Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#389616 - Sun Sep 30 2007 03:15 PM Photo-a-day - October 2007
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Welcome to the October photo thread. The September thread will be left open for a while to allow for World time zones. It will close it once it is October 1st for everyone. Post in either thread (but not both) until then. Keep the good photos coming.

If anyone needs information on how to post photos, it can be found in the 'Photo posting guide' located at the top of the forum.

#389617 - Sun Sep 30 2007 04:13 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
*sob* my normal computer's 'net conenction is down at the moment so I'm stuck on the heavily filtererd school computer and I can't play. Will have lots of photos to catch up on when it gets fixed. (and if anyone knows how to re-align a satellite dish I know a builder who could use the info)

#389618 - Sun Sep 30 2007 04:55 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Quote:

*sob* my normal computer's 'net conenction is down at the moment so I'm stuck on the heavily filtererd school computer and I can't play. Will have lots of photos to catch up on when it gets fixed. (and if anyone knows how to re-align a satellite dish I know a builder who could use the info)

That is sad news. I hope it gets fixed soon. I can't help with the dish but know it is supposed to be directed more or less upwards

This ball is made of solid rock and weighs tons. It floats on a cushion of water and can therefore be spun around with the hands.

#389619 - Mon Oct 01 2007 12:10 AM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia

This photo is especially for Yaarbiriah who loves birds.

This is Vinnie, my friend Margy's sulphur-crested cockatoo. Vinnie is an excellent mimic, has a good vocabulary and loves attention. He likes a scratch on the head and he won't bite unless you do something stupid like try to scratch under his beak.

P.S. TW, we have one of those rock balls in the centre of Perth too. Next time I am in the city, I'll try to remember to get a photo of it.

#389620 - Mon Oct 01 2007 04:12 AM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
peggy5 Offline
Explorer

Loc: New Zealand
Thanks for the welcome back in the September thread. so inkeeping with NZ theme photos for me is a picture taken from the Luxmore Hut on the Kepler Track that I walked last year. the sunrise was beautiful. Will add more photos from the track over the next few days. I only took a little point and shot camera with me and was impressed how the photos came out

#389621 - Mon Oct 01 2007 11:52 AM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
bhs63 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: South Carolina USA
I love cockatoos. I used to have one named Topper. Besides his wonderful vocabulary, he had all different kinds of cat sounds -- gentle meow, halloween screech -- he sounded better than the cat! He also coughed politely by bringing one leg up to cover his beak. The first time he ever did that I thought he was dying. He must have been copying his previous owner.

Here is another pic I took over the weekend.

#389622 - Mon Oct 01 2007 12:28 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
What on earth is that thing - looks like a cross between a bird and an insect
Not a very nice day here today, overcast and wet. This goose on a log in the nearby Lea Valley regional park didn't mind though, and I liked the light reflections on the water.

#389623 - Mon Oct 01 2007 02:31 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
Ooo, we're starting October off so nicely! Love all the photos so far.

Look! I took a photo of the Loch Ness Monster!!

Ok, no, it's just a humpback whale that we spotted on a visit to the Channel Islands this past March (the US Channel Islands, Sue, off the coast of California ) This whale had a great time playing with a strand of kelp, and we got to watch him for a long time. Thrilling!

#389624 - Mon Oct 01 2007 02:48 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
Great photos everyone. We finally went for our drive to the countryside. We were hoping to go several weeks ago but it has been cool and damp. This is a photo of the Pembina Valley area. We were hoping for better fall colors but being several weeks late the best has past. We don't really get vivid colors here at the best of times. Our window of opportunity is very small.

Different shot and larger

Homer Simpson

#389625 - Mon Oct 01 2007 04:57 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Quick, before the witching hour!

I finally got a pink sky when I was in the carpark on my way to my photography class.

Edited to correct typo - I was in too much of a hurry to post.

Edited by sue943 (Mon Oct 01 2007 04:59 PM)

#389626 - Mon Oct 01 2007 07:31 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Another view of one of my favourite areas, Golders Green. On the left is the 'Big Red building on Golders Green Road', the discount Gold's clothing shop, once the Big Red building in Petticoat Lane where they sold leather jackets. The train goes across the bridge to Golders Green and Brent Cross at each end and the station itself is at the far end of the road beyond it.

#389627 - Mon Oct 01 2007 10:13 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
This fellow and his partner, also a drummer, had drawn quite a crowd outside the Eaton Centre in Toronto on Saturday afternoon. They had their kits set up too far apart to get a decent shot of both of them.

#389628 - Tue Oct 02 2007 02:57 AM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
peggy5 Offline
Explorer

Your photos are great.

