Terms of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#394990 - Wed Oct 31 2007 10:39 PM November Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Hyderabad India           
THE FT TRIVIA ROUNDS

Each day (except Sunday) one of our Trivia Round hosts will post 5 questions that have multiple possible correct answers. Each player should PM his or her answers to the host within the time frame specified (at least 48 hours, but usually more). Each unique correct answer provided (one that was not given by any other player) will receive 10 points, each non-unique correct answer will receive 5 points.

No sign-up or registration is required to play!!! and each player can play as many or as few Rounds as he or she chooses.

Mondays - Gatsby and Bethfay
    Tuesdays - Brandz_mygirl and Denni
    Wednesdays - Cae_16682 and Gatsby
    Thursdays - Nakarinna and Srini
    Fridays - Howie and Denni
    Saturdays - Mugaboo and Cinnam0n

#394991 - Wed Oct 31 2007 10:53 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Round 1: Thursday, Nov 1

As Arnie (the Governor, not the golfer) would say, "I'm Back"! Thanks for letting me stage my third comeback as a host I hope I will cook up something nice everytime it's my turn to host all you wonderful players .

November 1 is the formation day of my home state, Andhra Pradesh. The state came into existence in 1956 and is the first to be formed on a linguistic basis in India. So for this round, I would like to trouble you all with some questions on Andhra Pradesh

1. Andhra Pradesh comprises of 23 districts spread over three distinct regions, the Coastal, Telengana and Rayalaseema. For this round, I would like you to name a district that falls under Telengana.

2. There are two major rivers that flow through my state, Godavari and Krishna . These two are basically the lifeline of the state and have a lot of tributaries that criss-cross the state. In all, I guess there would be at least 20 rivers, big and small, flowing through the state. See if you can name any river that flows in/through Andhra Pradesh.

3. Two major political parties, the Congress and Telugu Desam (TDP) dominate the political landscape of the state today. Congress has been in power ever since the state was formed, till the TDP's birth in the early 1980s. We have had our fair share of chief ministers over the last 50 years. Name any chief minister of Andhra Pradesh please.

4. There is a distinct cuisine for the Andhra people. It is mostly rice based and is delicious, but is usually hot and spicy. From this page here, pick up a food item that falls under the evening snack category.

5. Andhra Pradesh is aggressively promoting its tourism these days and is a favored destination for many tourists. There are a whole lot of attractions in the state for all kind of tourists, be it eco-tourism, historical, beaches, wild-life or the devotional. Pick a temple from this link here for this round please.

This round will close on Tuesday IST (Monday night FT time), so rush your entries if the questions interest you And please feel free to trouble me if you have any trouble finding any of the answers.

Edited by srini701 (Wed Oct 31 2007 10:54 PM)

#394992 - Fri Nov 02 2007 03:50 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
I thought I would make round 2 an easy round to play.

In April, 2002, BBC Travel surveyed it's viewers and composed a "Top 50 places that you should see before you die" list.

Can you see where I am heading with this?

1) Please give me a destination that was placed 1-10 on the list.
2) Please give me a destination that was placed 11-20 on the list.
3) Please give me a destination that was placed 21-30 on the list.
4) Please give me a destination that was placed 31-40 on the list.
5) Please give me a destination that was placed 41-50 on the list.

If anyone is unable to locate this list, I can point you in the right direction.

#394993 - Sat Nov 03 2007 03:07 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Round 3 November 3

1. Name an University in Kenya.
2. Name a part of an Unicycle.
3. Name one of the Directors of Unilever.
4. Give me the name of a fictional book (or series of books) that includes an Unicorn in the story.
5. Give me any Unit of Volume.

I'll give anyone pointers who need them. Round closes noon Wednesday (FT time).

#394994 - Mon Nov 05 2007 05:24 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Round 1 closes in 24 hours...any more entries?

#394995 - Tue Nov 06 2007 05:30 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Loc: Bucharest Romania
ROUND 6 - Tuesday

No specific subject for today's round.

1 - "ONE is the loneliest number that you'll ever do" - the first line of "One", a Harry Nilsson song from his 1968 album "Aerial Ballet".
From HERE please give me the name of a violin player that participated at the recording of this album.

2 - Animals boarded Noah's Ark TWO by TWO. Peter Spier's book "Noah's Ark" won the Caldecott Medal for illustration in 1978.
Give me the name of another author, recipient of this medal, whose winning book has an Animal mentioned in the title. (dog, tiger, robin, kangaroo, etc. )

3 - The Wars of the THREE Kingdoms were an intertwined series of conflicts that took place in Scotland, Ireland, and England between 1639 and 1651.
Choose one of the main events that happened between 1640 and 1645.

4 - FOUR Winns is one of the world's leading producers of recreational marine products and an innovator of new ideas for making your boating experience the very best.
From their official website please pick one of the 2008 models, listed under H Series.

5 - FIVE interlocking rings make up the famous Olympic emblem, one of the symbols of the Olympic Games. Another symbol is the mascot.
Give me the name of any official Winter Olympics mascot.

The Round will close on Saturday noon, Fun Trivia time.

#394996 - Tue Nov 06 2007 07:07 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: St Louis Missouri USA
My apologies but Round 5 will be delayed until this evening ... I will be putting together the final October results too !

#394997 - Tue Nov 06 2007 11:00 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
srini701 Offline
Star Poster

Round 1 Results

11 fantastic players for Round 1! Wow! I don’t remember the last time I had so many entries for my rounds ….thanks a lot to all those who played and for welcoming me back warmly into the hosts’ fold . Without further ado, here are the answers you sent in:

1. Name a district in Andhra Pradesh that falls under the Telengana region.

For 10 points: Rangareddi, Hyderabad, Nizamabad, Mahabubnagar, Warangal

For 5 points: Karimnagar (2), Adilabad (2), Nalgonda (2)

Not mentioned: Khammam, Medak

2. Name any river that flows in/through Andhra Pradesh.

For 10 points: Bhima, Nagavalli, Varaha, Vamsadhara, Penganga, Musi, Sarada

For 5 points: Tungabhadra (2), Pennar (2),

Not mentioned: Pranahita, Manjira, Vedavathi, Vamsadhara and others

3. Name any chief minister of Andhra Pradesh please.

For 10 points: N Janardhana Reddy, N T Rama Rao, Nadendla Bhaskara Rao, Bhavanam Venkataram Reddy, Tanguturi Prakasam Panthulu

For 5 points: Kotla VijayaBhaskara Reddy (2), Y S Rajasekhara Reddy (2), P V Narasimha Rao (2),

Not mentioned: Bezawada Gopala Reddy, Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, Damodaram Sanjivayya, Kasu Brahmananda Reddy, Jalagam Vengala Rao, Marri Chenna Reddy, Tanguturi Anjaiah, Nara Chandrababu Naidu.

4. Pick up a food item that falls under the evening snack category.

For 10 points: Boondi Mixture, Bondaalu, Sakinalu, Upma, Gaare (Vada)

For 5 points: Guggillu (2), Kaarappoosa (2), Punukulu (2)

Not mentioned: Chekkalu, Pakodi, Ponganalu

5. Pick a temple from Andhra Pradesh from this link here.

For 10 points: Dharmapuri, Akiripalli, Kanipakam

For 5 points: Ramappa temple (2), Tirupati (2), Mangalagiri (2), Bhadrachalam (2),

Not mentioned: Sreesailam, Alampur, Draksharama, Sree Kalahasti, Simhachalam, Yadagirigutta, The thousand pillar temple at Hanumakonda (Warangal) and many more!

It seemed smooth sailing for 3 players who had a perfect score till this morning! Then my last 3 entries came in, the whole thing turned topsy-turvy and I had just one of the 3 original leaders hanging on to their lead and a completely new co-winner for the round!

So here are the final scores of a most interesting round

On 45 points and grabbing the winners’ medal are Cae16682 and Szabs

A very close second on 40 points are Denni and Cinnamon

In a big huddle at 35 points are Mugaboo, Jar, Zorba_scank, Nakarinna and Brandz_mygirl!

Coming in next with 30 points is Gatsby!

At 25 points and making a whale of a difference is Howie!

Anything I learnt from the round? "It's not over till the fat lady sings!" Things can change here in a moment The more players, the closer the rounds become....

The first points for November then to Cae and Szabs . Congratulations, you two!

Thanks once again to all you wonderful people and hoping to see everyone of you again in my next round....

#394998 - Tue Nov 06 2007 07:02 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 5 Quiz

Sorry for the delay, but here we go with today's quiz about BREAD!

1 - Of course, most bread throughout the world is made from good old reliable wheat grain. But there are many, many other grains that are used to make bread too. Name another grain (besides wheat) that is used to make bread.

2 - My hometown of St. Louis is home to the "St. Louis Bread Company" which has begun expanding over the past ten years or so and is known throughout the rest of the US as Panera Bread Company. Going into one of the restaurants and smelling the fresh baked breads will certainly make your mouth water! Name a type of bread offered at Panera Bread company from the menu of "Freshly Baked Breads" from Our Bakery Menu .

3 - In looking for all things bread in creating this quiz, I was amazed to find that bread is indeed good for more than just my PBJ sandwich. Name one of the uses for bread according to the Reader's Digest web page about Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things.

