to you by INFINITY

1 - The infinity symbol that we are all familiar with was first used in a mathematical publication by John Wallis in the seventeenth century. Wallis, along with 11 other prominent philosophers and scientists, was a founding member in 1660 of the Royal Society in Britain. The Society is of course still in existence today and continues to be one of the most influential scientific organizations in the world. Name one of the 10 medals given out by the Royal Society of the UK. (Please no prizes or other awards.)

2 - The excellent movie Infinity starring Matthew Broderick was the story of the early life of physicist Richard Feynman. Feynman was involved with the Manhattan Project in his youth, went on to teach and do research at MIT, Princeton and Cal Tech and won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965. He was considered quite eccentric with many eclectic tastes, but was perhaps most remembered by his unending devotion to teaching and his students, often being called "The Great Explainer". He recorded a series of lectures for students and lay people everywhere which is still used today in science and math programs. Name one of the 20 volumes in the Feynman Lectures on Physics: The Complete Audio Collection series.(Check this Wiki page Richard Feynman and look towards the bottom of the page under the heading "Audio Recordings".)

3 - A new residential & office tower complex in San Francisco called The Infinity Towers is currently under construction. During the demolition for the project about two years ago, a very surprising event occurred when an intact whaling ship was found buried under a parking lot. After testing, it was determined with certainty that the ship is the Candace, a whaling ship built in Boston in 1818 and scrapped in San Francisco in 1855. The ship has been recovered and will be proudly displayed in the Old Mint Building by the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society when that facility opens in 2008. The Society maintains a historical walking route in San Francisco intended to highlight key historical landmarks in the city. Name one of the 20 points of interest along the Barbary Coast Trail from the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society's webpage here

4 - Fans of Rod Serling most likely have a copy of a recent book called As Timeless As Infinity: The Complete Twilight Zone Scripts by Rod Serling which includes every episode's script from the original TV series aired between 1959 and 1964. Despite several revivals of the sci-fi TV and movie format, the episodes of the original season of the original series are still among the most familiar and popular of all. Name one of the first 12 episodes from "The Twilight Zone" which aired in 1959.

5 - And finally, as a serious science fiction fan, I do also enjoy a little chuckle at some of the satirical treatments of the genre. One of the funniest I've seen is the Red Dwarf series, written by "Grant Naylor" (the pseudonym for Rob Grant and Doug Naylor) which has been serialized on TV, radio, books and a movie. I first found Red Dwarf in the book Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers. Name for me one of the ships that appears or is mentioned in any Red Dwarf episode or book.

Hope this is enjoyable for you. As always, if you have trouble just let me now.

EDIT: Question #2 has been revised to include a link to the Richard Feynman page on Wiki for the 20 volumes of his collection of lectures.

Edited by bethfay (Tue Oct 09 2007 05:57 PM)

#389534 - Tue Oct 09 2007 03:38 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
I can step in from November (for some time). So count me in as a host in place of Sharon please

#389535 - Tue Oct 09 2007 08:09 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 4 will close in three hours.

#389536 - Tue Oct 09 2007 10:23 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Thanks so much, Srini!

#389537 - Tue Oct 09 2007 11:28 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 4 Results

12 players entered this round…

1. Paddington Bear is the classic children's character from Peru who is adopted by the Brown family after being found abandoned in Paddington Station. London Paddington Station is one of many, many train stations in London, but is one of the few managed by the Network Rail Company. Name any other of the seventeen railway stations managed and operated by Network Rail.

For 10 points: Birmingham New Street, London Liverpool Street, Edinburgh Waverly, Gatwick Airport, Glasgow Central, London Waterloo

For 5 points: London Euston (2), London Charing Cross (2), London Fenchurch Street (2)

Not mentioned: Leeds, Liverpool Lime Street, London Bridge, London Cannon Street, London Kings Cross, London Victoria, Manchester Piccadilly

2. The Coca-Cola Company often uses polar bears in its advertisements. As one of the most well-known companies worldwide, many rumors and myths have circulated about the company's actions and involvements. The Coca-Cola Company has an entire section of their website devoted to dispelling these sorts of "myths" (in a way that is advantageous to the company, of course). Please name one of the "Product & Packaging" rumors.

For 10 points: Aluminum from soft drink cans leads to Alzheimer's disease; Soft drinks can be used by farmers as pesticides for their crops; Cold soft drinks help create toxins that can lead to the development of various diseases; The drink Coca-Cola was originally green in color

For 5 points: Coke + MSG = Aphrodisiac (3); Coca-Cola can be used as a household cleaner (3); Soft drinks cause dehydration, leading to cancer (2)

Not mentioned: Child dies after drinking Coca-Cola light followed by chewing menthol-flavored chewy candy; Rat urine on soda can kills consumer; Delhi University student dies chugging Coke; Soft drinks cause kidney failure

3. The "Care Bears" TV show is a well-known children's program about bears with "tummy symbols" and their personalities & interactions. The characters were initially created by the American Greetings Company to use on their greeting cards. Please name one of the original ten Care Bears.

For 10 points: Love-A-Lot Bear, Wish Bear, Good Luck Bear, Birthday Bear, Grumpy Bear

For 5 points: Tenderheart Bear (3), Bedtime Bear (2), Cheer Bear (2)

Not mentioned: Friend Bear, Funshine Bear

4. "The Bear" is the title of a famous short story by William Faulkner. In it, young Isaac McCaslin learns to respect nature in the form of a fierce and majestic bear named Old Ben. "The Bear" is one of seven short stories told in Faulkner's novel "Go Down, Moses." Name any other novel that Faulkner wrote.

For 10 points: “Flags in the Dust,” “Absalom, Absalom,” “The Mansion,” “Mosquitoes,” “The Sound and the Fury,” “Soldier’s Pay,” “Requiem for a Nun,” “A Fable,” “As I Lay Dying”

For 5 points: “Light in August” (3)

Not mentioned: “Sanctuary,” “Pylon,” “The Unvanquished,” “The Hamlet,” and several others

5. No list of famous bears would be complete without mentioning Winnie the Pooh. In fact, his game of Poohsticks, where competitors toss sticks off the upstream side of a bridge and see whose stick reappears the fastest, has become so popular that there is even a World Championship for it. The money raised during this championship supports the Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI), a water safety organization. From this website , please name one of the boat classes used by the RNLI.

For 10 points: Tamar, Severn, B Class

For 5 points: Arun (3), Tyne (2), D Class (2), Trent (2)

Not Mentioned: Mersey, E Class, Hovercraft

Scores:

With 50 points: cinnam0n

With 45 points: bethfay
With 40 points: Jar, szabs, brandz_mygirl
With 35 points: Mugaboo, Gatsby722
With 30 points: missbecky2007, Lizard_Wizard, denni19, zorba_scank, srini701

Congratulations to cinnam0n for continuing her winning streak with a perfect score!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

Edited by nakarinna (Tue Oct 09 2007 11:30 AM)

#389538 - Tue Oct 09 2007 05:25 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
A veddy quick question, if I may ? Is anyone sharing Fridays with Mr. Howie yet? If not (and seeing as how he did last Friday), I can step in and help him out. And I guess that would mean doing Round (um) 12, I think. And I can continue doing alternate Fridays until the roster fills up, if needed. Let me know, OK ?

#389539 - Wed Oct 10 2007 03:22 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Mr Howie? That should be Sir Howie to you...

As far as I know, I am all alone on Fridays so any contact with the outside world would be appreciated.

Thanks Mr. Gatsby, your expert question setting is very welcome.

#389540 - Wed Oct 10 2007 11:20 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 6 - 10 played

1. Give me the location of one of the ASP (Association of Surfing Professionals) men's tour venues for 2007.
For 10 points: Gold Coast,Qld-Australia; Bells Beach,Victoria-Australia; Arica-Chile; Jeffreys Bay-South Africa; Santa Catarina-Brazil
For 5 points: Trestles,California-USA [2]; Mundaka, Euskadi-Spain [3]
Not mentioned: Teahupoo,Taiarapu-Tahiti; Hossegor/Seignosse-France; Banzai Pipeline,Oahu-Hawaii

2. The Battle of Havana was fought between the British and the Spanish in 1748. Please give me one of the ships involved.
For 10 points: Canterbury; Cornwall; Warwick; Africa; Galga; Real Familia
For 5 points: Tilbury [2]; Nueva España [2]
Not mentioned: Lenox; Oxford; Strafford; Conquistador; Dragón; Invencible

3. Name a variety of apple, that is grown at Christensen's Apple Orchard, Waupaca, Wisconcin.
For 10 points: Cortland; Honey Crisp; Honey Gold; McIntosh
For 5 points: Empire [2]; Gala [2]; Sun Crisp [2]
Not mentioned: Connell Red; Macoun; Sweet 16; Wolf River