A view of the mountains around us as we walked along the tops

#389629 - Tue Oct 02 2007 06:28 AM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
As has been said many times, this is a place of contrasts. I spotted this dear little old building, in among the ghastly new blocks.

#389630 - Tue Oct 02 2007 10:13 AM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
After whale-watching, we made it to Santa Cruz Island, part of the Channel Islands National Park.

#389631 - Tue Oct 02 2007 11:14 AM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Have I mentioned Brent Cross? This is about half of the first shopping mall in the UK, built on a sewage farm in 1976. I don't know what happened to the sewage since, maybe someone will find out.

Sue, I wonder if anyone heading for those Channel Islands has ended up on yours or vice versa? It's not totally impossible.

#389632 - Tue Oct 02 2007 12:02 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
picqero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Hertfordshire<br>England UK
Quote:

Sue, I wonder if anyone heading for those Channel Islands has ended up on yours or vice versa? It's not totally impossible.

It certainly isn't, a former colleague of mine visited a local travel agent to book a long week-end in Blackpool, and came out with a 3 week trip on the Trans-Siberian railway
This colourful building in Hertford, our county town, has nothing to do with the church just behind it. It's a Georgian house now converted into apartments - so still a house after 200 years!

#389633 - Tue Oct 02 2007 02:17 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
This is a different shot of the Pembina Valley. I stopped at the side of the road that leads down into the valley. Up to this point the landscape was as flat as prairie can be, then suddenly you're looking at this beautiful valley.

Larger photo

Homer Simpson

#389634 - Tue Oct 02 2007 03:25 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
What a beautiful sunrise, peggy5.

So that's where Gold's have gone, satguru. I remember the Petticoat Lane building well, and the LBC commercials.

The Blackfriars area of London seems to get uglier with every bit of redevelopment, but I'm glad to see that the Black Friar pub survives. There's a lot of much nicer art nouveau decoration inside; but I got there before opening time and had other places to get to.

#389635 - Tue Oct 02 2007 03:36 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
buddysmum Offline
Participant

Loc: Reading England UK            
Quote:

Another view of one of my favourite areas, Golders Green. On the left is the 'Big Red building on Golders Green Road', the discount Gold's clothing shop, once the Big Red building in Petticoat Lane where they sold leather jackets. The train goes across the bridge to Golders Green and Brent Cross at each end and the station itself is at the far end of the road beyond it.

I used to live just round the corner from there!! Rotherwick Rd.

My first car broke down at the traffic lights just beyond that bridge the first time I broungt it home and I held up the rush-hour traffic for over an hour!!!!!!

Edited by sue943 (Tue Oct 02 2007 05:07 PM)

#389636 - Tue Oct 02 2007 03:46 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
buddysmum Offline
Participant

Loc: Reading England UK            
Quote:

This ball is made of solid rock and weighs tons. It floats on a cushion of water and can therefore be spun around with the hands.

That's a bit like one we found in Zurich recently:

click to enlarge

Edited by tellywellies (Tue Oct 02 2007 04:51 PM)

#389637 - Tue Oct 02 2007 06:19 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:

I used to live just round the corner from there!! Rotherwick Rd.

Lucky you, that's a very nice part of the world. I lived in Ossulton Way for most of my earlier life and had I the cash would be back in that area in seconds.

Tom, you must listen to LBC again by one of the other methods now you've moved. Besides hearing me call in regularly they still sing the same song with its new location although not nearly as often as Goldrange did. And they only sing the catchphrase bit now rather than the whole tune which is a shame.

#389638 - Tue Oct 02 2007 09:49 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
peggy5 Offline
Explorer

Ok last one of the Kepler Track. We spent a few hours walking on ridges like this one. That's my Mum walking ahead. the snow was frozen and sliperly so we had to go slow but it was such a beautiful day we didn't mind. the other two days we walked through the bush.

Links to other photos of the Track if you wish to look. You can see we are up in the sunshine while the valleys were in the fog all day
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/LLina/Kepler%20Track/walking.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/LLina/Kepler%20Track/sun.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/LLina/Kepler%20Track/bbb.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/LLina/Kepler%20Track/track.jpg

#389639 - Tue Oct 02 2007 10:26 PM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
This is the Sam the Record Man sign on Yonge Street in Toronto, recently saved from extinction when the original store (opened in 1961) finally closed. There was a public outcry when it became known that the owners were selling off everything (including the sign) with the result that the city had the place designated a 'heritage site', meaning that the sign can't be moved or destroyed.

The pic's a bit fuzzy, as I was being jostled by the crowds. Yonge Street is a zoo!

#389640 - Wed Oct 03 2007 02:35 AM Re: Photo-a-day - October 2007
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
The weather is awful, Gnawra and I are mad because we can't go out. "Blah' , from my Bali mask!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy