Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#393221 - Sun Oct 21 2007 03:14 PM Going grey
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I think there are enough of us here with some experience, that we can talk about this. Are you doing it? What do you do about it?

My husband had a thick shock of hair that went grey fairly early. For him, it started at the crown of his head - for many years he had a little skull cap of white hair, that got a bit bigger every year. By the time he was 45 or so, his whole head had turned - a rich, shining silver. Very handy in a crowd - I could always spot him.

My hair is pretty long, about to the small of my back. It's a dark blonde, and I am greying in streaks. It looks as if I had dipped my hand in bleach, and then run my fingers repeatedly through my hair. I kinda like it, no plans to cover it up, at least in the immediate future.

How about you?

#393222 - Sun Oct 21 2007 03:25 PM Re: Going grey
djsgal Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Springfield Virginia USA     
I found my first grey hair on my 20th birthday. I called my dad, who was prematurely grey, and asked him when he first starting to get grey hair. "Oh, about 20 or so" was his answer! I'm now 38 and I get it colored every 3 weeks. If I didn't, I would be about 80% grey, and I just feel I am a bit young for it!

#393223 - Sun Oct 21 2007 03:41 PM Re: Going grey
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I found white hairs in my teens, so much so that by my early twenties I used to brush grey powder into my hair so it was obvious that it was intentional to stop people saying "Aren't you going grey!". By the time I was in my late twenties my temples were white and I had plenty of other white hairs.

I did go to the hairdresser when I was in my late twenties and had a permanent colour applied, then had my roots done six weeks later then gave up, I let it grow out and didn't bother again.

These days I find the occasional dark hair and pull it out!

My face is still relatively young looking, for an old hag, so I am really not bothered by having white hair.

My older brother has white hair too, what he has left of it, and my red-haired daughter who is almost thirty has lots of white hairs too.

#393224 - Sun Oct 21 2007 03:46 PM Re: Going grey
Silvertop Offline
Participant

Loc: Castleford Yorkshire UK
As may be obvious from my screen-name, my hair is silver and has been for quite a few years.
It first started losing colour in my mid thirties and at that time I was a little perturbed and tried some of the proprietory male colouring agents. Unfortunately, the colour that these gave was far from natural looking, so I decided that I would leave it as it is. After 20 years of having hair this colour, I think I have got used to it. Now the only problem is thinning hair...but then again, who wants fat hair.

#393225 - Sun Oct 21 2007 03:47 PM Re: Going grey
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
About five years ago I started going gray around the temples (I also have a five year old son. Coincidence? I think not! ) You can only really see it if I lift my fringe so I'm not worried about it. Not yet anyway!

#393226 - Sun Oct 21 2007 03:51 PM Re: Going grey
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:

Now the only problem is thinning hair...but then again, who wants fat hair.

ROFL!! HAHA! You've just put me in a good mood for the day.

My husband is grey, totally, and started going that way in his early 20s. He never did anything about it and put up with the good natured jeers from his mates. He's getting the last laugh now as they're all going bald.

#393227 - Sun Oct 21 2007 04:36 PM Re: Going grey
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I think for men most are more concerned about hair full stop by 30 than what colour it is. I think grey suits many people, and I think with my otherwise dark colouring any grey is a nice contrast. Like my mother mine is mainly at the temples, but I'm quite happy for it to spread if it wants to but my mother's hasn't past 70 so who can tell. There's not much on top to catch up while there is any I suspect.

#393228 - Sun Oct 21 2007 05:24 PM Re: Going grey
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
I am about the oldest here, I think, and like my mum I don't have many grey hairs yet. I have it highlighted every few weeks, as I get sick of mousy brown.The roots still grow through brownish so I am lucky I guess.

#393229 - Sun Oct 21 2007 05:29 PM Re: Going grey
lanfranco Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA          
My husband comes from a family in which the men go gray early but retain incredibly impressive manes. His father is 80, his two paternal uncles in their 70's, and they have the world's greatest hair. The younger male members of the family -- now aged 25-45 -- are also going gray, but their hair couldn't be more impressive. This fabulous silvering is the envy of all who know these men. And I have to admit, I've always found a head of thick, prematurely-graying hair above a young man's face to be amazingly sexy.