4. The 2007 Classic FM Gramophone Awards were anounced on Thursday, give me a record label used by one of the winners.
For 10 points: Decca; Ondine; Testament; Philips
For 5 points: EMI [2]; Hyperion [2]; Supraphon
Not mentioned: Avie; Channel Classics; Harmonia Mundi; Linn Records; Lyrita; Sony Classical

5. At the 1968 Olympic Games, Gyula Zsivótzky won the hammer, he unfortunately died last Saturday. Al Oerter won his (fourth) Discus title two days before, but he died two days after Gyula. Both were aged 71. Those two apart, name any male Hammer or Discus medallist at the 1956, 1960, 1964 or 1968 Games.
For 10 points: Uwe Beyer; Hal Connolly; Lázár Lovász; Lother Milde
For 5 points: Ludvík Danek [2]; Fortune Gordien [2]; Tadeusz Rut [2]
Not mentioned: Des Koch; Rink Babka; Dick Cochran; Dave Weill; Mikhail Krivonosov; Anatoli Samotsvyetov; Vasiliy Rudenkov; Romuald Klim

Scores:
45 points: Bethfay; Cinnam0n
40 points: Nakarinna; Srini701
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Cae_16682; Denni19; Szabs
30 points: Gatsby722
25 points: Jar

Well done our two winners, Bethfay and Cinnam0n, who each grab a point and stash it on the scoreboard.

#389541 - Thu Oct 11 2007 10:51 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Round 11

1. "Mairi's Wedding" is a Scottish folk song originally written in Gaelic by Johnny Bannerman for Mary McNiven. Name any other musician who has recorded a cover version of this song.

2. Name any movie with the word “Wedding” in its title.

3. "White Wedding" is a song by Billy Idol that appeared on his album Billy Idol (1982). Name any other track from this album.

4. Elizabeth Hurley married Arun Nayar in March 2007 in a lavish ceremony at Jodhpur, India. Name any other celebrity wedding that took place in 2007.

5. And lastly, please give me any superstition associated with weddings.

This round will close on Wednesday 10 pm FT time.

#389542 - Thu Oct 11 2007 10:09 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 12 ~ Friday

Yes ... the new TV season is upon us. Having had a look at the varying degrees of goodness and badness as it begins, I seem to be liking Journeyman happily so far (but, then, I'm a sucker for time travel). So these questions started with that new program in mind. And, as usual, took on a detour or two as things progressed ....

1. Journeyman stars an actor named Kevin McKidd (born in Scotland in 1973) as Dan Vasser, the intrepid reporter who is in one room at his house this minute and off into another decade the next (sometimes leaving behind only his shoes and several confused people). He, like many worthy young actors from Europe, got his big break in the 1996 film "Trainspotting", a brutally frank exploration of heroin addiction. The music in the film was landmark (even good enough to merit two soundtracks being released). Kindly tell me a song (and who performs it) that appears on the FIRST soundtrack from the film "Trainspotting", OK?

2. On the show's official site you can visit an "Interactive Timeline". One can see a short list of key events that happened annually all the way back to the 1960s simply by clicking on whichever year strikes the fancy. Even though Mr. Vasser doesn't know where he might end up in the show when he inexplicably "travels", we can control our little cyber trips over there. We won't go back TOO far - how about you tell me one of the events mentioned on that Journeyman site that occurred in either 1997 or 1987?

3. In Episode #3 (airing last week), Dan found himself in the San Francisco Bay area on October 17, 1989. Whoops indeed! He landed there just in time for the Loma Prieta Earthquake - which killed over 60 people and rendered over 12,000 homeless by the time it was finished. Our time-hopping hero got his bearings seeing a sign for 'The World Series 1989, Game 3', which was scheduled the day he got there. Most Americans remember that day notably because the onslaught of the earthquake was televised (most horrifying to see happening "live"). Sportscaster Al Michaels, covering the baseball telecast, made a memorable quote as the video of the game disappeared (but the audio was still working). It started with "Well, folks..." This time, I need another word that was in that two-sentence quip [excluding the words THE, IN or OF] offered by Mr. Michaels that fateful day. Hint: googling the words underlined in the above question should lead you right to it (I hope )...

