Terms of Use

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#389557 - Tue Oct 16 2007 04:45 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 13 Results

13 participants this time!

1. One of Mr. Hershey's most delightful concoctions was the Hershey's Kiss! Name any variety of Hershey's Kiss that is available as of this year.

For 10 points - Special Dark Macadamia Nut, Extra Creamy, Dulce de Leche, Dark Chocolate with Almonds, Chocolate Mint, Rich Dark Chocolate, Kisses Mini cookies, Orange Creme

5 points - Milk Chocolate Macadamia Nut (3), Dark Chocolate Raspberry (2)

2. Hershey, Pennsylvania, is the home of The Hershey Company, but it has many other venues that have the Hershey name. Name any of them.

For 10 points - Hershey Cleaners, Hershey Lodge, Milton Hershey School, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hersheypark, Hershey Regional Fall Meet, Hersheypark Arena, Hershey Intermediate School, Hotel Hershey, Hershey Gardens

5 points - Hershey Museum (3)

3. The ultimate in luxury (if you love chocolate) is a trip to The Chocolate Spa in Hershey. Name any of the spa treatments that come under the category of "Everything Chocolate."

For 10 points - Chocolate Hydrotherapy, Chocolate Bean Polish, Strawberry Parfait Scrub

5 points - Cocoa Massage (4), Chocolate Sugar Scrub (3), Peppermint Salt Scrub (3)

Not mentioned were the Whipped Cocoa Bath and the Chocolate Fondue Wrap. Lover of chocolate that I am, I can't decide if I would enjoy any of these or not...

4. Christmas is a special time in Hershey. Name any of the rides that will be available during the Christmas Candylane this year.

For 10 points - Indian Echo Caverns Mini Pirate, Kissing Tower, Mini Himalaya, Swing Thing, Sunoco Classic Cars, Frog Hopper, Livery Stables, Merry Derry Dip Fun Slide,
Dinosaur Go Round

5 points - Tiger's Tail (2), Granny Bugs (2)

5. And finally, a freebie - name any product that Hershey's makes.

For 10 points - Hershey's Brownies, Zagnut, Really NUTS!, Twizzlers, Mr. Goodbar, York Peppermint Pattie, Pot of Gold, Whatchamacallit, Rolo

5 points - Sweet and Salty Granola Bars (2), Hershey's Syrup (2)

Scores

Well, there were 4 winners with 45 points until I extended the round for a bit while waiting for an answer clarification. Suddenly, in jumped Howie to take the round and the winning point with a perfect score of 50!
The unfortunate 2nd placers - szabs, nakarinna, bethfay, and denni...
40 points - zorba, Daddy19, Jar, and Gatsby
35 points - brandz and cae
30 points - Mugaboo and LizardWizard

Congratulations to Howie! And a big welcome to Daddy19!

I live in Western Pennsylvania, less than 200 miles from Hershey and have never been there!

#389558 - Tue Oct 16 2007 07:24 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Round 11 will close after 24 hours.

#389559 - Tue Oct 16 2007 07:32 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: India
ROUND 17 - Wednesday, October 17

Today's theme is the RAINBOW

1. One of the ways to remember the order of the colours in a Rainbow is to use a Mnemonic that goes "Roy G. Biv" or "Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain". A Mnemonic is a memory aid that is usually a sentence or a word, the [first] letters of which help a person to remember the items in a list (usually for educational purposes). Speaking of mnemonics, my favourite one was the "On Old Olympus' Towering Top, A Finn And German Viewed A Hop". Your task - Tell me what list that mnemonic was used for - and of course for the points, name one of the items in that list
As a point of interest: you'll find there are many cruder and crasser varieties of that mnemonic - and then some nice ones too.

2. The Rainbow Codes were a series of code names used by the British Ministry of Supply to disguise the nature of various British military projects. Each code name was constructed from a colour of the rainbow plus a noun. The Rainbow code was dropped after the Ministry was wound up in 1959. From HERE give me the name of a colour-coded project which falls under the Guided Weapon Category

3. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six is a series of video games based off the novel of the same name by Tom Clancy (or rather the book was based off the game - as it was released after the game). The game was released by Red Storm Entertainment, a company which was co-founded by Tom Clancy along with a British Royal Navy captain named Doug Littlejohns. The company then released many series of games using Tom Clancy's name. Even after the company was bought by Ubisoft Inc. in 2000, the Tom Clancy video games continue to be a part of it. Give me the name of a Tom Clancy video game from any series.

4. Rainbow Brite was an animated television series which aired on Hallmark in 1984. The show centers around a poor orphan girl named Wisp, who restores the colours in a country which has been stripped of its colour by a Dark One - and thus comes to be known as Rainbow Brite. During her adventures she meets sprites, animals, and villains, before her final confrontation with the Dark One. From HERE, give me the name of a character from the show (excluding Rainbow Brite, of course )

5. Finally, Rainbow, is the title of a studio album of Johnny Cash released in 1985, his last album for Columbia Records, before he moved on to Mercury Records. Name one of the tracks from that album

This Round will close on Monday, 21st October, FT Time.

As usual, feel free to PM me if you find some difficulty.

Edited by cae_16682 (Tue Oct 16 2007 09:58 PM)

#389560 - Wed Oct 17 2007 01:04 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
I was very busy for some time and missed 2 or 3 rounds. My sincere apologies to the hosts (because they are ones I try and NOT miss at all!). Promise to catch up with the rest of my rounds soon...please wait for me

#389561 - Wed Oct 17 2007 08:14 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Will do, srini!