4 - The word bread brings back memories of the 70's and that not-so-great group Bread and their hit songs of the time. Maybe it's because they just were played ad nauseum, but it always seemed to me that all of their songs sounded the same - heard one and you've heard them all. Nevertheless, they were very popular for a time. Name a track from Bread's 1972 hit album "Baby I'm-A Want You".

5 - Finally an easy one. Give me a word for "bread" in a language other than English.

As always, if anyone has any problems, just let me know. I will close the round about Saturday morning FT time.

#394999 - Wed Nov 07 2007 04:30 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Round 7 ~ Wednesday

Today's theme comes from the sudden deluge of this apparently "news-worthy" woman showing up on American TV lately. Now, really ... we're talking about a celebrity divorce here ~ don't several of those happen at least three times an hour? This lady, though, is made out to be no better than the matrimonial version of Typhoid Mary (sans the apron and irksome cough, of course)! At any rate, she 'inspired' a question or two. So I give you Mrs. Heather Mills McCartney....

1. Be it fair or not, Ms. Mills is addressed by many using any assortment of other labels aside from 'Heather' or Mrs. McCartney, etc. No, she's summed up using far less flattering terms than those. While I carry no opinion on what badge she may or may not be deserving of (although, I must say, I am an advocate of that old adage: if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, the odds are very good that is, in fact, a ... *well, you know the rest* ) and I will certainly not resort to name-calling, here's the first question today: there is a place online called Golddiggers, Inc., which celebrates pets/various animal-ish things and sells an assortment of (somewhat garish) accessories, too. Have a look at their gallery of contributed pet photos - "Happy Tails" - and tell me the "name/caption" of any one of those ten animals that appear in the nine snapshots there, please, bearing in mind that one picture shows two individually named dogs.

2. To be entirely frank, it sounds like Heather had a bit of a hard way to go in her early life. Divorced parents, errant mother, homelessness - she definitely survived a lot of duress and achieved much more than she probably thought was ever possible when just a girl. To her credit, too, she is a very active fundraiser for many groups for those less fortunate than she happens to be (animal rights being just one of them). An amputee herself, Heather champions the ACA - or Amputee Coalition of America - and Viva! (Vegetarians International Voice For Animals), among other worthy establishments. Since we had an animals question already, let's discuss the ACA, shall we? The ACA has a documented Bill of Rights that they enforce and believe in quite loudly (and it's a fine set of rules, too). Pick one of the entries on that organization's Bill of Rights, OK? Note: Select only from the 'Rights' ~ not the 'Responsibilities'.

3. Heather, or calluna, is actually a very lovely flowering plant - found in moorlands and forests. As always, though, one man's "beauty" can be another man's "blight". For example, heather is the National Flower of Norway while at the same time is called nothing more than an invasive weed in parts of New Zealand. I reckon it's all a matter of perspective, as most things tend to be? Before hops became a widespread component of brewing, though, the heather flowers were key in the Middle Ages when it came to collecting ingredients for beer. With a combination of other "herbs" it became what is/was known as 'Gruit' - often an ale with a mighty kick, too. Given improper mixing and such, the stuff was nothing short of a potent hallucinogen ! Besides heather, please tell me another herb/spice that was used in that perilous brew 'Gruit' (or Grut Ale), if you wouldn't mind. Note: Wikipedia names several, others might be out there. Please provide links if you find some tucked away ingredients someplace, OK?

4. One thing about Heather Mills that really merits no harsh remarks or (light-hearted and generally speculative) jokes is the loss of her left leg below the knee. She was struck by a police motorcycle while crossing a street near Kensington Palace in 1993, suffering a near-fatal assortment of injuries. Again, as testament to her grit and determination, she survived and prospered. While on the subject of Royal Castles, were you in need to hire a venue at either Kensington Palace OR the not-so-distant Hampton Court Palace, what would be a 'room' you might rent for your reception, meeting or banquet, etc.?

5. "When I'm Sixty-Four", a generationally loved tune by The Beatles from their "Sergeant Pepper's" album, took on an ironic twist in this murky McCartney/Mills dilemma. They split up just before Paul's 64th birthday, which seems somewhat cruel. The next album the Fab Four released (in 1968), their ninth official one, was called simply "The Beatles" - but is more widely recognized as 'The White Album'. Each of these albums has gone down in music history favorably, (in my opinion) the former for its inventiveness and technique and the latter for its spirit and brilliantly uncomplicated intentions/presentation. To close off today's Round, I need to know a tune that was on Side 2 of 'The White Album'. Easy as that !

Let's close this one on Saturday, 5PM (FT Time), shall we? Until then, I bid you adieu !

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Nov 07 2007 04:50 AM)

#395000 - Wed Nov 07 2007 12:33 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Mugaboo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Scotland UK
Answers Round 3 - 10 played

1. Name an University in Kenya.
For 10 points: Aga Khan University; Daystar University; East Africa School of Theology; Egerton University; Kabarak University; Kiriri Women's University of Science & Technology; Maseno University; Moi University; Nairobi International School of Theology; Strathmore University
For 5 points: (None)
Not mentioned include: African Nazarene University; Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology; Kenyatta University; Nairobi University; Western University College of Science and Technology

2. Name a part of an Unicycle.
For 10 points: Axle Bolts; Clamp; Seatpost
For 5 points: Crank [3]; Fork-style frame [2]; Saddle [2]
Not mentioned include: Axle; Chain; Hub; Pedals; Rim; Spokes; Tyre; Wheel

3. Name one of the Directors of Unilever.
For 10 points: Charles E. Golden; Genevieve Berger; N. R. Narayana Murthy; The Lord Simon of Highbury
For 5 points: Kees van der Graaf [2]; Hixonia Nyasulu [2]; Jeroen van der Veer [2]
Not mentioned: Patrick Cescau; Ralph Kugler; Michael Treschow; Lord Brittan of Spennithorne; Wim Dik; Dr Byron E Grote; Kees J Storm

4. Give me the name of a fictional book (or series of books) that includes an Unicorn in the story.
For 10 points: "Acorna: The Unicorn Girl" by Anne McCaffrey and Maragaret Ball; "Christmas Unicorn" by Anna Currey; "Hard Booled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Haruki Murakami; "Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling; "The Last Battle" by C.S. Lewis; "The Secrets of the Scepter" by Mary Stanton; "Thistle and the Shell of Laughter" by J.H. Sweet; "Unicorn Point" by Piers Anthony;
For 5 points: "Into the Land of the Unicorns" (Unicorn Chronicles) by Bruce Coville [2]
Not mentioned include: "Black Unicorn" by Tanith Lee; "The Black Unicorn" by Terry Brooks; "The Black Horn" by Clare Cooper; "The Last Unicorn" by Peter Beagle; "The Unicorn Creed" by Elizabeth Scarborough; . . . and many more

5. Give me any Unit of Volume.
For 10 points: Cord; Lambda; Peck; Pint; Tierce;
For 5 points: Cubic Yard [2]; Fluid Ounce [3];
Not mentioned include: Bushel; Cubic metre; Dram; Koku; Puddee; Tablespoon

Scores:
50 points: Gatsby722
45 points: Cae_16682; Denni19; Howie72
40 points: Jar; Szabs
35 points: Brandz_mygirl; Nakarinna; Srini701; Zorba_scank

We have a Uni-winner this round, well done Gatsby, a point is in the mail.

#395001 - Fri Nov 09 2007 02:33 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 8:

Sorry for being late with the round...

I am currently reading "The Golden Compass" from Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. As a result, this round is loosely based on these books.

1. The first book in the trilogy is "The Golden Compass" or "Northern Lights (depending on whether you're reading the American or UK version). A movie adaptation of the book has been produced and will be released in a couple of weeks. Please name for me an actor/actress who plays a named character in the movie.

2. The second book in the trilogy is "The Subtle Knife." In it, a boy discovers a knife that has the ability to cut entrances between worlds. Travel between worlds is definitely not a new theme in fiction; it's been seen in movies, television, comics, and books (among other things). Please name another book containing more than one world (novels featuring a 'parallel universe' are acceptable).

3. The third book in the trilogy is "The Amber Spyglass." This book was the recipient of the prestigious Whitbread "Book of the Year" Award in 2001. Name another book that won the Whitbread "Book of the Year" award between 1996 and 2005 (inclusive).

4. "His Dark Materials" trilogy has been labeled by some as the anti-"Chronicles of Narnia." C.S. Lewis' work has been identified with pro-Christian allusions, while Pullman's trilogy has been seen by many as extremely critical of Christian ideas. Having read both (this is my second time through the trilogy) and having enjoyed both, I'm not going to comment on the preceding statement, but I will ask you to name for me one of the books in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series.

5. Finally, Philip Pullman derived the name for his trilogy from John Milton's epic poem "Paradise Lost" (...Unless th' Almighty Maker them ordain/His dark materials to create more Worlds...) From this lecture on "Paradise Lost," please give me one of the section subheadings (in bold and labeled by letters A-M).

This round will close on Tuesday at noon FT time. Please PM me with any questions. Have a great day!

(edited for grammar)

Edited by nakarinna (Fri Nov 09 2007 06:45 PM)

#395002 - Fri Nov 09 2007 05:10 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

I believe that round 9 is supposed to follow round 8.

If that is true, then here is round 9. If it is not true, then you will only see a blank post.

1) The 2007 World Netball Championships are being held in Auckland, New Zealand, from November 10th - 17th. Please give me the name of a participating country.
2) Please give me the name of a National Park in Poland.
3) "Robin Hood" made a return to the British television screens in 2006 with Jonas Armstrong playing the title character. Please give me the title of one of the 13 episodes in series one.
4) Please give me a site that was added to the UNESCO World Heritage list in 2002.
5) The race that stops a nation was run on November 6th. Please give me the name of a horse that won the Melbourne Cup in the 1980's.

Once again you will find me lurking nearby if there are any problems.

#395003 - Fri Nov 09 2007 05:11 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
24 Hours to go for Round 7....

#395004 - Sat Nov 10 2007 08:31 AM Re: November Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

I've got a pretty good crew of participants for Round 5 so will plan to close up shop in about 12 hours (Saturday evening FT time) if there are any more takers!

#395005 - Sat Nov 10 2007 12:10 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Round 6 is closed.

Thank you to all who sent their answers and I apologise for not replying to some of you for confirmation. I haven't been much on the computer yesterday or today .

The results will appear as soon as I'm done with them .

#395006 - Sat Nov 10 2007 01:52 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

And I will be closing up round 2 sometime this afternoon New Zealand time.

#395007 - Sat Nov 10 2007 03:22 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
cinnam0n Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Round 10

I just read that author Norman Mailer passed away this morning, so my quiz will be all about him.

1. Name any published fiction work by Norman Mailer.

2. Name any published non-fiction work by Norman Mailer.

3. Name any of Norman Mailer's 6 wives.

4. Name any of Norman Mailer's 9 children.

5. Ok, I'm out of questions - so...please make a word of at least 5 letters form the words Norman Mailer.

This will close on Tuesday at noon FT Time.

#395008 - Sat Nov 10 2007 04:19 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 7 ~ Wednesday
"Heather Mills"
12 exciting and creative players !

1. Have a look at the "Golddiggers, Inc." gallery of contributed pet photos - "Happy Tails" - and tell me the "name/caption" of any one of those ten animals that appear in the nine snapshots there, please, bearing in mind that one picture shows two individually named dogs.

For 10 Points:
Hannah, Ursula, 'Pygmy Goat', Katie, Lady.
For 5 Points:
Tramp (3), 'Pig' (2), Sherman (2).

The others were 'Gator' and 'Pony' ...

2. The ACA has a documented Bill of Rights that they enforce and believe in quite loudly (and it's a fine set of rules, too). Pick one of the entries on that organization's Bill of Rights, OK? Note: Select only from the 'Rights' ~ not the 'Responsibilities'.

For 10 Points:
#8 - Be informed about funding for health care.
For 5 Points:
#1 - Receive clear, complete information about your surgery, medical care and therapy (2), #2 - Take part in decisions affecting your health and well-being (2), #3 - Be involved in developing your plan of care (2), #4 - Set goals for what you want to achieve (3), #10 - Be informed about prosthetic and orthotic services, healthcare products and new technology (2).

The others: #5 - Set goals for your physical and emotional well-being, #6 - Set goals for preventing other health conditions that may result from your amputation, including further surgery, #7 - Receive support from a certified peer visitor, #9 - Be informed about returning to work and opportunities for recreation, #11 - Select qualified healthcare providers, #12 - Ask for help when you are unhappy with healthcare products or the care you receive.

3. Besides heather, please tell me another herb/spice that was used in that perilous brew 'Gruit' (or Grut Ale), if you wouldn't mind. Note: Wikipedia names several, others might be out there. Please provide links if you find some tucked away ingredients someplace, OK?

For 10 Points:
Aniseed, Licorice, Yarrow, Wild Rosemary, Cinnamon.
For 5 Points:
Bog Myrtle (aka Sweetgale) (3), Ginger (aka Wormwood) (2), Mugwort (2).

Lots of these, depending on the recipe that caught your fancy. Such as carraway seeds or nutmeg (among others, with much more unusual names...). Many of these 'things'/odd ingredients sounded slightly "Harry Potter"-ish to me (or maybe not...).

4. While on the subject of Royal Castles, were you in need to hire a venue at either Kensington Palace OR the not-so-distant Hampton Court Palace, what would be a 'room' you might rent for your reception, meeting or banquet, etc.?

For 10 Points:
Cartoon Gallery, Hampton Court; Banqueting House, Hampton Court; North Drawing Room, Kensington Palace; The Lower Hall, Kensington Palace.
For 5 Points:
The Orangery, Kensington Palace (2); Red Saloon, Kensington Palace (3); King's Guard Chamber, Hampton Court (3).

There are a total of 16 of these areas for rent. Next time you're planning that special get-together, get your reservations in early ....

5. To close off today's Round, I need to know a tune that was on Side 2 of 'The White Album'. Easy as that!

For 10 Points:
I Will, Rocky Raccoon, Martha My Dear, I'm So Tired, Piggies, Birthday.
For 5 Points:
Long, Long, Long (2), Julia (2), Blackbird (2).

I ran into a 'tiny' wording/interpretation glitch on that question. Whoops! I meant Side 2 of the 4-sided vinyl album that was released. But some saw it as Disc 2 of the CD version. Ergo and thusly (and not expecting anyone to just know what I "meant"), almost EVERY song on the album/CD turned out to be acceptable.

[*Insert crowd noises here*] The Results!....

brandz_mygirl ... 45 Points! ~~ Bravo! Well done !
Jar ... 40 Points!
bethfay, cae_16682, cinnamOn, denni19, Mugaboo, szabs ... 35 Points!
Howie72, nakarinna, srini701, zorba_scank ... 30 Points!

Well, the lead was shared all over the world there for a good amount of time, then it went directly to Texas for a while but - all of a sudden - the Philippines stepped in and ruled the roost ! Hearty congratulations (and that coveted 'point' for the scoreboard, too) to brandz_mygirl! Thank you to everyone who joined in ~ you all did a superb job. Have a great *whatever it is where you live, at this particular time of the day or night*! See you in a few days.

#395009 - Sun Nov 11 2007 08:55 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
Round 12 ~ Monday

Considering that, in my last round of questions, I made a few (slightly cloaked) disparaging remarks about Heather Mills - who, for all I really know, might be both a lovely and engaging creature - I was slightly ashamed of my unnecessarily insulting self ! Which, immediately, led to...

1. It would be pretty much unlikely for an American to assemble thoughts on the sport of insults without mentioning the fellow who is widely considered the Master of them in US entertainment/media. That'd be actor/comedian Don Rickles, who was born in NYC in 1926 and has been sharing his particular brand of biting (albeit good-natured) humor for 50 years now. Aside from standup, TV series, films and just about everything else, Rickles has a few recordings to his credit as well. In 1969 he released an album called "Don Rickles Speaks". Might you tell me the title of a track on that record, please?

2. David Rosen, a disgraced one-time fundraiser for Senator Hillary Clinton (yes, he was acquitted ... but the disgrace still lingers), has taken to being a very verbal sort, in various media. He compiled a list of 'America's Top 10 Sex Scandals', addressing the insultingly shameful (perhaps shameLESS?) behaviors of our leaders in their private and/or public lives from The Continental Congress all the way up to George W. Bush . He's clearly a Democrat AND true to his Clinton ties since the President Bill/ Monica Lewinsky "friskiness" did not make his list. Ahem. At any rate, please tell me the name of one of the ten American leaders, throughout history, that DID make David Rosen's list, OK? No need to give any details on what they did to earn their inclusion ~ just their name will do .

3. To my mostly gentle nature, a most insulting feature of the human condition is bigotry and the hatred that comes with it. It is, truly, an insult to the intelligence that over time so many people have hated so many other people (that they didn't even know) because of where they were born, what color their skin was/is, which faith sustains them or even who they loved ! Aside from assaulting our intelligence with it, these hatemongers like to insult our otherwise purposeful view with it, too - wearing or painting or carrying symbols that represent their overriding unpleasantness. From this unsavory gallery, please tell me the name of a symbol used by either Neo-Nazis or Skinheads, if you can stand looking through them...

4. Yikes. Some folks are prone to every insult in the book just by getting out of bed in the morning . Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, would likely be one of them (not that she didn't invite her fair shair of scorn - with the quite able assistance of her married suitor at the time, the not-so-angelic [by a furlong] Prince Charles). To the bulk of the public, Camilla pulled a most glaring social insult recently by even considering attending the publicized memorial service for Princess Diana this year. The woman must have (wisely) known she was asking for trouble ~ and spent the day nicely secluded in her private estate in the British countryside. It is reasonable to expect that there will be plenty of time to say mean and despicable things about her soon enough; that time, however, she dodged the bullet. Anyway, Camilla was born on July 17, 1947. This time, may I ask of you to name another celebrated person who was born on that date (July 17) in the 1940s? Any sort of 'celebrity'/notable human will be just fine.

5. Clearly, the material for books is a bottomless abyss in terms of subject matter. To wit: there is a collection (which, actually, looks pretty darned readable and/or hysterical) called "How to Insult, Abuse and Insinuate in Classical Latin" , by Michelle Lovric & Nikiforos Doxiadis Mardas. In the event that you might be doing some early Holiday shopping over at Amazon, have a look at that book's cover. On it there are two animated statues (Venus de Milo and David, I think) having a short conversation. Please tell me a word from that front-cover "chat" between those two that has FOUR or more letters in it, if you would be so kind.

This will close on Thursday evening. I'll ring a bell or bang a gong (or some other noisy something) in advance, for all "last minute shoppers" . Have a very happy week!

#395010 - Sun Nov 11 2007 09:16 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
bethfay Offline
Forum Adept

Round 5 Results

There were 10 great players! for the BREAD round!

1 - Name another grain (besides wheat) that is used to make bread.
For 10 points: millet; teff; triticale; jowar (sorghum)
For 5 points: barley (2); quinoa (2); rye (2)
Not mentioned: amaranth; corn; oats; lentils; rice; spelt and many others

2 - Name a type of bread offered at Panera Bread company from the menu of "Freshly Baked Breads" from Our Bakery Menu.
For 10 points: Sesame Semolina; Asiago Cheese; Three-Seed; Stone-Milled Rye; Tomato Basil; White Whole-Grain; French Bread; Sourdough
For 5 points: Country (2)
Not mentioned: Three Cheese; Focaccia; Ciabatta; Cinnamon Raisin; Honey Wheat; Sunflower

3 - Name one of the uses for bread according to the Reader's Digest web page about Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things.
For 10 points: soak up grease and stop flare-ups; remove scorched taste from rice
For 5 points: pick up glass fragments (4); dust oil paintings (2); clean walls and wallpaper (2)
Not mentioned: soften up hard marshmallows; absorb vegetable odors

4 - Name a track from Bread's 1972 hit album "Baby I'm-A Want You".
For 10 points: "Nobody Like You"; "I Don't Love You"; "Mother Freedom"
For 5 points: "Dream Lady" (2); "Diary" (2); "Just Like Yesterday" (3)
Not mentioned: "Baby I'm-A Want You"; "Down on my Knees"; "Everything I Own"; "Daughter"; "Games of Magic"; "This Isn't What the Governmeant"

5 - Give me a word for "bread" in a language other than English.
For 10 points: leib (Estonian); chleb (Czech); rotte (Telugu); brod (Norwegian); kenyer (Hungarian); pao (Portuguese); braud (Icelandic); pav (Hindi)
For 5 points: pan (Spanish) [2]
Not mentioned: pain (French); pane (Italian); brot (German); kruha (Croatian); ekmek (Turkish); brood (Dutch)

And the results are ...

With 45 points: gatsby
With 40 points: szabs; brandz_mygirl; nakarinna; zorba_scank
With 35 points: cae_16682; srini; mugaboo; cinnamon
With 30 points: jar

Congratulations! to gatsby for a "clear win" on this round and many thanks to all the fine players for participating!

#395011 - Sun Nov 11 2007 10:19 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 2 is closed.

#395012 - Sun Nov 11 2007 11:31 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Round 2 saw 13 thoughtful players sending answers in:

In April, 2002, BBC Travel surveyed it's viewers and composed a "Top 50 places that you should see before you die" list.

1) Please give me a destination that was placed 1-10 on the list.
10 Points: Great Barrier Reef - Australia, South Island - New Zealand, Golden Temple at Amritsar - India, Las Vegas - USA, Sydney - Australia, New York - USA, Taj Mahal - India
5 Points: Grand Canyon - USA (4), Cape Town and Table Mountain - South Africa (2)
Not Mentioned: Florida - USA

2) Please give me a destination that was placed 11-20 on the list.
10 Points: Canadian Rockies - Canada, Uluru - Australia, Great Wall of China - China
5 Points: Chichen Itza - Mexico (2), Machu Picchu - Peru (2), Niagara Falls - USA/Canada (2), Petra - Jordan (4)
Not Mentioned: The Pyramids - Egypt, Venice - Italy, Maldive Islands

3) Please give me a destination that was placed 21-30 on the list.
10 Points: Victoria Falls - Zimbabwe/Zambia, Auckland - New Zealand, Iguazu Falls - Argentina/Brazil
5 Points: Yosemite National Park - USA (2), Paris - France (2), Alaska - USA (2), Angkor Wat - Cambodia (2), Himalayas - Nepal (2)
Not Mentioned: Hong Kong - China, Hawaii - USA

4) Please give me a destination that was placed 31-40 on the list.
10 Points: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, Masai Mara - Kenya, San Francisco - USA, Singapore, La Digue - Seychelles
5 Points: Luxor - Egypt (2), Barcelona - Spain (4), Dubai - United Arab Emirates (2)
Not Mentioned: Galapagos Islands - Ecuador, Rome - Italy

5) Please give me a destination that was placed 41-50 on the list.
10 Points: Barbados, Terracotta Army - China, Angel Falls - Venezuela, Bali - Indonesia, French Polynesia
5 Points: Sri Lanka (2), Bangkok - Thailand (2), Iceland (2), Abu Simbel - Egypt (2)
Not Mentioned: Zermatt - Switzerland

Just one observations today as my dinner is nearly cooked and I must make sure I don't overcook it.
* Just one person gave me the answer of my home place of the South Island od New Zealand - very disappointing...

Now for the results:

45 points - Cae16682 and Nakarinna
40 points - Szabs and Cinnam0n
35 points - Mugaboo, Gatsby, and Brandz_mygirl
30 points - Srini, Denni, and Lizard_Wizard
25 points - Jar, Zorba, and Bethfay

Thank you to everyone who played and well done to Cae16682 and Nakarinna who, among a well spread out field, clambered over everyone in search of a November point.

I will hopefully see you all here again next time which by a strange coincident, has already been posted.

#395013 - Mon Nov 12 2007 12:22 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
nakarinna Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Chicago Illinois USA
Round 8 will be closing in a little less than 24 hours... There's plenty of room for more entries!

#395014 - Mon Nov 12 2007 01:40 PM Re: November Trivia Rounds
denni19 Offline

Results for ROUND 6 - Tuesday [My sincere apologies for the delay]

12 contestants for the ‘theme-less’ round . Thank you all for participating!

1 - "ONE is the loneliest number that you'll ever do" - the first line of "One", a Harry Nilsson song from his 1968 album "Aerial Ballet".
From HERE please give me the name of a violin player that participated at the recording of this album.

10 points: Tibor Zelig, Alfred Lustgarten, Darrel Terwilliger

5 points: Arnold Belnick [2], James Getzoff [3], Leonard Atkins [2], Leonard Malarsky [2]

Not mentioned: Jerome J. Reisler, William Weiss, Wilbert Nuttycombe

2 - Animals boarded Noah's Ark TWO by TWO. Peter Spier's book "Noah's Ark" won the Caldecott Medal for illustration in 1978.
Give me the name of another author, recipient of this medal, whose winning book has an Animal mentioned in the title.

10 points: Marcia Brown ("Once A Mouse"), Paul Goble ("The Girl Who Loved Horses")

5 points: Maud and Miska Petersham ("The Rooster Crows") [2], Lynd Ward ("The Biggest Bear") [2], Barbara Cooney ("Chanticleer and the Fox") [4], Robert McCloskey ("Make Way For Ducklings") [2]

Not mentioned: Eric Rohmann ("My Friend Rabbit"), Leo Politi ("Song of the Swallows"), David Wiesner ("The Three Pigs"), John Schoenherr ("Owl Moon"), Kevin Henkes ("Kitten's First Full Moon"), Leo and Diane Dillon ("Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears")

3 - The Wars of the THREE Kingdoms were an intertwined series of conflicts that took place in Scotland, Ireland, and England between 1639 and 1651.
Choose one of the main events that happened between 1640 and 1645.

10 points: Irish Rebellion breaks out in Ulster (1641), The Second Bishops' War (1640), Parliament is recalled and dissolved 3 weeks later (1640)

5 points:
- Alliance between English Parliament and Scottish Covenanters, the Solemn League and Covenant, declared. Scottish troops sent to England to fight on Parliament side (1643) [3]
- Ceasefire between the English Royalists and Irish Confederates declared (1643) [4]
- A Protestant Scots army is sent by the Covenanters to Ulster to defend the Protestant plantations (1642) [2]

Not mentioned: 11 other main events.

4 - FOUR Winns is one of the world's leading producers of recreational marine products and an innovator of new ideas for making your boating experience the very best.
From their official website please pick one of the 2008 models, listed under H Series.

10 points: H180, H183, H200, H210, H200SS, H220SS, H240, H260. H310

5 points: H220 [3]

Not mentioned: H190, H203, H210SS

5 - FIVE interlocking rings make up the famous Olympic emblem, one of the symbols of the Olympic Games. Another symbol is the mascot.
Give me the name of any official Winter Olympics mascot.

10 points: Howdy, Glitz, the Snowlets, Haakon, Schuss

5 points: Vuchko [3], Hidy [2], Schneemann [2]

Not mentioned: Roni, Magique, Coal, Neve, Powder, Kristin, Copper.

Here are the scores for Round 6:

40 points: Bethfay, Cae, Cinnam0n ---> Congratulations, my ladies !

35 points: Brandz, Howie, Jar, Szabs, Zorba

30 points: Mugaboo, Nakarinna, Srini

25 points: Gatsby (last this time but never the least )

A very good play and a tight competition for the 12 excellent 'gamers' involved. I would have honoured you all with extra November points but unfortunately one monthly point each goes only to our esteemed winners: Bethfay, Cae and Cinnam0n.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ozzz2002