4. Journeyman might owe a lot of its creative thrust to a novel called "The Time Traveller's Wife", written by Audrey Niffenegger. Her tale touches on many of the same things the TV series does (unexplained time travels, a confused spouse wondering what the heck is going on, attempts to find a "normal" biological explanation for the phenomenon and probing the ultimately important question: "What is possible vs. what is logical?"). On Miss Niffenegger's site [most of which is under construction ~ but the 'Biography' section is readable] she mentions some of her favorites in terms of the arts. Have a look at her site and tell me an artist (as in painters, not writers) that she found exceptional enough to mention as one of her all-time favorites!

5. Well, enough of all that serious TV business. As good as Journeyman seems to be (so far), American television makes its money and rounds up its audience in FAR more brainless (but fun!) pursuits besides time traveling, earthquakes and such. So let's talk about this newest season of "Dancing With the Stars" - which, thank heavens, is also on Monday nights but in a time slot that doesn't conflict with more urgent/"timely" matters. Some say this is the year when a female 'star' [ahem ~ they're kinda stars, anyway] might win it, but I'm not so sure. In all fairness to the men, could you tell me a MALE celebrity (NOT a professional dancing partner on the show) who was in the contest this year as "Dancing With the Stars" [US version, Season 5] began?

I reckon we'll close this one up at noon on Tuesday (FT time). And, of course, if any questions arise, I like getting PMs ! Have a spectacular weekend!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Fri Oct 12 2007 06:51 AM)

#389543 - Fri Oct 12 2007 03:35 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Just a bit over 24 hours left for entries for Round 8! Responses thus far have been somewhat on the skinny side so there's plenty of room for more!

Edited by bethfay (Fri Oct 12 2007 03:36 AM)

#389544 - Fri Oct 12 2007 11:12 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 9 is closed. Results will be a little delayed (hopefully not too long) as I'm waiting for a revised answer.

#389545 - Sat Oct 13 2007 06:14 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 9– October answers

Thanks to all 10 who played!

1. Readers of Psychologies magazine held its second annual poll to find Britain’s Sexiest Brain for 2007. Please name any one of the top 15 names on their list.

For Ten Points:
Sir Alan Sugar, Sir David Attenborough, Gordon Brown, Michael Palin

For Five Points:
Boris Johnson (3), Alan Rickman (3)

Not mentioned:
Louis Theroux, Jeremy Paxman, Kevin McCloud, Derek Draper, Paul Merton, Danny Wallace, Ricky Gervais, Will Self, Alain de Botton

It was pointed out to me (and I had also noticed it after I had posted the questions) that the poll did state that it was for men who you think are the Sexiest Brains in Britain. *sheepish look*

2. I just watched the trailer for Tim Burton’s movie “Sweeney Todd” and am eagerly awaiting its release. The music and lyrics are by Stephen Sondheim. This is the first time the stage musical has been made into a movie. The musical has had many stage productions over the years since it first opened on Broadway in 1979 and has been nominated for and won several awards. Could you please give me the title of any of the musical numbers from Act II of the play, just the title will do, no need to include names of characters involved in that number.

For Ten Points:
The Beggar Woman’s Lullabye

For Five Points:
City on Fire (2), The Judge’s Return (2), Parlor Songs (3), By the Sea (2)

Not mentioned:
God That’s Good, Johanna, Wigmaker Sequence: The Ballad of Sweeney Todd (reprise), The Letter, Not While I’m Around, The Ballad of Sweeney Todd (reprise), Fogg's Asylum; Fogg's Passacaglia, Ah Miss (reprise), Final Scene.

3. I’m a fan of Gary Oldman. He co-starred with Tim Roth in a movie released in 1990, written and directed by Tom Stoppard, called “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”. I watched it on DVD and didn’t quite get into the movie the first time round. I had to find out a bit more about the story on-line and then watch it again to appreciate the movie. What I really enjoyed was the dialogue and interaction between the two main characters. Please give me a name of any of the actors/actresses who played a named character in the movie.

For Ten Points:
Joanna Miles, Vili Matula, Sven Medvesek, Tim Roth

For Five Points:
Donald Sumpter (2), Ian Richardson (2), Ljubo Zecevic (2)

Not mentioned:
Gary Oldman, Joanna Roth, Iain Glen

Although I had mentioned the names of Gary Oldman and Tim Roth in the question, I didn’t exclude them from being used.

4. Please name any musical that will be performing in London’s West End during the month of October 2007. It’s fine if it starts or ends mid-way through the month.

For Ten Points: Buddy, The Lion King, Bad Girls The Musical, Cabaret, Footloose – The Musical, Mamma Mia

For Five Points: Fiddler on the Roof (2), Blood Brothers (2)

Not mentioned: 18 more titles!

5. London has also many off West End theatres and one of these is The Bush Theatre, located in Shepherd’s Bush Green, West London. The Bush Theatre opened in April 1972 and has established a name for premiering new writing and acting talent. From its website, please give me any one of the FAQs listed. Do not include the answers.

For Ten Points:
Can I buy playtexts from previous shows?, Can I hire the theatre?, Can I interview someone at the Bush Theatre for my studies?, Can I queue for returns?, Are there any good restaurants nearby? How do I find the Bush Theatre?

For Five Points:
How does the theatre cast for its productions? (2), Does the theatre offer work experience placements? (2)

Not mentioned: 11 more to choose from!

Results!

Top Place: We have a clear winner!
45 points: Zorba_Scank – Congrats and 1 point!

Other results:
40 points: Srini

And a crowd at
35 points: Jar, Mugaboo, Gatsby, Szabs, Nakarinna, Cinnamon

30 points: Cae_16682, Howie72

#389546 - Sat Oct 13 2007 06:35 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
October 13

I noticed that today is the anniversary of the 1945 death of Milton Hershey, founder of Hershey Foods (and you know what their most famous product is!)

1. One of Mr. Hershey's most delightful concoctions was the Hershey's Kiss! Name any variety of Hershey's Kiss that is available as of this year. There are more listed here than on the Hershey's website.

2. Hershey, Pennsylvania, is the home of The Hershey Company, but it has many other venues that have the Hershey name. Name any of them. (This can be a building, street, or attraction of any kind.)

3. The ultimate in luxury (if you love chocolate) is a trip to The Chocolate Spa in Hershey. Name any of the spa treatments that come under the category of "Everything Chocolate."

4. Christmas is a special time in Hershey. Name any of the rides that will be available during the Christmas Candylane this year.

5. And finally, a freebie - name any product that Hershey's makes. (Different varieties of the same product will count as the same answer on this one since there are so many to choose from - example: milk chocolate Kisses and caramel Kisses will both count as Kisses)

All right - any help and I'll be around. This round will close on Tuesday at noon FT time.

#389547 - Sat Oct 13 2007 09:58 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 8 Results

There were 11 wonderful players for the INFINITY round!

1 - Name one of the 10 medals given out by the Royal Society of the UK.
For 10 points: Darwin Medal; Davy Medal; Hughes Medal; Leverhulme Medal; Royal Medals; Rumford Medal
For 5 points: Gabor Medal (2); Sylvester Medal (3)
Not mentioned: Buchanan Medal; Copley Medal; King Charles II Medal

2 - Name one of the 20 volumes in the Feynman Lectures on Physics: The Complete Audio Collection series.
For 10 points: "From Crystal Structure to Magnetism" (Vol. 3); "Feynman on Fundamentals: Energy & Motion" (Vol 6); "Basic Concepts in Classical Physics" (Vol 9); "Feynman on Science & Vision" (Vol 11); "Feynman on Sound" (Vol 12); "Feynman on Fields" (Vol 13); "Feynman on Electromagnetism" (Vol 16)
For 5 points: "Electrical & Magnetic Behavior" (Vol 4) [2]; "Feynman on Gravity, Relativity & Electromagnetism" (Vol 8) [2]
Not mentioned: 11 other volumes

3 - Name one of the 20 points of interest along the Barbary Coast Trail from the San Francisco Museum and Historical Society's webpage.
For 10 points: Old US Mint; Waverly Place; Bank of Canton; Portsmouth Square; Aquatic Park; Ghirardelli Square
For 5 points: Commercial Street (2); Telegraph Hill (3)
Not mentioned: Hallidie Plaza; Union Square; Old St Mary's Cathedral; Montgomery Street; Jackson Square; Old Barbary Coast; Beat San Francisco; Washington Square; Fisherman's Wharf; Hyde Street Pier; Hyde-Powell Cable Car; Nob Hill

4 - Name one of the first 12 episodes from "The Twilight Zone" which aired in 1959.
For 10 points: "The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine"; "The Lonely"
For 5 points: "Where is Everybody?" (2); "Escape Clause" (3); "Time Enough At Last" (4)
Not mentioned: "One for the Angels"; "Mr. Denton on Doomsday"; "Walking Distance"; "Perchance to Dream"; "Judgment Night"; "And When the Sky Was Opened"; "What You Need"

5 - Name for me one of the ships that appears or is mentioned in any Red Dwarf episode or book.
For 10 points: SSS Esperanto; Gemini 12; SS Hermes; The Oregon
For 5 points: White Midget (5); Wildfire (2)
Not mentioned: Red Dwarf; Blue Midget; Starbug; White Giant; Nova 5; The DNA Ship; Enlightenment

And the final results are ...
With 40 points: cae_16682; gatsby; mugaboo; jar; nakarinna
With 35 points: zorba_scank; szabs; howie; brandz_mygirl
With 30 points: srini; cinnam0n

Well done! to cae, gatsby, mugaboo, jar & nakarinna on grabbing a point for October and many thanks to all who played.

#389548 - Sun Oct 14 2007 12:47 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Yet again I have been a tad slow in closing rounds but I hope to close round 5 in just over 2 hours.

#389549 - Sun Oct 14 2007 03:28 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 5 is going to stay open for a bit longer for 2 reasons:

1) I need to clarify an answer.
2) The Whitcoulls site is down so I cannot confirm the store locations unless I find them elsewhere. However it is getting too late at night for me to do this.

#389550 - Mon Oct 15 2007 12:12 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 15 ~ Monday

The word for today is Cuba and the 'theme' for today, then, is more-or-less Cuba-ish. Naturally, this gives us the wiggle room to go all the way from 1950's TV shows to posh restaurants in modern-day Manhattan ...

1. The impetus for this theme came in my recently seeing a Spanish film titled "Before Night Falls", released in 2000 and starring Javier Bardem as Cuban poet Reinaldo Arenas (pretty great film, by the way, if you can stand watching a vibrantly ugly revolution). Arenas was falsely arrested during that inhuman chaos and, as salt applied to that already brutal wound, his work was banned from publication, too. With time and amazing spirit, he survived and made his way to America (briefly) and managed to leave behind a rather staggering body of poetry and fiction; he died in 1990. His crowning achievement was the completion of a 5-novel cycle usually referred to as Pentagonia (or "Five Agonies") which, symbolically, told his life story. Please take a moment and tell me the name of one of the books in Pentagonia - and give me the English title OR the Spanish title (but not both). This will yield 10 possible answers, then, of course...

2. One of the better known American icons that came here from Cuba was, unquestionably, Desi Arnaz (1917-1986). An accomplished musician, he eventually reached millions as the beleaguered (but loving) spouse of that crazy redhead in the 1950s TV sitcom "I Love Lucy" for 6 memorable years. "Lucy" reruns are still seen daily and the lore of the show is widely cherished by young and old. This is, in part, evidenced by the abundance of gifty memorabilia that is available to the nostalgic consumer. Online, your "I Love Lucy" needs can be met by purchasing trinkets and miscellaneous goodies at 'The Market Street Mercantile', for example. Please tell me one of the twelve "I Love Lucy" items that they sell there, as per their website's opening "Lucy" page! Note: please be specific as they sell different varieties of some of the same general items; i.e., different candles, light switch plates, etc.

3. Cuba Gooding, Jr. (who was born in New York, incidentally - nothing literally Cuban about it) is famous for his Oscar-winning role as Rod Tidwell in "Jerry Maguire" and for introducing into pop culture the buzz-phrase "Show me the money!" I always kinda wondered who Cuba, Sr. was (or if he was even a celebrity, etc.), though. I looked him up, finally, and it turns out he was notable indeed! He was the lead singer of the The Main Ingredient, a 1970s/1980s group most famous for their runaway hit "Everybody Plays A Fool" in 1972. While we're on the subject, may I ask the name of another hit song from that group that landed in the US Top 20 on the Rhythm and Blues charts? Thank you so much!

4. Well, we certainly can't mention Cuba without at least an enthusiastic salute to a good cigar, can we? There is a place on the Internet called JR Cigars ~ according to them, they're the 'World's Largest Online Cigar Store'. Each month they have what is labelled a "Cherry Pick". These are the cigars that they find especially tasty -or- are favorite old standards -or- are new and worth a try -or- are tremendous bargains! Could you tell me any one of JR Cigars' "Cherry Picks", so far, in 2007? *Air Freshener available upon request...*

5. Now that we've had our Cuban poetry, a worthy Cuban cigar, a little Lucy and Ricky AND some rhythm & blues, let's eat! Morgan's Hotel can be found at 237 Madison Avenue in the heart of New York City and, therein, is a fine restaurant called 'Asia de Cuba'. Quite pricey, but the food sounds worth every penny. Or Peso? Or whatever one spends there these days . Pick an appetizer from the menu at 'Asia de Cuba', OK? And, of course, "¡Buen provecho!"

This will close at noon on Thursday. Enjoy! ~ and have an outstanding mid-October week, folks !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Oct 16 2007 09:17 AM)

#389551 - Mon Oct 15 2007 03:03 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

I think I can close round 5 now.

#389552 - Mon Oct 15 2007 03:42 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 5 saw 8 entertaining players sending answers in:

1) The 2007 MLB play-offs are under way. Please give me one of the 8 teams that are involved in the post-season.
10 Points: Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, New York Yankees
5 Points: Chicago Cubs (3), Boston Red Sox (2)
Not Mentioned: Philadelphia Phillies, Los Angeles Angels, Cleveland Indians

2) Whitcoulls is a national bookstore chain in New Zealand. Please give me the location of a store in the Canterbury or Timaru/Oamaru regions.
10 Points: Bishopdale, Bush Inn, Cashel Street, Colombo, Eastgate, Northlands, Riccarton, Timaru
5 Points: None
Not Mentioned: Ashburton, Hornby, Shirley, South City

3) Please give me one of the 9 regions or districts of the Republic of Mali.
10 Points: Bamako, Koulikoro, Mopti
5 Points: Kayes (2), Kidal (3)
Not Mentioned: Gao, Ségou, Sikasso, Tombouctou

4) Please give me the name of one of the 10 teams in the 2007/2008 Austrian Football/soccer Bundesliga competition.
10 Points: FK Austria Wien, SK Rapid Wien, SC Austria Karnten, FC Wacker Tirol
5 Points: SK Sturm Graz (2), SCR Altach (2)
Not Mentioned: LASK Linz, SV Mattersburg, FC Salzburg, SV Ried

5) Please give me one of the 11 official languages of South Africa.
10 Points: Sotho (Sesotho), Tsonga (Xitsonga), Venda (Tshivenda)
5 Points: English (3), Ndebele (isiNdebele) (2)
Not Mentioned: Afrikaans (Afrikaans), Northern Sotho (Sesotho sa Leboa), Swati (siSwati), Tswana (Setswana), Xhosa (isiXhosa), Zulu (isiZulu)

Just the one observation today.
* In an amazing piece of answer giving, everyone had a different Whitcoulls store.

Now for the results:

45 points - Cae16682 and Srini
40 points - Jar, Gatsby, and Nakarinna
35 points - Szabs
30 points - Mugaboo and Brandz_mygirl

Thank you to everyone who played and well done to Cae16682 and Srini who are able to steal an October point. However, if I was able to give 5 bonus points for picking Timaru as an answer, we would have had a three-way tie.

I will hopefully see you all here again next time.

#389553 - Mon Oct 15 2007 03:45 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Past midnight here where I am so it's time to present...

ROUND 16 - Tuesday

Today, my dear children , we'll try to take care of China.

1 - One of the world's oldest civilizations, China prouds itself with the world's longest continuously used written language system and with the Four Great Inventions of ancient China: paper, the compass, gunpowder, and printing, things we almost cannot do without in our present world.
Most of all we need a bit of orientation from time to time , so let's pay a visit to The Compass Store and choose a favourite from the "Orienteering & Education" section. (Do not pick any other items but compasses, please)

2 - The term China Syndrome refers to a possible extreme result of a nuclear meltdown where the nuclear material would be digging a proverbial hole to China. The dangers of such a hypothetical accident were the subject of the 1979 film, "The China Syndrome".
I will ask you to kindly give me another movie released in 1979, whose title begins with the letter "C".

3 - Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake is an airborne weapons testing and training range operated by the United States Navy and is located in the northeast of California's Mojave Desert.
Please take a stroll through the Mojave desert and note down for me a native Mojave animal.