#389562 - Wed Oct 17 2007 08:55 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Round 11 is now closed. Results will be up a little later.

#389563 - Thu Oct 18 2007 12:00 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Round 11 Results:

Thank you to the 12 who played this round.

1. "Mairi's Wedding" is a Scottish folk song originally written in Gaelic by Johnny Bannerman for Mary McNiven. Name any other musician who has recorded a cover version of this song.

For 10 points: Maddie Prior and June Tabor (“Silly Sisters”), David Kinnaird, Moira Anderson, Anne Roos, Alan Stivell, Wild Conserves, The Chieftains (with Van Morrison), Alexander Brothers, Paul Dooley, Teresa Doyle, Fiddler's Green, Waking Maggie
10 points all!

2. Name any movie with the word “Wedding” in its title.

For 10 points: My Best Friend’s Wedding, My First Wedding, Two Wives at One Wedding, Shotgun Wedding, Royal Wedding, The Wedding March, Muriel's Wedding, The Wedding Crashers

For 5 points: The Member of the Wedding (2), The Wedding Planner (2)

Not mentioned: My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Monsoon Wedding, The Wedding Singer, The Wedding Date, Betsy's Wedding and more

3. "White Wedding" is a song by Billy Idol that appeared on his album Billy Idol (1982). Name any other track from this album.

For 10 points: Dead on Arrival, Hole in the Wall, Nobody's Business, Come On, Come On

For 5 points: Dancing With Myself (3), Hot in the City (2), It’s So Cruel (3)

Not mentioned: Love Calling, Shooting Stars

4. Elizabeth Hurley married Arun Nayar in March 2007 in a lavish ceremony at Jodhpur, India. Name any other celebrity wedding that took place in 2007.

For 10 points: Amy Winehouse & Blake Fielder, Brittany Murphy & Simon Monjack, Jodie Sweetin & Cody Herpin, Montel Williams & Tara Fowler, Pamela Anderson & Rick Salomon, Claire Forlani & Dougray Scott, Christophe Eme & Jeri Ryan, Willa Ford & Mike Modano, Melanie Lynskey & Jimmi Simpson, Kim Fields & Christopher Morgan

For 5 points: Steve Martin & Anne Stringfield (2)

Not mentioned: Ricardo Chavira & Marcea Dietzel, Ben Kingsley & Daniela Lavender, Tobey Maguire & Jennifer Meyer, Usher & Tameka Foster, Laila Ali & Curtis Conway, Eva Longoria & Tony Parker and more

5. And lastly, please give me any superstition associated with weddings.

For 10 points: It is considered good luck for the fully attired Bride to glance in her mirror just once before leaving for her wedding, but it is bad luck to look in the mirror after she has left the bedroom to commence her journey to the ceremony, A week before the wedding, have a house-cat eat out of your left shoe for good luck, When the best man is paying the church minister's fee he should pay him an odd sum to bring luck to the couple, If the groom drops the wedding band during the ceremony, the marriage is doomed, Some think it's (supposedly) bad luck for the bride to make, or even help make, her own wedding dress, Stick a pin in your sleeve / on St. Agnes' Eve / and you will dream of the one you will marry, The Best Man must also arrange for the groom to carry a small mascot or charm in his pocket on the wedding day, The person who gives the third gift to be opened will soon have a baby

For 5 points: Good omens on your wedding day: Seeing a rainbow, having the sunshine, meeting a black cat, meeting a chimney sweep (2), Before getting married, it is bad luck to buy your significant other a watch, as it symbolizes that the time of the relationship is running out. (2)

Scores:
50 points: Gatsby
45 points: Howie, Srini, Bethfay, Nakarinna, Mugaboo
40 points: Brandz, Cae, Jar, Denni, Cinnam0n
35 points: Szabs

Congrats to Gatsby for a perfect score!

#389564 - Thu Oct 18 2007 09:47 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 15 ~ Monday
"Cuba", etc.
13 exceptionally talented participants !

*1* Please take a moment and tell me the name of one of the books in Pentagonia - and give me the English title OR the Spanish title (but not both). This will yield 10 possible answers, then, of course...

For 10 points:
"Otra vez el mar"
For 5 points:
"El color del verano" (3), "El palacio de las blanquisimas mofetas" (3), "Farewell to the Sea" (2), "The Palace of the White Skunks" (2), "Celestino antes del alba" (2)

Leaving "El Asalto", "The Assault", Singing from the Well" and "The Color of Summer" unmentioned.

*2* Online, your "I Love Lucy" needs can be met by purchasing trinkets and miscellaneous goodies at 'The Market Street Mercantile', for example. Please tell me one of the twelve "I Love Lucy" items that they sell there, as per their website's opening "Lucy" page!

For 10 points:
Mousepad, Tea Pot, Throw Blanket ['Vitameatavegimen'], TV Tray
For 5 points:
Switchplate Cover [Classic "Lucy"] (3), Door Hanger [Chocolate Factory] (2), Throw Blanket with Collectible Tin (2), Candle ["Happy Holidays!"] (2)

That's almost all of them. The only others are Tape Measures, Head Bobbers ["Let's Get in Pictures"], Throw Blankets ['Chocolate Factory'], Candles ['Chocolate Factory'] and Switchplate Covers ['Chocolate Factory'].

*3* While we're on the subject, may I ask the name of another hit song from that group that landed in the US Top 20 on the Rhythm and Blues charts? Thank you so much!

For 10 points:
Shame On The World, Rolling Down A Mountainside
For 5 points:
Just Don't Want To Be Lonely (4), I Just Wanna Love (3), Spinning Around (I Must Be Falling In Love) (2), Black Seeds Keep On Growing (2)

The other three were "I'm So Proud", "Happiness Is Just Around The Bend" and "You've Got To Take It"!

*4* Could you tell me any one of JR Cigars' "Cherry Picks", so far, in 2007?

For 10 points:
JR Ultimate Cetro [February], Savinelli ELR Corona Extra [April], Montecristo Peruvian Buena Fortuna [August], El Rey del Mundo Real 650 [September], Ramon Allones Reserve No. 1 [October]
For 5 points:
H. Upmann Super Fuerte Robusto [January] (3), Montecristo Vintage '93 [March] (2), Maria Mancini Corona Classic [June] (3)

'Nuff said about those .....

*5* Pick an appetizer from the menu at 'Asia de Cuba', OK? And, of course, "¡Buen provecho!"

For 10 points:
Crab Croquetas, Lemongrass Skewered Chicken, Asian Pesto Grilled Shrimp, 'ropa Vieja' of Duck, Asian Spiced Pork Spare Ribs, Black Bean & Chickpea Dumplings
For 5 points:
Tunapica (3), Thai Beef Salad (2), Beef Dumplings Two Ways (2)

Left behind in the bustling kitchen were: Calamari Salad 'Asia de Cuba', Braised Beef Spring Roll and the Lobster & Shitake Gyoza.

Now For The Results!

srini701 .... 40 points! (well done, sir !)

cae_16682, cinnamOn, Jar, Mugaboo .... 35 points!

brandz_mygirl, Daddy19, Howie72, nakarinna, szabs, Taesma, zorba_scank .... 30 points!

denni19 .... 25 points!

Another time it seemed like a 10-way tie for the bulk of the tally and then *zippety*, in comes that one set of answers that changed everything! Congratulations to srini701 for a soundly strong win in a very well-matched contest. Thank you all for playing ~ and have a superlative weekend!

#389565 - Thu Oct 18 2007 10:27 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 18:

The Five Elements

1. Air is the term commonly used to refer to the Earth’s atmosphere. Dry air (without water vapor) is composed of several different gases (nine major gases and several minor components). Name a gas found in the Earth’s dry atmosphere.

2. “The Fire” is the name of a second-season episode of “The Office (US)” (one of my favorite TV shows). In it, Michael Scott (played by Steve Carell) begins to show the young temp Ryan favoritism, much to the dismay of Michael’s loyal sidekick Dwight. However, Ryan accidentally starts a fire in the office, lowering his reputation in the office hierarchy. Please name another episode of “The Office” from the series’ second season.

3. The scorched earth policy of destroying territory that one is about to cede to an enemy has existed since ancient times. One of its more recent uses has been in the East Timor crisis. The East Timor Action Network (ETAN) has listed on its website several officials to contact about the situation. Please give me the name and position of any official listed on this page (No U.S. Congressmen or officials listed only by position, please).

4. Water is commonly used as an obstacle in equestrian cross country events. Various kinds of obstacles are employed in these events to test the horse’s and the rider’s strength, agility, and speed. Please name another type of obstacle used in cross country.

5. “The Fifth Element” is a 1997 science fiction movie directed by the French Director Luc Besson. The movie is a classic battle between good and evil, where a mysterious fifth element must prevent the destruction of life. Please name another movie directed by Luc Besson.

This round will close on Monday at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions or clarifications along the way. Good luck, everyone!

(edited to include a link to the ETAN contact list)

Edited by nakarinna (Thu Oct 18 2007 12:32 PM)

#389566 - Sat Oct 20 2007 03:05 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 20 October 20

1. The CISM Military World Games are being held mostly in Hyderabad. The Parachuting contest is being held 1 hour outside the city at Hakimpet airbase, and has it's final day of competition today. Name a Video Cameraman who's taking part in the this event.
2. Give me one of the 20 member countries of "International Council for the Exploration of the Sea" (ICES)
3. Deborah Kerr died this week, please give me a movie she appeared in during the 1950's
4. On Tuesday Lord Coe unveiled a statue in Aviemore commemorating 14 top sports people from Speyside. Name one of them please.
5. Name one of the last ten winers of the IEEE Edison Medal

Round will close Wednesday Noon FT time.

#389567 - Sat Oct 20 2007 03:39 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Round 19 is slightly late but has eventually find it's way to your computer.

1) The final race in the 2007 Formula One motor racing championship is being held in Brazil on October 21. Please give me the name of one of the 8 New Zealand drivers who have raced in Formula One.
2) Please give me the name of a National Park either wholly or partly in California, USA.
3) The Mint Chicks won the tui for best album at the 2007 New Zealand Music Awards on October 18th. Please give me a track off this album.
4) Please give me the name of a team in the Scottish Premier Football/Soccer League.
5) Please give me the name of a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Portugal.

#389568 - Sat Oct 20 2007 11:00 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
Round 16 (Tuesday) is now closed. Thank you to all who sent their answers.

The results will follow as soon as possible .

#389569 - Sat Oct 20 2007 02:44 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
RESULTS for ROUND 16

13 players for this Round – YAY !
Thank you all for playing!