I have fine hair that began going gray when I was only 25, and I still have it colored to an ashy gray-blonde, about a shade and a half lighter than my natural color. But I've decided that someday, when I hit 60, I'll go for a dramatic icy-white, without cutting my hair shorter than its current "just-at-shoulder-length".

#393230 - Sun Oct 21 2007 09:57 PM Re: Going grey
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Virginia USA
My hubby shaves his head during the work week and lets it go over the weekends. On the occasional long weekend his hair will have come in enough that I can tell he no longer has just a little "salt in his pepper" and is now mostly salty. I have had minimal stray greys up until about last year, now unless I have color on my hair there are definite patches of white strands around my temples. I know such things are usually attributed to genetics - my maternal grandfather "Red" was named so for his (you guessed it) red hair that eventually turned white (Not grey, "redheads don't go grey" as my mother would say) so I guess I am predisposed to this. I used to laugh when people would marvel at my age (we're both 38) as I have a youthful face, but I think those days are gone now that I have these little shocks at my hairline. I believe stress must have brought on the sudden change; having my husband in Afghanistan for sixteen months could have that affect on most anyone, no?

#393231 - Sun Oct 21 2007 10:06 PM Re: Going grey
theresam55 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I started going grey in my teens. The first time I had it colored was for my wedding when I was 26, now I get it done every 4 weeks. I keep thinking that when I get older I'll just let it go grey but the older I get the younger it seems. At 38 I still feel too young to have a full head of grey hair, I used to think 38 was old. I was wrong.

#393232 - Sun Oct 21 2007 10:23 PM Re: Going grey
22busy Offline
Participant

Loc: Iowa USA
I just started seeing a stray gray here and there this year. I have colored my hair just for fun ever since I got married; long before I saw any gray.

My husband is very blonde and I imagine any gray he has blends in. My own color is quite dark and I always assume that when I go really gray, he will still be mostly blonde. (He also has a young looking face) People will see us together and say, "Isn't it nice of that young man to take the old lady on an outing."
:-)

#393233 - Mon Oct 22 2007 12:20 AM Re: Going grey
lothruin Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nebraska USA
I've had a few grey hairs since high school, which is no surprise since my mother had a shock of white hair at her part when she was only 17. Now, at age 30, my temples are quite silver, but it's a lovely color. I've been dyeing my hair for the fun of it from time to time since my early 20's, mostly enhancing some deep red undertones beneath my otherwise dark brown hair, and at the moment I'd like nothing better than to have the reddish ends match the darkish roots, but I really don't want to cover the grey in order to make a color match. Fortunately, the reddish ends are almost exactly the color that my hair turns in summer anyway, and since we're just coming off that season, nothing looks amiss. I love my grey hair. It's a steely, almost gunmetal color that looks like metallic highlights, and it curls in ringlets just like the rest of my hair. I can't wait until I have more of it because I think it will look stunning falling in curling locks down my back.

Edited by Lothruin (Mon Oct 22 2007 12:22 AM)

#393234 - Mon Oct 22 2007 04:09 AM Re: Going grey
peggy5 Offline
Explorer

Loc: New Zealand
I started going grey in my early thirties and never have coloured it. I am now 45. Friends told me at the start it looked like I have had it streaked. My colour was a dark brown. Now I am mostly a sort of grey but even I think it is a nice colour so I am happy. Only thing is, my husband is 7 years older than I am and only starting to go grey now

#393235 - Mon Oct 22 2007 06:34 AM Re: Going grey
lilyalli Offline
Prolific

Loc: Norfolk UK      
If my grey was a nice grey I wouldn't mind, but it's not. I can't wait to be totally white and until that day happens I will be visiting Boots monthly....

#393236 - Mon Oct 22 2007 08:54 AM Re: Going grey
delboy22 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Dijon France via S Wales UK
My problem wasn't going grey - it was going bald. I used to have a lovely thick head of dark blond hair, but I started going bald at about 19, and by the time I was 30 I no longer had a "fringe". As the years advanced though, the greyness crept in. I wear a full beard, and its totally grey, other than tinges of gingery on my 'tache lol

#393237 - Mon Oct 22 2007 09:10 AM Re: Going grey
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
The main problem with white/silver hair is that it 'yellows'. Sometimes I use a blue shampoo but you have to be careful with that as it can go the other way.

#393238 - Mon Oct 22 2007 10:12 AM Re: Going grey
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
I started going grey in my early twenties and have dyed my hair ever since. Some people's hair goes grey gracefully, mine doesn't.

I have an aunt who decided to give up the hair dye in her mid fifties. She is very youthful-looking. She saw a photo of herself with grey hair, looking the spitting image of my gran. She reverted to dying.

I shall probably start dying my hair a lighter colour in the near future. I will always say dye!

#393239 - Mon Oct 22 2007 10:13 AM Re: Going grey
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I wonder what reaction I would get if I started to dye my hair now.

#393240 - Mon Oct 22 2007 10:36 AM Re: Going grey
Mink Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Devon UK
As a redhead, I'm now going grey imperceptibly - people accuse me of being blonde now! I used to hate being ginger as a kid but now I miss my flaming locks! Wouldn't dye though - tricky to get a red that looks natural.

#393241 - Mon Oct 22 2007 12:22 PM Re: Going grey
toadette Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Port Dover Ontario Canada
In my 30's, I developed a white streak in my brown hair. I tried rinses, dyes, but everything just washed out and left the streak. So I gave up. Now it's salt with a little pepper.

My grandfather and my mother both had beautiful white hair, so I'm hoping my turns the same way

#393242 - Mon Oct 22 2007 12:28 PM Re: Going grey
jordandog Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ohio USA         
I would have to say I am pretty lucky. I have had silver temples (wish it was piles of silver coins ) for the last five years or so. The saving grace is that I am a natural light blonde with red highlights, so the silver tends to blend in better. Actually, at the age of 50 I have bigger things to worry about than the "badge of life's trials" I wear on my head!

#393243 - Mon Oct 22 2007 01:47 PM Re: Going grey
missmuumuu Offline
Participant

Loc: Waikele Hawaii USA        
I started going gray in my teens. I first colored it at 19 and kept coloring regularly until 2 years ago (I'm now in my mid-40s). I gave it up because it was simply too much of a hassle and expense to keep it looking good. I live in a tropical area and the sun/water was harsh on the colored hair. I got tired of the hats, trips to the salon, special shampoos, etc. So now I am salt/pepper (with a lot more salt on the temples and bangs!) and loving it.

When I first stopped coloring and the grays started to peek through, one of my students (a 6 yr old) commented that I was getting "sparkling" hairs. So I do not think of myself as having gray hair...I have sparkling hair!

#393244 - Mon Oct 22 2007 02:44 PM Re: Going grey
lynn-ann Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Cape Town South Africa     
I discovered my first patch of white hair when I was 14 years old. Everyone said I would be grey by the time I was 21 years old. Well, I'm 38 now and still just have the one patch. My hair is past my shoulders so it has always been hidden (except of course if I wear a ponytail). I hair dye for the fun of it and because they come with these really soft conditioners that make your hair shine for weeks. I use golden brown but it only covers the white for about a short while.

Now my son, who is 14, is getting white hairs on top of his head. It's really weird because I am the only person in my family to have developed this 'strange' white hair and now I seem to have passed it on. (According to our doctor, it's a lack of pigmentation in that area. We have really pale skin as well.)
He thinks it's cool though and wouldn't mind if all of his hair went white 'like Steve Martin'

#393245 - Mon Oct 22 2007 03:10 PM Re: Going grey
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I find it fascinating how many here have said they started going gray in their teens and early twenties. I found my first gray hair when I was 24, immediately plucked it out and taped it to my bathroom mirror. Like agony, when I began going gray in earnest, it was in streaks, the color was actually silver/white and was quite attractive. I had many compliments so I left it that way. Then a few years ago, I noticed that the left side of my head was almost entirely white while the right side was not.

One night while watching a makeover of a woman on television, I decided to do the same to me. Being only in my early forties at the time, I decided I had been gray long enough and decided to do something different. My hairdresser now will leave most of my silver, but highlight it now with blonde streaks. That way when it grows out, it's not as noticeable as if I had dyed it a different color because I hate seeing gray roots on dark hair.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943