4 - Among the many components of a drum kit we find the China cymbals. These are manufactured to have a dark, crisp, and explosive tone, much like the sound of a gong, and are made of brass.
Now please do a quick research and come up with a type of brass (and I mean the metal alloy of copper and zinc)

5 - One of my favourite musicians is the Greek composer Vangelis. Best known for his Academy Award winning soundtrack for the movie "Chariots of Fire", which I personally adore , Vangelis' resume lists theatre and ballet music, documentary music, the music for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games ceremony and of course, many released albums, one of them named "China".
Kindly pick a song/track that lasts for more than 10 minutes, from any studio album of Mr. Vangelis. - Apologies for not being too clear on this one -- To avoid any future misunderstandings, please look for songs in these STUDIO ALBUMS only.

This Round will close at noon (Fun Trivia time) on Saturday, 20th October. If anything looks weird in my questions you all know my username - send a PM and I'll be glad to assist you.

Edited to add a link for Question #5.

Edited by denni19 (Tue Oct 16 2007 07:42 AM)

#389554 - Tue Oct 16 2007 09:58 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Time for Round 13 to close up, but I'm waiting for a clarification so last minute entries are welcome!

#389555 - Tue Oct 16 2007 12:29 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 12 ~ Friday
"Journeyman"
12 awesome players !

*1.* Kindly tell me a song (and who performs it) that appears on the FIRST soundtrack from the film "Trainspotting", OK?

For 10 Points:
"Perfect Day" by Lou Reed, "Temptation" by New Order, "Closet Romantic" by David Albarn.
For 5 Points:
"Deep Blue Day" by Brian Eno (3), "Mile End" by Pulp (2), "Trainspotting" by Primal Scream (2), "A Final Hit" by Leftfield (2).

There were seven other songs from which to choose...

*2* We won't go back TOO far - how about you tell me one of the events mentioned on that Journeyman site that occurred in either 1997 or 1987?

For 10 Points:
Timothy McVeigh sentenced to death for Oklahoma City bombing (1997), Dow falls 22.6% in single session on Black Monday (1987), "thirtysomething" - the popular 'baby boomer' soap opera - debuts (1987), Oliver North tells Congress that higher officials approved his secret Iran/Contra operation (1987).
For 5 Points:
Hong Kong returns to Chinese rule (1997) (2), Ellen DeGeneres 'outs' herself on TV show (1997) (2), Popular movies - Fatal Attraction, Moonstruck and Wall Street (1987) (2), First 3-D video game invented (1987) (2).

The others were [from 1997] - 'Heaven's Gate' cult members commit mass suicide -and- Princess Diana dies in car crash.

*3* This time, I need another word that was in that two-sentence quip [excluding the words THE, IN or OF] offered by Mr. Michaels that fateful day.

The full quote was ~ "Well, folks, that's the greatest open in the history of television! Bar none!"

For 10 Points:
Greatest
For 5 Points:
Open (2), History (2), Television (2), Bar (3), None (2).

*4* Have a look at her site and tell me an artist (as in painters, not writers) that she [Paula Niffenegger] found exceptional enough to mention as one of her all-time favorites!

For 10 Points:
Horst Janssen, Max Klinger, Andrei Klimowski, Aubrey Beardsley.
For 5 Points:
Charlotte Salomon (4), Jiri Anderle (2), John Singer Sargent (2).

Leaving Egon Schiele and Francisco Goya as the only two not mentioned...

*5* In all fairness to the men, could you tell me a MALE celebrity (NOT a professional dancing partner on the show) who was in the contest this year as "Dancing With the Stars" [US version, Season 5] began?

For 10 Points:
...None of these to report today ....
For 5 Points:
Cameron Mathison (Actor) (4), Albert Reed (Model) *eliminated* (3), Helio Castroneves (Indy 500 driver) (3), Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks owner) (2).

Rather wisely , no one noticed Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (Boxer) or Wayne Newton *eliminated* (Singer, Las Vegas legend).

Ba-Da-Bing, then...
THE RESULTS!

brandz_mygirl, cinnamOn, Taesma .... 35 points!

bethfay, cae_16682, denni19, Jar, nakarinna, zorba_scank .... 30 points!

Howie72, Mugaboo, szabs .... 25 points!

Great turnout, excellent answers, terrific people across-the-board! Last week ended quite nicely, I'd say - and the results here were (once again) neck-and-neck ! Well done to all who joined in [and Thank You for doing so] ~ and here goes a well-deserved "monthly scoreboard point" to brandz_mygirl, cinnamOn and Taesma!

Edited by Gatsby722 (Tue Oct 16 2007 02:29 PM)

#389556 - Tue Oct 16 2007 04:12 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Round 13 is now closed!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002