The five questions, in shortened form, were:

1 - Pay a visit to The Compass Store and choose a favourite from the "Orienteering & Education" section. (Do not pick any other items but compasses, please)

10 points: Brunton 1SJET Orienteering Sport Compass, Arrow 30 Competition Compass, Instructional Compass 9020G Style

5 points: Brunton 6Spectra Thumb Compass [4], Suunto A-10 Partner II Compass [2], Instructional Compass - A20 Style [4]

Not mentioned: Arrow 20 Competition Compass, ARROW 5 Thumb Compass, Silva Starter Compass

2 – [”The China Syndrome” – 1979 movie] – Kindly give me another movie released in 1979, whose title begins with the letter "C".

10 points: College Beauty, Christ Stopped at Eboli, City on Fire, Chapter Two, Charlie and the Talking Buzzard, Casper Saves Halloween, Családi tüzfészek, Crack Shadow Boxers, Cinco Tenedores, Coriolanus

5 points: Caligula [3]

Not mentioned: Many others

3 - Please take a stroll through the Mojave desert and note down for me a native Mojave animal.

10 points: Mojave Green Rattlesnake, Antelope Squirrel, Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, Mohave tui chub, Western Lyre Snake, Wild Burro, Desert Tortoise, Chuckwalla, Mule Deer, Tarantula, Pronghorn

5 points: Gopher snake [2]

Not mentioned: Desert horned lizard, Kangaroo Rat, Zebra-tailed lizard, Scorpion and a few more

4 - Please do a quick research and come up with a type of brass. (and I mean the metal alloy of copper and zinc)

10 points: Admiralty brass, Low brass, Rivet/Common brass, Arsenical brass, Yellow Brass, White Brass, DZR Brass, Naval Brass

5 points: Cartridge Brass [3], High brass [2],

Not mentioned: Aluminum brass, Leaded brass, Alpha brasses, Red brass, Duplex brass

5 - Kindly pick a song/track that lasts for more than 10 minutes, from any STUDIO ALBUM of Mr. Vangelis.

10 points: Heaven and Hell - Part two (21:16), Invisible Connections (18:30)

5 points: Thermo Vision (13:19) [4], Heaven and Hell - Part one (21:58) [2], Movement 1 from “The Mask” (10:18) [3], Movement 4 from “Mythodea: Music for the NASA Mission: 2001 Mars Odyssey” (13:42) [2]

Not mentioned: Beaubourg Part I (18:09), Beaubourg Part II (21:05), Himalaya (10:53), See You Later (10:22), Movement 1 from “Soil Festivities” (18:20)

The final results for Round 16 are:

45 points: Zorba_scank ---> Well done !

40 points: Brandz, Cae, Cinnam0n, Howie, Jar, Taesma

35 points: Daddy19, Gatsby, Mugaboo, Nakarinna, Srini, Szabs

A very tight race from which Zorba managed to detach in the last minute and arrive on first place. Congratulations! And 1 point for October, of course .

A warm welcome to Taesma and Daddy19 who visited for the first time one of my rounds.

#389570 - Sun Oct 21 2007 11:06 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 17 is now CLOSED

#389571 - Sun Oct 21 2007 11:53 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
cae_16682 Offline
Forum Champion

ROUND 17 - Wednesday, October 17 - RESULTS

The theme was the RAINBOW

12 brilliant players this week

1. One of the ways to remember the order of the colours in a Rainbow is to use a Mnemonic that goes "Roy G. Biv" or "Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain". A Mnemonic is a memory aid that is usually a sentence or a word, the [first] letters of which help a person to remember the items in a list (usually for educational purposes). Speaking of mnemonics, my favourite one was the "On Old Olympus' Towering Top, A Finn And German Viewed A Hop". Your task - Tell me what list that mnemonic was used for - and of course for the points, name one of the items in that list
As a point of interest: you'll find there are many cruder and crasser varieties of that mnemonic - and then some nice ones too.

Everyone answered the question right - The mnemonic is used for naming the twelve cranial nerves in the body.
For 10 points: Optic, Olfactory

For 5 points: Trochlear (3), Glossopharyngeal (3), Accessory (2), Facial (2)

Not mentioned: Oculomotor, Trigeminal, Vestibulocochlear, Abducens, Vagus, Hypoglossal

2. The Rainbow Codes were a series of code names used by the British Ministry of Supply to disguise the nature of various British military projects. Each code name was constructed from a colour of the rainbow plus a noun. The Rainbow code was dropped after the Ministry was wound up in 1959. From HERE give me the name of a colour-coded project which falls under the Guided Weapon Category

For 10 points: Green Flash, Blue Duck, Red Hand, Green Flax, Green Sparkler, Red Cat

For 5 points: Orange William (2), Blue Dolphin (2), Green Lizard (2)

Not mentioned: Black Rock, Blue Boar, Blue Envoy, Blue Jay, Blue Moon and so many others

3. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six is a series of video games based off the novel of the same name by Tom Clancy (or rather the book was based off the game - as it was released after the game). The game was released by Red Storm Entertainment, a company which was co-founded by Tom Clancy along with a British Royal Navy captain named Doug Littlejohns. The company then released many series of games using Tom Clancy's name. Even after the company was bought by Ubisoft Inc. in 2000, the Tom Clancy video games continue to be a part of it. Give me the name of a Tom Clancy video game from any series.

For 10 points: Rainbow Six: Vegas, Rainbow Six : Black Arrow, Rainbow Six: Athena Sword, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Splinter Cell: Essentials, Ghost Recon: Ghost Recon

For 5 points: Rainbow Six: Critical Hour (2), Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (3)

Not mentioned: Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, Take-Down, Lockdown ; Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, Jungle Storm, Ghost Recon 2, Summit Strike and others.

4. Rainbow Brite was an animated television series which aired on Hallmark in 1984. The show centers around a poor orphan girl named Wisp, who restores the colours in a country which has been stripped of its colour by a Dark One - and thus comes to be known as Rainbow Brite. During her adventures she meets sprites, animals, and villains, before her final confrontation with the Dark One. From HERE, give me the name of a character from the show (excluding Rainbow Brite, of course )

For 10 points: Orin, Puppy Brite, Sunriser, Shy Violet, Spark, On-X, Brian, Murky

For 5 points: Skydancer (2), Starlite (2)

Not mentioned: Red Butler, Lala Orange, Canary Yellow, Patty O'Green, Buddy Blue, Indigo and others

5. Finally, Rainbow, is the title of a studio album of Johnny Cash released in 1985, his last album for Columbia Records, before he moved on to Mercury Records. Name one of the tracks from that album

For 10 points: Look at Them Beans, You Beat All I Ever Saw, Here Comes That Rainbow Again, Borderline, I'm Leaving Now

For 5 points: Unwed Fathers (3), Casey's Last Ride (2), Love Me Like You Used To (2)

Not mentioned: They're All the Same, Easy Street

This week saw players play neck to neck - with the final result looking to end in several ties. However one player did manage to wrench herself free from the crowd and emerge victorious

And the winners are:

With 45 Points!: Zorba Congratulations!
With 40 Points: Lizard Wizard, Brandz, Denni, Srini, Cinnamon
With 35 Points: Mugaboo, Taesma, szabs,
With 30 Points: Gatsby, Nakarinna, Jar

A monthly point goes to Zorba_Scank for this round. And a warm welcome to Taesma to the FT Trivia rounds.

See you all again in November

#389572 - Mon Oct 22 2007 11:35 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 18 Results

12 players entered this round…

1. Air is the term commonly used to refer to the Earth’s atmosphere. Dry air (without water vapor) is composed of several different gases (nine major gases and several minor components). Name a gas found in the Earth’s dry atmosphere.

For 10 points: Krypton, Methane

For 5 points: Argon (2), Helium (2), Nitrogen (2), Oxygen (4)

Not mentioned: Carbon dioxide, Neon

2. “The Fire” is the name of a second-season episode of “The Office (US)” (one of my favorite TV shows). In it, Michael Scott (played by Steve Carell) begins to show the young temp Ryan favoritism, much to the dismay of Michael’s loyal sidekick Dwight. However, Ryan accidentally starts a fire in the office, lowering his reputation in the office hierarchy. Please name another episode of “The Office” from the series’ second season.

For 10 points: “Boys and Girls,” “Conflict Resolution,” “Performance Review,” “The Carpet,” “The Client,” “The Dundies”

For 5 points: “E-Mail Surveillance” (2), “Michael’s Birthday” (2), “The Injury” (2)

Not mentioned: “Sexual Harassment,” “Office Olympics,” “Halloween,” “The Fight” and others

3. The scorched earth policy of destroying territory that one is about to cede to an enemy has existed since ancient times. One of its more recent uses has been in the East Timor crisis. The East Timor Action Network (ETAN) has listed on its website several officials to contact about the situation. Please give me the name and position of any official listed on this page.

For 10 points: Abdurrachman Saleh (Attorney General of Indonesia), Ban Ki-moon (UN Secretary General), Dr. Zalmay Khalilzad (U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations), Eleanor Nagy (U.S. Ambassador to East Timor), Laksamana Widodo Adi Sucipto (Coordinating Minister for Political, Justice and Security Affairs), Major General da Costa (Military Commander Region IX/Udayana), Mr. Rezlan Ishar Jenie (Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Republic of Indonesia to the United Nations), Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (President of Indonesia)

For 5 points: Dr. Nur Hassan Wirajuda (Minister for Foreign Affairs) (2), Hamid Awaludin (Minister of Justice and Human Rights) (2)

Not mentioned: Jose Ramos-Horta (President of Timor-Leste), Atul Khare (UN Special Representative for Timor-Leste), Dr. Juwono Sudarsono (Indonesian Minister for Defense), and others

4. Water is commonly used as an obstacle in equestrian cross country events. Various kinds of obstacles are employed in these events to test the horse’s and the rider’s strength, agility, and speed. Please name another type of obstacle used in cross country.

For 10 points: Ditch, Log fence, Shark’s teeth

For 5 points: Brush fence (3), Coffin (2), Drop fence (2), Trakehner (2)

Not mentioned: Arrowhead, Bank, Bullfinch, Corner, Rolltop, Stone wall, Sunken Road, and others

5. “The Fifth Element” is a 1997 science fiction movie directed by the French director Luc Besson. The movie is a classic battle between good and evil, where a mysterious fifth element must prevent the destruction of life. Please name another movie directed by Luc Besson.

For 10 points: Angel-A, Arthur et les Minimoys, L'Avant dernier, Le Grand Bleu, Léon

For 5 points: Atlantis (2), Le Dernier Combat (The Last Battle) (2), Subway (3)

Not Mentioned: The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc, Nikita, De Serge Gainsbourg à Gainsbarre de 1958 – 1991

Scores:

With 40 points: cae_16682, szabs, Taesma, cinnam0n

With 35 points: denni19, brandz_mygirl, Gatsby722, Howie72, srini701
With 30 points: Mugaboo, zorba_scank
With 25 points: Jar

Congratulations to cae_16682, szabs, Taesma, and cinnam0n for picking up one trivia point each!

Thanks for playing, everyone !

#389573 - Tue Oct 23 2007 06:23 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
Real life has intruded at my house a bit over the past week or so, but here is a quick and easy Round 22 brought to you by Bond, James Bond.

1 - Everyone I know has a favorite James Bond (I sure do) so ... Name an actor who has portrayed James Bond in any medium (film, TV, radio).

2 - Oh, those dastardly denizens of the underworld that James must battle! Name a villain that James Bond opposes in any James Bond film. (There are many "henchmen" that assist the main villains in the films - please just stick to the chief evil-doer for each film - thanks!)

3 - Where would James be without the loyal friends and helpers he relies on? Name a recurring ally (i.e. with more than one appearance) of James Bond in book or film. (No "one-timer" friends please.)

4 - The 00 prefix is, of course, a designation of those agents with "license to kill" in the course of performing their duties. Name another 00-designated agent who appears in the James Bond books or films.

5 - Title songs for the James Bond films are virtually assured of becoming hits for their writers and performers. Name the performer of a James Bond movie title song. (Please give me the name of the song too so that I can ensure I know which one you are referring to.}

If anyone has difficulty finding any of the answers, just let me know. Cheers!

#389574 - Tue Oct 23 2007 10:41 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Singapore
Round 23 quiz – October

I started thinking about this quiz early, on Saturday actually. And its now almost the end of Tuesday (FT time) and I’ve only just managed to come up with a quiz. I think very slowly.

I read somewhere that the average person walks 18,000 steps a year. No idea how accurate this is but it got me thinking about my feet. I use them everyday, force them into uncomfortable shoes for the sake of fashion and give them little thought, that is until they start to hurt. Many a lovely day out had been rudely curtailed when my feet started to hurt.

So this is my “Four feet and one other” quiz.

1. To get things going, an easy question to start. Please name any of the bones found in the foot.

2. Now, this website has some useful tips on buying athletic shoes for kids. Please give me any one of those tips. If a tip runs into more than one sentence, please just give me the first sentence.

3. The Ironman Triathlon is held every fall in Hawaii. There are 2 ways to qualify for a spot in this triathlon. One way is through a lottery ( if I were to take part in a lottery, I want the lottery prize to be in $$$, not a spot on a triathlon), the other is through the 21 Ironman Triathlon qualifying races throughout the world. Please give me the name (just the name) of any of the qualifying races.

4. The 1981 movie “Chariots of Fire” has quite a number of running scenes. I enjoy reading movie trivia and imdb is usually a good source. From the imdb website, please give me any one of the listed trivia regarding this film. Again, if a trivia runs into more than one sentence, please just give me the first sentence.

5. This is where I ran out of feet-related questions and the “one other” in the title comes in. Luckily I have a topic handy to fill in for the 5th question. I like flowers, they look nice, they smell nice, very little to not like. But would I eat a flower, I’m not sure. Please give me the common name of any edible flower.

That’s all for this round. I’m always a PM away if you need help. This round will close on Friday 26 October midnight FT time.

#389575 - Wed Oct 24 2007 11:24 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 20 - 11 played

1. The CISM Military World Games are being held mostly in Hyderabad. The Parachuting contest is being held 1 hour outside the city at Hakimpet airbase, and has it's final day of competition today. Name a Video Cameraman who's taking part in the this event
For 10 points: Ali Khalifa (Bahrain); Bozoki Zsolt (Hungary); Rutentals Reinis (Latvia); Janne Pekka Toua (Norway); Drago Bunic (Slovenia); Jose Fuentes Hackintosh (Spain); Bertid Andersson (Sweden)
For 5 points: Markus Seifert (Austria) [2]; Zhang Jinxiang (China) [2]
Not mentioned include: Dieter Dankesreiter (Germany - who won team gold) and 23 others.

2. Give me one of the 20 member countries of International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES)
For 10 points: Belgium; Finland; Iceland; Spain
For 5 points: Latvia [3]; Portugal [2]; United Kingdom [2]
Not mentioned: Canada; Denmark; Estonia; France; Germany; Ireland; Lithuania; Netherlands; Norway; Poland; Russia; Sweden; USA.

3. Deborah Kerr died this week, please give me a movie she appeared in during the 1950's
For 10 points: Quo Vadis; Dream Wife; The Proud and Profane; The King and I; Tea and Sympathy; Heaven Knows Mr. Allison; Count Your Blessings; Beloved Infidel
For 5 points: Separate Tables [3]
Not mentioned include: King Solomon's Mines; The Prisoner of Zenda; From Here to Eternity;

4. On Tuesday Lord Coe unveiled a statue in Aviemore commemorating 14 top sports people from Speyside. Name one of them please.
For 10 points: Noel Baxter (skiing); Ian Finlayson (skiing); Peter Fuchs (skiing); Roddy Langmuir (skiing); Ewan MacKenzie (Nordic skiing); Louise MacKenzie (Nordic skiing); Lesley McKenna (snowboarding)
For 5 points: James Dryburgh (curling) [2]; Sean Langmuir (skiing) [2]
Not mentioned: Ingrid Grant (skiing); Alain Baxter (skiing); Andrew Freshwater (skiing); Douglas Dryburgh (curling); Craig MacLean (cycling)

5. Name one of the last ten winers of the IEEE Edison Medal.
For 10 points: Russell Dean Dupuis; Federico Capasso; Kornelis (Kees) Antonie
Schouhamer Immink; Rolf Landauer; Esther Marly Conwell
For 5 points: Fawwaz Tayssir Ulaby [4]; Robert Heath Dennard [2]
Not mentioned: Peter Lawrenson; Edward Eugene Hammer; Jun-ishi Nishizawa

Scores:
45 points: Nakarinna
40 points: Brandz_mygirl; Cinnam0n; Cae_16682; Denni19; Gatsby722; Srini701; Szabs
35 points: Howie72; Jar; Zorba_scank

Wow, a close round with Nakarinna coming away for a clear victory, well done.

#389576 - Wed Oct 24 2007 10:49 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Round 25

1. Lotus Foot or ‘foot binding’ was a custom practiced on young females for approximately one thousand years in China, beginning in the 10th century. One of the objectives of the Taiping Rebellion was to establish gender equality by ending foot binding. Name one of the commanders of the Taiping Rebellion.

2. The Lotus (Padma) is one of the Eight Auspicious Objects in Buddhism collectively called the "Ashtamangala". Name any one of the remaining seven symbols in the "Ashtamangala”.

3. ‘The Blue Lotus’ is one of the books in ‘The Adventures of Tintin’ series created by by Belgian artist Hergé and is set in China. Name any other book from ‘The Adventures of Tintin’ series.

4. There are only seven Bahá'í Houses of Worship located around the world. One of them is the Lotus Temple in Delhi, India which is designed in the form of a lotus flower. Name any other location of an existing Bahá'í House of Worship.

5. "Lotus Land" is a common nickname for the city of Vancouver, BC, Canada. Name any famous person from the field of music or films who was born in Vancouver.

Please PM me for any help/clarifications. This round will close on Monday night FT time.

#389577 - Fri Oct 26 2007 03:00 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 26 ~ Friday

Yikes. While looking through the bowels of some long-forgotten cupboard space the other day, I found a jar of this ancient (and probably now slightly/completely toxic ) substance! As one thing leads to another, I decided not to drink it ~ but it came in handy in "thematic" terms....

1. Taster's Choice instant coffee, or 'Nescafé Gold Blend', was only one product line (but, as time passed, a most integral one) of the Necafé Company. Nescafé, a portmandeau of the words "Nestlé" and "Café", was formed in Switzerland on April Fools Day in 1938, ultimately having a particularly hard time in surviving the rigors of WWII. It DID survive, though, coming back into fashion especially in the late 1950s when drinking coffee and being a "beatnik" in smoky clubs went completely hand in hand. While sipping refreshing beverages there in Switzerland, a local might enjoy watching a good match of Schwingen - it's a Swiss version of folk wrestling (and very popular, too). Every three years they have 'Eidgenössische' tournaments, the winner given the title of "Schwingerkönig" (or, in English, "The King of Schwinger" - which rather sounds like a nick for a 40's Big Band leader, doesn't it ?). Tell me the name of one of those winners from the 20th Century, OK?

2. To most of us watching television in the 1980s, some of the more enjoyable (and serial-like) departures between programming were those engaging Taster's Choice ads. They featured a pair of neighbors who borrowed coffee from each other a lot which eventually led to -um- a little more than enjoyable breakfast drinks being shared between the two . The commercials starred Sharon Maughan and Anthony Head ~ the latter becoming an American TV star playing Rupert Giles on the long-running supernatural drama "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". It is likely that a Taster's Choice advertising success put Mr. Head on the 'map', but he is a considerably gifted actor/entertainer aside from all that. Kindly tell me a live stage show (nothing 'broadcast' and no conventions - only plays or revues, etc.) in which Anthony Head has appeared in the 21st Century.

3. A small but mighty black-and-white film called The Poison Tasters was released in 1995. It told the character-driven tale of two men of uncertain origins hiding in a blacked-out Polish flat on the eve of the Nazi invasion in September 1939. Eventually they were joined by others and each faced their fate(s) in ways that only those in such peril might consider. Some good, some bad befell them as it went and finally, the film came to its end with a *flash* of light (or was it the Germans, or self-awareness, or just plain old wisdom?). The film was shot in Lódz, the second largest city in Poland and known (and not happily remembered) for its "ghetto" there during Nazi occupation. Please give me a street name in that sizable Lódz Ghetto back then whose Polish name begins/began with a 'Z' , OK? No German street names, please.

4. There is an Italian rock band (that calls its style 'Tribal MetalCore' ) that formed in late 1999, named - what else? - Taster's Choice. Not exactly up there with the likes of U2 just yet, they remain solid and are working very hard to get global attention. On their website they are even selling band-themed merchandise, notably T-shirts! Have a look over there and tell me one of the seven colors T-shirts are available in with the Taster's Choice band [logo] on it (the colors are in Italian, so your answers should be, too).

5. American author Lynne Ewing not only writes entirely popular fantasy books for a juvenile/young adult readership ~ she also pens screenplays AND counsels troubled teens, too. This busier-than-seems-necessary woman, between other projects, wrote a book called "The Choice", an installment in her "Daughters of the Moon" series of novels. She actually has three book series to her credit (the one mentioned, "Sons of the Dark" and "Sisters of Isis" - all juvi fantasy tales). Anyway, aside from "The Choice", would you tell me another book's title from the "Daughters of the Moon" series, please? Note: Whether or not the book has been released yet is not important; if it has a working title, it will be counted as a correct answer.

This will close on Tuesday afternoon, FT time. Let's say at 3PM-ish. Have a good weekend ... and, remember this: if you find any foodstuff dated prior to 1989 in your house, don't taste test it to see if it's still good, OK? Chances are, it isn't .

#389578 - Fri Oct 26 2007 11:09 PM Re: October Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 23 is closed. I need to go out for a while. Results will be posted when I get back.

#389579 - Sat Oct 27 2007 03:21 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
brandz_mygirl Offline
Multiloquent

Round 23– October answers

Thank you to the 9 lovely players!

1. To get things going, an easy question to start. Please name any of the bones found in the foot.

For Ten Points: Fifth metatarsal, Fourth metatarsal, Middle phalanx (also known as phalange) of fourth toe, Middle phalanx of third toe, Lateral cuneiform, First metatarsal, Distal phalange (also known as phalanx) of third toe, Cuboid, Talus

10 points all – As I wasn’t very clear in my question, I’ve allowed answers to include the same bone name but from different toes.

Not mentioned: 17 more excluding the sesamoid bones

2. Now, this website has some useful tips on buying athletic shoes for kids. Please give me any one of those tips. If a tip runs into more than one sentence, please just give me the first sentence.

For Ten Points:
-For some children who have flat feet or who pronate excessively, special orthotic inserts may be beneficial,
-Look for good quality athletic shoes that have adequate support and cushioning
-Running shoes in particular come with a variety of arch supports
-Shoes used for sports should be examined for signs of wear and replaced when necessary
-For comfort and injury prevention, children who regularly participate in a sport should wear shoes designed specifically for the demands of that sport

For Five Points:
-Shorter cleats on football and soccer shoes may help to reduce knee and ankle injuries (2)
-If specific socks are required as part of a uniform, it is important to wear these socks, or ones of the same thickness, to try on the shoes (2)

Not mentioned: 5 more!

3. The Ironman Triathlon is held every fall in Hawaii. There are 2 ways to qualify for a spot in this triathlon. One way is through a lottery ( if I were to take part in a lottery, I want the lottery prize to be in $$$, not a spot on a triathlon), the other is through the 21 Ironman Triathlon qualifying races throughout the world. Please give me the name (just the name) of any of the qualifying races.

For Ten Points: Ironman France, Ironman Lanzarote, Ironman Malaysia, Ironman Coeur d’Alene, Ironman Arizona

For Five Points: Ironman Austria (2), Ironman Switzerland (2)

Not mentioned: 14 more races!

4. The 1981 movie “Chariots of Fire” has quite a number of running scenes. I enjoy reading movie trivia and imdb is usually a good source. From the imdb website, please give me any one of the listed trivia regarding this film. Again, if a trivia runs into more than one sentence, please just give me the first sentence.

For Ten Points:
-French actor Michael Lonsdale is often credited with being in this film but there is no sign of him in the finished film
-In real life, the text from the Bible was handed to Eric Liddell by a coach on the US team, not by Jackson Scholz.
-Though it is not mentioned in the movie, both Eric Liddell won bronze in the 200 meters, and Harold M. Abrahams a silver with the 4x100 meters relay team
-Trinity College, Cambridge, refused permission to film the Great Court Run scene in their quad (apparently because they were annoyed that their Fellows would be portrayed as anti-Semitic in the film), and persuaded other colleges to withhold filming rights also
-The "male military band" featured several women disguised with false mustaches.

For Five Points:
-Having completed his first draft, screenwriter Colin Welland was unable to conceive a title for the film beyond the somewhat uninteresting "Runners" (2)
-The character Watson in the film was in real life Arthur Porritt, father of the environmentalist Jonathan Porritt (2)

Not mentioned: 29 more!

5. This is where I ran out of feet-related questions and the “one other” in the title comes in. Luckily I have a topic handy to fill in for the 5th question. I like flowers, they look nice, they smell nice, very little to not like. But would I eat a flower, I’m not sure. Please give me the common name of any edible flower.

For Ten Points: Fuchsia, Gardenia, Signet Marigold, English Daisy, Garden Sorrel, Sunflowers, Pot Marigolds (also known as Calendulas), Hibiscus, Cauliflower

10 points all

Not mentioned: Loads more! Can be found on various websites. Please read all the warnings before attempting to eat any flowers.

Results!

Top Place:
50 points: Srini, Jar & Cinnamon – Congratulations on winning the coveted one point!

Other results:
45 points: Mugaboo & Gatsby

40 points: Lizard_Wizard & Cae_16682

35 points: Nakarinna & Szabs

#389580 - Sat Oct 27 2007 07:28 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
I'm closing up shop now on Round 22 and will post results shortly ... and also catch up on those rounds that are still left open as of now. My apologies for being an absentee player this past couple of weeks!

#389581 - Sat Oct 27 2007 07:38 AM Re: October Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
*As the month winds down, I was just thinking (which has caused quite an annoying amount of rattle in my head, by the way ) ~ I can keep sharing Fridays with Howie for a while. It's working out OK doing two days the way they're falling.
Unless someone else would like to hop in, of course. But, if not, I'm good for next month, etc. ....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002